What? There have never been layoffs or companies going bankrupt in the good old days?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 01:27 PM
    Maybe we should have a moment of silence for the disappointed capitalists who wanted more from their BlackBerry investment! Hahahah
    05-30-15 01:29 PM
    If people didn't put money into companies, you wouldn't have any companies or jobs they provide. Why does anyone buy any stock, other than making $$$?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 01:30 PM
    Why a moment of silence? Chen is doing his job and the stock is still trading.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 01:32 PM
    I hate when people see ceo wages and say they make too much. No they don't, if chen saves BlackBerry he would be worth paying a billion for.

Top ceo's are in high demand and they possess skills others don't. If you think you can do what they do why are you making minimum wage at walmart?

A good CEO can makes billions for a company a bad one (or two co-running) can sewer a company. Poor leadership got BlackBerry into this mess now chen will save us.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 02:24 PM
    I hate when people see ceo wages and say they make too much. No they don't, if chen saves BlackBerry he would be worth paying a billion for.

Top ceo's are in high demand and they possess skills others don't. If you think you can do what they do why are you making minimum wage at walmart?

A good CEO can makes billions for a company a bad one (or two co-running) can sewer a company. Poor leadership got BlackBerry into this mess now chen will save us.

Posted via CB10
    Even if they run it into the ground, they still get paid well with golden parachutes. That is the only issue I have. I'm fine with good CEO's getting paid well, but poor performing ones should be given two weeks severance and a boot up in the arse, not multi-million packages for destroying companies. It is a good ole boys network with CEO's of one company serving on boards of others and vice versa. They all make sure they are all compensated well whether they are successful or disasters.

Posted via Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-30-15 02:56 PM
    There's interesting possibilities that BlackBerry could do to get out of this difficult time. I personally think there's more to BB then hardware they technology or make it a standalone app for other platforms to use.

Sent from my Luminous Lime Green Lumia 930
    05-30-15 03:06 PM
    OP, understanding comes with research. You can start here:

Z10 STL 100-3 running smoothly on10.3.1.2708
    05-30-15 03:13 PM
    Why a moment of silence? Chen is doing his job and the stock is still trading.

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking a moment of silence for all the people Chen has fired, for those who care about people. Or maybe for the 30% reduction in BlackBerry revenue (year over year) that was announced at the last earnings report for those who care about stocks. Or maybe silence for all those former customers who have moved on to stronger competitors after BlackBerry let them down, for those who care about customer satisfaction. Or maybe silence for BB10 itself for those who care about native development.

Take your pick. But yeah, the stock is not de-listed.
    05-30-15 03:14 PM
    Chen's job was always to save BB (the company) and not BB10/hardware specifically. Note that the board didn't bring in a hardware guy, but rather a software guy, to turn the company around. Anyone who didn't understand that back in 2013 was either ignorant of that or in denial about what it meant.

IMO, it's not a matter of if BB is going to exit the handset business, but rather when are they going to exit the handset business. I suspect it will be in 2016, but probably later in the year.
    I'm amazed at how people truly believe BlackBerry can be saved without the hardware division.
    Imagine Dell, HP or Samsung moving into software only. Exactly they become nothing ahem look at the history of HP-UX.
    If the hardware division goes Blackberry is dead.
    If Blackberry is to survive it needs Google to port Google play services in exchange of all the security suites BES and BB10 provide.

Otherwise it is over my friends.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my BBZ30
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    05-31-15 02:41 PM
    Better HP example is HP's WebOS tablet. Great device. On the market for 40+ days. Literally.

WebOS was successful on Palm phones.

I still think it could have been a contender.

One of the main guys was hired to fix the mess that was Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 03:20 PM
    I am in the automotive sector and I have yet to see any of these Fortune 500 companies using a Blackberry device for enterprise?

All I have seen are corporate folks using iPhones and Android devices!! Every time I hear Mr Chen say he is pushing the Blackberry brand for enterprise, then where are they??

Here is the USA, the Blackberry brand is all but dead and buried, I only have a couple of BBM contacts left and those are only because of the couple of BBM groups I am still active in.

Now most of my clients are using iMessage and I am now carrying a iPhone 6+ as my daily driver. I was a loyal Blackberry user from the very early days, but the new business model here has forced me to abandon the brand so I can continue to do business with my clients who now use custom IOS apps.

It's unfortunate that I have to go this route, but business is business and I have to be able to support my clients and they also have given up on the brand long ago. This is reality here now wether you choose to except it or not!
    05-31-15 04:10 PM
    I'm amazed at how people truly believe BlackBerry can be saved without the hardware division.
    Imagine Dell, HP or Samsung moving into software only. Exactly they become nothing ahem look at the history of HP-UX.
    If Blackberry is to survive it needs Google to port Google play services in exchange of all the security suites BES and BB10 provide.

It may be just the "Google Play for Work" apps.

I think the PKB folks are basically ok with the app situation as is but just want a reliable phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 05:21 PM

People said exactly this when IBM left the consumer hardware business (and almost completely left hardware entirely), yet IBM is doing just fine.

I'm not saying that it's an equal comparison - BB isn't IBM - but don't think a hardware-reliant company can't be successful after transitioning to software, because it's happened in a number of cases.

Sure, it would mean BB becoming a much smaller company, at least initially, and would no longer be a company that most consumers, even current BB fans, cared about, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be successful.

But I do think it's a bit too early to pull the plug (I think BB need another year, as Chen has mentioned repeatedly), so until then, Chen has to give lip service to staying in the hardware business. He hopes to have a broad set of software offerings on the market by this time next year, and then he could let hardware go.
    05-31-15 07:46 PM
    People said exactly this when IBM left the consumer hardware business (and almost completely left hardware entirely), yet IBM is doing just fine.

I'm not saying that it's an equal comparison - BB isn't IBM - but don't think a hardware-reliant company can't be successful after transitioning to software, because it's happened in a number of cases.

Sure, it would mean BB becoming a much smaller company, at least initially, and would no longer be a company that most consumers, even current BB fans, cared about, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be successful.

But I do think it's a bit too early to pull the plug (I think BB need another year, as Chen has mentioned repeatedly), so until then, Chen has to give lip service to staying in the hardware business. He hopes to have a broad set of software offerings on the market by this time next year, and then he could let hardware go.
    Well if we are to compare to IBM, I sure as hell hope we have a IBM ThinkPad scenario.
    Meaning sell the hardware division to someone, ie; Lenovo who can invert into Blackberry.
    Thus the Lenovo ThinkPad Scenario.
    I honestly wouldn't mind a Lenovo made BlackBerry.

Thinkpads were legendary but IBM dropped them like trash. Only for Lenovo to sweep them out of their trash bin and made the Thinkpad #1 laptop/tablet for enterprise.
    If Blackberry dumps it's hardware division, I would hope it does to Lenovo.
    I wouldn't mind a Vibe running BB10.

06-02-15 02:36 PM
    You DO realize that Lenovo had designed and built the ThinkPads from Day 1, right? IBM merely provided the logo on top.
    06-02-15 04:41 PM
    You DO realize that Lenovo had designed and built the ThinkPads from Day 1, right? IBM merely provided the logo on top.
    My personal ThinkPad, purchased directly from IBM ( just like ShopBlackBerry...but better!) , Type 2647 was "Manufactured by IBM" "Made in Mexico" . It still works fine today.

Has Lenovo ruined the ThinkPad? - TechRepublic
    06-02-15 05:45 PM
    Ok I get that they don't have money to advertise a new full touch flagship. However, there are loyalist here who are hoping for a new device with up to date specs. How about making and releasing a limited run of the device for us loyalist. If they are gonna make one then we will surely be the first to know through apps like Crackberry. How about made to order. I'm more than happy to pay up to �600 for a full touch flagship. Forget advertising it to the general public. Just make one for us loyalists!

Awaiting the next flagship full touch.
    06-02-15 10:13 PM
    My personal ThinkPad, purchased directly from IBM ( just like ShopBlackBerry...but better!) , Type 2647 was "Manufactured by IBM" "Made in Mexico" . It still works fine today.

Has Lenovo ruined the ThinkPad? - TechRepublic
    Just like your BB 9900 was "manufactured by BB" (via subcontracting to Jabil Circuit). What? You thought BB actually did manufacturing? Lenovo was IBM's contract manufacturer for over a decade before they exited the laptop business and sold the rights to the name to Lenovo.
    06-03-15 12:06 AM
    Just make one for us loyalists!
    I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this, though I know it's going to come across that way, but John Chen has been saying in every interview for over a year that his focus is on pleasing enterprise customers. This essentially tells you that he is not working to please BB's "consumer loyalists" and BB's product line reflect that truth.

Perhaps that will change with the slider - that's really the device that will send the final message to the "loyalists." Either it will have flagship specs or it won't (I'm betting the latter), but either way, it will tell you everything you need to know about BB's handset future.
    06-03-15 12:10 AM
    I am aware brother believe me and I'm not saying Foxconn will take the Blackberry brand and make it it's own.
    What I am saying is keep the brand regardless the manufacturer. You do realize that?

06-03-15 01:05 AM
    Just like your BB 9900 was "manufactured by BB" (via subcontracting to Jabil Circuit). What? You thought BB actually did manufacturing? Lenovo was IBM's contract manufacturer for over a decade before they exited the laptop business and sold the rights to the name to Lenovo.
    I never made any comment about who manufactured the BlackBerry.

My Thinkpad was manufactured in Mexico.

This article and others seem to confirm:

"Of the original group of big names, only IBM keeps expanding in Jalisco. Last year, when employment peaked at some 10,000 workers--it's now down about 20%--the company built more than two million PCs and ThinkPad laptops. IBM also attracted the first of the big contract manufacturers to Guadalajara."

High-Tech Mex Guadalajara, with its stable work force, is the favorite Mexican factory town of sophisticated U.S. companies. - October 29, 2001

The Mexican plan was owned 100% by IBM and opened in 1986.

Prior to 2003 "IBM shifted ThinkPads from plants in Scotland and Mexico to a lower-cost plant in Shenzhen, China operated by a joint venture between IBM and Great Wall Computer Group, a state-owned firm."

An Article on the 2004 sale to Lenovo states - "Lenovo will acquire the PC manufacturing facilities of IIPC, a manufacturing joint venture, of which 80 percent is owned by IBM and 20 percent by Great Wall. Lenovo uses Taiwanese companies to manufacture its notebooks, and it makes sense to acquire IBM’s notebook facility to have better control of operations. With its other facilities, Lenovo will become the largest integrated PC manufacturer in the world — bucking the trend to spin out manufacturing to contractors. Done well, this move could save a critical percentage point in operational costs. "
    Oglon3r and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-03-15 02:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry you hate it.

CEO salaries are too high and they treat employees like paper cups.
    Use them and then toss them.

Via my HTC One M9...
    06-03-15 09:00 AM
73 123