So, i just bought a new 9900 and was loving it. Then i signed up for the blackberry BETA zone and downloaded the BBM Beta thinking hey i love blackberry i love my playbook and my new bold so why not. After installing and selecting the reboot option my phone continued rebooting and then put up a white screen with a "JVM Error 517"

My 1 day old phone no longer working.

Since im with Telus and they figure nobody has tech problems after 8 in the evening i call blackberry tech support and tell them the issue..... you would think they would send your call to tech right? Not unless you pay them $50. Even if the whole reason im having the problem is helping them out with their Beta testing it costs me the consumer in the end.

I will still stick with Blackberry but im a die hard fan. If i was a new consumer id say screw this and jump ship like everyone else is.

Good job keeping your customers happy Blackberry, Good job.
    10-05-11 01:03 AM
    you downloaded a beta program. RIM warns you that might happen before they let you download it.
    Just reload your OS if its that bad, and don't install the beta BBM

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    trucky and hondateg91 like this.
    10-05-11 01:09 AM
    im pretty sure its a device problem because in beta zone i ran this problem free. Weird contact RIM directly
    10-05-11 01:10 AM
    im totally fine with there being some bugs, thats not an issue. What im not fine with is them making me pay $50 to make my phone work again afterwards
    10-05-11 01:11 AM
    You could've gotten an answer on how to fox out for free here in probably half the time. Unless of course you'd like to pay me I'll only charge $25.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    10-05-11 01:15 AM
    i tried to update the software through desktop manager, about halfway through when it was at install : JVM.... etc the white screen on the phone showed an Error 507 and stopped updating. So now im trying again. grrr
    10-05-11 01:32 AM
    Your relationship is with your carrier, not with RIM
    10-05-11 01:33 AM
    as much as i HATE Telus, i find it hard to see why me downloading blackberrys own software causing my phone not to work is in any way their issue more then it is RIM's.
    10-05-11 01:38 AM
    Who did you pay your money to? RIM sold the phones to the carrier and the carrier sold it AND service to you.

If you have trouble with your new car, would you call the dealer where you bought it or the company who made it?

If your internet is having trouble, do you call your ISP or the modem manufacturer?

I understand your frustration, but that's just how it works.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 10-05-11 at 01:45 AM.
    10-05-11 01:40 AM
    When you call telus..... and have an issue with your blackberry phone, they in turn forward your call on to blackberry and the $50 fee is paid for by the carrier. So instead of calling my carrier which is closed... i called directly to RIM which i would have been sent to anyways, and instead of going "oh ok since our software made your phone un-usable we will forward you through" they pretty much gave me the finger and said no dice unless i pay up.
    10-05-11 01:44 AM
    RIM does warn you when you install stuff from BetaZone to backup all your data cause they don't know what would happen...if you want to keep your device safe, don't use BetaZone...
    10-05-11 01:47 AM
    if i have an issue with my car..... i call the dealer, because they service it at the dealership. Since telus uses blackberry tech support anyways all i was doing is skipping a step. Totally different.
    10-05-11 01:47 AM
    That's horrible customer service, with their current position you figured they would be glad to help anyone trying to help them become a better company.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    10-05-11 01:55 AM
    thats exactly what i figured brandon. thats the point im making. I finally got it working took a few times reloading the software. All i was saying is exactly what brandon said.
    10-05-11 02:06 AM
    You do not need tech support. Download desktop manager fron RIM, get the latest official OS from your carrier (linked from RIM's support site), and reinstall the OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-05-11 02:09 AM
    Any time anyone uses anything in any beta zone... it is generally assumed that you are willing to go through some grief sometimes, you understand the device that you are using, you fully accept the terms of the beta being tested, you know how to be responsible for yourself if something crashes, and that you actually read all that fine print that most people see how fast they can scroll through so they can be the first with a new version. Most of the time things go well and even the casual user can slide through. Occasionally there are issues and things don't go so well. Hello... that's why it's called BETA. Almost always there is a forum setup specifically for the beta users to report bugs, talk about issues and try to help improve the product so that it then become a public release. Try using the resources provided, hike up your drawers and dive in again. I guarantee you will learn more than you ever thought you could by doing so.
    10-05-11 06:16 AM
    While I agree about beta software and taking your chances. What I don't agree with is RIM wanting to charge you for any kind of support for you supporting them by buying their product even when beta software isn't involved.

In the same respect I know that they probably get many user error issues also but that should be determined during the call and when that is determined then they should inform you of the charge. When it is a device issue there should be no charge in warranty period.
    10-05-11 06:51 AM
    thats exactly what i figured brandon. thats the point im making. I finally got it working took a few times reloading the software. All i was saying is exactly what brandon said.
    Sorry but you maybe making a point but IMO take this as a life lesson. If you are warned take it seriously.
    Often times nothing traumatic happens with Beta software but there is alway the risk.

Its Beta software...you found a bug report it ... in the Betazone
    Last edited by dentynefire; 10-05-11 at 07:19 AM.
    10-05-11 07:11 AM
    While I agree about beta software and taking your chances. What I don't agree with is RIM wanting to charge you for any kind of support for you supporting them by buying their product even when beta software isn't involved.

In the same respect I know that they probably get many user error issues also but that should be determined during the call and when that is determined then they should inform you of the charge. When it is a device issue there should be no charge in warranty period.
    Betazone has a discussion board. He's called BB support I think they should help but there is nothing to suggest you get phone support in the Betazone.

People that use beta software should know things like how to reload the OS...its expected.
    10-05-11 07:18 AM
    Your own mistake. Mine did that when installing this one game... I reloaded the OS and all was back to normal, it's simply missing a few COD's that accidentally got removed/corrupted by the beta app. Things happen, but going here would be a FIRST before calling your carrier's tech support. TELUS did something like that to me, but it was to do with a cracked screen, telling customers to go to a repair shop instead? It voided my warranty. I even had the $150 in cash to PAY for the repairs and I insisted multiple times. She got fired the same day once I told the manager, she had apparently refused to let 4 of the customers pay for the repairs if it wasn't covered under warranty (I was in the store the entire time).

Crackberry offers free community support. RIM isn't in charge and you do get charged if you do call them instead. They even told you. TELUS shouldn't have directed you to their line. next time, call before 8 or 9pm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 02:56 PM
    If the OP wants to go for beta testing despite all the warnings, then its on the OP to know how to recover the phone as well.
    Beta versions by their very defination means taking risks.
    The OP would have found the solution to his problems by doing a basic search on Crackberry.
    If you want to load beta versions then be ready to spend some time learning how to wipe your device and reload software. Calling up basic customer care would not help you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-05-11 03:30 PM
    Beta testing should come with a child proof cap! j/k

Someone here probably could of bailed you out of that mess.

Tim
    10-05-11 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD