That's true somehow but it's reality. Most people buy phones subsidized on a contract every two years and it isn't that big of a deal if you spend $ 50-200 on an entire phone you use every day. So of you look at it like that you have to be totally into hooking your phone up to your TV to spend another $ 40 on an adapter, which most people simply aren't. A micro HDMI cable on the other hand you find in lots of shops and that works with a wide range of devices and which costs only $3-10 is a different thing.

Posted via CB10
    Again, the adaptors are not that much. Most people can afford and extra $10 or more for a cable, especially if it is for the phone they prefer. No one should buy this argument as a major advantage. Omg, desperation!
    01-01-14 05:30 PM
    The picky ones did not realize the rephrased version says "proprietary", thus the picky ones further answer is out of its element.
    You don't have enough information to tell what was "realized" and what was not. Nice try, though. I'm still waiting for the manufacturer that provides the "out of the box" functionality you alluded to, since it's neither Apple nor BBRY. Maybe you'll have a response tomorrow.
    01-01-14 05:40 PM
    Surprise, surprise: WE ALL KNOW THAT and don't need to be educated on this.
    I highly doubt this.
    01-01-14 05:57 PM
    I can read fine, no need to insult anyone's intelligence unless you are looking to fight, which hopefully you are not as we are all adults here right? Thought so.

Happy new year.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    I'm not looking to fight. You called me out, claiming that I am upset about something and I responded.

What is there to be upset about? I own a device from EACH platform (besides WP8). I have the best of all worlds. If the BB version was better, I wouldn't care since I own it. Either way it doesn't matter to me. I was just stating another platform can do the same.

Have a great night.
    01-01-14 05:59 PM
    Wow this thread escalated quickly

Better android than android. The future is black....
    01-01-14 06:01 PM
    You can actually buy a cable for $7.90. I have one, works fine. Works just like a cable for the Z10 actually. Please don't tell me the $3 difference gives BB an edge. Just give and admit that HDMI is not a BB exclusive or advantage!!! For goodness sake let's show some objectivity and maturity.

Also, Apple TV may cost $90, but it is an amazing experience when you use one in a conference or home setting with and iPhone or iPad or Mac.
    As already declared, I found cheap adapters for the 30 pin connector, but none for the lightning port. So?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:20 AM
    Also, Apple TV may cost $90, but it is an amazing experience when you use one in a conference or home setting with and iPhone or iPad or Mac.
    I know, I've used one.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:25 AM
    No one should buy this argument as a major advantage. Omg, desperation!
    No one claimed it is a major advantage, but still, it is an advantage, no doubt about it. Micro HDMI cables are simple, ubiquitous and cheap. Plus, even when plugged into a TV, the USB port is still free. As for Lightning to HDMI adaptors (you need additionally to the ubiquitous and cheap HDMI cable): as said, I didn't found a single cheap third party one, not even on amazon. All I found was the original one for $50. That's not $7.90. And we talk about the iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, iPad 4th Gen and iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPad Mini Retina here. So the only Apple devices you can use your $7.90 adapter for are at best the iPad 3rd Gen and the iPhone 4S. Apple adapters aren't simple (see the post above where it says that a cheap adapter lasts only 20 uses), they aren't ubiquitous and they aren't cheap.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:35 AM
    If you don't own an Apple TV then you really don't know what the differences are here.

You can obviously stream movies, but it goes well beyond that. You can also use airplay to stream the movie while still continuing to do whatever you want to do on your phone. You can also mirror your device onto the TV screen.

It really works beautifully and there is nothing to it. Yes it's more for entertainment purposes, but so is roku, a Blu-ray player, an x box or play station, or any other entertainment device you might own.

It comes down to preference and what people do with their devices.
    There is month way the iphone battery will last a movie stream. So you need to be plugged in again.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 09:21 AM
    The best solution. Plug a PlayBook into the HDMI, and leave it there. Use your BlackBerry Bridge to control it. Turns any tv into a smart tv. Allows you to use your phone and not be strapped down. Unlike Apple, we also have DNLA at our disposal.

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    01-02-14 09:24 AM
    There is month way the iphone battery will last a movie stream.
    Yeah this isn't true. Over the holidays my sister-in-law streamed an Amazon Instant title to an Apple TV using her iPhone 5. The battery (which was fully charged) lasted for the duration.

The best solution. Plug a PlayBook into the HDMI, and leave it there. Use your BlackBerry Bridge to control it. Turns any tv into a smart tv. Allows you to use your phone and not be strapped down. Unlike Apple, we also have DNLA at our disposal.
    Unfortunately, unlike Apple, you have to search harder for content.
    01-02-14 09:47 AM
    Yeah this isn't true. Over the holidays my sister-in-law streamed an Amazon Instant title to an Apple TV using her iPhone 5. The battery (which was fully charged) lasted for the duration.

Unfortunately, unlike Apple, you have to search harder for content.
    Yeah and not only that. Seriously, having a PlayBook hooked up your TV sounds nice in theory, but isn't that nice at all (I am a PlayBook owner myself). I think we've yet to find a convenient way to browse the web over our TV with (quickly and with performance). The PlayBook does this job, but it's really slow sometimes (although 100 MBit WiFi here).

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 10:41 AM
    There is month way the iphone battery will last a movie stream. So you need to be plugged in again.

Posted via CB10
    It will easily last a movie stream. To make it last even longer just shut the screen off while your streaming.
    01-02-14 11:38 AM
    Hey now, I never said it was cheap, just that it was possible!
    Apple TV does a ton more than mirror displays, as well.

Surprised that there has been little discussion about NFC and mobile commerce on this thread. BlackBerry is way ahead of Apple right now - I'm shopping and paying today by simply tapping my phone at the checkout.

This is the next big thing, and the latest iPhone can't do it...
    I can't even use NFC at Wal-Mart or any of the restaurants I dine at. It's worthless for commerce here.

I'm not scavenger hunting for places to make this useful.

I'm more excited about the trend in early start of more businesses doing same day delivery for online orders (Amazon/Google). That will be a game changer, IMO. NFC is meh...

Wi-Fi Direct, AirPlay, and Group Play are all superior for sharing media. QR Codes are better supported by businesses right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-02-14 11:59 AM
    If you haven't seen this already... check it out.

Mr. Steve Jobs unveils the long awaited iPhone at the MacWorld conference in January 07.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/keynote/#mn_p
    The presentation is running on a pc. The phone is a remote. That is not the same as using a phone to mirror a presentation to a screen. Not only will it look terrible, but it looks unprofessional. Also the whole screen mirrors so if anything pops up its on the screen. If the app crashes the presentation goes down with it. This is less likely to happen on a PC or Mac, or even Linux running OpenOffice.

Office Mobile can control PowerPoint wireless from supported platforms, but no one will mirror the mobile interface to a TV for any semi serious presentation an any semi serious meeting. That doesn't happen here.

The company bought you a computer for a reason.

Yes people do use their phones as remotes for the presentations, but they do not mirror phones to screens and expect that to be taken seriously. They use desktop apps for that.

Laptops/Ultrabooks are mobile. Some of them get better battery life (on screen time) than most smartphones, even.

01-02-14 12:11 PM
    Yep but using a iPad would be just as foolish as a phone right? According to you all presentations should be on a laptop, bringing a iPad into the convo cancels that theory out.
    Read my above reply.

Using an iPad is good if you want to draw on the screen , but again its used as a remote primarily, not as a way to actually run the presentation in 99pct of cases.

01-02-14 12:15 PM
    Apple TV does a ton more than mirror displays, as well.

I can't even use NFC at Wal-Mart or any of the restaurants I dine at. It's worthless for commerce here.

I'm not scavenger hunting for places to make this useful.

I'm more excited about the trend in early start of more businesses doing same day delivery for online orders (Amazon/Google). That will be a game changer, IMO. NFC is meh...

Wi-Fi Direct, AirPlay, and Group Play are all superior for sharing media. QR Codes are better supported by businesses right now.

Sounds like you must live in the United States...

Here in Canada (and around much of the rest of the world) the banks have adopted the much more secure 'chip and PIN' technology for credit and debit cards, which are inherently NFC enabled. Unfortunately most US bank issued cards still rely on the old magnetic card swipe and signature. I read somewhere (in a story about the recent Target hack of 40mm+ credit card numbers, stolen from swipe terminals) that the goal in the States is to eventually convert to chip and pin cards by the end of 2015.

My (Canadian) bank has an app for BB10 that allows me to securely mirror my VISA credit card on my phone, so anywhere I can use my credit card to 'tap and pay' I can now just tap my phone instead. The vast majority of Canadian retailers now have credit card terminals that support chip and pin cards, so no scavenging required :-). Even newer soft drink and candy vending machines and parking meters now support NFC enabled cards and devices.

Given that in the USA chip and pin credit card technology is still years away, the current lack of NFC support in the iPhone isn't surprising. The underlying VISA/Mastercard/AMEX chip/pin credit card driven infrastructure hasn't been rolled out like it has been around the world.

However here in Canada there are already tens of millions of NFC enabled credit and debit cards in the hands of consumers, and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of NFC enabled card readers in stores. NFC has won the race for secure mobile commerce infrastructure and is the now the defacto standard.

At best (if Apple is lucky) iBeacon support might get added into next generation NFC card readers if they can convince the manufacturers to do so, but given that more and more Android phones are including NFC support, I'm pretty sure that at least for a few years I'll still be stuck in the checkout line waiting while some the iPhone user ahead of me has to put down their phone and fumble through their wallet/purse to find their credit card...
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-02-14 12:55 PM
    I don't really care to pay with my phone. I have yet to see anyone do that and the last time I tried a tag in a store I had to take the case off my phone so it can read. Its just too inconvenient to use. If the NFC wasn't so easily destroyed by case accessories I may have tried using it a bit more. But the risk of dropping my phone trying to uncase in a store line isn't worth the alleged benefits.

Also since NFC has such limited rollout you have to carry your card with you anyways, which gives even less incentive to bother. If you have the card. You use the card. No reason as on to enter pins and stuff like that in most cases.

NFC enabled CC isn't the same as using a phone as a CC... if we had those there still would be no use to use the phone to make purchases since you could still just use the card with the same equipment.

We're talking about mobile payments using NFC in a phone. I have found QR codes to be more widely accepted and more usable across different use cases (like boarding a flight, coupons and purchases, at the movie theatre, etc. ).

I don't care for iBeacon because I don't keep Wi-Fi or BT turned on when I'm out shopping or whatever. They use power when not in use due to constant scanning, and that's not my cup of tea.

01-02-14 01:00 PM
    Gimmick.
    I was wondering what Glympse was when I read the previous comment. I looked it up and it sounds like a very neat service/feature. Why do you say it's a gimmick? What Is Glympse: Glympse
    01-02-14 01:53 PM
    Yep but using a iPad would be just as foolish as a phone right? According to you all presentations should be on a laptop, bringing a iPad into the convo cancels that theory out.
    truthfully not even sure what you are trying to say. cancel out what theory?
    01-02-14 02:07 PM
    My (Canadian) bank has an app for BB10 that allows me to securely mirror my VISA credit card on my phone, so anywhere I can use my credit card to 'tap and pay' I can now just tap my phone instead. The vast majority of Canadian retailers now have credit card terminals that support chip and pin cards, so no scavenging required :-). Even newer soft drink and candy vending machines and parking meters now support NFC enabled cards and devices.

Given that in the USA chip and pin credit card technology is still years away, the current lack of NFC support in the iPhone isn't surprising. The underlying VISA/Mastercard/AMEX chip/pin credit card driven infrastructure hasn't been rolled out like it has been around the world.

However here in Canada there are already tens of millions of NFC enabled credit and debit cards in the hands of consumers, and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of NFC enabled card readers in stores. NFC has won the race for secure mobile commerce infrastructure and is the now the defacto standard.
    Yea it's always a bit surprising when you go to pay for something and find that you have to swipe it. I can only think of 2 places that I shopped at in the past 6 months where they didn't use the chip on my card.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 08:43 AM
    Read my above reply.

Using an iPad is good if you want to draw on the screen , but again its used as a remote primarily, not as a way to actually run the presentation in 99pct of cases.

Never been in a school and talked to teachers have you.....this is what they do all day with these things.

01-03-14 10:27 AM
    truthfully not even sure what you are trying to say. cancel out what theory?
    He was saying no one uses their phones for presentations, just laptops or desktops, I just said then an ipads would not be used then either as they care not desktops or laptops. Either way it's wrong, people are using all types of options other than lugging and pulling out their laptop and netbooks to present. The smartphones of today are starting to be used. Some more convenient than others though.

01-03-14 10:32 AM
    While on holiday in the UK this past fall I ran into problems paying with my American Express card all over the place. There were some merchants that simply couldn't take it because they had no way to swipe it. In many, other places the cashier had to ask a more experienced cashier how to deal with it. I made a note to talk with Amex before my next foreign travel to see what can be done about this. It is clear if you can't tap in some countries, you will not be able to pay with a CC. This will almost certainly become a sore spot for iPhone users sooner or later.
    Forget iPhone users, it's more of a problem for American credit card users at large. I have not yet found a CC provider willing to provide a chip card. It was a huge pain for me in the Netherlands during a business trip, and the reason why Starbucks got most of my business (one of the very few places that allowed non-chip cards although foo on them for not allowing payment through their app)

Also, could a phone be used in place of CC at all these units? All the places had a slide-in slot for the chip card. I didn't see anyone tap a card or use a phone.
    01-03-14 10:36 AM
    Using a phone generally requires a special SIM with secure payment. Then you normally need software from the bank which issued the Credit Card. So, put the SIM in, register the software to the SIM. Add your CC details in the software. Tap your NFC enabled phone on the payment terminal just as you would a CC and payment is made. Not many carriers are providing secure payment SIMs (I believe Rogers does) and none of the USA carriers do. The CC issuing institution has to provide software that works on your phone. Since this is mostly Android, it should work on BBs with the current leak.

When European iPhone users see people all around them with Androids tapping their phone at the cafe, they would have to wonder why they have the allegedly top of the line phone but they can't do that.
    That's the thing, I didn't see any of the locals using their phones to pay. It was credit cards all the way. Granted I wasn't standing there carefully counting (not going to risk getting booted out as a weirdo by the only place that took my US credit card!) so while a nice feature to have, it doesn't seem to be that important to most phone users. I should also note that Asia has always been very progressive about doing things monetary via phone but the iPhone is very popular in Korea and Japan despite no NFC. This suggests alternatives to NFC are successful, possibly. I should ask my cousin how payment by phone works there.
    01-03-14 11:20 AM
300 ... 89101112