Matt, at best you are being disingenuous. You post on a BlackBerry website that BlackBerries are becoming irrelevant, and then say you're not being a troll. Then ask us to say what we like about our devices so you can disagree with almost all comments with statements like "I can do that too." And then feel proud of yourself for putting us poor deluded BlackBerry owners in our places. Please spare us your exercise in self-aggrandizement.
    Why don't you find a nice Android site where you can talk about how wonderful your device is and how smart you are for buying it to a receptive audience - and you'll be able to do it without criticizing anyone else's choices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Matt's not being disingenuous. I'm surprised at how hard is it for BB fanboys to look in the mirror with honesty about their beloved devices. News reports after news reports about RIM don't paint a pretty picture. Even CB's Kevin feels the same way (listen to his podcast after WES).
    06-27-10 09:27 PM
    I've got to agree with the OP. I use a 9700 to run my practice, but am getting frustrated with the lack of apps, such as the iphone app available to connect with my practice management software. I love push email, and a tactile keyboard, but the platform is behind Android and iOS. BBM is only useful if everyone has it, and since I have a small business, I don't feel any desire to have the added expense of having and maintaining BES. I'd rather just have the exchange server and worry about that without BES.

That said, the battery life of my Blackberry is great. My wife's iPhone still lasts two days with average to light use, however.

06-27-10 09:29 PM
    Nice. So BB is on par then. Now how is BB more secure for the consumer without BES? I'm waiting for a legitimate answer. Keep trying and failing.
    06-27-10 09:29 PM
    Matt's not being disingenuous. I'm surprised at how hard is it for BB fanboys to look in the mirror with honesty about their beloved devices. News reports after news reports about RIM don't paint a pretty picture. Even CB's Kevin feels the same way (listen to his podcast after WES).
    I pride myself on having an open mind and as rule do not feel it is my place to criticize other's choices. After reading a number of your posts Alby, this something you are incapable of. What I said to Matt truly applies to you. Why don't you find a nice android site? I have not read anything constructive from you. As far as the fanboy crack, I guess I should expect name calling from you.

Last edited by exelant; 06-27-10 at 09:40 PM.
    06-27-10 09:38 PM
    What is this, some sort of pi**ing contest? Hang on a few minutes, I am looking for a farting app for my BlackBerry.
    06-27-10 09:38 PM
    Hahahaha! HF! Funniest thing I've read all night.

06-27-10 09:41 PM
    Pot to pi$$ in, yeah there's an app for that too. Seriously! The BlackBerry for all it's shortcomings is still the king of the business world. Are others coming up quickly from behind? No doubt.

Posted from my �berSupercharged Onyx at Idon'tneednostinkin'mobileview.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 10:09 PM
    What BlackBerry offers to me as a casual consumer user compared to android and/or iOS? That's a long list
    The other OS's have features and hardware that leave me drooling, and I have left the "obsolete" Berry in the drawer for them several times, but I'm always back in black at the end of the day

I'll cover some of my highlights, excluding third party apps except where noted:

Profiles. Notification system settings are comprehensive to say the least. Add BerryBuzz and I know what came in by looking at the LED and I can set persistent reminders for important items.
    Bedside mode. I drop my Berry in the cradle and it shows a nice dim clock and switches to the phone only profile. Can set up however I like.

Auto on/off. I've been caught away from a charger overnight a couple of times and this has been very handy.

Autotext. User programmable, and available globally.

Spell check. I can't spell Also available globally.

Font settings. Size and style changes for those who don't like to squint.

Outlook sync. Yeah, I have to plug in but BlackBerry syncs notes, tasks, calendar, and contacts very well.

Password keeper. Built in, locks with its own password, random generator, easy copy and paste.

Copy, cut and paste. Available globally, fast and easy.

Download/attach any file type. Even if the Berry can't use it. Limited by size but at least its built in.

Keyboard shortcuts. These make doing anything faster and they're everywhere!

Security. I don't have BES so no remote wipe without a third party app. However, the built in encryption and password wipe are more than good enough for me

06-27-10 10:22 PM
    Max!! What a list. I have to say my favorite is the universal cut and paste. I'm always working on Word docs and Excel sheets with Docs to Go. Sometimes even I'm amazed how good the work looks when I print.

06-27-10 10:47 PM
    I pride myself on having an open mind and as rule do not feel it is my place to criticize other's choices. After reading a number of your posts Alby, this something you are incapable of. What I said to Matt truly applies to you. Why don't you find a nice android site? I have not read anything constructive from you. As far as the fanboy crack, I guess I should expect name calling from you.

Nice try. The fact that I paid $450 for a Bold 9000 means I can crap on RIM all I want. I, like many other BB users, felt duped pretty damn fast and find it hilarious that some fanboys are defending RIM with a straight face. Of course, when I bought the Bold, the only competition was the iPhone 3GS. But the fact that the 3GS is still competitive today and the Bold 9000 is not - speaks volumes about RIM's lack of foresight. Truly pathetic.

And yes, you went through my posts so you've already read my constructive criticism of RIM. It only seems subjective to you because you're a fanboy. It seems to tick BB fans off when I actually destroy their "BBs are for security, business, and email" arguments - arguments that are the biggest crock. I just call it like it really is. I'm not a fanboy - I'm just knowledgeable enough to know a superior platform when I see one.

Wow, the Bold 9650.
    06-27-10 10:59 PM
    Max!! What a list. I have to say my favorite is the universal cut and paste. I'm always working on Word docs and Excel sheets with Docs to Go. Sometimes even I'm amazed how good the work looks when I print.

Yeah, drives me nuts trying to copy, cut, or paste with android. WebOS is a horrid contortionist act. iOS is easy and grabs pictures too.

06-27-10 11:04 PM
    What BlackBerry offers to me as a casual consumer user compared to android and/or iOS? That's a long list
    The other OS's have features and hardware that leave me drooling, and I have left the "obsolete" Berry in the drawer for them several times, but I'm always back in black at the end of the day

I'll cover some of my highlights, excluding third party apps except where noted:

Profiles. Notification system settings are comprehensive to say the least. Add BerryBuzz and I know what came in by looking at the LED and I can set persistent reminders for important items.
    Bedside mode. I drop my Berry in the cradle and it shows a nice dim clock and switches to the phone only profile. Can set up however I like.

Auto on/off. I've been caught away from a charger overnight a couple of times and this has been very handy.

Autotext. User programmable, and available globally.

Spell check. I can't spell Also available globally.

Font settings. Size and style changes for those who don't like to squint.

Outlook sync. Yeah, I have to plug in but BlackBerry syncs notes, tasks, calendar, and contacts very well.

Password keeper. Built in, locks with its own password, random generator, easy copy and paste.

Copy, cut and paste. Available globally, fast and easy.

Download/attach any file type. Even if the Berry can't use it. Limited by size but at least its built in.

Keyboard shortcuts. These make doing anything faster and they're everywhere!

Security. I don't have BES so no remote wipe without a third party app. However, the built in encryption and password wipe are more than good enough for me

I totally agree about bedside mode and Password Keeper. Those are two advantages I always forget about. I don't agree about spell check, since everyone has that, though. :/

I pretty much never want to have to connect my smartphone to my computer. The iTunes thing is a major impediment for the iPhone, I think. I still wish RIM would pick up and catch up to the rest--especially if Windows 7 mobile is anything like the upgrade Win7 is over Vista. That would mean 3 other platforms are making progress at a faster rate than RIM.

06-27-10 11:10 PM
    ...I don't agree about spell check, since everyone has that, though. :/...
    Umm, not exactly. Everyone has predictive text (SureType in RIMese) but BlackBerry has an honest to goodness spell checker. There's a difference to those of us who, like myself, can't spell worth a bantha pudoo Spell check means I can turn SureType off and check the spelling after I'm done typing. Which helps me to keep my flow...such as it is

06-27-10 11:23 PM
    Physical keyboard.

Notification and LED alert is the best.

Being able to setup push email to just about any email domain without hassle.

Quick and efficient ways of opening apps that are useful.

Cut and paste and saving pictures from webpages with ease.

Battery life isn't too bad at all

Contact sortings. Just type the first letter of the persons name and bingo!

The bad:

Small screen, but its compromise for the key board.
    Inferior browser though I've had success with 3rd party apps
    Truncated email( the worst part of a BB)
    BBM (cant stand it and delete it to save space)

Android can do all above better.

Am I considered a fanboy or do I need to list more faults on the BB?
    06-27-10 11:27 PM
    I had an OtterBox for my BlackBerry Storm 9530 and I never thought it protected it any less than a non-touchscreen device (unless I'm misunderstanding you). It doesn't really matter what type of phone the Otterbox is protecting. If it's an Otterbox, your phone is virtually indestructible; BlackBerry, Droid, iPhone, or other!

Drop a 1/2" Grade 70 Grab hook on your Storm in a Otterbox, and do the same in a modified with plexiglass otterbox for a keyboard based device,

the Storm will shatter, the plexiglass modified Otterbox will protect the screen and the device will remain useable

Also run over your phone with a Harley davidson V rod, the 8330 in the otterbox comes out un damanged, the iPhone gets a cracked screen.

because you need to have the input on the screen of the devices for touch the otterbox can not protect them as well and you have larger break points, I mean real durability here, not office enviroment bumping, or climbing in and out of your car, but working on a logging road with a big rig, or a front end loader,
    06-27-10 11:32 PM
    Nice try. The fact that I paid $450 for a Bold 9000 means I can crap on RIM all I want. I, like many other BB users, felt duped pretty damn fast and find it hilarious that some fanboys are defending RIM with a straight face. Of course, when I bought the Bold, the only competition was the iPhone 3GS. But the fact that the 3GS is still competitive today and the Bold 9000 is not - speaks volumes about RIM's lack of foresight. Truly pathetic.

And yes, you went through my posts so you've already read my constructive criticism of RIM. It only seems subjective to you because you're a fanboy. It seems to tick BB fans off when I actually destroy their "BBs are for security, business, and email" arguments - arguments that are the biggest crock. I just call it like it really is. I'm not a fanboy - I'm just knowledgeable enough to know a superior platform when I see one.

Wow, the Bold 9650.
    Bla bla bla bla bla. I didn't go through your posts, get over yourself, jeez, I couldn't help but read some of your self serving drivel - I certainly didn't seek it out on purpose. I don't like being called names, it's pretty simple. you can read as many of my posts as you'd like and you'd see I don't fawn over my electronic device or say I'm addicted or any such thing., I spend my time here helping people and trying to be constructive member of the CrackBerry community. What have you contributed beside acrimony and name calling. Who cares what you spent or what you think? I'll lower myself this one time to say you're a bore. Why don't you go away? Maybe to someplace you are wanted.

Last edited by exelant; 06-27-10 at 11:48 PM.
    06-27-10 11:46 PM

Wow, the Bold 9650.
    Not to Nitpick but the iphone3G not the 3GS is the competitor to the Bold the 3GS was released a year later.

and The Bold is still a competitive phone in it's market place as a PHONE and EMAIL device, if one does not surf the net and uses the phone purely for work, the Bold is fantastic, as many customers/colleagues who have recently upgraded to it thanks to Bell Canada's HSPA network, they love the phone, and it does everything they want.
    They actually prefer it over my far newer tour with my changes and extra apps because "oh thats getting to complicated"

The BB is not your phone, clearly you lacked information when you purchased it, I guess I am a fan boy for BB, I have tried the apple platform, and can't stand it, I am interested in Driod, but unfortunately not a single driod phone can touch my physical keyboard of my BB, and Battery life is still tops for me.

and saying you are not a fanboy is correct, you my friend boarder on what the internet affectionately calls a troll
    06-27-10 11:50 PM
    So I finally took a break from playing simcity on my iTouch that I got yesterday, and I noticed that under passcode lock there's an option to have it erase all the data after 10 failed tries. So take that one off my list

06-28-10 12:53 AM
    and saying you are not a fanboy is correct, you my friend boarder on what the internet affectionately calls a troll
    Actually, constantly making things up about why BB's are better (security for consumers, BB's are pure business machines - that kind of crock) make a lot of BB fans trolls. It's funny when I spout the truth, it puts me as borderline troll. Sure.
    06-28-10 01:26 AM
    Many of you think BB are only good for eMail and BBM only. I don't look at it that way because a BB means more to me. It does all the things I need it to do. I use my phone for 95% personal and 5% work related.

My bb calendar is proactive with work schedules, bdays, vacations, meetings, gym training and courses and I love the fact that I can enter all these events real fast with a physical keyboard. I have 16GB of media content filled with music, videos and pics and very satisfied with the consumer functionality of my phone.

Sure I can pick up an iPhone or switch to an Android at anytime but they don't fulfil my needs. Most iPhone features that I would use is all already on my BB. I don't play games and don't give a crap about flashy color icons. I just want my phone to work the way I want it to be and the BB platform is by far the only one that meets my need.

A BB fits my lifestyle perfectly but it doesn't necessary will for you. If you don't like your phone then go get yourself another one instead of going around forums and b!tch about it and spreading your negative attitude around other people. No one is holding a gun to your head telling you to get a Blackberry.

Who the F cares about the success or failure of the iPhone. Unless you have shares in the company then don't go around and try to convert people to use something they don't like want to. You need to get a life and not worry about the success or failure of other companies that you don't have any relations to.
    06-28-10 03:38 AM
    Many of you think BB are only good for eMail and BBM only. I don't look at it that way because a BB means more to me. It does all the things I need it to do. I use my phone for 95% personal and 5% work related.

My bb calendar is proactive with work schedules, bdays, vacations, meetings, gym training and courses and I love the fact that I can enter all these events real fast with a physical keyboard. I have 16GB of media content filled with music, videos and pics and very satisfied with the consumer functionality of my phone.

Sure I can pick up an iPhone or switch to an Android at anytime but they don't fulfil my needs. Most iPhone features that I would use is all already on my BB. I don't play games and don't give a crap about flashy color icons. I just want my phone to work the way I want it to be and the BB platform is by far the only one that meets my need.

A BB fits my lifestyle perfectly but it doesn't necessary will for you. If you don't like your phone then go get yourself another one instead of going around forums and b!tch about it and spreading your negative attitude around other people. No one is holding a gun to your head telling you to get a Blackberry.

Who the F cares about the success or failure of the iPhone. Unless you have shares in the company then don't go around and try to convert people to use something they don't like want to. You need to get a life and not worry about the success or failure of other companies that you don't have any relations to.
    If you choose to use a bb that is fine, that is your choice. However, if your needs are the reasons that you gave, other platforms do these things just as well (minus the physical keyboard). So to say that bb is the only one that can fulfill your needs is pure fanboyism.
    06-28-10 03:57 AM
    IPhone is nice but it doesn't have universal spell check. Spell Check wasn't a feature in Word To Go. No AutoText. No voice navigation app. No physical keyboard, because some consumers refuse to go all touch screen. No Mass Storage Mode. Inability to transfer or download any file type to your phone. I like being able to save a PC type file to my phone, so when someone on a PC needs that file I can quickly send it to them.
    Android is nice but it doesn't have universal copy and paste, and spell check. No copy and paste in the GMail application, no spell check in Words To Go. I haven't found an Android phone that has a physical keyboard as good as BlackBerry. Push Email is great for GMail accounts, but not true push for others. There are still many consumers out there that do not wish to change their Email service. No AutoText.
    BlackBerry has the ability to forward calendar invites and contacts to other BlackBerry users. BBM. Universal copy and paste, as well as spell check. Great battery life. Awesome physical keyboard. AutoText, one of the best features I like about my phone.

06-28-10 04:18 AM
    I didn't read anything but the original post so here goes.

First off, these aren't just email phones from a corporate standpoint, that's not the purpose of BES. So on that point, RIM can approach a large company and say "hey, we're the only game in town" and they would be 100% correct. No one even comes close to BES in the world.

As for the rest lest's face it, there is nothing out there that's truly innovative anymore. Front facing camera? That's been around forever in other countries. Touch screens have been around a long time now and as for applications, that's in the hands of 3rd party developers so they're the ones you have to be after if you want an application to do something you like.

Phones just come down to a personal choice these days and that's about all there is to it.

06-28-10 04:30 AM
    I didn't read anything but the original post so here goes.

First off, these aren't just email phones from a corporate standpoint, that's not the purpose of BES. So on that point, RIM can approach a large company and say "hey, we're the only game in town" and they would be 100% correct. No one even comes close to BES in the world.

As for the rest lest's face it, there is nothing out there that's truly innovative anymore. Front facing camera? That's been around forever in other countries. Touch screens have been around a long time now and as for applications, that's in the hands of 3rd party developers so they're the ones you have to be after if you want an application to do something you like.

Phones just come down to a personal choice these days and that's about all there is to it.

I laugh when people argue the bes features from the user point of view and what it has to offer to the user compared to other platforms. bes is not for the user, is for the peace of mind of corporations with many many employees, which need to be controlled and protected, sometimes from themselves. The mistake of one employee can bring a whole company down these days.

Bes is big brother at its best. If you owned a huge company would you want to have control on all your communications or not?

06-28-10 05:29 AM
    Threads like this pop up all the time. I have one thing to say. Who cares? BB is not for everyone. If you want a fragile toy with poor battery life, get one of those. If you want a workhorse with great battery life, that gets the job done, get a BB.
    I'm with you on that one 100%. Blackberrys are for the grown and sexy!

06-28-10 05:31 AM
190 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD