Yeah its working.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 12:13 AM
    BlackBerry 10 does everything better than Androne. You get what you pay for OP. Stick with the best!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 12:55 AM
    You cannot edit the permissions on Android, you must be careful which apps you download, including Apps from Google Play. Google and Android is a very intrusive OS, you maybe inadvertently giving away your privacy and opening up yourself for big problems if you aren't very cautious, BlackBerry says that Android apps are sandboxed thereby mitigating the risks of using Android apps on BlackBerry 10. I personally will never use Android apps on my BlackBerry to avoid any potential issues. Android is a very open OS and plagued with security issues. If you must, or your friend does use it, extreme precaution needs to be taken. The spamming issue means she does indeed have a virus .Google and Android will blame user error, Good Luck.

Posted via CB10
    This. Thanks :-)

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    07-28-14 01:04 AM
    So the phisher has no responsibility in that scenario? It's only the phished?
    How about those keeping the servers? How about the government? How about the manufacturers of the signalling and receiving devices?

Also, apps don't just send messages on BB10 until you actually hit send.

On the BlackBerry, you can edit the permissions under settings, Security and Confidentiality, App Permissions. Right now, under ePhone, I can block it from accessing my contacts, email, text messages, PIN messages, files, and my microphone. But that's a BB10 app. You're right about the Android apps. So then, that means the Android ecosystem renders both the BB10 device, only under the Android Runtime, and any Android device, in danger of a malicious app going rogue.

Okay then. We've found a hole leaving the end user vulnerable. It's android. See how easy it is with reasoning rather than bringing in your irrelevant discourse tainted neoliberal bias?

Now, off to finding solutions. BES10 can block Android apps on deployed devices right?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    Why did you ask then? You obviously are more intelligent than me.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-28-14 06:32 AM
    You can't add an attachment to an email in WP? I've never used one.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    You can only add a photo attachment, as far as I know. My experience was with WP 7.5 but I don't think this has changed yet. For any other kind of attachment, you can only send a link. As I say, I'm not sure how this is on iOS.

@qbnkelt -- Yes, I was off-topic with that, and I agree that pretty much anything that can be done on BB10 can be done on Android, and Android has capabilities that BB10 lacks. I prefer the way BB10 does many things, and I think many others might too, if they only had the opportunity to try BB10, but at the end of the day a preference is just a preference.

Split-screen multi-tasking is a good example of something that can be done on a Samsung Android (It's a Samsung thing, right?) but not on BB10. I found that I never used it on my S4, but I think it might be more useful on a Note device.

What I like about BB10 active frames is that it gives me an immediate sense of what activities I have "in play" at a given time. Maybe I have the browser open to a particular site, and ReadItNow open, and my calendar open to a particular day, and Remember open to a specific memo. Maybe these things are all linked, in terms of what I'm doing, or maybe not. But with a single swipe it's all there and I either act on one of the processes or close it, or keep it there until later.

In Android, the default is to hold the last state of any process, so it appears when I long press Home. On my S4, there was a distinct lag to this, over and above the delay of the long press itself. Nothing "closes" until I swipe it from the list. This is approximately equivalent to BB10 active frames, but I definitely found it more cumbersome. The difference is that in BB10 the home screen itself is where you see what's open. In Android the default home screen is just...a home screen. But you can long press from within any app to get the list of recent apps, so it's not a huge inconvenience; just a different feel.
    07-28-14 08:50 AM
    I'm lost... the OP needed to sell his used Z10 to make some money... maybe $80 - $100. But he has five Q10 for sell also?
    07-28-14 09:12 AM
    You can only add a photo attachment, as far as I know. My experience was with WP 7.5 but I don't think this has changed yet. For any other kind of attachment, you can only send a link. As I say, I'm not sure how this is on iOS.

@qbnkelt -- Yes, I was off-topic with that, and I agree that pretty much anything that can be done on BB10 can be done on Android, and Android has capabilities that BB10 lacks. I prefer the way BB10 does many things, and I think many others might too, if they only had the opportunity to try BB10, but at the end of the day a preference is just a preference.

Split-screen multi-tasking is a good example of something that can be done on a Samsung Android (It's a Samsung thing, right?) but not on BB10. I found that I never used it on my S4, but I think it might be more useful on a Note device.

What I like about BB10 active frames is that it gives me an immediate sense of what activities I have "in play" at a given time. Maybe I have the browser open to a particular site, and ReadItNow open, and my calendar open to a particular day, and Remember open to a specific memo. Maybe these things are all linked, in terms of what I'm doing, or maybe not. But with a single swipe it's all there and I either act on one of the processes or close it, or keep it there until later.

In Android, the default is to hold the last state of any process, so it appears when I long press Home. On my S4, there was a distinct lag to this, over and above the delay of the long press itself. Nothing "closes" until I swipe it from the list. This is approximately equivalent to BB10 active frames, but I definitely found it more cumbersome. The difference is that in BB10 the home screen itself is where you see what's open. In Android the default home screen is just...a home screen. But you can long press from within any app to get the list of recent apps, so it's not a huge inconvenience; just a different feel.
    No worries love. I wanted to make sure you did not misunderstand me.

I'm out of this one. This thread has escalated quite a lot. See you in a less confrontational one.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 07-28-14 at 10:17 AM.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-28-14 09:12 AM
    Things BB10 does better than Android? In my experience, nothing. I use a Z10 (which I love) and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (which I also love). They both do exactly what I want them, and expect them to do. Period. Again, this is MY opinion and MY experience. I am nowhere near as tech savvy as many of you on this site. Which, believe it or not, is why I come here. I learn things.
    vtpmt81 likes this.
    07-28-14 09:23 AM
    I wouldn't switch only because you won't gain that much for selling your old phone.

I do love my Sony though and Android on it is pretty good the only thing being getting accustomed to finding things now.

Mind you due to widgets the overall layout works a bit better as my pages are now setup for my personal use which I couldn't do with BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-28-14 10:09 AM

When you activated the task switcher, did you have S Voice enabled? On my SGS3 I had to disable S Voice in order to eliminate that lag. Otherwise the phone pauses longer to see if you're actually trying to do a double tap to enable S Voice or if you're long pressing to get to task switcher. With S Voice disabled it doesn't wait for the extra tap. This is why I prefer on-screen task switcher buttons, since many of the capacitive buttons have other features in addition to task switcher.

Other manufacturers do have the split screen feature. I know LG does on some models (the Flex, G Pad, and G3 come to mind). I don't know about others just because I haven't researched them. I know my HTC M8 doesn't.
    07-28-14 10:16 AM
    Op, going to any cheap/midtier android is bad idea.

I just can't understand how going to other carrier and paying premium for the phone (there is no free cheese you know? ) is better financially than just switch operator?

Just go to metro store, ask for sim, pop it in and you are ready to go.

There is no difference for the operator what phone you use.

Posted via CB10 on glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.3247
    07-28-14 10:24 AM
    THAT was my point....they DO it differently.

You're so busy claiming something doesn't exist and attempting to deny clear facts that you totally bypass what I said.

There IS a messaging hub. Had I not killed my device on Friday, as I stated, I could have taken a screenshot.

My post clearly stated that they all do things differently. I did not say which was better. That's up to each individual as per each person's taste.

Oh and do try to have a discussion without the use of infantile interjections. I left over using those in middle school.
    I apologize but please do relax I'm rather blunt in my writing and its not to be offensive.

I don't know of anything called the "hub" in android so you'll have to enlighten me on that if you can...

All I know of is the "notifications center" which imho pales in comparison to BlackBerry Hub and doesn't equate to blackberry pull down menu as blackberrys one is purely for settings and android uses it for both settings, notifications, and messaging..

When you said do same things differently I usually assume that means more than what it is at face value, as if I asked someone for an OS comparison I personally wouldn't find that info useful.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 10:36 AM
    Multitasking and web browsing on low end and mid range phone is a pain sometimes even with high end android phone.

I now hardly touch my laptop. Z10 can handle anything.

Posted via CB10
    I admit I rarely use my laptop now that I have my z30. With my android the browser was so slow I used the pc alot. BlackBerry browser works slick as greased owl crap.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 11:12 AM
    Something just came up. I have 5 BlackBerry Q10s for sale and one person here wants to use PayPal, not Chase quick Pay or their banks similar service, so being the nice person that I am, I go ahead and download PayPal from Snap to create a new account because I deleted my account years ago but it's not working and read it's because of dumb Google services -_-.

Consumers don't win here. I prefer BlackBerry 10 but no PayPal. Android has PayPal but I don't like it as much as BlackBerry 10 lol.

I was actually thinking of keeping my Z10 because I currently believe in only investing in something if it will produce income, well I am using my phone as a tool to make income but no Paypal -_-.

Posted via CB10
    I use PayPal all the time on my z30....use the browser dude.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 11:14 AM
    When you activated the task switcher, did you have S Voice enabled? On my SGS3 I had to disable S Voice in order to eliminate that lag.
    I don't recall disabling S Voice, so that may have been it.

As a general thing, I'm not keen on using long press to execute any commonly used function. For example, in BB10's hub, I have to use long press to delete an email that I don't want to read. I liked the Android method of tapping the identifier portion of the email, along the left margin, and then tapping delete. Two taps instead of a long press and a tap. In BB10, I end up opening the email and pressing the delete button on my Q10 to get the same two-tap experience. Long presses interrupt the flow of what I'm doing.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-28-14 11:15 AM
    QBN, first, thank you for your post. You're one whose opinion I really value due to your cross-platform experience and unbiased approach - while still maintining your appreciation of BlackBerry for what it does.

So now that I've buttered you up <g>, can I ask some questions re your Android experience :

1) What you're referring to when you mention the Hub in Android? Am now a Nexus 4/Kit Kat user and the only thing I can think of that might compare would be the notifications screen but it's not really Hub-like (can't group by communications channel, etc.); Please let me know

2) What SMS app did you use? I find the stock SMS app lacking but haven't found any 3rd party apps that really handle groups well; Handcent is the closest; Most require you use the stock Android Contacts app for that, and I use VCOrganizer (synced to the stock Contact app, but not the main driver for Contacts use)

3) What email client did you use? I find the stock email app adequate, but limited (poor/no search capabilities, etc.)

4) What on-device search app did you use? I hate using Google's search capabilities as they're do invasive and you just know everything is being logged on a Google server

TIA - R.
    07-28-14 11:28 AM
    Exactly.

And if one really, really wants to control permissions on Android, it's possible.
    How? Because I do. My understanding is that with Kit Kat Google removed that API so none of the 3rd party permission management apps work any more.

- R.
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    07-28-14 11:32 AM
    my BB10 device does a better job at attracts more hateful comments than an android.
    ....well that is true...I was wondering the usefulness of a thread like this at first glance. I thought would just be another flame war, however, it helped me to note why some people post the way they do and which OS they have an affinity for.....its educational actually
    07-28-14 11:40 AM
    Things BB10 does better than Android? In my experience, nothing. I use a Z10 (which I love) and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (which I also love). They both do exactly what I want them, and expect them to do. Period. Again, this is MY opinion and MY experience. I am nowhere near as tech savvy as many of you on this site. Which, believe it or not, is why I come here. I learn things.
    This is a solid post. All smartphones can do calls, texts, internet, run third party apps, play music, and shoot photos/video.

I am pretty tech savvy and can get almost any device to do what I want it to do. When I had my iPhone - I jailbroke it so I could send multiple email attachments. When I had my Xperia Play - I rooted and overclocked it so I could play graphic intensive games. My Moto X runs stock Android - so I downloaded apps to give me the features I want that exist on other phones like (like Notification toggle/Battery Widget/Google Now Launcher/Device Manager/etc.)

I know when I get a BB10 phone I will be able to do the same. There will be things I like and things I don't. Overall - I will be able to get it do what I want it to do via apps and coming to CrackBerry for advice.

I think some people just like to argue.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-28-14 11:53 AM
    How? Because I do. My understanding is that with Kit Kat Google removed that API so none of the 3rd party permission management apps work any more.

- R.
    Via rooting.

It's absolutely silly that it isn't a stock feature, IMHO.
    Witmen likes this.
    07-28-14 12:02 PM
    Via rooting.

It's absolutely silly that it isn't a stock feature, IMHO.
    It is a stock feature on at least one Android-powered device. My OnePlus One came out of the box with the ability to edit application permissions. No root needed. The OPO is currently running KitKat 4.4.2 with CM11s on top.

This is a bit of a fun fact, but CyanogenMod comes with CM Privacy Gaurd. The OPO comes stock with CM, but most Android devices don't. Even though that's the case, there are over 12 million Android devices running CyanogenMod right now. So it would appear that there might be more people on Android with the ability to edit application permissions than there are people using BB10 period. That don't include all of the rooted users who aren't on CM.

I'll be glad when the feature is stock for all Android users though. If for no other reason than to stop seeing it mentioned here. Lol
    Tre Lawrence and Berry_Pink like this.
    07-28-14 12:47 PM
    It is a stock feature on at least one Android-powered device. My OnePlus One came out of the box with the ability to edit application permissions. No root needed. The OPO is currently running KitKat 4.4.2 with CM11s on top.

This is a bit of a fun fact, but CyanogenMod comes with CM Privacy Gaurd. The OPO comes stock with CM, but most Android devices don't. Even though that's the case, there are over 12 million Android devices running CyanogenMod right now. So it would appear that there are more people on Android with the ability to edit application permissions than there are people using BB10 period.

I'll be glad when the feature is stock for all Android users though. If for no other reason than to stop seeing it mentioned here. Lol
    Good point re: CM.

That OPO just becomes even better by the day.

One of the benefits of rooting (as you would know) is that I've always been able to manage permissions. Funnily enough, I only do this with one app.

I've never found a reputable dev who won't explain the need for a permission upfront.
    Witmen likes this.
    07-28-14 12:51 PM

One of the benefits of rooting (as you would know) is that I've always been able to manage permissions. Funnily enough, I only do this with one app.

I've never found a reputable dev who won't explain the need for a permission upfront.
    Ha, that's awesome. My experience has been the exact same way. I've always rooted and always have had the ability to modify permissions, but it is something that I've found myself rarely ever needing to worry about.

The apps that need permissions that don't make any sense are the same apps I would never install anyway! I tend to only search for and install the well know applications and just like you said, those apps from reputable developers typically always have permission requests that make sense.

In my opinion, having and using a little common sense when selecting which apps to install is far more important than having the ability to edit application permissions, no matter which platform you're on.
    07-28-14 01:06 PM
    When you activated the task switcher, did you have S Voice enabled? On my SGS3 I had to disable S Voice in order to eliminate that lag. Otherwise the phone pauses longer to see if you're actually trying to do a double tap to enable S Voice or if you're long pressing to get to task switcher. With S Voice disabled it doesn't wait for the extra tap. This is why I prefer on-screen task switcher buttons, since many of the capacitive buttons have other features in addition to task switcher.

Other manufacturers do have the split screen feature. I know LG does on some models (the Flex, G Pad, and G3 come to mind). I don't know about others just because I haven't researched them. I know my HTC M8 doesn't.
    Hey so thanks for the advice on the Galaxy SIII and S-Voice. My sister's SIII and my mother's S4 have been lagging, but not just with the task switcher. They both complained that their phones started slowing down in only a few months, with apps taking longer and longer each day and their notifications being difficult to pull up. Task switcher too, but still. I just thought it was because they were downloading viruses haha; but when I looked at my mum's S4, she only had Facebook and Facebook messenger on there, and my sister only has Facebook, Instagram, and some kiddie videos for my niece. So I think maybe the S-Voice and/or some other Samsung app running "headless" is doing it. Thanks again! I'll try to help them with that the next time I'm home. :-) (if I can figure out how to disable those on Android haha)

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-28-14 01:29 PM
    Android is fine and does the job, however if you text a lot you will definitively miss the hub and the keyboard of the Z10.
    I have a samsung tablet but for emails I use only my BBY, it's much much faster!

Sent from my Z 30
    07-28-14 01:30 PM
183 12345 ...