How's this for a logical naming system:

X___= Generation (eg: 9xxx devices)
    _X__= Model (eg: Curve x3xx, Pearl x1xx)
    __X_= Version (eg: xx0x for first gen, xx1x for refresh)
    ___X= Variants (eg: xxx0 for HSPA/AT&T, xxx1 for HSPA/T-Mobile, xxx3 for CDMA/Verizon)

And for model names:

Bold x9xx: Large half-touch with keyboard, Bold 9900 style
    Torch x8xx: full touch with slide-out keyboard, Torch 9800 style
    Tour x7xx: smaller half-touch with keyboard, Bold 9790 style
    _____ x6xx: high end full touch (no keyboard), Torch 9860 style
    Storm x5xx: cheaper full touch (no keyboard), Curve 9380 style
    Curve x3xx: cheaper no touch with keyboard, 9360 style
    Pearl x1xx: cheaper no touch with SureType or T9, 9100 style

Variant names:
    xxx0: HSPA compatible with AT&T
    xxx1: HSPA compatible with T-Mobile
    xxx3: CDMA, like Verizon or Sprint

01-02-12 08:31 PM
    Way too easy and makes too much sense.

But it does allow for enough expansion, which is what I think matters the most, as the current system is indeed running out, but also because they assigned some numbers randomly, now it's starting to make less sense.

You'd need to add an extra letter to denote non-camera phones and an extra i for iDEN models (if they do end up making another one after the 8350i).

With the Curves they could have saved a whole lot of numbers by having an 8521/8522 instead of 8520/30, or even better, 8411 and 8412, then make the 3G 8421/22.

But yes, something they should strongly think about as they start refreshing phones. In the meantime, we can speculate (much like people have been speculating what will happen once Boeing goes past the 797).
    01-02-12 09:15 PM
    but wont be how RIM does it I said something similar though not as well laid out in the thread we discussed the naming of the Bold/Curve in the Rumored device section (where I suspect this will be moved to)

RIM has exhausted the 4 Digit number scheme, they will either need to adopt the 5 digit number scheme, Or they will need to create an alpha numeric scheme.
    01-02-12 10:06 PM
    You'd need to add an extra letter to denote non-camera phones and an extra i for iDEN models (if they do end up making another one after the 8350i
    I don't think so... The iDEN device can be xxx7 or something, and the non-camera can be xxx6 for Verizon and xxx4 for AT&T.

The xxx2 is unallocated, because I'm trying to use as much of RIM's exsisting number system as possible (eg: a 0 designates HSPA and a 3 designated CDMA)

What's nice is that the number is in order of importance. In most cases you can skip the final number, especially when comparing between carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 10:13 PM
    I don't see anything wrong with going with "A" as a generation name (example: an A700 would be the first iteration of the next gen baby Bold (now called Tour) on HSPA.

And it still rolls off of the tongue fine (Ay-tee seven hundred.

01-02-12 10:16 PM
    I see the Problem with adopting the Alpha 3 Digit number scheme currently because Nokia uses said scheme, and you risk as much confusion as BBX vs BBx risked.

Would be a bad move politically for them to adopt the same convention as Nokia currently is using. Though they could be foolish again
    01-02-12 10:21 PM
    I'm just thinking that going any longer would be bad, as it becomes confusing and some combinations very hard to remember (Even now. I get people thinking I have a Tour when I say I have a 9360)
    01-02-12 10:27 PM
    They need to move to Branding

Ideally the First QNX devices will start with a new Brand name, if it is going to RUN the Qualcomm MSM8960 and similar then the branding of devices will be more universal, like Samsung is able to do with the Galaxy having a single letter to denote differences. Gives RIM 26 variations on a Brand name, and then sequential advancement like Apple does.
    01-02-12 10:34 PM
    Maybe. However, both the Galaxy and iPhone line essently describes a single modle that is refreshed constantly.

What RIM could do is have each model name a brand of it's own. That way you can somewhat use my original table, but skip the generation number and us the model name instead of the number. The Variant number can also be skipped, unless noteworthy.

Curve: first Curve of new naming scheme, standard model.
    Bold b: first Bold of new naming, Buisness version (no camera)
    Torch 2: second Torch of new ns, standard version.
    Pearl 3t: third Pearl of nns, with T9 keyboard
    Tour 2c: second Tour onns, CDMA variant.
    Storm 2a: 2nd Storm onns, AWS bands (T-mobile)

01-02-12 11:37 PM
    I don't think so... The iDEN device can be xxx7 or something,
    Well you certainly could, but portable iDEN devices usually have the i (exception being the Moto R750/765), I feel like that would be the one good exception.
    01-03-12 12:03 AM
    Based on the current line of thinking, a new all touch high end QNX phone would be called a Bold. Then they would be left with a high end tier (Bold) mid range consumer tier (torch) and entry level (Curve). The new "Be Bold" slogan would set them up quite nicely for the launch of an all touch QNX Bold later in the year. Does the Bold name do the new QNX OS justice, or should they start a whole new brand name?
    01-04-12 01:16 AM
    I think it suits it nicely. The thing is: I think the flagship may be a high end full touch, which doesn't have a name yet (due to the Storm's reception, that name should be given to the low end full touches; like the Curve 9380's descendants.
    01-04-12 01:34 PM