This negative perception attack is an attempt to extinguish a brand and declare an outright winner in the cell phone wars. Economics are in play. Perception is a commodity that gets bought and sold by the media everyday. In the US more than anywhere you can see it. On the news nightly, on many INTERNET blog's, all the way to the retail outlets where teenagers sell product. No company has every received such a persistent negative perception attack. Its not like its truly deserved. The rest of the world still loves BB.
    Its more like politics. Where the incumbent is a hometown hero! The other guy is an outsider. People think they can say whatever they want to help their guy win!(I work for a US company and my best friends are from the US. Its not about the country. more about a microcosm inside the country. Just like in politics)
    Todays BlackBerry, BB7.1 is an outstanding device. Never built to be a iphone copy like android. With different and very useful services. Yet the naysayers portray BB like they are the device of 2007. If you love your BlackBerry I hope you help spread the word!
    1.BB7.1 Kicks
    2.QNX, the future of mobile computing!! the rest are just app launchers. Soon people will understand the difference..
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-01-12 at 11:15 AM.
    02-01-12 10:55 AM
    Why would there be a retraction? Even though it may have been the bestseller, doesn't necessarily mean that people still locked in contracts don't want to switch. IMO one doesn't have anything to do with the other..
    Ok, let's say you're right. Now why would a public funded news corporation(we pay a license fee every year and it's draconian enforced) conduct such a survey ONLY on Blackberry and not on iphone, not on android, not on symbian, not on windows 7?

They're supposed to be impartial.

It's clearly picking on Blackberry and that also went out on radio all day, BBC Radio 1 probably the most listned radio station in UK.
    02-01-12 10:56 AM
    BBC - Newsbeat - Newbeat asks Blackberry users if they want to switch

Next day as it turns out, Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in UK and there was no retraction.
    What would they retract? The fact that they reported on a survey they conducted? The article doesn't provide any predictions about U.K. sales, so sales data wouldn't lead to a retraction. They say "there's evidence users may switch" and then cite that evidence. They also cite a guy that says his BlackBerry is fine. So what's the complaint?
    02-01-12 11:01 AM
    Like it or not, RIM has been in the media eye due to the boneheaded coCEOs and their ouster. This has been coming for a while now.

There are more important things in this world for the media to worry about than bringing down a tech company. This idea that all the media outlets got together and decided to pick on RIM is frankly silly.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    02-01-12 11:01 AM
    Ok, let's say you're right. Now why would a public funded news corporation(we pay a license fee every year and it's draconian enforced) conduct such a survey ONLY on Blackberry and not on iphone, not on android, not on symbian, not on windows 7?
    If BlackBerryis the#1 platform in the U.K. as you claim, then people saying they might switch is a story. Similarly, if iPhone were the #1 platform, people saying they might switch would be the story.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-01-12 11:05 AM
    Economist, rickroller, trelawrence.
    The very fact you come to every post like this and fight for your point of view, is proof theres a fight for perception going on. But carry on all the same
    Do you three ever get tired or is it like a job?
    02-01-12 11:12 AM
    The very fact you come to every post like this and fight for your point of view, is proof theres a fight for perception going on. But carry on all the same
    You make it sound like there aren't others who don't fight for their point of view. What good would this place be without some opposition and debate? Isn't that how people learn?
    02-01-12 11:15 AM
    Dapper37:

Ditto.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-01-12 11:18 AM
    If BlackBerryis the#1 platform in the U.K. as you claim, then people saying they might switch is a story. Similarly, if iPhone were the #1 platform, people saying they might switch would be the story.
    You would be right if they came out in the opposite order but the BBCNewsbeat was out first.

It doesn't matter though. It's just pure unprofessional speculation at best and put out there on purpose at worst by a certain group of people intent on making you give up your rights to privacy.

As I said, I'm taking steps from now on to guard what's left of my online privacy.

Did you know that in UK Police and Driving and Vehicle License departments sell, not share but sell our information to insurance companies and solicitors?

Have an accident and soon you'll get a text message telling you you might be entitled to compensation. I still get them years after my last accident.

But it's ok, privacy doesn't matter right?
    02-01-12 11:21 AM
    BBC - Newsbeat - Newbeat asks Blackberry users if they want to switch

Next day as it turns out, Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in UK and there was no retraction.
    Written by someone named mcintosh no less.
    02-01-12 11:25 AM
    As I said, I'm taking steps from now on to guard what's left of my online privacy.
    "Online privacy" is an oxymoron, my friend.
    02-01-12 11:28 AM
    You make it sound like there aren't others who don't fight for their point of view. What good would this place be without some opposition and debate? Isn't that how people learn?
    I make my point to the greater context of this post as well as others like it.
    Don't get me wrong. Its human to have a point of view, even to fight for it. A perception attach is leveraging influence, picking sides wile making like a neutral party. (The main stream media)
    02-01-12 11:29 AM
    "Balance brings Harmony to the Universe"

- Chinese Fortune Cookie -

If that's not your flavor:

"You refer to the prophecy of The One that will bring balance to The Force?"

- Star Wars -

I have more... Let me know...
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-01-12 at 11:45 AM.
    Dapper37 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    02-01-12 11:31 AM
    You would be right if they came out in the opposite order but the BBCNewsbeat was out first.
    The order doesn't matter if what they're reporting is factually true. Now, if there was no survey and they just made it up, that's a problem. But the order in which facts are reportes is irrelevant. The fact here isn't that users will switch, mind you, but rather that their survey indicated users will switch.

It doesn't matter though. It's just pure unprofessional speculation at best and put out there on purpose at worst by a certain group of people intent on making you give up your rights to privacy.
    Okay the BBC's report has nothing to do with privacy, so I'm not sure where you're coming from on that. And the report isn't "specualtion'" but rather the results of a survey.

Did you know that in UK Police and Driving and Vehicle License departments sell, not share but sell our information to insurance companies and solicitors?
    Sure, but I heard that through the media, which you've just told me cant be trusted, so. . .
    02-01-12 11:33 AM
    "Balance brings Harmony to the Universe"

- Chinese Fortune Cookie -

If that's not your flavor:

"You refer to the prophecy of the one that will bring blance to The Force?"

- Star Wars -

I have more... Let me know...
    Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out.
    02-01-12 11:35 AM
    "Online privacy" is an oxymoron, my friend.
    Well Google no longer knows my search history and Facebook no longer tracks me across all websites I visit. Twitter doesn't even let you log in unless you allow it cookies but now I have it set to delete them as soon as I close the page.

It's a start.
    02-01-12 11:42 AM
    The order doesn't matter if what they're reporting is factually true. Now, if there was no survey and they just made it up, that's a problem. But the order in which facts are reportes is irrelevant. The fact here isn't that users will switch, mind you, but rather that their survey indicated users will switch.
    And those "hundreds" of people they surveyed arent indicative of the whole. That still cracks me up. This isnt reporting in any sense of the word. It polling. And as can be seen any time throughout history - polls are garbage.
    02-01-12 12:04 PM
    Well Google no longer knows my search history and Facebook no longer tracks me across all websites I visit. Twitter doesn't even let you log in unless you allow it cookies but now I have it set to delete them as soon as I close the page.

It's a start.
    Do you honestly believe that if THEY wanted to know where you were,what you were doing, eating, dreaming, that there's an "opt out" switch?

The NSA can turn on my phone's mic and camera without me knowing. And you know what?

I hope they hear something good!

Live life Brother.
    02-01-12 12:05 PM
    Do you honestly believe that if THEY wanted to know where you were,what you were doing, eating, dreaming, that there's an "opt out" switch?

The NSA can turn on my phone's mic and camera without me knowing. And you know what?

I hope they hear something good!

Live life Brother.
    Yeah, that's not the problem, the problem is when they take you away for something they thought they heard or if you visit some particular websites or have a certain app installed and then watch your life fall apart when you end up on some list.

It's only the begining.
    02-01-12 12:21 PM
    Yeah, that's not the problem, the problem is when they take you away for something they thought they heard or if you visit some particular websites or have a certain app installed and then watch your life fall apart when you end up on some list.

It's only the begining.
    They can actually already do that with the patriot act. No more warrants needed - no nothing. All they need to do is label you a terrorist and your constitutional rights are suspended.
    02-01-12 12:27 PM
    If I lived in fear of everything that could possibly happen, I would never leave the house. There is cautiousness and then there is paranoia. I don't trust RIM any more than I trust any other corporation because they are all out for one thing, themselves.

Eventually you say eff it and live your life. Much more enjoyable that way.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    02-01-12 02:00 PM
    I guess we're talking about corporate BES email content, right? Because RIM has already given BBM access to intelligence agencies, as well as personal BIS and email service. And RIM has shown themselves to be cooperative with law enforcement in producing customer information and BBM content as required per the laws of the various countries they operate in.

Of course that doesn't include BES email content on corporate or government issued devices. So I guess the premise is that because intelligence agencies can't get this corporate BES content, they decided to send out an order to all of the blogosphere and major media outlets to systematically destroy RIM?

I hoped they used BES to send that order out, because they wouldn't want to risk another Sky News scandal, right?

So on this whole media conspiracy thing, was Sky News part of the conspiracy? If so, why did other media outlets report about the hacking scandal? Or is there like a conspiracy within the conspiracy, kind of a meta-conspiracy if you will?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-01-12 at 04:25 PM.
    02-01-12 04:21 PM
    Some of you guys are paranoid...
    02-01-12 04:42 PM
    I guess we're talking about corporate BES email content, right? Because RIM has already given BBM access to intelligence agencies, as well as personal BIS and email service. And RIM has shown themselves to be cooperative with law enforcement in producing customer information and BBM content as required per the laws of the various countries they operate in.

Of course that doesn't include BES email content on corporate or government issued devices. So I guess the premise is that because intelligence agencies can't get this corporate BES content, they decided to send out an order to all of the blogosphere and major media outlets to systematically destroy RIM?

I hoped they used BES to send that order out, because they wouldn't want to risk another Sky News scandal, right?

So on this whole media conspiracy thing, was Sky News part of the conspiracy? If so, why did other media outlets report about the hacking scandal? Or is there like a conspiracy within the conspiracy, kind of a meta-conspiracy if you will?

No no, I'm talking about the back door built in, Google has reached and deleted apps from devices without the user's permision, IOS has it too, Amazon has deleted books off Kindles and some TV companies have deleted recorded media from DVR boxes.

We're talking the ability to remotely access smartphones without the user's permission and the ability to upload/install/delete apps
    02-01-12 04:51 PM
    Some of you guys are paranoid...
    Oh yeah? Maybe you should check what legislation your president has signed on new years day after declaring he would veto it. See who's paranoid then.
    02-01-12 04:55 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD