I was unhappy about the outage, and really unhappy about the lack of information coming out of RIM, but I would really like to say a huge 'thank you' to all the staff at RIM who worked for 3 solid days to fix the problem.

Morale must be a bit low at the moment, and I just wanted to show my appreciation. And I really like my Playbook too.
    10-13-11 12:58 PM
    Me too! Must have been some employees losing sleep this week. Good on ya!
    10-13-11 12:59 PM
    Yes, well done the highly skilled employees who got the servoce back up again BUT, I hope that several management heads will roll because of this.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    10-13-11 01:00 PM
    It's about time someone started a thread like this.

The outage was massive (thankfully I wasn't affected) and it was probably caused by someone screwing up something, but there were a lot of people stepping up and putting in overtime to fix the problem.

While you're at it send a thanks out to their families too. I'm sure it was hard on them too.

When you think about it, it took only three days to fix a global break down. Good job guys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 02:28 PM
    I'm afraid I can't dissagree more.

A service that millions of users globaly pay for was down for mutliple days, loosing businesses money, I'd expect nothing less than people working 24/7 to resolve the issues that caused this.

Directors of the business I work for could not respond to e-mails when out of the office, causing the business to loose money, and therefore profitability to go down and staff bonuses to be ultimately reduced. I could do nothing to remedy this, it was out of my hands, and RIM's silence was deafening.

I'll still be sticking with RIM due to their FIPS and CC EAL4+ certification, but right now this is pretty much the only thing in their favour.
    10-13-11 02:54 PM
    I agree with the OP. Thank-You RIM employees. To many times the people that actually do the work go unrecognized. Once again Thanks and GOOD job.
    10-13-11 04:14 PM
    Good thread!!! Thanks to all the people who got things running again, in spite of the 2 numb-nutz!

10-13-11 04:20 PM
    Me too! Must have been some employees losing sleep this week. Good on ya!
    Maybe it would have been repaired sooner if RIM didn't layoff all those employees this past year. Typical bug business, blame the lowly or hourly employees and keep the overpriced ceo and management that runs RIM into the ground.

How about RIM personally send all their customers a refund for their outage? They always blame their defective hardware phones on the carriers. This wasn't a carrier issue, this was RIM's fault and of course they won't do anything proactive about it, that is what a good business does and RIM certainly is not that.
    10-13-11 04:24 PM
    How about RIM personally send all their customers a refund for their outage?
    You do realize of course that no one holding a BB is a RIM customer? You are and always will be your carriers customer. Do you pay RIM directly for the BIS usage? No you pay your carrier. You may hold one of RIM's devices but it's your carrier that you pay for service.

I'm not saying this isn't RIM's fault, all I'm saying is even if RIM were to give its "customers"(and I use the term loosely) any kickbacks on their BIS plans, this would only go as far as your carrier, and they sure as h*ll aren't giving any one of us a break on our bills for service being down for a couple days.

Its like this, your driving cross country and all of a sudden your car breaks down in the middle of no where. Unfortunately your in an area that has no cell service and you can't call for help(a major inconvenience), does this mean your carrier should give you a break on your bill because they didn't have coverage in the area you were in? Same thing with BIS being down(a major inconvenience) for RIM.

All in all, Thank you RIM employees for getting your service back up and running for the millions of (whiners and those that want something for nothing)people you have holding your devices.
    10-13-11 05:02 PM
    Our company did not experience any loss of emails during the general outages over the last couple of days

Is it true that this did not affect those that are on BES?
    10-13-11 05:16 PM
    I'm afraid I can't dissagree more.

A service that millions of users globaly pay for was down for mutliple days, loosing businesses money, I'd expect nothing less than people working 24/7 to resolve the issues that caused this.

Directors of the business I work for could not respond to e-mails when out of the office, causing the business to loose money, and therefore profitability to go down and staff bonuses to be ultimately reduced. I could do nothing to remedy this, it was out of my hands, and RIM's silence was deafening.

I'll still be sticking with RIM due to their FIPS and CC EAL4+ certification, but right now this is pretty much the only thing in their favour.
    Be quiet fatty. :P

Obviously they caused a lot of companies to lose money. But they didn't just sit on their hands when this happened. For servers sending info to 30 million devices, I wouldn't say a 99.2 percent uptime is that bad(365-4)/365.
    I mean sure in an ideal world this wouldn't happen. But stuff happens and we just have to deal with it.

And yes. There was definitely something you could have done. Lock-ins are fun!

(First and last statements are obviously jokes and not to be taken seriously)
    10-13-11 05:28 PM
    I read just a short time ago and in the video and annoucement RIm made apologizing for the outage it was due to a faulty switch that a 3rd part company manufactured so i would imagine Rim would go after them to recoup any loss of revenue and agravation caused Worldwide.
    10-13-11 06:27 PM
    Did you guys see good ol' Mike on YouTube?

If the CEO coming down to talk to the user base does not show some respect and care, I don't know what does...
    10-13-11 08:22 PM
  14. T
    Great topic! Thanks RIM employees! The BlackBerry platform is still the best!
    10-13-11 08:26 PM
    You do realize of course that no one holding a BB is a RIM customer? You are and always will be your carriers customer. Do you pay RIM directly for the BIS usage? No you pay your carrier. You may hold one of RIM's devices but it's your carrier that you pay for service.

I'm not saying this isn't RIM's fault, all I'm saying is even if RIM were to give its "customers"(and I use the term loosely) any kickbacks on their BIS plans, this would only go as far as your carrier, and they sure as h*ll aren't giving any one of us a break on our bills for service being down for a couple days.

Its like this, your driving cross country and all of a sudden your car breaks down in the middle of no where. Unfortunately your in an area that has no cell service and you can't call for help(a major inconvenience), does this mean your carrier should give you a break on your bill because they didn't have coverage in the area you were in? Same thing with BIS being down(a major inconvenience) for RIM.

All in all, Thank you RIM employees for getting your service back up and running for the millions of (whiners and those that want something for nothing)people you have holding your devices.
    Is that the best you have? Another guy trying to use twisted logic to explain why a company offers terrible service. So by your logic, what do RIMM shareholders earn as revenue? since your logic states that we are only the carriers' customer. Maybe big red should come out and tell their customers of RIM's fault here. VZ knows how to run a business and they won't blame the BIS. By me paying my carrier, I am paying VZ and RIM. RIM wouldn't be getting revenue for my account if I were to get smart and use an android or apple.
    Anyone who buys a blackberry product is a RIM customer. You are buying their product and they are getting credit for the sale. Who are you going to blame for the flop in the playbook? Are playbook owners not customers of RIM. Your logic would state that they are customers of Staples, Best Buy, etc.
    You are correct that they sure as **** won't give anyone a break, another reason why they are losing customers so fast. If you were to have a problem with VZ's service, they would credit you, RIM would not. Not having srvice in an area where your car breaks down has nothing to do with this fault on RIM's end. This isn't a carrier issue.
    Thanks for nothing RIM, while the faithful owners dwindle away holding your old technology. Fanboys love their outage. You better go run out and buy all your branded Blackberry accessories.
    Last edited by mustangv8; 10-14-11 at 12:16 AM.
    10-13-11 08:54 PM
    Jesus Mustang, get your panties in a wad much? All you do is ***** and moan man. Least you are not alone, but you speak it loud and clear. .....not happy move on, it really is that simple.

10-13-11 09:05 PM
    Geez, some people need to lay off the coffee!

10-13-11 09:07 PM
    Despite this massive outage that spanned across the world, millions of BBM & e-mail users where going through a serious inconvenience, business people definitely felt this one I am sure.
    I also defended this company when other people said RIM is this and that, I stood up, and told em where to go, not on this site, but from where I am from...had a few arguments with some people.

I would like to thank all those highly skilled employees who worked around trhe clock 24/7& possibly sacrificed their family & friends time to bring back BBM service that millions of people rely on every single day, thank you very much

In addition, in a world of business, and corporate admittance to their fault of why or how this could even happen, this person, or people who are responsible, should definitely give it some very serious thought if they really deserve to stay on with RIM or not, and only this/these people can answer this question or not.
    Guatiao likes this.
    10-13-11 09:35 PM
    Jesus Mustang, get your panties in a wad much? All you do is ***** and moan man. Least you are not alone, but you speak it loud and clear. .....not happy move on, it really is that simple.

Funny how so many fanboys are happy with their outage. Backwards thinking, why not go an thank your electrical company when you are a few days without power and nobody tells you anything. many of us will be moving on, just like the fans of palm back in their day.
    10-14-11 12:12 AM
    Funny how so many fanboys are happy with their outage. Backwards thinking, why not go an thank your electrical company when you are a few days without power and nobody tells you anything. many of us will be moving on, just like the fans of palm back in their day.
    You need to read the original post. Nobody is thanking RIM for the outage.

The thanks are going to the people who worked hard to fix the problem after it happened. I'll bet very few, if any of them were directly responsible for causing the trouble but it was their job to fix it and they did.

Just like when the power goes out. The lineman out there in bucket truck working on getting your power back on didn't cause it to go off but I'll bet your glad that he is there working to get it back for you.

10-14-11 09:24 AM
    There is no perfect "anything" and the only guarantee anybody gets is sh*t happens. Deal with it or yes, please do move on.

10-14-11 09:49 AM
    Why are u guys thanking them ?
    That's their job no need to thank them

10-14-11 03:33 PM
    Why are u guys thanking them ?
    That's their job no need to thank them
    Seriously?
    10-14-11 07:39 PM
    Truly, thanks to all RIM employees. they put up with a lot. guilty by proxy in so many analyst and news org stories. Simply not true. pure fiction. I know as do they, they're made up of the best in the world. Riding on top is not the end game, getting there again and again is far more fulfilling.
    10-14-11 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD