On Thursday I got a suspicious email sent to my AOL. It was a confirmation that my flight ticket was purchased to Indianapolis on monday. Total charge 315.00. I thought who hacked my bank account. So I opened it. I could not view any of the files on my BlackBerry. I then logged in to AOL on my work PC. Opened the eticket file.....the PC was toast. Virus ruined the hard drive. RIM/BlackBerry have gotten some bad press as of late. That being said. The email security of BlackBerry is priceless. Thank you BlackBerry.
    stevepar likes this.
    12-17-11 06:37 PM
    Yes, the security is always important.
    Interesting experience...
    12-17-11 07:58 PM
    i am so worried about opening emails on my computer from addresses i am not familiar with...BB is certainly a life saver for these situations...
    12-17-11 08:01 PM
    sucks about your computer
    I also love the security so much. I can open any email
    and not have to worry about a virus.
    12-17-11 08:33 PM
    Too bad for your pc and even updated antivirus may not have caught it.

A good rule, did you purchase a ticket? If not why open it or click on the link? I constantly get emails about my UPS shipment. I send them to spam because I didn't order anything I'm expecting from UPS and if I did they wouldn't send me an email about it.
    12-17-11 10:26 PM
    all mobile platforms (BBOS, Tablet OS, iOS android etc) are pretty much immune to "viruses" made for pcs. its not really email security of a BB.
    Caymancroc, avt123 and 13echo4 like this.
    12-17-11 10:31 PM
    all mobile platforms (BBOS, Tablet OS, iOS android etc) are pretty much immune to "viruses" made for pcs. its not really email security of a BB.
    I'm glad you brought this up. As true as it is. Its what makes getting email on smart phones worth wild. Well besides not having to go to a pc to check your mail.
    12-18-11 12:45 AM
    Interesting blurb on malware found in Android Apps:

AOL.com Video - 'Smart' Malware and Other Tech News
    12-18-11 02:06 AM
    Geinimi, fakeplayer, and zeus are just some of the trojans that where coded for the android os. However they didn't get installed by opening email. They where bound to an app or game.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 12-18-11 at 03:29 AM.
    12-18-11 03:12 AM
    right, eventually you will find viruses and such made for mobile platforms. Right now its mostly malicious games/apps that crap is spread thru.
    Last edited by howarmat; 12-18-11 at 11:47 AM.
    12-18-11 10:01 AM
    right, eventually you will find viruses and such made for mobile platforms. Right not its mostly malicious games/apps that crap is spread thru.
    The email subject said:American Airlines,flight confirmation
    12-18-11 11:34 AM
    The virus wasn't coded for the BlackBerry. Don't feel bad I was hit earlier this year. I got an email looking to be from the IRS saying my file couldn't be processed. I was worming my cattle at the time. So when I tried opening the attached .pdf I didn't think anything of it. Had I been on my game I would have thought it odd cause the BlackBerry will open a .pdf through email. So I go in my office and open the .pdf on my laptop. Big mistake. I got hit with a virus bound to a fake malware remover. It was calling itself vista malware remover or such. That's when I got tipped off cause I had not see it before on my system and knew to check it. Its not hard to remove the viruses can take a lot of time though.
    This is one reason why there isn't forty different kinds of 1 app for blackberrys. Rim keeps strick tap on the dev. Certificates. Don't think a virus can't be written to infect a Blackberry. It wouldbe oh so easy to make a little stupid utility app with the soft reset command to send you into a endless reboot loop. Zeus was coded also for the blackberry. I can't remember which os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-11 01:36 PM
    i will keep my blackberry,until the new bb 10 is out the **** with ios ,and android there just multimedia devices with very little security,and the backing of the media.
    12-18-11 01:38 PM
    Thank you, BlackBerry for not baking Carrier IQ into the OS of my handset and for making Carrier IQ and other spyware possible to detect and delete easily if inadvertently installed by a user. Thank you for equipping my BlackBerry with AES encryption that cannot be cracked without actual knowledge of my password even when connected to a CelleBrite device. Other devices' passwords can be easily circumvented by police and others using CelleBrite devices:

"A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

'Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags,' a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. 'The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps.'"

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

Thank you, BlackBerry, for focusing on security and communication.
    12-18-11 01:57 PM
    The virus wasn't designed for mobile operating systems, that was the other posters point. He was simply pointing out that if you opened the email on any other mobile operating system as well you would have been safe (since the virus was designed for your PC).
    12-18-11 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD