You have mentioned several different phones that you have now, first you were here for a client, then you mention your Storm, then an 8310, then an HTC Incredible. So what do you use?
    My last personal cellphone was the BlackBerry Storm 9530. My current personal cellphone is the HTC Droid Incredible. My current work cellphone is a BlackBerry Curve 8310. My client's business uses a mix of Bolds and Tours.
    06-28-10 10:19 AM
    I don't recall making things up?
    Some people do bring up security, and I do agree, that the BB off of BES is hardly any more secure than other platforms, but the BB has more to offer than just precived security

the trolling is you constantly looking to pick fights, this is a BB fan site, yet your only goal seems to be to take down BB fans and say what ever other platform you are a fan of is better.

You can not accept that some people don't feel the same as you do, ON a BB fan site it is hardly trolling to say how much you love your device, if I were to go to the iphone blog then it would be,
    Actually, like I have stated several times, if people have their preference then fine. But fanboys constantly falling back on the weak arguments of security, business, and reliability make them trolls. Using arguments they can't back up is trolling. And then there are the few attempts to actually say BBs are superior overall over Android and iPhone with a straight face - that's trolling.

The level of transparency among jaded BB users is hilarious. You and many other BB fanboys can't handle the truth so you start calling those like me trolls. Speaking the truth isn't trolling buddy.

This is just like politics. The candidate that's losing the fact-check war starts resorting to name calling. So easy to see through.

This is one of the ways RIM is going to beat the iPhone and Android � Boy Genius Report
    Amazing.
    06-28-10 10:32 AM
    Actually, like I have stated several times, if people have their preference then fine. But fanboys constantly falling back on the weak arguments of security, business, and reliability make them trolls. Using arguments they can't back up is trolling. And then there are the few attempts to actually say BBs are superior overall over Android and iPhone with a straight face - that's trolling.

The level of transparency among jaded BB users is hilarious. You and many other BB fanboys can't handle the truth so you start calling those like me trolls. Speaking the truth isn't trolling buddy.

This is just like politics. The candidate that's losing the fact-check war starts resorting to name calling. So easy to see through.

This is one of the ways RIM is going to beat the iPhone and Android � Boy Genius Report
    Amazing.

a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response
    I call you a Troll because clearly you come here with the primary intent of provoking other users.

I have yet to see an apparent truth, about how the BB doesn't meet my needs and the needs of so many others on the forums.
    I don't fill my posts with half truths I just call you on your behaviour, you don't like it so you go blasting away turning things around back to security and what other people have said. The people who actually have tried other platforms, and actually have made the choice to stay with blackberry for educated reasons, those people you ignore in your posts unless you can find something small to pick at and figure out a way to say BB sucks blah blah,
    06-28-10 10:39 AM
    Security can mean different things to different people. If I owned a big company I would want to control everything that my employees did during working hours on devices provided by my company.
    Enter BES and Blackberry. That is security that no other platform can offer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 10:58 AM
    Security can mean different things to different people. If I owned a big company I would want to control everything that my employees did during working hours on devices provided by my company.
    Enter BES and Blackberry. That is security that no other platform can offer.

Exactly, and it's not just an issue of security when it comes to this. being able to keep people's documents up to date remotely no matter where they are is a huge plus as well.
    06-28-10 11:00 AM
    I hope you're not referring to me! That's not what I'm doing.
    It may not be what you're doing Matt, but this thread became a platform for some who do. It gets tiresome to defend a choice only to be told you're wrong - or worse. As one who does research, I have to tell you your approach is not one that will put people at ease to speak honestly. What is does is put people on the defensive. Comments like BlackBerry users are shorting themselves by not exploring what is out there, (paraphrasing), puts people on the defensive. There is one thing you aren't seeing, the ease of use - the comfortable factor. It is something some - like those three trolls, use as a criticism. What many mean when they say "it does what I want" is they are good at using it. There is a learning curve with any device and it is not a bad thing when one has mastered a device and is good with it.

Last edited by exelant; 06-28-10 at 11:18 AM.
    06-28-10 11:08 AM
    I'm curious why people keep comparing the latest Android device with the OS that came out in the last week with BB phones released 2 years ago. How does that benefit the discussion. Is the argument being posed that the other platform can do many of the things that BB can do? So why not just pick the one you want? If I was your client Matt I would expect your analysis to include all the latest features and phones on the market and to be honest, I would be less than pleased to learn you based your decision in part on a thread you created on crackberry.
    06-28-10 11:43 AM
    I call you a Troll because clearly you come here with the primary intent of provoking other users.

I have yet to see an apparent truth, about how the BB doesn't meet my needs and the needs of so many others on the forums.
    I don't fill my posts with half truths I just call you on your behaviour, you don't like it so you go blasting away turning things around back to security and what other people have said. The people who actually have tried other platforms, and actually have made the choice to stay with blackberry for educated reasons, those people you ignore in your posts unless you can find something small to pick at and figure out a way to say BB sucks blah blah,
    Like I said before, paying $450 for a Bold 9000 pretty much entitles me to crap on RIM's failing consumer strategy. And like I said before, just because the truth hurts doesn't mean it's trolling.

The pathetic defense of the BB platform (not defense of PERSONAL PREFERENCE - keep reading this over) by many here is why RIM is on such an epic slide down.

Trolling is when you make things up to provoke others - which is more in line with many BB addicts here who bash Android and iPhone as toys. Hilarious.

Blah blah keep trying.
    06-28-10 12:28 PM
    It may not be what you're doing Matt, but this thread became a platform for some who do. It gets tiresome to defend a choice only to be told you're wrong - or worse. As one who does research, I have to tell you your approach is not one that will put people at ease to speak honestly. What is does is put people on the defensive. Comments like BlackBerry users are shorting themselves by not exploring what is out there, (paraphrasing), puts people on the defensive. There is one thing you aren't seeing, the ease of use - the comfortable factor. It is something some - like those three trolls, use as a criticism. What many mean when they say "it does what I want" is they are good at using it. There is a learning curve with any device and it is not a bad thing when one has mastered a device and is good with it.

Well you're wrong and you've doomed us all with your shortsightedness. Now my kids are going to grow up without a father, thanks dude.
    06-28-10 12:31 PM
    Like I said before, paying $450 for a Bold 9000 pretty much entitles me to crap on RIM's failing consumer strategy. And like I said before, just because the truth hurts doesn't mean it's trolling.

The pathetic defense of the BB platform (not defense of PERSONAL PREFERENCE - keep reading this over) by many here is why RIM is on such an epic slide down.

Trolling is when you make things up to provoke others - which is more in line with many BB addicts here who bash Android and iPhone as toys. Hilarious.

Blah blah keep trying.
    You are trying to compare an old BlackBerry model to the most recent Android devices. It is like comparing apples and oranges. The 9000 is over 2 years old. It is outdated at this time. You need to live with its limitations or get a new device (whether BlackBerry, Android, Win Mobile, iPhone, Symbian) that is current.
    06-28-10 12:38 PM

Blah blah keep trying.

Then go to the RIM sites your 450 was spent for them.
    This is an enthusiest community

and The Andriod/ iPhone's ARE more toy based than the BB's that is factual, NOT a bad thing at all, since clearly people want to play games, look at the Storm 2, and people wanting OPENGL, I support the desire to have toys on the device, but they are more toy based than my BB purely by design, be it lack of design on the BB side, and engineered design on the touch screen consumer phone.

Trolling does not have to be making things up, you can omit facts, or simply choose to focus on just a few down points and keep hitting them home over and over, negating the rest of a topic. which is why you bring up security as much as the BB users who really don't know why they have their BB but like it, and want to find a reason.
    Last edited by deRusett; 06-28-10 at 01:12 PM.
    06-28-10 12:44 PM
    When did you pay $450 for the 9000? You are not only a troll but I suspect a little challenged as well.
    06-28-10 12:49 PM
    Max, your list is great and I agree: SpellCheck on BlackBerry is a real jewel. But let's not forget autotext! I have loads of autotext set for both Portuguese (live in brasil) and English and that saves me a **** load of time (also saves me from some embarrassing situations).

Should trolls (and let's be honest, aggressive fanboys) stay away from this thread, we migh end up with a honest list of great BlackBerry features.

Umm, not exactly. Everyone has predictive text (SureType in RIMese) but BlackBerry has an honest to goodness spell checker. There's a difference to those of us who, like myself, can't spell worth a bantha pudoo Spell check means I can turn SureType off and check the spelling after I'm done typing. Which helps me to keep my flow...such as it is
    You said bantha pudoo how did the forum cops not **** that?
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-28-10 at 01:12 PM.
    06-28-10 01:07 PM
    For me the reasons i stick with blackberry are simple. All these things I will mention is what I believe my blackberry does better then all the other phones I use and this is the reason i use a BB today

-Battery life (AMAZING on my 9700) I don't care what they say I NEED to make/receive calls on my cell phone. Have a charger here and there is not my thing. I get up in the morning and I know no matter what the usage i do today... i will have enough juice to pass the day

- BBM (you said not to mention this but it's important to me) I message people from all over the world sometimes and it's nice to know they got the message. When your work depends on messages that little "D" and "R" are priceless.

-Shortcuts I have a shortcut for everything when typing... all i do is enter fu and it spells..you know what lol... but i got so use to it now that i barley ever type full words

-Speed Dial Very important for me. Not favorites like the iphone.... real speed dial. I have almost every letter/number on my keyboard assigned to someone. Very fast and easy

-Call Quality. the call quality on my berry is great very important for me

-LED I love the led

-price of data when going to the us for work and personal. It's so cheap that i don't even bother adding any LD data plan

-And speed... for some reason things just get done faster on blackberry for me. For searching contacts to replying to emails it's just faster for me on a berry

As you see those are my TOP needs on my phone. And blackberry does this 100% perfect for me. Would it be nice if it had a better browser? Yes but do i really care? No

I think the difference between people that love and hate RIM is there view towards a phone.... We (people that like RIM) look at our mobiles as tools.. tools to make life faster and easier. Iphone and Droid users are mostly looking for something fun and entertaining from there phones. Just my opinion
    06-28-10 01:41 PM
    Then go to the RIM sites your 450 was spent for them.
    This is an enthusiest community

and The Andriod/ iPhone's ARE more toy based than the BB's that is factual, NOT a bad thing at all, since clearly people want to play games, look at the Storm 2, and people wanting OPENGL, I support the desire to have toys on the device, but they are more toy based than my BB purely by design, be it lack of design on the BB side, and engineered design on the touch screen consumer phone.
    Just because Android and iPhone have more games than BB doesn't make it toy-based. Try to keep up with logic here: the platform enables a more wide variety of apps to be developed for Android and iPhone. Not just games but business apps as well. The BB is a poor development environment by design - so you won't see any kind of mass development for it, whether they are games or business apps. Notice how many developers (non-game) crap on RIM? See what I did? Just keep throwing around things as facts buddy.
    06-28-10 02:16 PM
    When did you pay $450 for the 9000? You are not only a troll but I suspect a little challenged as well.
    The common asking price for the 9000 back then was $450 .... This was way before the 9700 came out.

Keep reaching there.
    06-28-10 02:18 PM
    You are trying to compare an old BlackBerry model to the most recent Android devices. It is like comparing apples and oranges. The 9000 is over 2 years old. It is outdated at this time. You need to live with its limitations or get a new device (whether BlackBerry, Android, Win Mobile, iPhone, Symbian) that is current.
    Oh yes because BB's have evolved so much since the 9000? What? The trackpad? That INNOVATIVE thing? OS 6? Even CB readers are crapping on it.
    06-28-10 02:22 PM
    So you're complaining that a phone you bought one and a half years ago isn't stacking up with current offerings? Or are you complaining that you didn't research a $450 purchase before you made it? Before you get your panties all twisted up and blame everyone else for your problems you might want to look at your own mistakes.
    06-28-10 02:30 PM
    SpellCheck on BlackBerry is a real jewel. But let's not forget autotext! I have loads of autotext set for both Portuguese (live in brasil) and English and that saves me a **** load of time (also saves me from some embarrassing situations).
    Just wanted to clear something up, as I've seen spellcheck / autotext mentioned several times -- this is also an option on the Droid OS. Not trolling, not baiting, just explaining. I'd assume the iPhone has this as well. I thought spellcheck and autotext were totally standard features these days...?
    06-28-10 06:06 PM
    Just wanted to clear something up, as I've seen spellcheck / autotext mentioned several times -- this is also an option on the Droid OS. Not trolling, not baiting, just explaining. I'd assume the iPhone has this as well. I thought spellcheck and autotext were totally standard features these days...?
    Blackberry is the only one that has it natively. You can only get it on the Droid if you install a 3rd party keyboard. Therefore you can't use it with the stock keyboard. Since it's a 3rd party app, if future updates come out that won't support certain features of that keyboard, or if the developer decides to no longer support future updates then you're screwed.
    iPhone doesn't have AutoText like BlackBerry.
    06-28-10 06:13 PM
    So you're complaining that a phone you bought one and a half years ago isn't stacking up with current offerings? Or are you complaining that you didn't research a $450 purchase before you made it? Before you get your panties all twisted up and blame everyone else for your problems you might want to look at your own mistakes.
    ... I've been saying that because I paid a premium for a smartphone, I get to bash the stupidity of the makers all I want. Unlike many blind BB loyalists, I'm well-versed on both sides of the BB vs Android argument - because I've used both. Considering that there's virtually no difference between the Bold 9000 and the most current BB's (which speaks to the pathetic nature of RIM's lack of foresight), it's very easy to judge BB vs Android today.

Keep reaching buddy.
    06-28-10 06:18 PM
    Blackberry is the only one that has it natively. You can only get it on the Droid if you install a 3rd party keyboard. Therefore you can't use it with the stock keyboard. Since it's a 3rd party app, if future updates come out that won't support certain features of that keyboard, or if the developer decides to no longer support future updates then you're screwed.
    iPhone doesn't have AutoText like BlackBerry.
    Maybe we're talking about two different things? All I can tell you is that my HTC Droid Incredible running the 2.2 SenseUI has it natively. I didn't install a third-party keyboard. It suggests words for me as I'm typing, and it tells me when I've spelled something incorrectly and fixes it for me automatically.
    06-28-10 06:21 PM
    Maybe we're talking about two different things? All I can tell you is that my HTC Droid Incredible running the 2.2 SenseUI has it natively. I didn't install a third-party keyboard. It suggests words for me as I'm typing, and it tells me when I've spelled something incorrectly and fixes it for me automatically.
    You're talking about Predictive Text. BlackBerry has this as well. I was able to enable it on my new Bold by going to Options > Language and Text input > Input Language > Show Text Input Options

AutoText is different all together. Most people that have BlackBerry phones don't even know they're phone has the AutoText feature.

With AutoText, you can create your very own shorthand that will convert to actual words or phrases as you type. Here are some examples I've created:

As I type the word on the left, it will convert to what I've created on the right. Some of them are already preset for you, such as mypin.

mypin - "your PIN #"
    myn - "my first and last name"
    myadd - "my full home address...Street Name, City, State, Zip"
    myq - "my cell number"
    myf - "my fax number"
    myh - "my home number"
    iwbhs - "I'm running late. I will be home soom."
    mye - "my Email address"
    u - "you"
    ur - "your"
    luv - "love"
    ggl - "Google"
    bb - "BlackBerry"

The list goes on and on. I've created over 1,000 short hand words and phrases. It as allowed me to type extremely fast with less effort. I've looked at both the iPhone and Droid. I was unwilling to give up this feature. Once you use it on a daily basis, it's hard to give up.
    burl - ""
    bburl -
    "
    06-28-10 06:32 PM
    matt, I fail to see a purpose to this thread but to troll. You obviously are an experience BB user, so should know the differences yourself.

Alby, you are just plain pathetic. Try doing more research before you spend your money next time, and gripe to the manufacturer your grievances, not the consumers. I've an 8100 I still like, and understand it's shortcomings.

It comes down to this. All the manufactures make devices with nice features, and continue to develop them. Has RIM started to lag? Sure, but they have continued to lead for business, and I'll bet you will rise to the occasion for the consumer as well. And don't start the fanboy crap. The droids and iphone 4G are damn nice phones, and I wouldn't mock anyone who has one.
    06-28-10 06:36 PM
    govt - government
    bb - BlackBerry
    bday - birthday
    nit - I hate that woman and hope to never see her again as long as I live!
    06-28-10 06:37 PM
190 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD