View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, which evaluates date from all recorded transportation accidents, has done numerous studies that show that cell phone use while driving is on par with any other activity that takes your mind away from actually driving, such as eating, playing with the radio, putting on make up, etc. Their studies have also shown that using a cell phone is equally, if not more, dangerous than having a conversation with a passenger in the car and there is no significant safety increase using hands-free versus holding the phone to your ear. Below you will find the NHTSA Policy and FAQs on Cellular Phone Use While Driving. Feel free to check out the NHTSA and the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) if you feel like being an educated driver.
    NHTSA
    NTSB

Policy Statement
    The primary responsibility of the driver is to operate a motor vehicle safely. The task of driving requires full attention and focus. Cell phone use can distract drivers from this task, risking harm to themselves and others. Therefore, the safest course of action is to refrain from using a cell phone while driving. (Read NHTSA's 2006 study on cell phone use here.)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Does cell phone use while driving cause traffic crashes?

A. Research shows that driving while using a cell phone can pose a serious cognitive distraction and degrade driver performance. The data are insufficient to quantify crashes caused by cell phone use specifically, but NHTSA estimates that driver distraction from all sources contributes to 25 percent of all police-reported traffic crashes.

Q. Is it safe to use hands-free (headset, speakerphone, or other device) cell phones while driving?

A. The available research indicates that whether it is a hands-free or hand-held cell phone, the cognitive distraction is significant enough to degrade a driver�s performance. This can cause a driver to miss key visual and audio cues needed to avoid a crash.

Q. In an emergency should I use my cell phone while driving?

A. As a general rule, drivers should make every effort to move to a safe place off of the road before using a cell phone. However, in emergency situations a driver must use their judgment regarding the urgency of the situation and the necessity to use a cell phone while driving.

Q. Is NHTSA conducting further research to better quantify the safety impact of using cell phones while driving?

A. NHTSA is conducting research projects on driver cell phone use and will continue to monitor the research of others on this subject. As we learn more about the impact of cell phone use on driver performance and crash risk, and as wireless technologies evolve and expand, NHTSA will make its findings public.

Q. Is talking on a cell phone any worse than having a conversation with someone in the car?

A. Any activity a driver engages while driving has the potential to distract the driver from the primary task of driving. Some research findings comparing cell phone use to passenger conversations while driving, show each to be equally risky, while others show cell phone use to be more risky. A significant difference between the two is the fact that a passenger can monitor the driving situation along with the driver and pause for, or alert the driver to, potential hazards, whereas a person on the other end of the phone line is unaware of the roadway situation.

Q. What do the studies say about the relative risk of cell phone use when compared to other tasks like eating or drinking?

A. The current research does not provide a definitive answer as to which behavior is riskier. In a controlled study, comparing eating and operating a voice-activated cell phone to continuously operating a CD player, it was found that the CD player operation was more distracting than the other activities. In a test track study conducted by NHTSA, the results showed that manual dialing was about as distracting as grooming/eating, but less distracting than reading or changing CDs. It is also important to keep in mind that some activities are carried out more frequently and for longer periods of time and may result in greater risk.
    07-16-08 03:38 AM
    well, I dont want to get in an argument, especially as I do agree with your opinion, just not your approach. I just let the cops pull them over, as txting or not using a hands free device is a primary offense in WA.
    07-16-08 03:44 AM
    for those of you that think texting while drivin is bad...look at this video that i came arcoss on youtube...

now i think this is just uncalled for
    07-16-08 01:42 PM
    well, I dont want to get in an argument, especially as I do agree with your opinion, just not your approach. I just let the cops pull them over, as txting or not using a hands free device is a primary offense in WA.
    Fair enough. The story I quoted is what really got my blood boiling, because as I stated, I am a parent of a young child and stories like that really hit home for me.

I probably would have been half as harsh with my post if it wasn't for that story.
    07-16-08 03:24 PM
    for those of you that think texting while drivin is bad...look at this video that i came arcoss on youtube...

now i think this is just uncalled for
    Um..... Wow.
    07-16-08 06:46 PM
    I text and drive all the time. Sometimes I drive with my knees when I need to type something really fast!
    07-16-08 07:02 PM
    My wife hates it. I try to play it off like I'm checking the time.....hahah

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 07:31 PM
    I'm actually driving right no....whoops, I just hit a cat

07-16-08 07:35 PM
    I'm actually driving right no....whoops, I just hit a cat

That's hilarious, hope it wasn't my cat!

07-16-08 07:44 PM
    Just wondering who here is guilty of texting and driving at the same time. And if you do, do you do it one handed or two?
    If you do, please be careful.

One of my latest MVC's (motor vehicle collisions), one guy is loaded on a stretcher and texting his gf, while we're still extricating his buddy.

Not my place to judge, but it was a bit ironic.
    07-16-08 08:00 PM
    Um..... Wow.
    yea thats what i said when i first watched it...totally uncalled for
    07-16-08 09:45 PM
    Misterrx,
    You said you had vlingo, I just tried the website and they said they don't support verizon with their (beta version) which version do you have??
    Thanks in advance
    In case it helps you, I'm on Verizon and I use vlingo Version 1.0.1.12581b4.3 (Copyright 2008 Vlingo Corp) with my BB Curve 8330.
    07-19-08 12:54 AM
    I do. I shouldn't, but I do. I work in post production and sometimes my communicate takes over and hour in traffic, I simply cannot be unavailable that long.

I do text one handed. I think that is why I am such a fan of the BlackBerry.

I can open an e-mail, copy text, start a new e-mail, add an address (or three) or group, paste the text and send it off .. all with one hand!

I don't two hand text and drive unless I am stopped (dead stop traffic or stop light)

I do also look at google maps and other things while driving. I dont response via text unless it is important though.
    07-23-08 06:43 PM
    I still do it, law be damned, but not nearly as often as I used to.
    07-23-08 07:19 PM
    My daughter's car is on the receiving end of someone who was texting while driving. While out with friends, she left her car parked on the street in front of her house. When she got home her car was smashed and pushed partway into her yard. According to a neighbor, the girl who hit her car was texting when she hit the car. The "textor's" car was not drivable and had to be towed. Unfortunately, no one called the police and the neighbor didn't have any information to help find out who damaged my daughter's car. So, all of you who've responded that you do text while driving, please be careful.
    07-23-08 08:14 PM
    Unfortunately, no one called the police and the neighbor didn't have any information to help find out who damaged my daughter's car.
    Thats pretty low that they wrecked a car and didn't even have the decency to at least leave a note.
    07-23-08 08:22 PM
    Only at a stop light, NEVER and I DO mean NEVER while driving the car!
    07-25-08 09:03 AM
    I admit I've done it as well as reading emails. So bad...
    07-25-08 09:17 AM
    I've seen so many people *accidentally* slam into someone in front of them because they were texting.. Everytime I see this I laugh my *** off.

Good luck to everyone on this thread that say they text while driving... and if anyone accidentally hits me from behind.. I will beat the living crap out of you.
    07-25-08 09:28 AM
    I was driving past an elementary school on my way to lunch a few weeks ago and a woman was going over the speed limit, through a school zone with a mobile in front of her face texting someone.

Seriously, if I see people texting while driving I'll just toss a rock at the car as tehy go by. I've almost been hit as a pedestrian by drivers texting and talking on phones. It does not impress me one bit.
    07-25-08 11:06 AM
    NEVER!

I rarely answer my phone while driving either. It's not a good mix and I'd rather focus my attention on all the other idiots on the road.

If I ever catch my kids texting and driving they'd be in some serious trouble!
    07-25-08 01:36 PM
    I do it some times but I try not to. I usually wait for a red light.

The same here...I only use one hand!!! Two would be way to dangerous!!!
    07-25-08 01:49 PM
    anyone here who tried using MyCaption.com on their BBs instead of thumbing their emails?
    09-07-08 05:12 PM
    I don't think I would go as far as to commit a misdemeanor or possibly cause a horrific fatality by chucking rocks at peoples vehicles, but I would toot the horn and hope they snap out of it and realize they're being careless. I have an emergency code for my kids when they text me while driving. two zeros. I think whoever could write a program for a text auto-response on the blackberry software would be rich. Or, does such a think exist? You could name it "Auto" Text.....get it?
    09-07-08 05:45 PM
    I'm guilty. One handed only. Whatever you do don't try this....

This Is How We Roll In India Video
    09-07-08 07:37 PM
576 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD