Nice thread, very good points from everyone and nothing to out of control considering the sensitive topic .
    I have used BB for the past 2 years, also had the Iphone for about 6months and played around with droid (G1).
    I would not trade my berry for any of those. The Iphone was great, really enjoyed it but for what i want i phone to do the berry is better. I am not that big on apps, don't really browse the web on my cell, don't really play music on my phone.
    I need solid call quality, good battery, emails, and a stable OS. At this moment i find blackberry to be the best for my needs.
    I would love to see a new browser but it's defiantly not my first reason for getting a smrtphone. All I really need my browser to do is a little google search here and there
    But if i had to pick a platform i would go with I would say Android. They seem to be moving up fast and see some very cool things come out for them in the near future. I would not go back to apple it's just to restricted for me and personally not a big fan of apple products in general.
    The Nokia seems to be cool but i have owned some in the past and think the scared me for life to even try there new stuff lol..... but you never know.

I believe that there's something for everyone out there and it all depends on your needs. If you know what you need a smart phone for then you know which one to buy.
    02-15-10 10:10 AM
    I have been thinking the same thing and im thinking I will pick up a android phone and keep the berry as well
    02-15-10 11:17 AM
    As everyone else, I've gotten a little frustrated with the pace things are going with rim. But I can say right now I really don't know what I would get beside a Blackberry. I almost got a Droid but it just didn't feel right for ME. It's a nice phone and so is the iphone but it was just something about them. Don't know if things will go forward or backwards but until I find that RIGHT phone I think I'll stick with them for now...
    02-15-10 11:34 AM
    Blackberry is great for communication; email, bbm, text. It's linkage to office apps like Outlook via BES is flawless.

That said;
    I'm VERY frustrated with RIM's product strategy; subtle device differentiation, deteriorating hardware quality, and an OS that is all over the map w/each device and carrier. It's web experience is non existent.

So... looking down the road... I see myself stuck with two devices; A blackberry for office and a Dell Mini-5 for personal and web.
    02-15-10 11:54 AM
    Blackberry is great for communication; email, bbm, text. It's linkage to office apps like Outlook via BES is flawless.

That said;
    I'm VERY frustrated with RIM's product strategy; subtle device differentiation, deteriorating hardware quality, and an OS that is all over the map w/each device and carrier. It's web experience is non existent.

So... looking down the road... I see myself stuck with two devices; A blackberry for office and a Dell Mini-5 for personal and web.
    WOOHOO finally someone mentioned itthe Dell mini 5 ad it wasn't something bad. I'll be gettin one too friend for a back up to my iPhone.
    02-15-10 12:22 PM
    The Dell mini 5 does look sick....but they say a price tag of about $1030.
    02-15-10 12:33 PM
    In summary, you hate RIM for not making their phones into toys?
    Can we have one thread that doesn't include this remark? It's the stupidest thing I have ever read and completely not true. You sound like an ***** when you use it.

I hate to break it to you but if you think business users are RIM's primary target now, you got another thing coming. They want the consumer market. The one who likes 'toys'. And sadly, they are failing.

I work in telco - and there are a ton of BB in my office, in the hands of 20 somethings who use it for Facebook and Twitter. Not a single person who I know who has one is a business person. It's lucky for them I work there because I am the one who fixes their phones when they can't figure out why their logs and messages are being deleted because RIM is too stupid to put adequate memory on the phones.

I can tell you, I am on my third model of Berry but my next phone will NOT be one. I will be going iPhone.

Here is where you use the "hope you don't want to make calls" stupidity - I don't use my phone to make calls. I had 9 minutes of talk time last month. I use it for web and texting. And before you throw out the "Hope you like fake push email" crack which invariably follows, I am sure I can live without my hotmail emails being instapushed to me.

Keep grasping the straws fanboi. There is a lot of things RIM does well but they are not learning from Palm's mistakes and are rapidly being left behind the pack.
    02-15-10 12:44 PM
    Wow 9 mins of talk time?? If i was you i would get an Ipod touch and forget paying the monthly price for data/line. I see why you would like an Iphone ( add one for 6 months....perfect for what you need a phone you won't regret getting it). But I do about 2300 min of talk last month and i have 5 email accounts setup. 3 of those i need push, also i send out about 50 to 60 email's a day from my berry. The iphone was not for me at all...but for what you need a phone to do ( txt, web) I would say it's perfect.

Quote:
    "Here is where you use the "hope you don't want to make calls" stupidity - I don't use my phone to make calls. I had 9 minutes of talk time last month."
    02-15-10 01:46 PM
    Because of my giant hands and older eyeballs nontouchscreen phones are unusable to me. Iphone and anything Apple I will never buy. Droid or any version of it is not for me. Also any nontouchscreen BB's doesn't fit my needs. My Storm 2 will not be leaving my hand till the Storm 3 come out. I always check out the newest phones as soon as they come out and so far nothing has bested my S2 IMO. Wait and see as RIM will come out on top again. And thanks RIM I love my S2.
    02-15-10 02:01 PM
    If I were to consider another platform, I would pick Android. Google went open-source, so developers will be able to take advantage when designing apps.

I hate iTunes and the way Apple controls everything, so I would never consider an iPhone.

I have a feeling Android will be very exciting, with a lot of possibilities. I also believe there will be many business apps, not just games, available for Android.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-15-10 02:07 PM
    Wow 9 mins of talk time?? If i was you i would get an Ipod touch and forget paying the monthly price for data/line. I see why you would like an Iphone ( add one for 6 months....perfect for what you need a phone you won't regret getting it). But I do about 2300 min of talk last month and i have 5 email accounts setup. 3 of those i need push, also i send out about 50 to 60 email's a day from my berry. The iphone was not for me at all...but for what you need a phone to do ( txt, web) I would say it's perfect.

Quote:
    "Here is where you use the "hope you don't want to make calls" stupidity - I don't use my phone to make calls. I had 9 minutes of talk time last month."
    1) I have an iPod Touch. Had one from the day they came out.

2) I have never used my phone as a phone, it's nice to have for emergencies but I talk on a phone 8 hours a day for work and the last thing I want to do outside of work is talk on a phone. I send 5000 to 6000 texts a month, though.

Sadly we don't have a great wifi system where I live, and iPhone wasn't available on my carrier until just recently otherwise I probably would have had one sooner. I mainly went with BB because when I first got my Pearl the messaging phone craze hadn't kicked in yet so QWERTY was few and far between and I wanted to support a Canadian company. Also, my purse has a HUGE leather organizer in it. I lived by my date book, so I make full use of the organizational parts of the BB. My purse now has more room in it. Win win!
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-15-10 at 02:51 PM.
    02-15-10 02:48 PM
    I see your point. Like i said the Iphone would be great for the usage you want. 5k to 6k texts ... I do like 9 a month LOL. But did you think about holding on just a little longer to see the new Iphone...it should be out by July maybe even b4 that.

1) I have an iPod Touch. Had one from the day they came out.

2) I have never used my phone as a phone, it's nice to have for emergencies but I talk on a phone 8 hours a day for work and the last thing I want to do outside of work is talk on a phone. I send 5000 to 6000 texts a month, though.

Sadly we don't have a great wifi system where I live, and iPhone wasn't available on my carrier until just recently otherwise I probably would have had one sooner. I mainly went with BB because when I first got my Pearl the messaging phone craze hadn't kicked in yet so QWERTY was few and far between and I wanted to support a Canadian company. Also, my purse has a HUGE leather organizer in it. I lived by my date book, so I make full use of the organizational parts of the BB. My purse now has more room in it. Win win!
    02-15-10 02:59 PM
    LOL that is exactly what I am waiting on. I just bought the Storm1 this month because Bell dropped it's full price from $699.95 to $249.95 and I had thrown my Curve down the stairs one too many times and killed the antenna. I am up for contract renewal next month but I was hoping to hold out for the new iPhone. When I saw the huge price drop it was perfect - replace my defective phone with the Storm (which I always liked anyway) and not have to renew the contract so I can go iPhone when the time is right.

My fiance and I live on texts. Between the two of us or monthly text count is between 11000 and 14000 a month. Plus it gets me used to typing on touchscreen - since I have the Touch I know the interface like the back of my hand but didn't have the opportunity to type on it a lot.

I get why some people hate the iTunes requirements and I did feel the same way, even using a Creative Zen Vision M mp3 player because of it. When it was buggy as ****, I went with iPod for the first time and I really have to give Apple credit. No one makes an interface like Apple. I went from a Gen 2 Nano to a Gen 3 nano, iPod Touch, Classic and a Gen 3 shuffle. I always carry my Touch and Shuffle with me and have the Classic, Touch and Shuffle in constant rotation. I despise the media player in the Berry with every fibre of my being. Having the iPhone will allow me to streamline what I carry at all times.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-15-10 at 03:17 PM.
    02-15-10 03:12 PM
    That's great you could sale the S2 when the new Iphone comes and it will cover your cost. 14k txt....man that's allot....me and my girl kill the bbm lol.... we bbm more then we talk lately lol

LOL that is exactly what I am waiting on. I just bought the Storm1 this month because Bell dropped it's full price from $699.95 to $249.95 and I had thrown my Curve down the stairs one too many times and killed the antenna. I am contract renewal next month but I was hoping to hold out for the new iPhone. When I saw the huge price drop it was perfect - replace my defective phone with the Storm (which I always liked anyway) and not have to renew the contract so I can go iPhone when the time is right.

My fiance and I live on texts. Between the two of us or monthly text count is between 11000 and 14000 a month. Plus it gets me used to typing on touchscreen - since I have the Touch I know the interface like the back of my hand but didn't have the opportunity to type on it a lot.

I get why some people hate the iTunes requirements and I did feel the same way, even using a Creative Zen Vision M mp3 player because of it. When it was buggy as ****, I went with iPod for the first time and I really have to give Apple credit. No one makes an interface like Apple. I went from a Gen 2 Nano to a Gen 3 nano, iPod Touch, Classic and a Gen 3 shuffle. I always carry my Touch and Shuffle with me and have the Classic, Touch and Shuffle in constant rotation. I despise the media player in the Berry with every fibre of my being. Having the iPhone will allow me to streamline what I carry at all times.
    02-15-10 03:19 PM
    What's funny is that he also has BBM - neither of us use it.
    02-15-10 04:17 PM
    I too have tried other devices that I was intrigued by when they hit the scene and of course always end up coming back to the blackberry. i think other phones are nice but for efficient, fast use of getting things done in a timely manner the BB is always it. Android devices are great and maybe the Nexus One will do something different for me or maybe the touchscreen will have me back to a BB. It all depends on personal preference and i have seemed to prefer a qwerty keyboard for ease of use and quick use. I can do multiple things, switch applications and quickly on a BB.
    02-15-10 04:48 PM
    My next phone after my trusty 8330 will probably be a dumb phone, specifically a good used Moto V9M if I can find one or a V3M if not. The V3M is flashed to the moto UI and the V9M would be.

I enjoy email, etc. on the BB but I don't need it.
    02-15-10 05:47 PM
    In summary, you hate RIM for not making their phones into toys?

Threaded SMS? They tried to copy the iPhone and screwed it up.

There is only one thing worse than making phones into toys and that's taking a good communications platform and ruining it by trying to compete with the toy company and after making the attempt, not doing the job as well.
    02-15-10 07:14 PM
    Threaded SMS? They tried to copy the iPhone and screwed it up.

There is only one thing worse than making phones into toys and that's taking a good communications platform and ruining it by trying to compete with the toy company and after making the attempt, not doing the job as well.
    "Tolling at it's Best"
    02-15-10 07:32 PM
    I dont really know what to tell you, but im all berry, i am going to stick with blackberry for now. Until rim either peters out or stops wowing me with the devices. Here i will stay.
    02-15-10 07:50 PM
    I dont really know what to tell you, but im all berry, i am going to stick with blackberry for now. Until rim either peters out or stops wowing me with the devices. Here i will stay.
    To each his own, can't fault someone for what works for them.
    02-15-10 08:03 PM
    I would have said the same thing last year.
    02-15-10 08:36 PM
    As a platform agnostic phone geek who has tried them all, I enjoy these discussions.

Forget iPhone 3G as a voice device. On the *same* network iPhone 3G was terrible while the 9000 and 9700 have been stellar. iPhone sucks as a phone/radio. iPhone has iTunes. Period.

Storm 2 on V has been my favorite BB so far. The wide screen qwerty experience is quite nice, though I still think SurePress is a solution looking for a problem. My favorite BB due to screen size and readability. Good network too.

Just acquired a Motorola Droid and it's a nice piece of hardware with voice quality comparable to my 2 BBs. The Android OS is great. Love the Notifications bar at the top. Plus native clients for Google Voice, Google Talk and YouTube; built in voice navigation with Google maps; gmail and contacts syncing. A slider keyboard is nice when you want to use landscape and not lose screen real estate. Sadly the Droid keyboard is laborious to use due to it's indistinguishable tactile and mushy feel. Best bet with this keyboard is slow and steady. The on screen landscape keyboard is faster by 2x. Superb multi-tasker with lots of of the operating system exposed to make your geeky heart content.

If I gave many here a Droid and a BB, then secretly monitored you while you were waiting on your lunch etc., I would find you reaching for the Droid browser. Need to look up an address on the map? Google maps on Droid is fast and will tell you how to get there or dial the number while the BB will still be saying "requesting" or "Loading images (42 of 53)".

If you said "All I do is voice and email and I make my living with those". Then the single best device on the planet in my books is the 9700. Stellar hardware with a great keyboard and super efficient interface. Stellar voice quality as well. Maybe a netbook/maxi-pad alongside the 9700 is truly the best solution?

Cheers.
    Last edited by JBobH; 02-15-10 at 09:31 PM.
    02-15-10 09:26 PM
    The Dell mini 5 does look sick....but they say a price tag of about $1030.
    You might be right, but I don't see it.

My guess, looking at the hardware, $400-500. They'd have a hard time charging more with the ipad price point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 09:44 PM
    iPhone always manages to acquire the s*** end of the stick no matter the thread lol.

So on to JBOBH's post About the Droid, this is true it is a multitasking beast, and the thing I love about android is it's ability to seamlessly sync with all the google clients. Very nice operating system in terms of multitasking.
    02-15-10 09:45 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD