I've preloaded an 8GB media card with the whole of our record company's vintage music catalogue - that's more than 1K popular tunes from the 1920s, 30 & 40s. Big bands, French chansons, swing, jazz and more.

The album covers & track details look fabulous on the Blackberry and the sound quality is brilliant. So, the question is ... is there a market for this, just for Blackberry owners, retailing at around 150 (the music on CD would retail at 650). Anyone? Thanks.
    05-08-09 06:37 AM
    i would say just shop it around
    05-08-09 07:57 AM
    Thanks - have already tried shopping it around but no feedback as yet. I think RIM should be interested ... watch this space, you never know ;-)
    05-08-09 08:37 AM
    @150? Sounds high.
    05-08-09 08:47 AM
    yea true u might want to lower the price and then give a free trial
    05-08-09 08:50 AM
    I've preloaded an 8GB media card with the whole of our record company's vintage music catalogue - that's more than 1K popular tunes from the 1920s, 30 & 40s. Big bands, French chansons, swing, jazz and more.

The album covers & track details look fabulous on the Blackberry and the sound quality is brilliant. So, the question is ... is there a market for this, just for Blackberry owners, retailing at around 150 (the music on CD would retail at 650). Anyone? Thanks.
    For me, the price is steep. But, that's considering I already have a fairly extensive library from the era, and also that there is a great selection that's already in the public domain. (For instance : Internet Archive: 78 RPMs & Cylinder Recordings)
    05-08-09 08:56 AM
    Would help to know what record company and who are the artists.
    I'd hate to think of some purchasing this and finding most of it
    is not to their liking.
    05-08-09 09:03 AM
    For me, the price is steep. But, that's considering I already have a fairly extensive library from the era, and also that there is a great selection that's already in the public domain.

Hardly any of the records that we've remastered are completely royalty free, ie 70 years after the death of the composer and available for sharing/downloading without legal copyright issues . All of them are in the public domain so far as mechanical rights, ie 50 years after the song was first recorded and that's how we've been able to remaster them. (Although if the EU have their way, it'll be rising to 70 years, hope not!)
    The library that's downloaded onto the media card looks just like you'd get on an iPod, and so you can search by artist, track name, album name, composer and genre. And there aren't any hisses and scratches like you'd find on original 78s.

Maybe we should pitch at 95, what do you think? - the thing is, we still have to pay MCPS for royalties re the CDs that we load onto the card and keep as a 'library' for the customer. In total there are 1,376 tracks loaded - that'd cost shed-loads on iTunes, 7Digital or wherever.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 05-08-09 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    05-08-09 10:14 AM
    Would help to know what record company and who are the artists.
    I'd hate to think of some purchasing this and finding most of it
    is not to their liking.
    Record company is Past Perfect - the rights owner for all of the remastered music loaded onto the media card. We're already selling 'Vintage iPods' and sales have been amazing - boosted by fabulous reviews in the FT, Telegraph, Mail On Sunday, The Spectator and more.

There are tracks from 290 individual artists in the music collection - you'd be bound to find some that you didn't like but you'd also find plenty that you 'never knew you'd like but do' and tracks that you'd 'never heard of but would be delighted to discover'.

Thanks for the feedback, very useful
    05-08-09 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD