On my earlier two threads which I have initiated, I was being na�ve about BB packaging. There are some many things I have learnt over the course of my joining on this forum. I am disappointed by my bad experience with carphone warehouse.

It is frustrating as a loyal BB customer because we do not have many venues.
    (1) It is like a �treasure hunt� looking a store which has displayed working BB phones for potential customers to try on
    (2) There are only limited phone retailers selling BB phones. That already imposes a huge problem

I was told there are many threads on this subject about the use of double seals (that is one seal on top of the other). Everyone has their opinions and when you read along members� lines, you know what they are trying to say.

I had a conversation with Blackberry direct (wish I could speak to top executives). I was told shopblackberry only sells new phones and they do not assume any responsibility if you purchase from other retailers including amazon etc. I probed about what they would do with returned phones, they would not disclose.

If you are intending to buy a new blackberry factory unlocked in particular, if I were you, I would pay notice of the following:
    (a) Check the box has single layer of seal (in some countries, BB doesn�t use sticker seal but cellophane wrap)
    (b) Check the store�s terms and conditions. Read about customers� reviews on this retailer
    (c) Think about why the store is selling at a different price

I am hugely disappointed with Blackberry. A brand I hold with esteem is beginning to fall apart.
    01-13-15 03:14 PM
    I can empathize with the shopblackberry.com experience, but how can any manufacturer control unauthorized retailers? It is always buyer beware, regardless the product being purchased.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    01-13-15 03:31 PM
    Your problem seems to be with a purchase from carphones warehouse. BlackBerry does not own or control their practices.
    01-13-15 03:33 PM
    still every berry come with a manufacturer warranty????
    01-13-15 03:38 PM
    I can empathize with the shopblackberry.com experience, but how can any manufacturer control unauthorized retailers? It is always buyer beware, regardless the product being purchased.
    With lawyers. Not real hard.

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-13-15 03:47 PM
    Mine had double tape but looked new bought full price from BlackBerry website via digitalriver... I believe they must take those returned within 30 days, wipe them off, & sell them as new which could get them all jail tim in the USA ...I would believe it if BlackBerry were to give a reasonable explanation... until then, I believe they are suspect enough to warrant empaneling a grand jury...
    01-13-15 03:52 PM
    What was the actual issue you had? Was it a returned device sold as new? Was there anything to indicate it was used aside from a double seal?
    francois626 likes this.
    01-13-15 03:53 PM
    With lawyers. Not real hard.

BlackBerry hates America!
    LoL! Years in court trying to restrict what? BlackBerry has enough issues with sales. Someone like carphones warehouse wants to buy a pallet, they get it. I'm willing to bet Sammy has issues like this too.

Edit - That wasn't hard to find...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=carp...evid=238200485
    01-13-15 03:56 PM
    What was the actual issue you had? Was it a returned device sold as new? Was there anything to indicate it was used aside from a double seal?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-them-988820/
    01-13-15 03:59 PM
    The problem is that BB is saying that they can't control what other retailers sell. That's a bunch of BS because there have been numerous threads from people here who have purchased from shopblackberry.com who have received a device that has the double seals, with fingerprints not the device, dust on the device, or misaligned screen protectors on the device. Blackberry is sending people to their own site and people are still getting refurbs sent out.

ShopBlackberry is horrible and people are way better off buying from Amazon if they can. ShopBB's return process is a nightmare and I know for a fact that two replacement devices they sent me in the past were refurbished because 1 was dirty with smudges on the screen and they told me they would only send me a refurb for the other device I returned.

BB seriously needs to get this in order. Their customer service is abysmal.
    BigBadWulf and kbz1960 like this.
    01-13-15 04:16 PM
    The problem is that BB is saying that they can't control what other retailers sell. That's a bunch of BS because there have been numerous threads from people here who have purchased from shopblackberry.com who have received a device that has the double seals, with fingerprints not the device, dust on the device, or misaligned screen protectors on the device. Blackberry is sending people to their own site and people are still getting refurbs sent out.

ShopBlackberry is horrible and people are way better off buying from Amazon if they can. ShopBB's return process is a nightmare and I know for a fact that two replacement devices they sent me in the past were refurbished because 1 was dirty with smudges on the screen and they told me they would only send me a refurb for the other device I returned.

BB seriously needs to get this in order. Their customer service is abysmal.
    That official retailer is a huge issue that needs addressed. 100% agree!
    01-13-15 04:19 PM
    Yet another happy thread.. geez! "The sky is falling"

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-13-15 04:20 PM
    Aside from double seals... I see no issue. There could be any number of legitimate reasons for this. Which could very well include they opened the box to ensure the device wasn't damaged.

Seems like mountains out of molehills to me. That is unless there is some other complaint I missed...
    BigBadWulf and bbvj like this.
    01-13-15 04:43 PM
    still every berry come with a manufacturer warranty????
    Yes it does as long as you have proof of purchase which is a bunch of BS, BlackBerry should warranty the device and not pawn it off on the carrier or third party reseller. I can take any iPhone, Nokia or HTC device and if I have an issue, as long as the serial number of the device is still in warranty, I can get it serviced and I don't need any BS proof of purchase as long as the device is not reported stolen.

BlackBerry needs to update their warranty to be more in line with what their competitors already have. All it takes is a few bad experiences with a new customer and before you know it, your reputation is toast.

Sent from my awesome red Passport on T Mobile USA
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-13-15 05:07 PM
    I'll take a slightly more pragmatic stance here, to be fair to BlackBerry and what is potentially happening.

We've all seen a number of problems being reported with the Passport device since it launched. Some of the structural failure problems seem to be related to the design of the device. Perhaps in an effort to try to get ahead of these issues BlackBerry is trying to identify just how many devices seem to exhibit certain traits that would lead to structural failure. This could involve opening some of the boxes that were sealed in the factory, inspecting them, and then putting them back into the retail channel. Since the security seals must be put on in the factory, anybody doing this would not be able to reuse the original seal, and would have to re-tape it before putting the unit back into the retail channel.

There is one other possibility. Shop BlackBerry uses a somewhat non-sensical satisfaction guarantee. In fact, the guarantee is so broad that one could easily buy and return devices, over and over again, forever, and in the process have virtually an arbitrary amount of time to return a device as long as the return label is requested prior to 30 days from the date of original purchase. In essence, they are allowing "try before you buy", which for this type of equipment makes no sense at all. This could be resulting in an unusually high number of new devices coming back after they've been opened. It's costly and illogical to treat these as refurbished or used goods as some would have literally had the box opened and nothing more. In this case I can see that certain devices may be getting validated in respect to whether they've truly been used, and if not, re-sealed for sale as new.

If this is what is happening, some transparency would help. Otherwise, I would make the return policy totally different. The device can be returned within 15 days for buyers remorse, otherwise, only exchanges are allowed. The key here is within 15 days, as in it has to have been shipped back with proof in that time frame.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 05:39 PM
    I guess if you are buying at Carphone Warehouse you didn't buy it in the USA. As I understand it (I am not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV), you cannot call a previously opened box, then returned as new. I have referred friends to this Lifehacker article before regarding refubished items:

When Should I Buy Refurbished Electronics?

Specifically this part of the story:

"What Does "Refurbished" Mean?

Although the word "refurbished" may conjure up not-so-reassuring images of retailers and manufacturers resurrecting defective products, lots of items fall under the "refurbished" umbrella. Sometimes a customer returns a product for a refund without even opening the box or using the item at all. There's nothing wrong with it, but the item can't be sold as new and has to be offered as a refurbished product�often at a deep discount (around 15 to 30 percent)."

So there are some protections, again as I understand it, against a sale like this in the USA Again I don't site this for the OP who didn't get his here, but for others who read this thread and are also concerned.
    01-13-15 06:46 PM
    my thing is this ...they offer the passport with a 30 day return ...surely, with the form factor & such, they must have received a sizable number of these back due to simple end-user disappointment... I, for one, almost returned mine due to some horrible wifi connectivity issues I finally solved myself, so far. Where, oh where, are all those "used" passports ?? Could it be they "pawned them off" as new via 2ndary sellers ? Just sayin'
    02-03-15 08:18 PM
    i the US selling goods as NEW when they are not is a serious matter & can result in severe consequences legally... I find it hard to believe an investigation has not been triggered via the FTC or someone in authority (like the state AG where the devices were warehoused & fulfilled, the offices where BB has points of presence in the US, or the AG of the US or one of the investigative arms of same) ??? t'is a puzzlement...

I guess if you are buying at Carphone Warehouse you didn't buy it in the USA. As I understand it (I am not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV), you cannot call a previously opened box, then returned as new. I have referred friends to this Lifehacker article before regarding refubished items:

When Should I Buy Refurbished Electronics?

Specifically this part of the story:

"What Does "Refurbished" Mean?

Although the word "refurbished" may conjure up not-so-reassuring images of retailers and manufacturers resurrecting defective products, lots of items fall under the "refurbished" umbrella. Sometimes a customer returns a product for a refund without even opening the box or using the item at all. There's nothing wrong with it, but the item can't be sold as new and has to be offered as a refurbished product�often at a deep discount (around 15 to 30 percent)."

So there are some protections, again as I understand it, against a sale like this in the USA Again I don't site this for the OP who didn't get his here, but for others who read this thread and are also concerned.
    02-03-15 08:23 PM
    On my earlier two threads which I have initiated, I was being na�ve about BB packaging. There are some many things I have learnt over the course of my joining on this forum. I am disappointed by my bad experience with carphone warehouse.

It is frustrating as a loyal BB customer because we do not have many venues.
    (1)It is like a �treasure hunt� looking a store which has displayed working BB phones for potential customers to try on
    (2)There are only limited phone retailers selling BB phones. That already imposes a huge problem

I was told there are many threads on this subject about the use of double seals (that is one seal on top of the other). Everyone has their opinions and when you read along members� lines, you know what they are trying to say.

I had a conversation with Blackberry direct (wish I could speak to top executives). I was told shopblackberry only sells new phones and they do not assume any responsibility if you purchase from other retailers including amazon etc. I probed about what they would do with returned phones, they would not disclose.

If you are intending to buy a new blackberry factory unlocked in particular, if I were you, I would pay notice of the following:
    (a)Check the box has single layer of seal (in some countries, BB doesn�t use sticker seal but cellophane wrap)
    (b)Check the store�s terms and conditions. Read about customers� reviews on this retailer
    (c)Think about why the store is selling at a different price

I am hugely disappointed with Blackberry. A brand I hold with esteem is beginning to fall apart.
    Dude can you buy a iPhone from let's say Walmart and then return it to apple store? And call them and see what happens. I can understand your frustration but what does this have to do with bb st this point of time?

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    02-03-15 09:13 PM
    Yes it does as long as you have proof of purchase which is a bunch of BS, BlackBerry should warranty the device and not pawn it off on the carrier or third party reseller. I can take any iPhone, Nokia or HTC device and if I have an issue, as long as the serial number of the device is still in warranty, I can get it serviced and I don't need any BS proof of purchase as long as the device is not reported stolen.

BlackBerry needs to update their warranty to be more in line with what their competitors already have. All it takes is a few bad experiences with a new customer and before you know it, your reputation is toast.

Sent from my awesome red Passport on T Mobile USA
    Yes, agreed. Correction where correction is needed.

You're a BlackBerry ambassador, so right, we can't let this practice damage the brand we cherish... :-)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-03-15 10:02 PM
    Country specific issue

Q10 | SQN100-3 | CIRCA 2013
    02-03-15 10:06 PM
    It should not matter where you buy a BlackBerry fone... the warranty should hold up... shame on them for their supercilious attitude... this will finish them off... TLTL !!
    02-03-15 11:28 PM