View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    I used to talk on the phone while driving but I got in 2 wrecks in the first 3 months or so, totalled my dream car, but now I txt only when stopped or pulled over in parking lots. Never even talk on the phone while driving, I just can't pay attention to both things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 12:00 AM
    As much as I hate to see the red light left to blink, I don't text/read while driving. I may check messages while at a stop light, but I always opt for safety first.

I got into the habit of ignoring the red light while driving by being on my motorcycle. Both my Jeep and motorcycle have cradles attached for my BB. There is no way I would try to read or text while riding the bike.

On a side note, there was a video on a TV show (I think it was something like "Stupidest drivers" or one of the "Smoking Gun" shows) with a motorcycle rider texting while going down the interstate. He wasn't holding onto his handlebars at all. Instead, he was leaning back over his rear wheel, both hands texting on his cell - freaked me out to see this.

EDIT: .
    Last edited by Xopher; 04-08-09 at 07:30 AM.
    04-08-09 07:26 AM
    If people feel that you should txt while driving, then you should eat while driving, listen to music while driving, or talk to another person in the car while driving. It's not the actual txtn that's the problem, it's the driver attention being diverted.
    04-08-09 09:06 AM
    Sigh... Again, ignorance. You aren't funny and you aren't cute for texting while driving. Read the above story...
    I knew you'd make an appearance here...
    04-08-09 11:41 AM
    Isn't there some kind of voice recognition software we could get for these things that would let us just talk to text.
    vlingo is a good application that works for that..

But I'm pretty good at txting without looking.
    04-08-09 12:03 PM
    vlingo is a good application that works for that..

But I'm pretty good at txting without looking.
    I've tried to use vLingo while driving.. but I end up spending more time correcting the mistakes...
    04-08-09 12:07 PM
    When I had my Dare it would read the message to me and I could just talk my text into my phone. So that only required listening and talking. So your saying that its not okay to do that? Isn't that like chatting it up with someone else in the car? Pretty sure it is. Its been brought up a lot in this thread that there are a lot of other things that people do in the car that is stupid. So why not discuss those too? I wonder if the people calling texting drivers stupid would be calling people stupid for the other things as well. And anyone that says that they don't do anything that distracts them in the car is full of b.s. because everybody does. If you aren't being distracted while driving then you have no music on, no other person in the car, no navigation, phone is off and put away, no food, no drink (coffee, soda, and so forth), nobody cutting you off taking your attention off of everything else around you, your not speeding, and the list goes on and on and on. So why is everyone up in arms about this? I think its crazy that people think that this is funny because its not. But I also think that its crazy that people are on such a soap box about it too. If you are going to be on a soap box about this subject then you are a hypocrite because you know that you do something that distracts you when you are driving. Whether it be drinking your coffee on the way to work or using your navigation system or changing the radio, there is always something. Its the same as looking back at your kid in the back seat and telling them something or listening to them tell you something. Everyone with kids has done that. If you deny it your so full of crap its not even funny. I don't care who you are, we have all done something that distracts us. So quite jumping all over each other and let people have their freaking opinions without talking down to the other side. I don't jump down a liberals throat because I don't agree with them. That will never get your point across. And it won't with this subject either.
    04-08-09 02:53 PM
    When I had my Dare it would read the message to me and I could just talk my text into my phone. So that only required listening and talking. So your saying that its not okay to do that? Isn't that like chatting it up with someone else in the car? Pretty sure it is. Its been brought up a lot in this thread that there are a lot of other things that people do in the car that is stupid. So why not discuss those too? I wonder if the people calling texting drivers stupid would be calling people stupid for the other things as well. And anyone that says that they don't do anything that distracts them in the car is full of b.s. because everybody does. If you aren't being distracted while driving then you have no music on, no other person in the car, no navigation, phone is off and put away, no food, no drink (coffee, soda, and so forth), nobody cutting you off taking your attention off of everything else around you, your not speeding, and the list goes on and on and on. So why is everyone up in arms about this? I think its crazy that people think that this is funny because its not. But I also think that its crazy that people are on such a soap box about it too. If you are going to be on a soap box about this subject then you are a hypocrite because you know that you do something that distracts you when you are driving. Whether it be drinking your coffee on the way to work or using your navigation system or changing the radio, there is always something. Its the same as looking back at your kid in the back seat and telling them something or listening to them tell you something. Everyone with kids has done that. If you deny it your so full of crap its not even funny. I don't care who you are, we have all done something that distracts us. So quite jumping all over each other and let people have their freaking opinions without talking down to the other side. I don't jump down a liberals throat because I don't agree with them. That will never get your point across. And it won't with this subject either.
    !!!POTD!!!
    04-08-09 03:02 PM
    I can't even drink coffee without spilling it on myself let alone trying to text. I am just not that coordinated.
    04-08-09 03:13 PM
    I will not talk unless I got a bluetooth earpiece or car speaker. and Lord knows I absolutely will not text while driving.
    04-08-09 07:44 PM
    I don't care who you are, we have all done something that distracts us.
    I don't really care who you are either but I'm guesssing you text and drive since you're defending the right to do so. If listening to the radio, drinking soda, or someone talking to you is distracting, then maybe you just shouldn't drive. I feel bad for the people that ride with you cause it sounds lik you're easily distracted and might cause them some harm. When you're listening to thr radio or taking a sip of soda you're not concentrating on those things, you're concentrating on driving. When ur texting one hand is on the phone and ur brain has to concentrate on what you're writing taking that attention from the raod. And if it isn't thinking about what you're writing then obviously you shouldn't be texting. About the kids in the back seat, are they going to outlaw having kids in the car? Fact is that texting leads to more accidents than most if not all other things you have mentioned and it can be easily outlawed.

04-08-09 08:41 PM
    If you text while you drive,You are a moron,Period...At a light is where you "could" text if your not typing a story...I drive for a living and i gotta say that most of you cant drive in the first place ,none the less drive while you text..
    04-08-09 09:46 PM
    i see a lot of people texting while driving i used to do it.. but with everyone doing it not many people are paying attention so i figure ... if i am i have a better chance.
    04-08-09 11:30 PM
    ever seen the movie seven pounds?
    04-08-09 11:39 PM
    I learned how to text one handed without looking, when I get to a red light I do my proof reading.....lol
    04-09-09 12:15 AM
    I talk on the phone while driving but nothing else. At red lights, I will read text or email but not while moving. If I have to write something down, I pull over.
    04-09-09 12:29 AM
    I am definitely guilty of this. I can do it w/out taking my eyes off the road and oddly enough I've never had any near accidents while texting I have however had a few very scary almosts while talking on the phone. Not sure why that is

04-09-09 12:36 AM
    What happened in the movie 7 pounds, 559?
    04-09-09 01:29 AM
    I learned how to text one handed without looking, when I get to a red light I do my proof reading.....lol
    its a lot easier with a pearl.. wouldnt you agree?
    04-09-09 07:37 AM
    Ever since totalling my vehicle 3 years ago due to being distracted by my ipod, I rarely do. Not proud, but lesson learned.
    04-09-09 08:37 AM
    I'll only text if my 12 year old daughters in the car and she can steer while i do it and keep an eye on the road. When she says BRAKE, i still have control!

NOOOOOOOOOO! I dont do that, but saw someone doing it with her friend. She was texting while her friend was steering...scarey.

No, I don't text while driving. I might at a light or i'll use my autotext for sending a short message as a reply.

Gotta love autotext
    04-09-09 08:47 AM
    I do it some times but I try not to. I usually wait for a red light.

Same here, I very rarely do it while driving, only at a red light or in a traffic jam.
    04-09-09 04:44 PM
    I don't really care who you are either but I'm guesssing you text and drive since you're defending the right to do so. If listening to the radio, drinking soda, or someone talking to you is distracting, then maybe you just shouldn't drive. I feel bad for the people that ride with you cause it sounds lik you're easily distracted and might cause them some harm. When you're listening to thr radio or taking a sip of soda you're not concentrating on those things, you're concentrating on driving. When ur texting one hand is on the phone and ur brain has to concentrate on what you're writing taking that attention from the raod. And if it isn't thinking about what you're writing then obviously you shouldn't be texting. About the kids in the back seat, are they going to outlaw having kids in the car? Fact is that texting leads to more accidents than most if not all other things you have mentioned and it can be easily outlawed.

I wasn't defending texting and driving nor did I say it was bad. I actually was pretty even keeled about it. And I think you missed the entire point of my post. I was more or less saying that there are things that distract everybody so to call people idiots and stand on a soap box for just this subject and be okay with everything else is a little odd. I also think that when you are laughing and making fun of it and laughing at the people who feel so strongly about it isn't cool either. And I don't txt and drive I do it when I am pulled over and stopped somewhere now that I have my blackberry. So don't even think that you know me because you know zilch about me. And to say you feel sorry for whoever drives with me. Thats just ignorant. I have not ever had a speeding ticket nor ever been in a car accident. So I would say I am a pretty safe driver. And I drive a lot. Most of those things don't distract me because I don't do a lot of them. I do do some of them. But at least I will admit it. My point of the post was that I thought it was crazy for people to be saying that they never do anything that distracts them and to be chastising other people when they know full well that they do things. Like the lady who said she was a completely safe driver and didn't do anything that distracted her but then in the same post said she messes with here tom tom. That is taking her attention off of the road. Thats pretty hypocritical to me. And for people to make personal attacks, like you did with me and saying I was a bad driver and you felt sorry for every person who is in the car with me, when you don't really know the person is just ridiculous. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people personally attack you when your debating because they don't agree with what you just said. It shows how ignorant that person is. And that they can't back up their side of the argument with facts. They have to belittle the other person.
    04-09-09 06:34 PM
    i do, but i do need to stop though
    04-09-09 06:47 PM
    i do, but i do need to stop though
    For sure man. That is a disaster waiting to happen.
    04-09-09 07:22 PM
576 ... 2021222324
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD