Alright well, this is my list of things RIM should do to be successful or for customer satisfaction.

1. Lets get QNX out the door. When the time is right, but not too late.

2. Better quality control. I've been hearing a lot of stuff about PlayBooks/9900s with issues.
    I heard Apple uses 4 quality control engineers for one product while a company like HP uses 1. They don't have to have that many, but 2 would do.

3. Apps, apps, apps. Well in the words of Steve Balmer. Developers, developers, developers. :P
    But they are working on this aggressively. That's good to see.

And that would be my list for mainstream success.
    10-09-11 09:27 PM
    My List for RIM's success would be

>Increase Product value for BES / BIS to Enterprise/Carriers, They are becoming less and less relevant, add feature sets to them to make them advantageous!

> Build better tools for Developers, if you make the tools easy to use, people will try them and use them, once you have made better tools, DON'T STOP improving them, sponsor some University programs to get the young developers excited about your platform.

> Bring email/Calendar/ToDo to a new level, what gmail did to WebMail, and RIM did to mobile mail the first time, we need a jump like that, there is a lot of room for improvement to the email/calendar/Todo integration and management, take it to the next level guys!

>BBM apps!, Build inhouse apps, that integrate with BBM for sharing through BBM, and installing from BBM, make BBM as important as facebook to the general population if it is integral to communicating with friends, those without it become outcasts.

There are a few structural things I'd like to see changed in terms of management and marketing, but form the software side these are important IMO.

From the Hardware side I really think RIM needs to make a Curve HD. Put a Curve with an AF 8MP Camera and a quality 2 LED flash, and charge $75 more for it, it can be their flagship camera phone, it needs to be based on the curve line as it has to be affordable to masses, but it needs to have one of the best cameras in the Industry, that gives RIM some bragging rights, without needing to create an entirely new line
    miktro likes this.
    10-09-11 09:39 PM
    Sorry for trolling or flamebaiting...

There's a lot of these threads regarding 'What RIM has to do as a business', 'What RIM has to do in Marketing', and 'What RIM has to do with their software'.

Is anyone who writes these threads successfull in business, marketing, or software coding respectively?

I myself am not, so I don't contribute or start the threads. If you believe that you are so knowledgeable and skilled in your field that you have the ability to "save" a company, ask yourself why you aren't employed by them.

Apologies again, but I've just reached the end of my patience with this type of thread. No more comments from me and no more reading of these threads!
    10-10-11 03:14 AM

There's a lot of these threads regarding 'What RIM has to do as a business', 'What RIM has to do in Marketing', and 'What RIM has to do with their software'.

Is anyone who writes these threads successfull in business, marketing, or software coding respectively?

I myself am not, so I don't contribute or start the threads. If you believe that you are so knowledgeable and skilled in your field that you have the ability to "save" a company, ask yourself why you aren't employed by them.

Apologies again, but I've just reached the end of my patience with this type of thread. No more comments from me and no more reading of these threads!

Lots of reasons to not be employed by RIM, but having been successful in fields that relate to what RIM does, or having backgrounds in fields RIM is part of.

Though I do agree some of the threads about what RIM "needs to do" are pretty fanciful without a plan of implementation beyond "hire more developers who can innovate" which if it was so easy many company's would be doing so.

It is fun to theorize what RIM should/shouldn't do as we have a passion for the company, I couldn't move to RIM as no way am I moving to Waterloo for a Entry level position. as I'm sure many others here have good jobs and wouldn't just give them up because we have a passion for RIM.

Those that know me well know my 1 true fanboyness is for McDonalds, I don't agree with how their till systems work, I don't agree to the way management get bonus, nor the fees imposed on franchisees, could I work for McDonalds? without a doubt, do I? nope. and I have no real interest in applying.
    10-10-11 08:42 AM
    I wonder. I think we need better advertising. The reason so many people are bragging about siri is because Apple once again made it look very superior although looks like it may be buggy. If BB shows the best of what they do they can make people believe its very superior and they will buy it. Its my only suggestion

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-11 08:53 AM
    I wonder. I think we need better advertising. The reason so many people are bragging about siri is because Apple once again made it look very superior although looks like it may be buggy. If BB shows the best of what they do they can make people believe its very superior and they will buy it. Its my only suggestion

Apple could slap their logo on a plastic Tonka phone and people would still flock en masse to the store to buy it.

The main thing RIM needs is to quit trying to compete with what the competition had a couple years ago. Release the wow factor like Apple does time and time again.
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-10-11 08:59 AM
    Apple could slap their logo on a plastic Tonka phone and people would still flock en masse to the store to buy it.

The main thing RIM needs is to quit trying to compete with what the competition had a couple years ago. Release the wow factor like Apple does time and time again.
    Yes you are correct. 9900 is wow-factor. Just not enough because people don't believe its amazing so they don't get it. This is when marketing pops up. They market good people will get it. Its a fact. Also remember that RIM is getting to the WOW! Factor. Don't worry they will get there.

mithrazor likes this.
    10-10-11 09:10 AM
    answer to your questions are yes, yes and yes, and no i dont need to be employed by RIM or anyone as i retired at 40

but to your point, you fail to realise good ideas can come from anywhere, and anyone.. but the win goes to those who capitalise on said good ideas...

10-10-11 11:16 AM

So can RIM. There are people that do the same with RIM hardware, albeit fewer than Apple.

Having said that, I do agree with your post, especially the part about wow-factor.

I think RIM needs to start reacting entirely, and start looking to identify its niche. Heck, RIM could hire some of the saner ones here as product evangelists!
    10-10-11 11:23 AM
    Yes you are correct. 9900 is wow-factor. Just not enough because people don't believe its amazing so they don't get it. This is when marketing pops up. They market good people will get it. Its a fact. Also remember that RIM is getting to the WOW! Factor. Don't worry they will get there.

The Bold may be a wow factor to some, but it's not a big enough wow factor to keep BB owners from straying. I've seen articles anywhere from 25-60% of current BB owners will be dumping their BBs to get the iPhone4s. I'm in that group or I will be when Christmas rolls around and I get my bonus from work, especially now that Verizon is offering a BBM only plan for $10 a month.

I know a lot of people love their Bolds, but I've never been a fan of a physical keyboard phone. I had a Curve but it was only because Sprint had no touch screen BBs back in the day. I hated it. I've always been a touch screen girl and seriously considered going iPhone when AT&T had it, but AT&T sucks when it comes to service here.

I just hope when RIM does get there, it's not too late. They've got a lot of ground to make up. There was a post here on CB about comparing Apple, Droid and RIM in a race. Apple and Droid took off months or even a year ago in the race while BB is just now starting to warm up their engine.
    10-10-11 01:16 PM
    So can RIM. There are people that do the same with RIM hardware, albeit fewer than Apple.

Having said that, I do agree with your post, especially the part about wow-factor.

I think RIM needs to start reacting entirely, and start looking to identify its niche. Heck, RIM could hire some of the saner ones here as product evangelists!
    I disagree that RIM can slap their logo on something and it will sell,
    I have not seen a Single BlackBerry Branded BlueTooth ear piece in the wild, and the BlackBerry Presenter sold to only those that NEEDED it, it was far from a run away success even in volumes that RIM deems successful.

RIM will get a small user base of fans who will give them a shot if something is compelling, but Apple is fortunate that over the years they have made it to the point that if Apple says you have to have it, the masses will buy it, they don't even need to be enthusiests

10-10-11 01:20 PM
    I disagree that RIM can slap their logo on something and it will sell,
    I have not seen a Single BlackBerry Branded BlueTooth ear piece in the wild, and the BlackBerry Presenter sold to only those that NEEDED it, it was far from a run away success even in volumes that RIM deems successful.

RIM will get a small user base of fans who will give them a shot if something is compelling, but Apple is fortunate that over the years they have made it to the point that if Apple says you have to have it, the masses will buy it, they don't even need to be enthusiests

That is exactly what I am referring to... there are people that will buy RIM no matter what.
    10-10-11 01:52 PM
    That is exactly what I am referring to... there are people that will buy RIM no matter what.
    There are people that will buy ANYTHING no matter what, the whole reason the shopping network exsists is based on that.

That argument is hardly the same as the Apple slapping their logo on something and selling it.

10-10-11 02:38 PM
    > Bring email/Calendar/ToDo to a new level, what gmail did to WebMail, and RIM did to mobile mail the first time, we need a jump like that, there is a lot of room for improvement to the email/calendar/Todo integration and management, take it to the next level guys!
    I love this point. Take what has been a strong point in the past and modernize it. There is so much more that can be done with calendar and ToDo as far as integration with our daily lives to make them easier and more productive. Lets think outside the box and be innovative.
    10-10-11 05:40 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    My List for RIM's success would be

>Increase Product value for BES / BIS to Enterprise/Carriers, They are becoming less and less relevant, add feature sets to them to make them advantageous!

> Build better tools for Developers, if you make the tools easy to use, people will try them and use them, once you have made better tools, DON'T STOP improving them, sponsor some University programs to get the young developers excited about your platform.

>BBM apps!, Build inhouse apps, that integrate with BBM for sharing through BBM, and installing from BBM, make BBM as important as facebook to the general population if it is integral to communicating with friends, those without it become outcasts.

There are a few structural things I'd like to see changed in terms of management and marketing, but form the software side these are important IMO.

From the Hardware side I really think RIM needs to make a Curve HD. Put a Curve with an AF 8MP Camera and a quality 2 LED flash, and charge $75 more for it, it can be their flagship camera phone, it needs to be based on the curve line as it has to be affordable to masses, but it needs to have one of the best cameras in the Industry, that gives RIM some bragging rights, without needing to create an entirely new line
    agree! .... curve HD should have an amazing camera .... perhaps qnx phone is that product?
    10-11-11 06:41 AM
    agree! .... curve HD should have an amazing camera .... perhaps qnx phone is that product?
    Not a chance,

the QNX phone will be a phone to "usher in a new era" so it wont be based off of a low end model. maybe moving forward they'll make one, but all in all RIM still doesn't have a grasp of the consumer market
    10-11-11 06:52 AM
    There are people that will buy ANYTHING no matter what, the whole reason the shopping network exsists is based on that.

That argument is hardly the same as the Apple slapping their logo on something and selling it.

How is not? Not to belabor the point, but overly loyal consumers exist everywhere... 4 legs good, 2 legs bad... some people would buy anything with a RIM logo. I see the same on Android.

You could argue a company earns them, and I wouldn't disagree.
    10-11-11 07:06 AM
    Things that Rim need to work on is a server that actually functions in Slough UK.

Second day running BIS down, sorry not acceptable
    10-11-11 07:08 AM
    How is not? Not to belabor the point, but overly loyal consumers exist everywhere... 4 legs good, 2 legs bad... some people would buy anything with a RIM logo. I see the same on Android.

You could argue a company earns them, and I wouldn't disagree.
    The difference is Loyalty vs mass adoption.

Apple has some TRULY loyal fans, as does RIM, as does most company's the difference between the RIM logo and the Apple Logo is that if RIM slaps their logo on it, ONLY their die hard fans would buy it if it isn't great. Apple could stick their logo on it, and their marketing machine could have it sold to the masses, it could be a block of wood with an Apple logo and it will get sold to more than just the hardcore fan base, that is the difference.
    10-11-11 07:15 AM
    Things that Rim need to work on is a server that actually functions in Slough UK.

Second day running BIS down, sorry not acceptable
    would be nice if RIM started to develop a DNS for BIS, even if the DNS supported only 2 or 3 NOC's it would allow them to reroute around a single location issue,

but maintain FIPS on BES devices.
    10-11-11 07:17 AM
    would be nice if RIM started to develop a DNS for BIS, even if the DNS supported only 2 or 3 NOC's it would allow them to reroute around a single location issue,

but maintain FIPS on BES devices.
    Bud I wish they would do something, its incredibly frustrating not having this service.

Fingers crossed they get it back up but as usual the PR has been handled very badly.

CJ
    10-11-11 07:26 AM
    Bud I wish they would do something, its incredibly frustrating not having this service.

Fingers crossed they get it back up but as usual the PR has been handled very badly.

CJ

Couldn't really happen at a worse time

UK where BB is strong, will have the people on the fence about trying the iPhone 4S willing to bite the bullet and switch

the US which thrives on Anything negative will eat this downtime up and sales people when faced with a customer asking for a BlackBerry will have 1 more thing to say to encourage another phone
    10-11-11 07:36 AM
    The difference is Loyalty vs mass adoption.

Apple has some TRULY loyal fans, as does RIM, as does most company's the difference between the RIM logo and the Apple Logo is that if RIM slaps their logo on it, ONLY their die hard fans would buy it if it isn't great. Apple could stick their logo on it, and their marketing machine could have it sold to the masses, it could be a block of wood with an Apple logo and it will get sold to more than just the hardcore fan base, that is the difference.
    The iBlock!

Coming soon to a Lowe's or Home Depot near you.

Apple beats RIM in every way possible when it comes to this also.
    10-11-11 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD