I searched the site and didn't find anything about this. If I'm wrong please direct me to the thread.

Are there any magnets in my phone that would demagnatize my credit cards?

Thanks
    10-02-09 03:07 PM
    The jury is out on that, but take a look at: BlackBerry Erase Magnetic Card | Visit BlackberryChick.com.
    10-02-09 03:42 PM
    I personally don't think they're strong enough. And I'm not even sure if there's a magnet in the phone, just a sensor that picks up the magnets in a holster.

I could be wrong but all my cards still work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 11:33 PM
    There is a magnet in the phone (put a paperclip to the back and it will stay there), but I don't think it's strong enough to erase a credit card. I've carried my Pearl in my pocket next to my wallet for over a year now, and it has not affected any of my cards.

10-03-09 02:54 PM
    on the back of the device there is a magnet, for the blackberry holster when you slide the device into it, when the magnet in the phone touches the one on the belt holster the device goes into stand by cause of it
    10-03-09 06:46 PM
    No. Not strong enough. Seems I've answered this one before......

10-03-09 07:01 PM
    My 8130 has already deactivated a hotel room keycard while I was on vacation. which is similar to a credit card. Dunno if that helps at all but it did need to be reprogrammed by the front desk

10-03-09 08:37 PM
    I don't think its strong enough to go through a wallet or anything. I had my pearl sitting right on the keycard, darn drunk nights at the beach

10-03-09 08:39 PM
    There is a magnet in the speaker, in the phone. The other magnet is in the case, and that activates a switch that triggers sleep mode and in-holster settings.

Having seen tests, the speaker magnet shouldn't erase magnetic strips. But stranger things have happened.

10-03-09 10:15 PM
    ^^^like the fact that the forum added the "Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com " twice to the bottom of your post? lol.
    10-03-09 11:46 PM
    My 8130 has already deactivated a hotel room keycard while I was on vacation. which is similar to a credit card. Dunno if that helps at all but it did need to be reprogrammed by the front desk
    I also had a hotel room keycard deactivated. Of course, they programmed another one. When I asked them about the reason, the service assocaite stated that the phone and keycard together might have caused it. Yes, they were in my package together. Was that really the reason? Possible, but I don't know.
    10-03-09 11:58 PM
    The Mythbusters tested trying to erase a credit card using a magnet and found you actually need a pretty strong one to mess it up.

10-04-09 12:35 AM
    I have seend people keep there ID and CC in the holster with the phone with a pos and neg pull it will erase a CC! and as far as a hotel key real quick this will happen because the data stored on the Hotel Key is more weak and these key cards are programed and re programed.....

10-04-09 05:52 AM
    Thanks guys!!!
    10-05-09 08:57 AM
    I guess most of you didn't read article that was linked back in post #2, but basically:
    Cards that are designed to be frequently re-programed and/or replaced like hotel keys and gift cards are very poorly made, and can be wiped very easily. BlackBerries CAN and WILL do it.
    Durable cards like credit and bank cards are made to be MUCH more durable, and WILL NOT be easily erased by a BlackBerry or anything else short of a 1000 Gauss magnet.

Hotel key/gift card BAD
    Credit/Bank card FINE.
    10-05-09 10:11 AM
    I erased a game card from dave and busters by putting it in the same pocketas my holstered 8130
    10-05-09 12:11 PM
    Yup... cheap disposable cards will do that...
    10-05-09 12:22 PM
    I stayed in a hotel for a week with my bold and a soft skin. Went to the pool with then on the skin, right next to the battery door. Did that numerous times, never had a problem. No problem with the cc, drivers license, or room key.

10-05-09 02:08 PM
    Was it a mag stripe hotel key or a newer RFID key?
    10-05-09 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD