Hey all, I have been searching for this and can't find it (which means I will once I post the thread lol). Anyway Bell has an Unlimited Email option for 15 bucks a month, and since the data plans are so expensive for very very little data size ($25 for 4 MB per month including emails - UGH) I went in and got my plan changed from a shared so I would be able to get the Unlimited Email (it's $15 per month for all the emails you can send and receive, plus unlimited BB Messenger and any attachments are included) and no "data" - if the browser itself connects for web browsing there is a charge of $51 per MB and you cannot have Data plan as well as the Unlimited Email/Messenger on an account.

My question is this - is there a way to block the browser, even with a password, to keep it from connecting accidentally? Would that interfere with the email?
    05-10-08 06:47 PM
    I dont believe so.....BUMP....
    05-10-08 06:54 PM
    Your best bet is probably to hide the icon. I'd create a folder, move it into that and then hide the folder. Harder to find.
    05-10-08 07:12 PM
    Your best bet is probably to hide the icon. I'd create a folder, move it into that and then hide the folder. Harder to find.
    I had already done that - I guess I was hoping there would be some way to actually physically block it without hoping the emails didn't accidentally open a browser...

UGH!
    05-10-08 07:23 PM
    You can if you use unite, when it comes out.
    05-10-08 07:23 PM
    Oh god no. Never again - it took hours to fix the Pearl after I installed it the first time...I will just keep it hidden in a separate folder. Thanks for the suggestions all!
    05-10-08 07:38 PM
    Bell, Telus and Rogers are charging the highest data rates in the World. Then, to add insult to injury, they charge us for the privilege of using their networks. No wonder they are making record profits.

It may be possible to remove Browser. It would require moving COD files and re installing the device OS.

Check Options / advanced options / Browser ...

You can view properties and identify the modules that build Browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 07:39 PM
    Oooooooooo Stoner - I never thought of that! That would free memory too.
    05-10-08 07:40 PM
    About 3 Mb worth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 07:58 PM
    I feel bad for you guys up North... if there was some way I could beam some of my unlimited data up to you guys, I would...
    05-10-08 08:16 PM
    T-Mobile is coming to Canada in 2009. When they get there, life will be good.

Here in the USA, T-Mobile is a godsend. Saves those of us who need GSM service from the poor call connections and substandard customer support provided by at&t/666.

You may want to Google T-Mobile and Canada. I think there are some articles on the Net about their plans to start service in 2009. Apparently TMo has just bought the TMo name in Canada. A good sign.
    05-10-08 08:24 PM
    All data, besides tethering, all your device will be included if you choose to venture through certain loopholes.

via an IT Policy your browser and other non-email icons will be wiped off your device within a week. If you are one of the lucky 1% of the accounts that is missed by this macro then enjoy your unlimited BIS data until you have to make an account change.

This is how we enforce this "Email Only" data plans. Any other questions pertaining this offer just post.
    05-10-08 10:58 PM
    That plan really is sad Rogers and the lot are really taking advantage.
    05-10-08 11:02 PM
    Just to clarify, if you use your browser before it is removed you are not charged anything.
    05-10-08 11:11 PM
    reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally.

So as long as my browser is on the phone, I won't be charged, and at some point if they catch it the browser will disappear leaving only the email and BB messenger?
    05-10-08 11:38 PM
    reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally.

So as long as my browser is on the phone, I won't be charged, and at some point if they catch it the browser will disappear leaving only the email and BB messenger?
    That is correct!
    05-11-08 10:54 AM
    Well (looks at browser icon) - thanks for the tip! LOL
    05-11-08 02:03 PM
    I feel bad for you guys up North... if there was some way I could beam some of my unlimited data up to you guys, I would...
    You could add us to your family plan.

Long lost Bro in Law, does a lot of roaming up North.
    05-11-08 02:42 PM
    You could add us to your family plan.

Long lost Bro in Law, does a lot of roaming up North.
    LOL! Will you pick up all of the out-of-country roaming charges?
    05-11-08 05:53 PM
    Only if it is T-Mobile with UMA.

In practice, replacing the SIM card with one from our national carrier would handle the local and national calling.

Data is the concern. I typically consume 3 Mb a day. That would cost me over $6000 a year in Canada.

Of course, I could restrict my data usage, as most of the community does. When I get an email alert that one of my stocks has crashed, I am not going to wait to find out why.

That puts our business community at a competitive disadvantage, but the carriers are booking record profits.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-11-08 at 08:37 PM.
    05-11-08 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD