With all the recent buzz about the stolen proto iphone it got me thinking, as bleeding edge berry users we, I think are unique really anywhere in technology as being the only community that has often been able to get our hands on the next unofficial os for our devices, even if the only real change seems to be a slightly higher decimal point in the filename. I've often conjectured that these were approved "leaks" by RIM, a let me run this by you thing that RIM approves of. I know they don't have the same environment that Apple does, but a leak of IP, is there no head rolling, no desperate searches for the culprits that would dare to not just once but weekly if not daily provide the www with unofficial apps and OS?

I believe with an announcement of a release of OS 6 in the next quarter that RIM has a fairly polished product already completed, and yet nothing has been delivered prematurely to the community, how can that be? Can our insider(s) be locked out? Or is it more likely that there has never been a leaked os? But in fact a strategic operation that uses us, as a testing ground to see what works and doesn't, saving the company millions on QA costs! What say you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 11:29 AM
    I'm sure that fairly shortly after the release of the Bold 9650 that we'll start to see some leaks come out for BlackBerry 6. ****, it's even possible that something might show up earlier than that, who knows? I'm sure its only a matter of time.
    05-04-10 11:33 AM
    I'm sure that fairly shortly after the release of the Bold 9650 that we'll start to see some leaks come out for BlackBerry 6. ****, it's even possible that something might show up earlier than that, who knows? I'm sure its only a matter of time.
    I was actually surprised/disappointed that something didn't leak out of WES, guess wishful thinking,

05-04-10 11:35 AM
    I think you are reading a little too much into it. Its fairly simple, when OSs get passed on to "partners" is when we see them leak since many people have their hands on it at that point. We dont see leaks directly from people inside at RIM.

As for the theory about intentional leaks for QA, theres no way for many reasons. First it can cause support issues for both RIM and the carrier, people who dont know what they are doing bricking their phones or certain functions not working properly and then calling their carrier for help or doing a warranty exchange. And really I would think the feedback RIM would get from most people would be quite lacking in usefulness to RIM. If you look at the beta threads youll see people posting issues/feedback, but no detail or technical understanding as to why it's doing it. Youll also notice 99% of the leaks dont have a change log, if it was an intentional leak wouldnt it be beneficial to let me people know what had changed so they could test? And on top of that again by the time we see leaks, the builds are way ahead of what we have.

Not to mention incase you havent noticed RIM is very active it getting links to leaked OSs removed.
    05-04-10 11:40 AM
    But in fact a strategic operation that uses us, as a testing ground to see what works and doesn't, saving the company millions on QA costs! ...
    IMHO, No way.

When the software is in development, only the input from experienced engineers, committed to the success of the program and bound by NDA's are considered.

Loosing control of the process at that stage would be a disaster. Nobody would know what specifics were being tested and the odds of an unfavorable, fault finding review approach certainty.

The carriers, might consider a leak as extended beta testing, but not Research in Motion.
    05-04-10 01:52 PM
    IMHO, No way.

When the software is in development, only the input from experienced engineers, committed to the success of the program and bound by NDA's are considered.

Loosing control of the process at that stage would be a disaster. Nobody would know what specifics were being tested and the odds of an unfavorable, fault finding review approach certainty.

The carriers, might consider a leak as extended beta testing, but not Research in Motion.
    Exactly right. There is nothing more useless than releasing pre-alpha software to the public and listening to them gripe about it. That is one of the most unproductive ways to test new stuff.

Take this forum for example, 99% of all people here could not give one bit of useful information if they found a problem as they don't have the first clue how to even present the information.

At my job some of our software actually did get accidentally leaked to our customers once and it was pre-alpha phase software. Calls started coming in and at the end of the day we didn't listen to a single complaint as they were not at all helpful.
    05-04-10 02:25 PM
    Great points folks, I posted bored on train and was attempting to be mildly humorous but have actually learned something, thanks!

05-04-10 02:29 PM
    You asked "Is there a blackberry os leak conspriacy?" but it wouldn't be much of a conspiracy if we were to admit that publicly on the internet
    05-04-10 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD