I want to say that I have a been a long time supporter of everything blackberry and this site. I have also been through verbal wars over what is the best device giving every fact, figure, and notable thing I have known about BlackBerry to fight the good fight. But after 7 long years of being an ? supporter I have come to a cross roads with where to go on from here.

With so many devices hitting the market all with there strong and weak points only one device seem to be slowing in its innovation, the berry. Yes RIM has jumped into the touch market with the Storm and Storm 2, which has giving a whole new prospective to there way of what a touch screen should be and act. But with a browser past its prime, and an OS that has stood its ground but has not shaken one competitor in years, what is new.

After doing a few months of research and thinking about this RIM is what it is because of its saturation of the market globally, it top notch security, easy and friendly customization, push email, BBM, BES (notice I left out BIS), etc. The one thing that I have used in standing behind blackberries is multitasking. But many of the newer devices can do this and give you a better experience when doing it. So where does a long time supporter, and ? advocate go from here. That's is the question. Android, WinMo/Sense, WebOS, not really sure but I can say this blackberry will not be completely out of the question but Apple will be.

So I pose this question to the CB nation, where would you go? Based on the future only. To be honest this is part of research paper that I am writing for a class. So give me all that you can in regards to the question. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 11:06 PM
    I want to say that I have a been a long time supporter of everything blackberry and this site. I have also been through verbal wars over what is the best device giving every fact, figure, and notable thing I have known about BlackBerry to fight the good fight. But after 7 long years of being an ? supporter I have come to a cross roads with where to go on from here.

With so many devices hitting the market all with there strong and weak points only one device seem to be slowing in its innovation, the berry. Yes RIM has jumped into the touch market with the Storm and Storm 2, which has giving a whole new prospective to there way of what a touch screen should be and act. But with a browser past its prime, and an OS that has stood its ground but has not shaken one competitor in years, what is new.

After doing a few months of research and thinking about this RIM is what it is because of its saturation of the market globally, it top notch security, easy and friendly customization, push email, BBM, BES (notice I left out BIS), etc. The one thing that I have used in standing behind blackberries is multitasking. But many of the newer devices can do this and give you a better experience when doing it. So where does a long time supporter, and ? advocate go from here. That's is the question. Android, WinMo/Sense, WebOS, not really sure but I can say this blackberry will not be completely out of the question but Apple will be.

So I pose this question to the CB nation, where would you go? Based on the future only. To be honest this is part of research paper that I am writing for a class. So give me all that you can in regards to the question. Thanks in advance.

I am asking myself the same question. I haven't been on CB for a while - as I seem to have pretty much mastered my 8330. It's a great, solid phone. I am due for an upgrade soon and I don't know what I will get. I would like another BB, but I am also questioning the innovation. Is there anything that do substantially more than the 8330. There may be, I don't know. I haven't been up on the lastest devices from BB and the others, but I hearing great things from people regarding the droid. I wish BB would come out with something truly exciting. If RIM does, I will get another BB.
    02-14-10 11:21 PM
    I'm more than happy with my current BB device and what RIM offers as the required Service (BIS). But if you want to know the future path IMO Open Source is it. Be it Android or maybe Maemo or even BADA(from Samsung) .But given the omnipresence of Google in the internet domain and the sheer quality and quantity of services offered by this behemoth Android is the OS i would bet on.
    02-14-10 11:26 PM
    Well seeing as you won't be getting the iPhone which I already knew lol (it's me by the way sirhill ya boy audiogates). You should know my answer Android all the way. I still don't want to put my money into Android personally until they police up that wild west of a marketplace, but once they do that I'll surely take on a nexus style or supersonic style android device as a back-up
    02-14-10 11:42 PM
    android is the logical choice since we have already seen many bb users on here abandon their berries for a nexus one. the only way rim gets back in the game, is by shaking up its OS.
    02-15-10 12:01 AM
    I am notiving RIM get left behind in a lot a areas. We have many features that are practical and efficient on the BB...but also a lot of features that are "coming soon". That soon is not soon enough for me. I would go Android if I ever decided to get another device.

02-15-10 12:07 AM
    I've been looking to switch to android as well and will miss a lot of the BB features. The whole android platform is just better for my needs and once the nexus one hits verizon I'm getting one. The browser will be nice as well as its customization possibilities.
    02-15-10 12:16 AM
    In summary, you hate RIM for not making their phones into toys?
    02-15-10 12:16 AM
    I have asked myself these questions several times. Instead of just talking about it, I have gone out and tried all of RIM's competitors top phones and OS's. I always come back to BlackBerry.

When it comes down to it, I want a smart phone that excels in communications, tether to my laptop and netbook, and browse the web when I need it to. I used an iPhone for about a year and the variety of applications was great, but the communications aspect of it has a lot of room for improvement. Communications is more important than 3rd party apps for me.

BlackBerry does everything I need it to better than the competition, believe it or not. It all depends on what you want from your phone.

Nothing comes close to BlackBerry when it comes to communications. Outside of communications, I would probably side with the iPhone. WebOS has potential to me as well and I enjoyed the Pre when I owned one, minus the keyboard and loose slider. Android doesn't appeal to me as much.

BlackBerry does what I need it to better than the competition.
    02-15-10 12:18 AM
    As of now I'm sticking with my S1 and waiting out to see what the S3 has to offer. Ever since the android dropped I've been thinking giving it a try. I love my storm and it looks like all the new software that's going to hit with tthe storm3 in gping to stick with RIM. If the software doesn't drop as expected with RIM I would love to give another touchscreen a shot. This all depends coming at the end of the year.

02-15-10 12:25 AM
    I really think blackberry users would like webOS a lot. I don't think it gets enough credit. Its definitely going to be the next device I try out once it comes to ATT.

02-15-10 12:42 AM
    I am in the same position as you and if RIM doesn't release or at least announce something nice by summer I'm moving on as well.

Right now if I was to choose any mobile phone out there without thinking about network it would be the Nokia N900. It is an amazing phone but to answer your question of what phone seems to be going in the right direction Nokia realized that Symbian is getting old and they came out with their Maemo OS. An open and pretty new OS. This is what BlackBerry should have done but didn't. The phone can be customized like crazy, has a great community (maemo.org - maemo.org: Home of the Maemo community), runs linux, and the phone seems a lot like a computer.

Nokia really worked on innovation. With the Nokia N900 you can hook it up directly to a TV or Projector unlike the BlackBerry where you have to buy and extra device. Nokia N900 is also the first phone to run Mozilla (same browsing experience as a computer). Does are just of the small great things about the phone I really recommend reading about the Nokia N900. It shows where Nokia is going with smart phones and shows us how unlucky we are to use BlackBerrys.

The second phone/os to be going in the right direction is the Android phones. The phones open for the user to customize and do as they wish with them. They also don't seem as boring as the BlackBerry. I like to think that Google looked at what's good about the Iphone (browser, gestures, look, easy to use) and looked at what's really bad (no multitasking, flash, open customization, putting whatever you want on it, no Apple BS) and they enhanced what was good and made what was bad good. Hope that made sense. What I am trying to say is Google seems to know what they are doing with Android and seemed to listed and deliver to what people want.

What Nokia and Google are doing is bring what we love about computers to the mobile smart phone. Apple on the other hand are going in the wrong direction. They are making phones specifically to do less then a computer (no multitasking, flash, etc) and they aren't even letting people do anything to the OS or even customize anything on the OS. The only thing I can say Apple contributed in Smart Phones is introducing the App Store. That was a great idea and it really showed that 3rd party apps are great and useful.

RIM right now is also going in the wrong direction as they aren't doing anything. Upgrades to BIS and the Browser are just to stop people from leaving. Those two things are not enough if thats all they have planned for this year. The BlackBerry 9700 was the Biggest disappointment for me by RIM so far. A year after the BlackBerry 9000 Bold was released and all they could do for the 9700 is add a touchpad?! RIM has already lost 2% market share in the last quarter alone and they will continue to loose more unless some drastic changes happen soon.
    02-15-10 12:53 AM
    BTW I think many people will say Android as I am not sure many have heard about Nokia's Maemo Device (the N900)
    02-15-10 12:55 AM
    RIM is making their phones into a toy. You know the ones that don't do much :P
    Last edited by rainor94; 02-15-10 at 01:01 AM.
    02-15-10 12:57 AM
    I have tried the other devices and I like them but I prefer my 9700. I think the emotion involved for so many on these forums whether they are defending blackberry or coming form another platform to attack blackberry is fascinating. If I were writing a paper I might take that slant. I know that I have never gone to an android, iphone, webos or windows mobile forum to assail their products. I don't really care. Anyway it seems there is a strange emotional aspect to the blackberry experience. Regardless, like I said, I feel it is the best phone for me.
    02-15-10 01:07 AM
    In response to the toy statement, NO. You read my entire post and that all you got from it.

My only issue is not with RIM but with innovation. Time waits for on one company and RIM can not continue to sit in the back of the room and put out ok devices, weak apps, and hope to get it right. I am looking at this from the pov of a person who has never owned a smart phone and is looking to get one. Where do you go? I bet if you looked at it from this stand point, blackberry would not be a top five choice and that's where the problem lies.

02-15-10 01:19 AM
    Rainor94 I have read about Nokia's new OS and I love it for the reason that most people will over look it, LInux. As a programmer who uses Linux on a daily bases I think that it will for ever change the smarphone. Being able to root your device and customize it the way you see fit is better than applying a theme that really only changes the look. If RIM went to a linux based OS and sent updates directly to the user with having a third party (carriers) pick and choose when to give it to the public they would stand a better chance. I bet the creature of Linux never thought that it would go from a pc, to servers, to smartphones. Linux is the way to go hands down.

02-15-10 01:40 AM
    ahh the dreaded use of "toy" Is it a toy because the platform is afforded more oppurtunites to have entertainment/gaming apps. when the BB OS is generally geared to more productive apps due to its lack of ability to render any game type application that could be visually appealing.

Look the Blackberry OS is a solid one, but you cant defend its aging operating system and dull User Interface by calling Androids a TOY. Sometimes you have to think people buy these devices because developers can do things with them to improve their lives in the workplace and not in the mobile gaming arena.
    02-15-10 01:43 AM
    ahh the dreaded use of "toy" Is it a toy because the platform is afforded more oppurtunites to have entertainment/gaming apps. when the BB OS is generally geared to more productive apps due to its lack of ability to render any game type application that could be visually appealing.

Look the Blackberry OS is a solid one, but you cant defend its aging operating system and dull User Interface by calling Androids a TOY. Sometimes you have to think people buy these devices because developers can do things with them to improve their lives in the workplace and not in the mobile gaming arena.
    Can i just say before you get any stick from other people, this post is very well written. And thankyou for keeping it legit, not causing any crap. I can see this thread going off on one again. You know the same old BB vs Apple lol.

Keeping on topic, before i had my storm and bold, i changed from the iphone to the first G1. I dont know why maybe it was the phone itself but i hated, hated Android. So i dont think id ever touch android again. My contract runs out in May with my BB Bold. I wont lie, going back to the iphone is my first choice. Im no fanboy or anything, as i gave my GF the Iphone when i got my bold because i got bored of everyone having the same phone.

But when push comes to shove, apple have got the market by the nuts, and to me its simply the best phone out there. For g0dsake i have to return my Bold to Voda because it bricks when i try to add v5.0 lol.

I love my bold dont get me wrong. But thats because of the physical keyboard and BBM. By may 4th gen will be out for the apple, i know theres alot of people on CB that are so so loyal. But come on. You got that much faith in the OS. How long you guys been waiting for updates. A Year and still they have flaws.

No Hating on BB as i really do like them. Just my honest opinion i think some people are scared of saying.
    02-15-10 03:16 AM
    Google devices are logical choices for blackberry users who want a different experience. I have recently switchedbecause my new 9700 started giving me problems and I got frustrated with it. I went to Android and so far it isn't bad. It is hard to get used to a different device,but I am liking my Hero.

02-15-10 05:08 AM
    I know the true smartphone junkie is always looking for the new device on the cutting edge. Its true that BlackBerry has its flaws, and its true that the OS is kind of stale. That being said, until someone makes a device that is as stable, easy to use and dependable as the Blackberry, Im sticking with my 9700. Just my .02.
    02-15-10 06:23 AM
    I will continue to do what I have always done when coming close to upgrade time: I will look at the carriers and devices available to me. I will research the devices that appear to suit my needs, and narrow down my choices from there

Keep in mind that some of us don't even have access to Droid phones. I know that in Manitoba we are pretty limited in our choices. One carrier only carries a few models of BB: Pearl, Pearl Flip, Curve (83xx), and tour. nothing else.

Although some of us would like to have the choices available to you, some of us have to just wait longer... and by then I'm sure that things will have settled down for RIM - for better or for worse
    02-15-10 07:27 AM
    Watching the Windows Phone 7 Series announcement this morning, I'd say a very strong option is coming. However, I just got my BB last week, so it will be a long while for me before switching.
    02-15-10 09:27 AM
    Watching the Windows Phone 7 Series announcement this morning, I'd say a very strong option is coming. However, I just got my BB last week, so it will be a long while for me before switching.
    You still got a week contract cooling period haha Lala.

Jus playing BB ftw
    02-15-10 09:37 AM
    I will continue to do what I have always done when coming close to upgrade time: I will look at the carriers and devices available to me. I will research the devices that appear to suit my needs, and narrow down my choices from there

Keep in mind that some of us don't even have access to Droid phones. I know that in Manitoba we are pretty limited in our choices. One carrier only carries a few models of BB: Pearl, Pearl Flip, Curve (83xx), and tour. nothing else.

Although some of us would like to have the choices available to you, some of us have to just wait longer... and by then I'm sure that things will have settled down for RIM - for better or for worse
    Don't worry soon Manitoba will have HSPA from both MTS and Rogers. The thing is unless you are on CDMA there is no reason of buying a phone from your service provider. There are other ways of getting phones. WIND Mobile had launched in Toronto and Calgary and they are showing people it's better to buy your phone full out and then get your plan. I think in the future more people will start buying phones from independent providers or full out.

02-15-10 09:56 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD