Blackberrys are for the grown and sexy!
    How long did it take you to come up with that dumb-assed line?
    06-28-10 05:57 AM
    06-28-10 06:04 AM
    Hey, be nice kid! Didn't your mother tell you, when grown folks are talking shut your mouth! You kids never learn huh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 06:07 AM
    You're about as clever as moder81.
    06-28-10 06:22 AM
    This is for TheOne01 My pin3175F9F6 add me! You seem like a cool person.

06-28-10 06:28 AM
    You're about as clever as moder81.

The crying Troll.
    Last edited by exelant; 06-29-10 at 11:52 AM.
    06-28-10 07:06 AM
    Children should not be allowed on the internets without parental supervision.

06-28-10 07:13 AM
    If you choose to use a bb that is fine, that is your choice. However, if your needs are the reasons that you gave, other platforms do these things just as well (minus the physical keyboard). So to say that bb is the only one that can fulfill your needs is pure fanboyism.
    with all due respect, and not much is due, ALL his needs are not met, had to make an exception to post this,

and tactile input is very important, I flew to another country to buy my last laptop for the keyboard! I didn't save money, I didn't get an unavailable spec, all I got was a Keyboard that had the Shift and the Z key side by side. that is how much input methods can matter to people.
    06-28-10 07:15 AM
    Hahahaha, someone at the preschool must have left the computer unattended.

Seriously, I didn't know you couldn't copy files to the iphone to transport! I use my 9700 to bring file home from work all the time. No autotext? Wtf. How does one get work done while on the go? I guess I could just play games.

06-28-10 07:21 AM
    Actually, constantly making things up about why BB's are better (security for consumers, BB's are pure business machines - that kind of crock) make a lot of BB fans trolls. It's funny when I spout the truth, it puts me as borderline troll. Sure.

I don't recall making things up?
    Some people do bring up security, and I do agree, that the BB off of BES is hardly any more secure than other platforms, but the BB has more to offer than just precived security

the trolling is you constantly looking to pick fights, this is a BB fan site, yet your only goal seems to be to take down BB fans and say what ever other platform you are a fan of is better.

You can not accept that some people don't feel the same as you do, ON a BB fan site it is hardly trolling to say how much you love your device, if I were to go to the iphone blog then it would be,
    06-28-10 07:28 AM
    Android is nice but it doesn't have universal copy and paste, and spell check.
    My HTC Droid Incredible is running the 2.2 SenseUI OS and it most certainly does have universal copy/paste and spell check...

What I've learned from this thread is that a lot of people who own BlackBerrys truly think that their phone is doing something that other phones can't do, but I really truly promise that they can. Form-factor, a good tactile keyboard, BlackBerry Messenger, and customized sound/notification profiles are the only ones I've read so far that are truly BlackBerry-exclusive. Everything else... I think there has been some misinformation strewn about, or something. I'm not sure what sense to make of it. I think a lot of people who replied never actually used a Droid phone before, or they wouldn't be listing these things as unique to the BlackBerry. It's like everyone is stuck back in 2002, when all of this was actually true.

I 100% understand form-factor preference and keyboard preference - i.e., the physical characteristics of the BlackBerry. I get it, I absolutely do. What I don't understand is this steadfast insistence that the selling points BlackBerry gave 10 years ago are still relevant today. They aren't. A BlackBerry is no more "secure" or "business-suited" or "messaging/email-capable" than any other smartphone in 2010. I don't mean to come off insulting, but I have to ask -- what is the root of this intentional ignorance? Is it brand protection/loyalty? All it takes is reading a few gadget/tech blogs or actually using one of the other smart phones to see what I mean.

Also, I should clarify that I am not at all intending to persuade anybody to switch to a different phone. Personal preference is personal preference! It's no big deal. For instance, I insist on using IBM "Model M" clicky keyboards because I think I type the best on them. I get it. But what this has turned out to be about isn't preference anymore, it's about a lot of users here steadfastly clinging to outdated, inaccurate information. Someone earlier seriously listed BlackBerry's "calendar" abilities. I mean... I don't even know what to say.
    06-28-10 07:39 AM
    My HTC Droid Incredible is running the 2.2 SenseUI OS and it most certainly does have universal copy/paste and spell check...

What I've learned from this thread is that a lot of people who own BlackBerrys truly think that their phone is doing something that other phones can't do, but I really truly promise that they can. Form-factor, a good tactile keyboard, BlackBerry Messenger, and customized sound/notification profiles are the only ones I've read so far that are truly BlackBerry-exclusive. Everything else... I think there has been some misinformation strewn about, or something. I'm not sure what sense to make of it. I think a lot of people who replied never actually used a Droid phone before, or they wouldn't be listing these things as unique to the BlackBerry. It's like everyone is stuck back in 2002, when all of this was actually true.

I 100% understand form-factor preference and keyboard preference - i.e., the physical characteristics of the BlackBerry. I get it, I absolutely do. What I don't understand is this steadfast insistence that the selling points BlackBerry gave 10 years ago are still relevant today. They aren't. A BlackBerry is no more "secure" or "business-suited" or "messaging/email-capable" than any other smartphone in 2010. I don't mean to come off insulting, but I have to ask -- what is the root of this intentional ignorance? Is it brand protection/loyalty? All it takes is reading a few gadget/tech blogs or actually using one of the other smart phones to see what I mean.

Also, I should clarify that I am not at all intending to persuade anybody to switch to a different phone. Personal preference is personal preference! It's no big deal. For instance, I insist on using IBM "Model M" clicky keyboards because I think I type the best on them. I get it. But what this has turned out to be about isn't preference anymore, it's about a lot of users here steadfastly clinging to outdated, inaccurate information. Someone earlier seriously listed BlackBerry's "calendar" abilities. I mean... I don't even know what to say.

Andriod OS 2.1 didn't have universal copy/paste did it? IF that is the case, lets go back to 2009 NOT 2002.
    And consumers being 1 year out of date or even 2 isn't a hard stretch since most don't upgrade phones yearly.

as for messaging, I have yet to find the messaging tool that is better than BBM, and I'm talking as much corporate as I am consumer, knowing when my buddies read the message or if it got delivered allows to to know if they are on the phone/ away from the phone, it is a feature that those that don't use it underestmate, and those that use it over value, I know I over value BBM, but I can't think of a day I don't use it heavily, both work, and personal.

BB does offer something as a package, just as Android/HTC and Android/Moto offer a package, and I have to say, Android on it's own is pretty appealing but it lacks the package, and for me nothing about the iPhone is appealing anymore after using the ipod touch.

you can't look at the phones as a check list of the parts, you must look at them as the sum, the BB is a platform for communication within it's self that is what it does really well.

There are some take it or leave it features on every platform, those are the features you need to care about, and they are different for everyone, you must find the phone that has all of your take it features, it doesn't matter if all the other phones now do 1 or 2 of them you want a phone that does them all, and if one of those features are tactile keyboard, then Android and apple can do everything else that BB does, and still come up as not good enough lacking 1 important feature.

Once Moto/HTC come out with a solid candybar qwerty, I suspect more BB users who are hinging purely on keyboard will jump ship.
    06-28-10 08:11 AM

Well this post is flawed from the beginning, how are we blackberry users supposed to know all the features the android platform has if we've never tried it before? And even if we did, we only just played with it for a bit.

Anyway, Android doesn't seem to be interested in coming out with a qwerty candybar device, only touch screen. I tried touch screen and I can't get on with it last one being the Storm 2.

06-28-10 08:17 AM
    I gave this thread some long hard thought last night. No device is perfect, and no device will ever be perfect. They all have their downfalls, especially when it comes to the OS. Each has several strong points. Find the one that works the best for YOU, and stick with that.

I don't expect everyone to have the same needs as me. BlackBerry gets the job done for me. I have tried iPhone, WinMo and Android, and have come back to the BlackBerry platform each time, wondering why I left. The last time was from Android. I tried it, and the more I used it, the more I missed the features of the BlackBerry. Sure, the internet was blazing fast, but I had no profile management, and I had no AutoText, and bedside mode? Forget it. I needed to download apps onto the phone that can be found on most dumbphones.

It's all about personal needs, and if BlackBerry doesn't work for you....what are you doing on this forum?
    06-28-10 08:35 AM
    as for messaging, I have yet to find the messaging tool that is better than BBM, and I'm talking as much corporate as I am consumer, knowing when my buddies read the message or if it got delivered allows to to know if they are on the phone/ away from the phone, it is a feature that those that don't use it underestmate, and those that use it over value, I know I over value BBM, but I can't think of a day I don't use it heavily, both work, and personal.
    This was my favorite pro-BlackBerry response so far. Thank you for taking the time to reply and give some even-keeled information. I agree with most of it. I can also tell you that the #1 thing that made me nervous about switching from my BlackBerry Storm 9530 to the HTC Droid Incredible was losing BlackBerry Messenger. I seriously wasn't sure I couldn't handle not having it. It only took a few days with the Droid, though, for me to not even remember BBM even existing until friends would bring up that I wasn't reading or replying to their messages anymore, but I do understand how great BBM is when you have it.
    06-28-10 08:44 AM
    It's all about personal needs, and if BlackBerry doesn't work for you....what are you doing on this forum?
    I tend to agree. I'm pretty much on nothing but BlackBerry sites because BlackBerry is the device I choice. I've been to Android and iPhone forums, but after I decided to stay with BlackBerry, I rarely, if ever, visit those sites anymore. Moving on to a new phone and platform, then coming back to a BlackBerry site on a regular basis to tell people how their phone sucks is getting old.

06-28-10 08:51 AM
    Matt - you've already stated the obvious advantages to BB - BBM, PIN, BES stuff. All good. For me, a BES and BIS user, the most important thing to me is usability. Not something you can really put a spec on, or point to a feature to explain it. It's intangible. Tried the 3GS for two weeks, then the Pre Plus, then the Inc. For my all-day non-stop messaging, doing it on my berry is just easier. I'm in the car all the time, at customer sites, etc. I can't really explain why. I use one hand almost all the time unless I'm typing and I just never felt comfortable with any of the touch devices with one hand.

It's just an overall user experience (from a messaging-centric user) that constantly brings me back to BB. The fact I'm always looking at the latest devices does say that I feel there is something lacking in the BB, but ultimately it's my device of choice. Yes, those other devices can do some very cool and useful things, but for my mobile needs, the BB just feels like it makes my work much easier to handle. If I were strictly a personal user and multiple messaging needs were not as important, I would jump back to the Inc in a heartbeat.

I get the feeling that no matter what anyone tells you, you will still struggle to find the true benefits of a BB. It would be like trying to convince me there's a reason why I should buy a Camry instead of an Accord. On my 3rd Accord in a row, buying my 4th tomorrow (Honda is blowing out 2010 inventory) and there is not a person in this world that could make me step foot on a Toyota lot no matter how great a Toyota may be in reality.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 06-28-10 at 09:03 AM.
    06-28-10 08:58 AM
    Well this post is flawed from the beginning, how are we blackberry users supposed to know all the features the android platform has if we've never tried it before? And even if we did, we only just played with it for a bit.
    Oh, of course! But then, it should also mean that people who aren't familiar with Droid phones would naturally refrain from making statements about things the BlackBerry can do that a Droid can't if you don't know it to be true, that's all. There's a LOT of misinformation in this thread because of this tendency for people with BlackBerrys insisting that their phones are doing things that others don't. This brings me back to what I do understand; form-factor, tactile keyboard, customized notifications and sound profiles, etc. But as far as software/OS goes, BlackBerry's feature list is fairly basic these days, comparatively.

I remember the time when it wasn't, when BlackBerry was the true market leader in messaging/email, which is why I was a proud owner, but then I started watching the technical world pass me by; my friends with true, current smartphones were able to do so much more than I was, and I wanted to be able to do those things, too. Even simple things like Facebook/Contacts synchronization and proper HTML rendering were alluding me. Somebody mentioned earlier that they prefer BlackBerry's browser rendering HTML the way that it does because they don't want to see a desktop-version of a webpage on their phone, but if the phone's screen and processing power supports desktop-version webpages flawlessly and without lag, why wouldn't you want that, you know?

I think a lot of this can be chalked up to the old saying that you can't miss what you don't know. What I know now, though, makes the Curve 8310 I've been issued by work to feel like a 286 desktop running DOS in 40 columns. I even upgraded it to 4.5.0.187 via the vendor.xml trick to make it as current as possible. There were some minor improvements, but it's still so woefully behind that it's akin to dialup on a Windows 98. I get BBM, a tactile keyboard, and custom sound/notification profiles, but I lose true HTML rendering, application variety, a beautiful display, an 8.1MP camera, an accelerometer, a Windows Explorer-compatible file browser along with OTA OS updates that don't require proprietary software, the ability to allow my phone to manage my processes instead of force-closing running applications that are bogging the phone's resources, an alleviation of any need for battery pulls... the list goes on and on. I absolutely love the device!

I just think BlackBerry-exclusive users are shorting themselves by not exploring other options and seeing what companies on the cusp of new technology are capable of creating for us, and I think that if more did do some exploring, it may light a fire under RIM's behind to make some improvements. It's like a sports fanbase that always goes to home games, regardless of the team's performance; if you don't give the owners any incentive to improve the product, then the product will never change. I'm curious to see if OS6 evens the playing field a bit, because OS5 just doesn't cut it. Not in comparison to the other options out there.

By the way, there's another advantage BlackBerry has to other phones: UberTwitter, which is hands-down the best Twitter client I have ever used, and it's BlackBerry-exclusive. Not a single Droid or iPhone Twitter client is as good.
    06-28-10 09:03 AM
    if BlackBerry doesn't work for you....what are you doing on this forum?
    I just wanted to talk about the topic with people, that's all. Honestly. A client is coming up on a decision to make, and it involves BlackBerry. I wanted to know what unique features BlackBerry offers that other phones in 2010 have already covered. The most-common answer I see is: "No idea. I only use BlackBerry."

I had originally come back here because I was having web-browsing problems on my Curve 8310, and I wanted to search through the threads to see if anybody else was reporting similar symptoms.
    06-28-10 09:11 AM
    Moving on to a new phone and platform, then coming back to a BlackBerry site on a regular basis to tell people how their phone sucks is getting old.
    I hope you're not referring to me! That's not what I'm doing.
    06-28-10 09:13 AM
    I get the feeling that no matter what anyone tells you, you will still struggle to find the true benefits of a BB. It would be like trying to convince me there's a reason why I should buy a Camry instead of an Accord. On my 3rd Accord in a row, buying my 4th tomorrow (Honda is blowing out 2010 inventory) and there is not a person in this world that could make me step foot on a Toyota lot no matter how great a Toyota may be in reality.
    This might be true. I'm not sure. I'm genuinely interested in seeing what OS6 has to offer. I'd go back to BlackBerry if it compared or trumped my Droid. I don't think I'd ever go iPhone, though - the Apple sub-culture is extremely grating to me. Way too much smug going on.

And as far as vehicles, I'm the same way with Subaru.
    06-28-10 09:15 AM
    I just wanted to talk about the topic with people, that's all. Honestly. A client is coming up on a decision to make, and it involves BlackBerry. I wanted to know what unique features BlackBerry offers that other phones in 2010 have already covered. The most-common answer I see is: "No idea. I only use BlackBerry."

I had originally come back here because I was having web-browsing problems on my Curve 8310, and I wanted to search through the threads to see if anybody else was reporting similar symptoms.
    Dude, the 8310 is ancient, that phone must've came out at least 4-5 years ago, maybe more. 8310 doesn't have 3G, no wifi etc
    Let's put it this way, when the 8310 came out there was no android, not for a couple of years.
    Pick up a 9700 or at least a 9000 and then compare the speed.

06-28-10 09:16 AM
    Dude, the 8310 is ancient, that phone must've came out at least 4-5 years ago, maybe more. 8310 doesn't have 3G, no wifi etc
    Let's put it this way, when the 8310 came out there was no android, not for a couple of years.
    Pick up a 9700 or at least a 9000 and then compare the speed.
    Oh, no, I totally understand. I came from a BlackBerry Storm 9530 and my girlfriend has the Bold 9000. I have I have plenty experience with more-current BlackBerry models, too.
    06-28-10 09:21 AM
    Those are both old models as well. Get on the 9700 and see how it is.

You have mentioned several different phones that you have now, first you were here for a client, then you mention your Storm, then an 8310, then an HTC Incredible. So what do you use?
    06-28-10 10:17 AM
    What BlackBerry offers to me as a casual consumer user compared to android and/or iOS? That's a long list
    The other OS's have features and hardware that leave me drooling, and I have left the "obsolete" Berry in the drawer for them several times, but I'm always back in black at the end of the day

I'll cover some of my highlights, excluding third party apps except where noted:

Profiles. Notification system settings are comprehensive to say the least. Add BerryBuzz and I know what came in by looking at the LED and I can set persistent reminders for important items.
    Bedside mode. I drop my Berry in the cradle and it shows a nice dim clock and switches to the phone only profile. Can set up however I like.

Auto on/off. I've been caught away from a charger overnight a couple of times and this has been very handy.

Autotext. User programmable, and available globally.

Spell check. I can't spell Also available globally.

Font settings. Size and style changes for those who don't like to squint.

Outlook sync. Yeah, I have to plug in but BlackBerry syncs notes, tasks, calendar, and contacts very well.

Password keeper. Built in, locks with its own password, random generator, easy copy and paste.

Copy, cut and paste. Available globally, fast and easy.

Download/attach any file type. Even if the Berry can't use it. Limited by size but at least its built in.

Keyboard shortcuts. These make doing anything faster and they're everywhere!

Security. I don't have BES so no remote wipe without a third party app. However, the built in encryption and password wipe are more than good enough for me

You don't have to plug in to sync with Outlook. Check out myFunambol. Used to be free may not be anymore but it syncs through a cloud between your BB and Outlook on your pc. You schedule how often the sync occur. Easy to do too. Plugin for Outlook and app for your BB. I love it. I only plug in occasionally now to backup my BB in case it bricks.
    06-28-10 10:18 AM
190 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD