ROFL!!! Good one Wulf.
    06-29-10 09:43 PM
    Oh, I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this feature and I can't be bothered to check but another very important feature on blackberry is UMA calling. for some people this is an essential feature. It is available on other platforms but not Android or Iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 02:03 AM
    I've done a little research, and accessing a network shouldn't be too difficult.

Access to documents on a network from BlackBerry devices

BlackBerry MDS Runtime Applications

BlackBerry MDS Connection Service

Now I could be wrong, I'm no networking expert, but it seems to me if you had the IP for the server you want onto, you could enter that in your URL and gain access that way.
    06-30-10 04:53 AM
    The real question is:

Are there any unique features the iphone or android bring to the market in 2010?
    06-30-10 08:15 AM
    The real question is:

Are there any unique features the iphone or android bring to the market in 2010?
    Are you actually being serious? If so, have you ever used either phone? The answers to this question would be pretty evident after only a short period of time. If you haven't used either one, stop into stores for a demo and see for yourself. I really hope you're not being serious, though. Your question genuinely makes no sense. It's like someone on dialup via AOL, cross-armed and stubborn, steadfastly insisting that cable/DSL/fiber would be no better because you wouldn't have access to the Webmail you've grown to love. Again, loving your BlackBerry is great, but asking a question like "What unique features do the Android and iPhone brands bring to the cellular market in 2010?" speaks of just flat-out, intentional ignorance, and it's mostly embarrassing for me to read.
    06-30-10 08:43 AM
    Are you actually being serious? If so, have you ever used either phone? The answers to this question would be pretty evident after only a short period of time. If you haven't used either one, stop into stores for a demo and see for yourself. I really hope you're not being serious, though. Your question genuinely makes no sense. It's like someone on dialup via AOL, cross-armed and stubborn, steadfastly insisting that cable/DSL/fiber would be no better because you wouldn't have access to the Webmail you've grown to love. Again, loving your BlackBerry is great, but asking a question like "What unique features do the Android and iPhone brands bring to the cellular market in 2010?" speaks of just flat-out, intentional ignorance, and it's mostly embarrassing for me to read.
    This is a wonderful example of why I perceive you as I do. Completely ignorant having used a BlackBerry to autotext, yet belligerent when someone asks for examples, of what the devices you seem to prefer offer BlackBerry doesn't.
    06-30-10 08:55 AM
    I also noticed Matt didn't answer the question. Perhaps thinking he might be torn down a bit? We all know the Android has a wonderful browser, what else is new?
    Last edited by exelant; 06-30-10 at 09:09 AM.
    06-30-10 09:07 AM
    I also noticed Matt didn't answer the question. Perhaps thinking he might be torn down a bit? We all know the Android has a wonderful browser, what else is new?
    Really what needs to be said is what can Android do that NEITHER the iphone, nor blackberry can do, and what can the iPhone do that NEITHER the Andriod nor blackberry can do?

because when I look at the iPhone and Android, I do know I would pick Android, but I can't see or haven't seen as of yet, what the Android brings to the table that can't be had on either device. and thankfully Android does the same against apple, Blackberry currently has a few, features software wise that can't be had on either platform, those are getting less and less as time goes on, but in all honesty I don't see what really sets Android appart from apple except for it not needing ipoo ns
    06-30-10 09:33 AM
    I'm still new to BB but are RIM the only company that provides cell phones with both GSM/CDMA mode? I've never seen anyone mention of an android phone having one. I think this a huge deal for anyone that commute abroad a lot.

06-30-10 09:34 AM
    Can we please have a list of all this new wonderful features the android and iphone have for 2010?

06-30-10 09:35 AM
    Can we please have a list of all this new wonderful features the android and iphone have for 2010?

just be sure to seperate them from eachother, and don't do any duplications.

thanks
    06-30-10 09:37 AM
    ... Your initial post is so biased, even you had to throw a "disclaimer" in the post claiming you're not a troll.

If you're too slow to understand (see I can be insulting as well), I'll spell it out for you. You talked about throwing an iphone and android on the counter and asking what a BB has that they don't have. Try putting a BB on the counter and asking what an iphone or android phone has that a BB doesn't. And remember, you want "unique" features, not "improved" features.

The fact of the matter is, you didn't answer my question.

Having a "faster" or "better" browser is in NO way a "unique" feature.
    Last edited by Harry_Yambag; 06-30-10 at 10:07 AM.
    06-30-10 09:59 AM
    I got to thinking about this commercial all of a sudden!

Stupid YouTube doesn't have the BEST line, when he is Standing beside the lawn mower on TV he says " Hey it self propels"
    06-30-10 10:07 AM
    I'm giving up. Not because I can't step to the challenge, but because this question is being asked with any seriousness at all means that I'm in the wrong forum. It's out of exasperation rather than defeat. Instead of relying on me to tell you what features the iPhone and Android bring to the cellular market, how about reading technical articles and blogs on places like Engadget, Wired, etc., and then take a look at the cellular market share, and then actually use one. I've already done my part; I've thoroughly used BlackBerrys, iPhones, and Android phones, and I've obviously made my own decision based on user experience and, most importantly of all, facts.

In hindsight, I don't think I should've posed this on CrackBerry as there's just way too much bias, along with a minor but unhealthy dose of chugging the BlackBerry Kool-Aid while simultaneously being ignorant of other devices, how they operate, and what they offer the end-user. It's like a person who vehemently stands by the fact that Burger King is the absolute best fast-food chain restaurant there is, listing unique foods they offer like "hamburgers" and "french fries," while never having stepped foot inside of a McDonald's or a Wendy's, let alone tried their food.

To those who answered and offered insight, I appreciate it! Thank you very much. I learned some things that I did not know prior to posting, which is a common experience for me on CrackBerry, and why I keep coming back. And to those who've chosen a BlackBerry over other options out there based on familiarity, the keyboard, BES integration, BBM, etc., that's awesome. I'm glad you enjoy your phone. To those who equate iPhones and Androids as fragile toys that amount to nothing more than a fad, you're very seriously out of your mind.
    06-30-10 10:13 AM
    I'm giving up. Not because I can't step to the challenge, but because this question is being asked with any seriousness at all means that I'm in the wrong forum. It's out of exasperation rather than defeat. Instead of relying on me to tell you what features the iPhone and Android bring to the cellular market, how about reading technical articles and blogs on places like Engadget, Wired, etc., and then take a look at the cellular market share, and then actually use one. I've already done my part; I've thoroughly used BlackBerrys, iPhones, and Android phones, and I've obviously made my own decision based on user experience and, most importantly of all, facts.

In hindsight, I don't think I should've posed this on CrackBerry as there's just way too much bias, along with a minor but unhealthy dose of chugging the BlackBerry Kool-Aid while simultaneously being ignorant of other devices, how they operate, and what they offer the end-user. It's like a person who vehemently stands by the fact that Burger King is the absolute best fast-food chain restaurant there is, listing unique foods they offer like "hamburgers" and "french fries," while never having stepped foot inside of a McDonald's or a Wendy's, let alone tried their food.

To those who answered and offered insight, I appreciate it! Thank you very much. I learned some things that I did not know prior to posting, which is a common experience for me on CrackBerry, and why I keep coming back. And to those who've chosen a BlackBerry over other options out there based on familiarity, the keyboard, BES integration, BBM, etc., that's awesome. I'm glad you enjoy your phone. To those who equate iPhones and Androids as fragile toys that amount to nothing more than a fad, you're very seriously out of your mind.
    Will be good to see this Thread Die

BUT you came here asking for exactly what you are now telling us to go do on our own.

I'll admit I have not used Andriod 2.2, and probably wont until the Cisco tablet comes about, mainly because I can't for the life of me find what Android does better than iPhone, AND RIM. Great OS, it has but special it no longer is.
    You being someone who has used all 3, should be able to give what is unique about Android, I read Blogs, and sites, MOST of them have become iPhone fanboy sites, so much so that I recently saw a smartphone comparison chart, and they actually listed the PSP in the chart with Android and iPhones, but never touched a Palm or Blackberry, that is just to show were many of these bloggers mind set is.
    06-30-10 10:20 AM
    Spare us Matt. Many of us have spent some time with both android and iphones. We know the differences, and we also know that many of the features you're talking about have been offered by BlackBerry for some time. It is what we tried to tell you, it's personal preference. But you came in with a chip on your shoulder convinced of your device's superiority. How would anyone respond?
    Last edited by exelant; 06-30-10 at 09:40 PM.
    06-30-10 10:25 AM
    I'm giving up. bla bla bla etc etc......
    What "new" and "unique" features do they bring to the table in 2010?

Its that simple.

I dont think the iphone or androids are fragile or toys etc. I'm pointing out that your arguement is flawed and intentionally misleading. You can not take the "new kids on the block" and use them as the "standard" of smart phones, than ask what a BB has that they don't have. You have to ask what the new guys offer that the "standard" doesn't have.
    06-30-10 10:27 AM
    I've been playing with friends' iPhone 3G and Motorola Cliq for a few months and besides Youtube, games and browsers (I even pointed Skyfire to my friend with the Android and he's in heaven lol), there is nothing they can do that I can't. And I have what people like to call a "cheap, low quality, entry-level" Curve 8520 (to which I must point: It works and performs great. Nothing low quality about it).

The difference comes to apps thou. Some apps don't work/exist for BlackBerry. The funny thing is for the greater part, they rely on apps for services/features we had for ages.

BUT you came here asking for exactly what you are now telling us to go do on our own.
    Gotta agree with this one Matt and you know I am one of the guys not calling you a troll.

The question stands. What is Android/iPhone (front face camera and browsers apart) offers?
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-30-10 at 10:39 AM.
    06-30-10 10:33 AM
    The question stands. What is Android/iPhone (front face camera and browsers apart) offers?
    The front facing camera is NOT unique by any means.
    06-30-10 10:49 AM
    It is what we tried to tell you, it's personal preference.
    Way I see it, all platforms are capable of providing everything I'm listing here (rather it's much more about the profile of the owners) but I come to think of them this way:

BlackBerry - Productivity oriented people. Fast performance, long battery live (provided you know what you're doing), and physical keyboard. Adding th BIS/BES platform, the apps available and the fact most users at th moment are corporate, this stands as the device to get things done.

What do I ususally see: People making phone calls, sending email/sms.

iPhone - Entertainment oriented people. Great screen and UI. Perfect for interation and video. Lack of physical keyboard makes some editing of texts and shortcuts a minor problem. High processor speeds and large internal storage allow for larger/richer applications. And it's flashy.

What do I usually see: people playing games, watching videos and excited about apps.

Android - Media oriented people. Great for browsing, movies and images. Since most devices have physical keyboards, they are better suited for a mid-ground device.

What do I usually see: People browsing th web, watching videos, sending emails.

From what I know of the devices, what I see, and what I actually understood from trying them (agreed, the ones I managed to play with are not the latest) that's how I come to understand the phones. And their owners.
    06-30-10 10:50 AM
    The front facing camera is NOT unique by any means.
    And that's why they are to be set apart.
    06-30-10 10:51 AM
    huh...matt ended up being an articulate alby...whodu thunk it...
    06-30-10 10:56 AM
    So bottom line is blackberry has many unique features compared with android and iphone and it's not the case vice versa. Android and iphone can do some things better then Blackberry but they don't bring anything new to the table. They both have perfected some things but they haven't brought anything new.

And yes they are both fragile as they have glass screens, and they are heavy. I'm gonna include the Storm 2 in this one.

06-30-10 11:10 AM
    Lol, here's another advantage to blackberry. My wife just drove for 5 miles with her pearl on top of the car. Why it didn't fall off? Luck? No. It's because the magnet in the leather pouch stuck it to the roof of the car. Beat that lol

06-30-10 12:42 PM
    Lol, here's another advantage to blackberry. My wife just drove for 5 miles with her pearl on top of the car. Why it didn't fall off? Luck? No. It's because the magnet in the leather pouch stuck it to the roof of the car. Beat that lol
    Hahahaha!!! Now that is good!
    06-30-10 12:52 PM
190 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD