I want to get the Blackberry Curve, but I don't want to include the BB plan and I have SERO, which has a unlimited generic data plan.

I am curious how many people here are using a BB without the BB plan and whether I am going to lose most of the fun of using BB.

Is it worth to getting a BB w/o a BB plan? I am thinking about the Centro by Palm.

Thx.
    Last edited by nightdreamor; 10-26-08 at 08:53 AM.
    10-26-08 08:47 AM
    You are going to lose BB messenger and push email without a BB specific data plan. I highly recommend you get the BB data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 08:51 AM
    You are going to lose BB messenger and push email without a BB specific data plan. I highly recommend you get the BB data plan.

It seems that I cannot keep the generic data plan and BB plan simultaneously....

I think I need the generic data plan. Or maybe I could ask what the difference b/w the two plans.
    10-26-08 09:08 AM
    I was going to go without a data plan when I first got my 8703e. But then I realized a BB without data is kinda pointless because you don't get to use a lot of the BB-specific add-ons. The data plans for BB's are expensive on some carriers but they are worth it IMO

10-26-08 09:11 AM
    It seems that I cannot keep the generic data plan and BB plan simultaneously....

I think I need the generic data plan. Or maybe I could ask what the difference b/w the two plans.
    You do not need the generic Data plan. The Blackberry data plan will cover the internet, bb messenger, IMs, and push email. It is a BB specific "generic" data plan, so to speak.
    10-26-08 09:13 AM
    I was going to go without a data plan when I first got my 8703e. But then I realized a BB without data is kinda pointless because you don't get to use a lot of the BB-specific add-ons. The data plans for BB's are expensive on some carriers but they are worth it IMO

That's exactly what I am thinking.
    10-26-08 09:21 AM
    I used my new 8310 for six days w/o a BB plan.
    It worked like my old BlackJack smart-phone.

Checking email required a browser login (no Push).
    No BB messenger.
    SMS / MMS was the same.

Friday, I spent the additional $$. The browser seems faster with the BB plan, although it may be my imagination.
    10-26-08 09:22 AM
    You do not need the generic Data plan. The Blackberry data plan will cover the internet, bb messenger, IMs, and push email. It is a BB specific "generic" data plan, so to speak.
    So you mean basically what i could do with the generic data plan, I could have it done by the BB plan, right?

I am going to use a IM which is not used by Americans. I am not sure whether I need some specific add-on for the BB plan.
    10-26-08 09:26 AM
    I used my new 8310 for six days w/o a BB plan.
    It worked like my old BlackJack smart-phone.

Checking email required a browser login (no Push).
    No BB messenger.
    SMS / MMS was the same.

Friday, I spent the additional $$. The browser seems faster with the BB plan, although it may be my imagination.
    I've done some research and found most people finally spend the money on the BB plan....
    10-26-08 09:28 AM
    The SPRINT sero plan is very easy to switch over, I did it recently when I swapped from my palm centro (smartphone with training wheels) to the 8830 world phone. Push email maybe the best thing ever invented.
    10-26-08 09:29 AM
    If you're getting a Centro, is that with or without data as well?

Personally, having a BB without data isn't all that bad, despite what some have posted above. As a general device that allows you to keep organized (sync to Outlook, address books, calendars), and a great keyboard to text people, it's great. This was my setup with a 7290. I had a similar setup as Eight_bit.

Now, just make sure your carrier doesn't charge for pay-per-use data if they detect you're using a BB for web surfing and don't have a specific data plan. In your case, having a "BB data plan" covers you for all generic data and services from BlackBerry.
    10-26-08 09:32 AM
    If you're getting a Centro, is that with or without data as well?

Personally, having a BB without data isn't all that bad, despite what some have posted above. As a general device that allows you to keep organized (sync to Outlook, address books, calendars), and a great keyboard to text people, it's great. This was my setup with a 7290. I had a similar setup as Eight_bit.

Now, just make sure your carrier doesn't charge for pay-per-use data if they detect you're using a BB for web surfing and don't have a specific data plan. In your case, having a "BB data plan" covers you for all generic data and services from BlackBerry.

The sero plan provide unlimited data service and only cost me $30. I want to save money but I do like the design of BB curve.
    10-26-08 09:41 AM
    The SPRINT sero plan is very easy to switch over, I did it recently when I swapped from my palm centro (smartphone with training wheels) to the 8830 world phone. Push email maybe the best thing ever invented.
    Why gave up centro? Anything wrong with it? Centro is my second choice actually.
    10-26-08 09:43 AM
    When I first started looking into getting a blackberry I didn't think I would need a data plan because I didn't plan on browsing the web on my phone. However I got it and use it so much more then I thougt I would. Its so convient to have. If you don't have a data plan could you use pop for emails?

10-26-08 01:50 PM
    3 of my students the ones wit bb have no data plan, they are on the texting plan. My friend is the same thing, though he just canceled his recently.
    I'm on data, need to check my financial news
    10-26-08 01:55 PM
    When I first started looking into getting a blackberry I didn't think I would need a data plan because I didn't plan on browsing the web on my phone. However I got it and use it so much more then I thougt I would. Its so convient to have. If you don't have a data plan could you use pop for emails?

Sero includes a unlimited generic data plan, I could check emails using pop.
    10-27-08 03:56 AM
    I just have a basic 700 minutes, unlimited texts plan at the moment but am waiting for my data plan to be activated. I have used my Curve with no data plan for about 3 months and only recently decided to upgrade to get the data plan
    10-27-08 05:33 AM
    i dont have the data plan... the good thing abt sticking with tmobile and blackberry would be...

use the phone, and the great organizer/calender, alarm, qwerty keypad for texting etc... when I have access to a pc everyday. I'm not a fan of surfing the web on a small screen.

But if I travel or something... or will not have access to email etc for long periods of time, then i will just call tmobile and tell them to activate the $20 data plan, and then cancel when i dont need it anymore...
    10-27-08 05:40 AM
    My tmobile 8100 originally had no data plan, but I couldn't take the full advantage of the phone. I know there are some BB users that have kids with BB's w/o data plans. But no data plan= almost useless device.

You could always go down to the 50meg plan vs the unlimited. May save a buck or 2 there.

VZW Ulimited (5GB ) - $29.98, 50meg - $19.99. I havr the unlimited just cause its just worth it for me.

10-27-08 06:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD