We all know media is controlled, just look at how it ignores Ron Paul in USA at the moment, really, you'd have to be really naive not to understand that, mainstream media has always been controlled.

Could the real reason be that BB doesn't have a built in back door like the IOS and Android have? Even the ereader Kindle has one.

Is this the reason Eric Schmidt still uses one?

Thoughts?

PS I am taking steps in guarding my privacy at the moment, no more Google Search, I use www.startpage.com from now on and I'm only allowing cookies per session in my browser (you will be shocked to see how many Facebook is trying to set for example)
    mrrsquared79 likes this.
    02-01-12 05:46 AM
    I do believe your first supposition is the basis for a sense of distrust. The media is not "controlled" by some unknown liberal trust or some secret conspiratorial society. The media reports what people have proven they want to hear. Ron Paul is not ignored by the media, but his recent polling numbers do not warrant the coverage that the two leading Republican candidates get. The same can also be said for Rick Santorum...when you are hot (and they have both been hot), then you are news worthy. When your not hot, then you are almost ignored.

In my opinion, it is not bias, but laziness that plagues our media. People just report a soundbite, not a full story. The former takes little effort, the latter takes some real work. A case in point was the media's erroneous "reporting" of the marketing campaign of the BlackBerry super heroes. Yet just reading the original post clearly shows that they are infographics. And the response on the forums helps to prove that many people can read, they just are too busy or too much in a hurry to read with comprehension.

Without a doubt, people love to shoot the wounded. People love to oversimplify the complex into a 20 second soundbite for media broadcast. We need to be people that are more discerning...we don't believe everything we read nor do we believe everything we hear.
    02-01-12 06:36 AM
    We all know media is controlled, just look at how it ignores Ron Paul in USA at the moment, really, you'd have to be really naive not to understand that, mainstream media has always been controlled.
    The media has always been controlled by something: what people want to see and hear. Newcollector nails it; it's not that some sinister force denies Ron Paul coverage, it's that no one really thinks he can win. It's really not that complicated.
    02-01-12 06:58 AM
    People can't demand what news they want to hear, the news are fed to them and propaganda goes a long way.

Point is, in a world of connected devices with built in back doors(IOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Smartmeters, connected fridge, DVR boxes and even Amazon Kindle) Blackberry is standing out as one of the last private devices.
    02-01-12 09:46 AM
    Could have something to do with Ron Paul being a bat**** racist scumbag who lies about being a bat**** racist scumbag, but that's just me lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-01-12 at 10:01 AM.
    02-01-12 09:48 AM
    Could have something to do with Ron Paul being a bat racist scumbag who lies about it.

And where did you hear that? Exactly, the mainstream media, alternative news sites tell a different story, but that's not what this thread is about really. I just used that as an example.
    02-01-12 09:57 AM
    Oh...I see - if the mainstream media points out and prints the racist scumbag stuff he wrote and is now trying to deny, it's an evil agenda and wrong. Gotcha.

I realise what the thread is about but the conspiracy and paranoia going on because of Googles privacy policy is blowing my mind.

Last edited by reeneebob; 02-01-12 at 10:13 AM.
    02-01-12 10:04 AM
    Seriously? Do we need ANOTHER media conspiracy thread? Get over it already, this has been discussed in length in other threads. Hopefully you guys have stocks in tin foil, because this is getting out of hand.
    02-01-12 10:12 AM
    And where did you hear that? Exactly, the mainstream media, alternative news sites tell a different story, but that's not what this thread is about really. I just used that as an example.
    It actually is true that a newsletter distributed in his name used to contain racist remarks back in the 1990's I believe. In Paul's defense he had nothing to do with it other than his name being on it - the editor for it at the time has acknowledged that Paul has very little to do with it. As a liberal democrat - I would vote for Paul if he would back track on a few of his key positions (allowing states to make abortion illegal is a stance I cannot overlook). I actually find I have more in common with him than our current dem president that I voted for.

That being said - you can flip between any 2 news stations and find contrary reporting on the exact same subject.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-12 10:16 AM
    Seriously? Do we need ANOTHER media conspiracy thread? Get over it already, this has been discussed in length in other threads. Hopefully you guys have stocks in tin foil, because this is getting out of hand.
    I lived trough a complete police state in comunist romania, USA is heading that way too, let's see how you're gonna like it when it happens. Watch your rights fly out the window and just sit and do nothing.
    02-01-12 10:19 AM
    No, I don't think that's the case. If it were just the television media and their internet counterparts that were writing off RIM, I'd think you might have a case although I still wouldn't be inclined to believe it. However, almost every online publication, large and small, seem to share the same sentiment.

It's really not that difficult. The BlackBerry cannot do many things you can do on other platforms and even when it can, it doesn't do them as well or doing them isn't as enjoyable. That's all there is to it. It's just not as much of a joy to use. Really, that's all there is to it.
    02-01-12 10:21 AM
    Oh...I see - if the mainstream media points out and prints the racist scumbag stuff he wrote and is now trying to deny, it's an evil agenda and wrong. Gotcha.

I realise what the thread is about but the conspiracy and paranoia going on because of Googles privacy policy is blowing my mind.
    Ok, answer me this, is it ethical for media to decide what candidate has a chance to win and which one doesn't? Is it ethical for one to be excluded from coverage? Will it hurt his chance to win?

Is it ethical for media to pick on Blackberry, even BBC when Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in UK?
    02-01-12 10:22 AM
    PS I am taking steps in guarding my privacy at the moment, no more Google Search, I use www.startpage.com from now on and I'm only allowing cookies per session in my browser (you will be shocked to see how many Facebook is trying to set for example)
    02-01-12 10:22 AM
    I lived trough a complete police state in comunist romania, USA is heading that way too, let's see how you're gonna like it when it happens. Watch your rights fly out the window and just sit and do nothing.
    Never mind that whatever info you use to reach the above conclusion came through the media, since you live several thousand miles away. I guess those media reports can be trusted; it's only the ones about RIM that should be ignored.

Hypocrisy is pervasive.
    02-01-12 10:25 AM
    Ok, answer me this, is it ethical for media to decide what candidate has a chance to win and which one doesn't? Is it ethical for one to be excluded from coverage? Will it hurt his chance to win?

Is it ethical for media to pick on Blackberry, even BBC when Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in UK?
    The media hasn't decided anything. Interest levels dominate. Most people aren't interested in the Ron Paul candidacy, so it goes largely uncovered. Equal time is a myth.

As for BBC, please provide a link to the article(s) you describe; I'm not sure I can trust your interpretation of them.
    02-01-12 10:29 AM
    ... and the "sinister" media attacking a backdoor-less RIM is hastening this? Okay.

What is funny is that you are committed to privacy and still use the internet. Hey... whatever makes you feel secure. I guess RIM collecting your info if okay.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-01-12 10:29 AM
    Never mind that whatever info you use to reach the above conclusion came through the media, since you live several thousand miles away. I guess those media reports can be trusted; it's only the ones about RIM that should be ignored.

Hypocrisy is pervasive.
    It's simple, BBC reports on 2/3 of uk blackberry owners wat to switch to other platforms at the same time as Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in uk. Conclusion, BBC was talking crap.

Now what if you only ever heard the first bit of news? What would your conclusion be? Would this influence people? Sure it would.
    02-01-12 10:36 AM
    I give in. I hereby blame the media for the Kennedy assassination, the Hoffa disappearance AND destroying RIM.

*never mind that I'm sure most media chiefs still use Berries*

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-01-12 10:36 AM
    It's simple, BBC reports on 2/3 of uk blackberry owners wat to switch to other platforms at the same time as Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in uk. Conclusion, BBC was talking crap.

Now what if you only ever heard the first bit of news? What would your conclusion be? Would this influence people? Sure it would.
    I asked for a link to the report. Your "summary" is useless to me. Also, you quoted the comment I wrote about your "the U.S. is the next communist Romania" line, not the one I wrote about the BBC.
    02-01-12 10:40 AM
    I don't know but if anyone thinks media has the peoples best interest in mind I have ocean front property to sell in Iowa. They could care less about anyone except for how many $$$ your going to spend on them.
    up488 likes this.
    02-01-12 10:41 AM
    Word, rickroller. Wordy Mcword.

02-01-12 10:44 AM
    I asked for a link to the report. Your "summary" is useless to me. Also, you quoted the comment I wrote about your "the U.S. is the next communist Romania" line, not the one I wrote about the BBC.
    BBC - Newsbeat - Newbeat asks Blackberry users if they want to switch

Next day as it turns out, Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in UK and there was no retraction.
    02-01-12 10:45 AM

Next day as it turns out, Blackberry was the best selling smartphone in UK and there was no retraction.
    Why would there be a retraction? Even though it may have been the bestseller, doesn't necessarily mean that people still locked in contracts don't want to switch. IMO one doesn't have anything to do with the other..
    02-01-12 10:49 AM

Those two headlines don't necessarily contradict each other.

Besides, as was discussed here on CB, that poll was worded to get a rise. They do the same poll (with similar results) every other week showing Android users are ready to "switch."

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-01-12 10:51 AM
    I don't think there is a media bias against RIM. Period. , Kevin posted criticism of RIM at one point and the board turned on him because sadly people are confusing liking BB with only ever saying shiny happy things about BB and the minute someone doesnt they are a troll/traitor. It's getting ridiculous.

As far as elections there is media bias on both sides. Faux news *cough*. If someone is dumb enough to vote because of how a news channel reports, they deserve whatever happens.

Last edited by reeneebob; 02-01-12 at 10:58 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-01-12 10:54 AM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD