I like to keep my GPS off unless I am using it to save battery life. I understand that I can go into options->advanced->GPS and change GPS Services to "E911 Only" and Location Aiding to "Disabled" but it would be nice if there was a simple Application that would toggle that for me. It really should be part of connections manager (I keep that assigned to a side button to turn my Bluetooth on and off) . Is there a connections manager like application that allows toggling of GPS, Bluetooth, and Phone (for being on an air plane)? If not, I wonder how hard it would be to write one. Anyone else think this would be useful?
    02-19-09 08:58 AM
    +1
    I think an app like this would be very useful! Maybe someone here could code something for us crackheads?
    02-19-09 09:35 AM
    Greg... I could be very wrong (if Civic sees this she could probably give more insight) but I'm almost positive that if you're NOT running a program that pings the GPS it's not actively tracking. I have always had my "Location On" set and I never have a battery problem. However, if I keep like, BB Maps loaded it will really start to suck the battery down.
    02-19-09 09:36 AM
    Update:

Hey I just checked with JRSCCivic98 and she confirmed that. If you do not have a program running that is actively polling the GPS, it is not consuming your battery.

As long as you always remember to Menu>Close/Exit whatever GPS active program you're using, you should be ok.
    02-19-09 10:01 AM
    Update:

Hey I just checked with JRSCCivic98 and she confirmed that. If you do not have a program running that is actively polling the GPS, it is not consuming your battery.

As long as you always remember to Menu>Close/Exit whatever GPS active program you're using, you should be ok.
    Interesting. I read all those threads that talked about GPS eating the battery so I've been trying to be good. They seemed to indicate that if the icon was showing the wavy lines then it was polling the satellite and caching the data.

-Greg
    02-19-09 10:18 AM
    Interesting. I read all those threads that talked about GPS eating the battery so I've been trying to be good. They seemed to indicate that if the icon was showing the wavy lines then it was polling the satellite and caching the data.
    I'd take what Civ says to the bank
    02-19-09 10:32 AM
    I thought the location thing was a product of triangulation by cell towers, not GPS. Is that right?
    02-19-09 10:35 AM
    I thought the location thing was a product of triangulation by cell towers, not GPS. Is that right?
    In GMM when you first load it, it will show you the location to the nearest cell tower and a circle where you might be located based upon your signal strength to that tower.

Then, (if you have a view of the sky) after a few moments it will get a GPS lock and show that it has you to within 5 meters or so. Then it is an actual GPS, not triangulation.
    02-19-09 10:39 AM
    I'd take what Civ says to the bank

Ok, then nevermind
    02-19-09 11:04 AM

-Greg
    Lot of people talking out of the wrong orifice...
    02-19-09 11:08 AM
    I haven't noticed any difference in battery with GPS on/off. I use Latitude all the time so my friends can stalk me. My battery level has been the same about 25% at night after using slacker/email and phone during the day.
    02-19-09 11:23 AM
    Is there any reason to turn of my bluetooth connection if I'm not connected to the actual bluetooth??? Does it drain the battery if my bluetooth isn't on?? Just curious....I always have the icon on my screen hence always on. Hope that makes sense.
    02-19-09 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD