.... I've been saying that because I paid a premium for a smartphone, I get to bash the stupidity of the makers all I want. Unlike many blind BB loyalists, I'm well-versed on both sides of the BB vs Android argument - because I've used both. Considering that there's virtually no difference between the Bold 9000 and the most current BB's (which speaks to the pathetic nature of RIM's lack of foresight), it's very easy to judge BB vs Android today.

Keep reaching buddy.
    I'm versed in the fact that the software for the Android platform currently has a 20% rate of giving away your personal info on a whim without warning. So far there are almost no BB apps that do this. But I'm not bashing the phone or the platform, I'm bashing the fact it's attracted developers who love the ease with which they can make malicious apps.

BB's API's might be a little clunky and harder to use, but in a way it's a saving grace that keeps us and anyone in our contact list safe.
    06-28-10 06:40 PM
    So true Wulf! Some of my best friends have iphones, . I have a touch and soon a Droid for work. My wife also uses a Nokia N-96, and had a N-95. I could care less what anyone uses and I like to mess around with them all. What I don't like are people who call others names for disagreeing with them, and trolls who like to stir up trouble.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 06:45 PM
    Yes that's what I was talking about in my previous post.. I didn't see it on the Iphone.... Maybe it was there but never found it?? But I got so use to it now that it's a part of my typing.

You're talking about Predictive Text. BlackBerry has this as well. I was able to enable it on my new Bold by going to Options > Language and Text input > Input Language > Show Text Input Options

AutoText is different all together. Most people that have BlackBerry phones don't even know they're phone has the AutoText feature.

With AutoText, you can create your very own shorthand that will convert to actual words or phrases as you type. Here are some examples I've created:

As I type the word on the left, it will convert to what I've created on the right. Some of them are already preset for you, such as mypin.

mypin - "your PIN #"
    myn - "my first and last name"
    myadd - "my full home address...Street Name, City, State, Zip"
    myq - "my cell number"
    myf - "my fax number"
    myh - "my home number"
    iwbhs - "I'm running late. I will be home soom."
    mye - "my Email address"
    u - "you"
    ur - "your"
    luv - "love"
    ggl - "Google"
    bb - "BlackBerry"

The list goes on and on. I've created over 1,000 short hand words and phrases. It as allowed me to type extremely fast with less effort. I've looked at both the iPhone and Droid. I was unwilling to give up this feature. Once you use it on a daily basis, it's hard to give up.
    burl - ""
    bburl -
    "
    06-28-10 07:21 PM
    You are calling people ... but you are the one sir that spent 450 on a phone that you had no idea what it was good for and what it was not made for. I understand you wanted to play need 4 speed wile waiting for the bus to bring you home from school just in time to eat your mommy's food. But that's not the phones fault.... It's yours a little research before buying goes along way my friend. .
    You are coming here calling people fanboys but are acting like RIM was the love of your life and she cheated on you with your bf.... Easy buddy IT'S JUST A PHONE.
    Maybe you look to your phone for joy and fun??? Did RIM fail to give you this?? If so use your droid if it makes you happier....... Enjoy it and leave others enjoy what they want.
    You seriously need to cool down. It's not cool to take mobiles so personal

Keep reaching buddy

No moron. I've been saying that because I paid a premium for a smartphone, I get to bash the stupidity of the makers all I want. Unlike many blind BB loyalists, I'm well-versed on both sides of the BB vs Android argument - because I've used both. Considering that there's virtually no difference between the Bold 9000 and the most current BB's (which speaks to the pathetic nature of RIM's lack of foresight), it's very easy to judge BB vs Android today.

Keep reaching buddy.
    06-28-10 07:36 PM
    You're talking about Predictive Text. BlackBerry has this as well. I was able to enable it on my new Bold by going to Options > Language and Text input > Input Language > Show Text Input Options

AutoText is different all together. Most people that have BlackBerry phones don't even know they're phone has the AutoText feature.

With AutoText, you can create your very own shorthand that will convert to actual words or phrases as you type. Here are some examples I've created:

As I type the word on the left, it will convert to what I've created on the right. Some of them are already preset for you, such as mypin.

mypin - "your PIN #"
    myn - "my first and last name"
    myadd - "my full home address...Street Name, City, State, Zip"
    myq - "my cell number"
    myf - "my fax number"
    myh - "my home number"
    iwbhs - "I'm running late. I will be home soom."
    mye - "my Email address"
    u - "you"
    ur - "your"
    luv - "love"
    ggl - "Google"
    bb - "BlackBerry"

The list goes on and on. I've created over 1,000 short hand words and phrases. It as allowed me to type extremely fast with less effort. I've looked at both the iPhone and Droid. I was unwilling to give up this feature. Once you use it on a daily basis, it's hard to give up.
    burl - ""
    bburl -
    "
    Now I understand what you mean. I had the same impression as Matt. What you describe does seem quite useful.

Like Matt, I have been a BB user (9000, and now a 9700), but am frustrated by what appears to be a lack of new innovation beyond what was a great product. I really like the physical keyboard and keyboard shortcuts, among other things. But when I see software for other platforms that isn't available for Blackberry (medical practice software to connect to my office server when I'm away at the hospital or another facility), apps I want for Blackberry so I can take advantage of the platform, I get frustrated.

Basically, I want what Blackberry does, AND more. Why can't RIM make more substantial upgrades, and make coding for their platform easier to boot? Coming from a completely non-technical background, I'm hoping this is a valid question.

06-28-10 07:59 PM
    With AutoText, you can create your very own shorthand that will convert to actual words or phrases as you type.
    A-ha! Thank you for clearing me up. For some reason, I always thought of that function as "macro keys," but I know exactly what you're talking about now, yes. I've never used it before, so I never really took note of whether or not it was available on other phones. It seems like something that would be very useful if you were to train yourself.
    06-28-10 08:04 PM
    [size=3][b][font=comicsans][color=#000066]matt, I fail to see a purpose to this thread but to troll. You obviously are an experience BB user, so should know the differences yourself.
    An experienced BlackBerry user? Yes. Would I consider myself a BlackBerry technician, though? Absolutely not. If you search my previous posts, you'll find me asking fairly basic questions about BlackBerry functions. I always deferred to CrackBerry to get the good, true answers to my BlackBerry questions, and I'm still deferring now. I'm absolutely not trolling, though; I made the thread to communicate, not to incite, and I'd not only consider many of the responses to be helpful, but I'll bet there are plenty of lurkers who've been assisted by this thread as well. With the exception of a very select few, I think we've got a pretty good two-sided discussion going here.
    06-28-10 08:10 PM
    Basically, I want what Blackberry does, AND more. Why can't RIM make more substantial upgrades, and make coding for their platform easier to boot? Coming from a completely non-technical background, I'm hoping this is a valid question.
    That and easier/cheaper to code. We lost skyfire and I am sure many devs do not even consider BlackBerry when they plan on new apps. I was hoping 6 would kinda consolidate the platform and make coding apps for BlackBerry easier.

More apps = more features = happier customer base. Right?

An experienced BlackBerry user? Yes. Would I consider myself a BlackBerry technician, though? Absolutely not. If you search my previous posts, you'll find me asking fairly basic questions about BlackBerry functions. I always deferred to CrackBerry to get the good, true answers to my BlackBerry questions, and I'm still deferring now. I'm absolutely not trolling, though; I made the thread to communicate, not to incite, and I'd not only consider many of the responses to be helpful, but I'll bet there are plenty of lurkers who've been assisted by this thread as well. With the exception of a very select few, I think we've got a pretty good two-sided discussion going here.
    Yeah, I must agree on both major points he made...

1. Matt really isn't the troll of this thread. I do see this with a "Round-Robin" eye: we're checking out what BlackBerry can offer, sometimes comparing to what else is available, but in no way belittling any platform.

He didn't know what autotext really was (and that this is a native, very useful, BlackBerry feature). Since my native language uses characters the BlackBerry keyboard does no sport (� � � � �, etc) I find AutoText very appealing.

2. BigBadWulf's posts do help. Many times I didn't need to post a question to actually solve a problem.

Back on the question, what about BIS new implementations? Gmail and Yahoo! native contact sync. I find that very nice to have.
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-28-10 at 09:05 PM.
    06-28-10 09:01 PM
    Threads like this pop up all the time. I have one thing to say. Who cares? BB is not for everyone. If you want a fragile toy with poor battery life, get one of those. If you want a workhorse with great battery life, that gets the job done, get a BB.
    Is that the only reasoning BB people give? you do realize the iphone is not a toy you can play games on the BB too. So is the Storm a toy too? I'm assuming when you say toy you're referring to the iphone... Seriously get over it... with what the iphone and all the other phones can do of course they're not going to have a 5-6hrs talk time battery life. when you start to add larger screens, higher pixels and a **** load of features in a small slim design the life of the battery will be shorter. BB has a lot "less" features thus it can have a longer batt. life. And beside the market has tons of other phones that are innovative. For that past 2yrs all RIM has been doing is making lower end phone models of existing phones. RIM sucks as a consumer brand, they dominate in the business market but they need to stop bs'ing the consumers unless that's what they want to do remain a low end player in the consumer market. if so then they've got that on lock too.

i just said something negative about RIM so i'm sure all the die hard BB lovers will come out screaming. I own a BB 9700 but i'm not clueless to the fact that RIM is a slacking company that clearly doesn't know what they're doing in the consumer market.
    06-28-10 11:58 PM
    dev, try reading the entire thread. There have been a lot more reasons given than that.

Matt, how since Nov 08 have you used a BB, and never known about autotext? The first time I typed on mine I saw and explored it. I do agree, there has been a lot of productive discussion, but my perception of your posts is certainly shared. I hope some lurkers have gained some valuable information from this thread, and it will help them make the best choice for them in a platform. The blatant trolling is an unfortunate addition, but has certainly added some comedy, however unintended.

Skyfire left the scene, due to their beta testing being compromised by the leaking of their browser. They're still working on a browser, it's just kept close at hand now. There are a lot more resources than meet the eye for BlackBerry professionals to use. I know medicine was an issue brought up, so I did a quick search, and found this. Is the GUI a challenge for developers? To a point it certainly is, but Java provides a wealth of free training to help, and I'm willing to bet there's an app for darn near anything you desire, if you know how to search. The weak point for BlackBerry is RIM itself, and with the Beta Zone site now open, and discussions direct with RIM employees occurring, I could be farting out my optimistic hole, but I'm of the opinion the game is starting anew. The leaked specs of the S3 definitely point that way.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 06-29-10 at 04:42 AM.
    06-29-10 04:39 AM
    dev, try reading the entire thread. There have been a lot more reasons given than that.

Matt, how since Nov 08 have you used a BB, and never known about autotext? The first time I typed on mine I saw and explored it. I do agree, there has been a lot of productive discussion, but my perception of your posts is certainly shared. I hope some lurkers have gained some valuable information from this thread, and it will help them make the best choice for them in a platform. The blatant trolling is an unfortunate addition, but has certainly added some comedy, however unintended.

Skyfire left the scene, due to their beta testing being compromised by the leaking of their browser. They're still working on a browser, it's just kept close at hand now. There are a lot more resources than meet the eye for BlackBerry professionals to use. I know medicine was an issue brought up, so I did a quick search, and found this. Is the GUI a challenge for developers? To a point it certainly is, but Java provides a wealth of free training to help, and I'm willing to bet there's an app for darn near anything you desire, if you know how to search. The weak point for BlackBerry is RIM itself, and with the Beta Zone site now open, and discussions direct with RIM employees occurring, I could be farting out my optimistic hole, but I'm of the opinion the game is starting anew. The leaked specs of the S3 definitely point that way.
    Maybe you should do a recap for all those that missed it or simply just ignore it lol
    "But my Droid has push email" emmmm no it doesn't, or just for gmail and I've tested it with a friend and he got the emails minutes later not seconds later as my blackberry which can do it for 10 accounts at the time.

06-29-10 06:22 AM
    Mkay, my thread recap:

BlackBerry>Droid>iphone>rest>trolls

06-29-10 08:40 AM

Thanks for the medical apps link, Wulf. I read that thread when it came out, since I'm constantly looking for such apps. I have Epocrates, which is the major program everyone always mentions when discussing the topic. The major issue is that Epocrates cannot be closed on the Blackberry, and has a tendency to cause a memory leak. Fortunately, on the 9700, this has become much less of an issue. Epocrates on other platforms does not have the same problem, which irritates me.

The apps listed are, sadly, almost all that is available. But what about electronic medical records, patient data access, ability to look up x-rays and lab tests, etc? There are even web based systems available now, which blackberry can't really access through its browser. This is what frustrates me. Blackberry has great functions that should make it ideal - encrypted data transfer, great keyboard, shortcuts for typing, etc. But I am always finding out that companies do not offer options for Blackberry, instead focusing on its competitors. I really want Blackberry to succeed. I just see my field moving away from it, which is the source of my frustration.

06-29-10 09:27 AM

ha! i lol'ed
    06-29-10 10:18 AM
    Thanks for the medical apps link, Wulf. I read that thread when it came out, since I'm constantly looking for such apps. I have Epocrates, which is the major program everyone always mentions when discussing the topic. The major issue is that Epocrates cannot be closed on the Blackberry, and has a tendency to cause a memory leak. Fortunately, on the 9700, this has become much less of an issue. Epocrates on other platforms does not have the same problem, which irritates me.

The apps listed are, sadly, almost all that is available. But what about electronic medical records, patient data access, ability to look up x-rays and lab tests, etc? There are even web based systems available now, which blackberry can't really access through its browser. This is what frustrates me. Blackberry has great functions that should make it ideal - encrypted data transfer, great keyboard, shortcuts for typing, etc. But I am always finding out that companies do not offer options for Blackberry, instead focusing on its competitors. I really want Blackberry to succeed. I just see my field moving away from it, which is the source of my frustration.

I've checked into accessing PC's as you spoke of. It's possible, and I'll leave it to someone who knows what they're talking about to shed more light on it.
    06-29-10 10:32 AM
    What is this, some sort of pi**ing contest? Hang on a few minutes, I am looking for a farting app for my BlackBerry.
    dude you crack me up XD
    06-29-10 10:32 AM
    Is that the only reasoning BB people give? you do realize the iphone is not a toy you can play games on the BB too. So is the Storm a toy too? I'm assuming when you say toy you're referring to the iphone... Seriously get over it... with what the iphone and all the other phones can do of course they're not going to have a 5-6hrs talk time battery life. when you start to add larger screens, higher pixels and a **** load of features in a small slim design the life of the battery will be shorter. BB has a lot "less" features thus it can have a longer batt. life. And beside the market has tons of other phones that are innovative. For that past 2yrs all RIM has been doing is making lower end phone models of existing phones. RIM sucks as a consumer brand, they dominate in the business market but they need to stop bs'ing the consumers unless that's what they want to do remain a low end player in the consumer market. if so then they've got that on lock too.

i just said something negative about RIM so i'm sure all the die hard BB lovers will come out screaming. I own a BB 9700 but i'm not clueless to the fact that RIM is a slacking company that clearly doesn't know what they're doing in the consumer market.
    QFT.

You are right about them getting ready to blast you because you spoke the truth. I can do everything a BB can with an iPhone and Android 10x better plus 1000x other things besides games.
    06-29-10 10:44 AM
    What BlackBerry offers to me as a casual consumer user compared to android and/or iOS? That's a long list
    The other OS's have features and hardware that leave me drooling, and I have left the "obsolete" Berry in the drawer for them several times, but I'm always back in black at the end of the day

I'll cover some of my highlights, excluding third party apps except where noted:

Profiles. Notification system settings are comprehensive to say the least. Add BerryBuzz and I know what came in by looking at the LED and I can set persistent reminders for important items.
    Bedside mode. I drop my Berry in the cradle and it shows a nice dim clock and switches to the phone only profile. Can set up however I like.

Auto on/off. I've been caught away from a charger overnight a couple of times and this has been very handy.

Autotext. User programmable, and available globally.

Spell check. I can't spell Also available globally.

Font settings. Size and style changes for those who don't like to squint.

Outlook sync. Yeah, I have to plug in but BlackBerry syncs notes, tasks, calendar, and contacts very well.

Password keeper. Built in, locks with its own password, random generator, easy copy and paste.

Copy, cut and paste. Available globally, fast and easy.

Download/attach any file type. Even if the Berry can't use it. Limited by size but at least its built in.

Keyboard shortcuts. These make doing anything faster and they're everywhere!

Security. I don't have BES so no remote wipe without a third party app. However, the built in encryption and password wipe are more than good enough for me

that is a great list! Especially like these two,

Download/attach any file type. Even if the Berry can't use it. Limited by size but at least its built in.

Keyboard shortcuts. These make doing anything faster and they're everywhere!
    I love how you can download/view/attach any file type on BB, it gives you a piece of mind when you have to deal with important documents on the go, whether they're for work or school.
    06-29-10 10:55 AM
    The BB is not your phone, clearly you lacked information when you purchased it
    Thats they way it is with most trolls.. hehe
    06-29-10 10:56 AM
    Actually, constantly making things up about why BB's are better (security for consumers, BB's are pure business machines - that kind of crock) make a lot of BB fans trolls. It's funny when I spout the truth, it puts me as borderline troll. Sure.
    stop trolling, its getting annoying...
    06-29-10 10:57 AM
    We missed you alby. 1000x other things huh. Why do I picture you typing that in between bites of mashed peas with your computer next to the high chair.
    06-29-10 11:00 AM
    QFT.

You are right about them getting ready to blast you because you spoke the truth. I can do everything a BB can with an iPhone and Android 10x better plus 1000x other things besides games.
    Really, did you even read any of the posts above? Let me tell you what you can't do: instant push email for 10 accounts, bbm which replaces sms and mms really, bbm groups with a shared calendar/files/photos lists etc, can't type on a physical qwerty, can't have many many shortcuts on the qwerty keyboard, can't have a light blink at you when you get a message, can't customize absolutely everything on it, can't remove battery, can't properly multitask with apps in the background doing their job not just on hold, can't remove memory and etc etc

06-29-10 11:02 AM
    Many of you think BB are only good for eMail and BBM only. I don't look at it that way because a BB means more to me. It does all the things I need it to do. I use my phone for 95% personal and 5% work related.

My bb calendar is proactive with work schedules, bdays, vacations, meetings, gym training and courses and I love the fact that I can enter all these events real fast with a physical keyboard. I have 16GB of media content filled with music, videos and pics and very satisfied with the consumer functionality of my phone.

Sure I can pick up an iPhone or switch to an Android at anytime but they don't fulfil my needs. Most iPhone features that I would use is all already on my BB. I don't play games and don't give a crap about flashy color icons. I just want my phone to work the way I want it to be and the BB platform is by far the only one that meets my need.

A BB fits my lifestyle perfectly but it doesn't necessary will for you. If you don't like your phone then go get yourself another one instead of going around forums and b!tch about it and spreading your negative attitude around other people. No one is holding a gun to your head telling you to get a Blackberry.

Who the F cares about the success or failure of the iPhone. Unless you have shares in the company then don't go around and try to convert people to use something they don't like want to. You need to get a life and not worry about the success or failure of other companies that you don't have any relations to.

well said!
    06-29-10 11:26 AM
    well said!
    Yeah, they said a mouth full with that one.
    06-29-10 11:36 AM
    QFT.

I've a song for you
    06-29-10 11:37 AM
190 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD