View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    I do all the time, and am finding the people taking the high ground on this thread a bit amusing.
    High ground? Are you serious?

I stated I have responded to numerous accidents
    because of people doing s^&t like this. And you
    have the unmitigated temerity to reduce that
    to taking the high ground. Simply ****ing amazing.

A year ago I responded to a MVA with three
    fatalities. The one survivor in that vehicles
    stated the man driving was texting at the time
    he switched lanes into the path of a tractor trailer.
    And you know what Gross Vehicle Weight usually wins.

Because you have been lucky this far does not give you
    the right to put others at risk. Grow up and get your
    head out of your ***
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-26-08 at 10:12 PM.
    06-26-08 10:05 PM
    I'm with probigeorge11, I drive with my knee. lol. My girlfriend hates it!
    06-26-08 10:17 PM
    <snip> How would you feel if (god forbid) you hit someone and there was a child in the car, or a guy on a motorcycle?
    What if it didn't end simply with some minor vehicle bruising and 147 dollars in tickets?
    Exactly! Motorist have a hard enough time just seeing motorcyclist on the road as it is, but we have a chance, sometimes a small one, of getting out of your way. A child doesn't have that chance.

BTW; driving with your knee or elbow is not being in control of your vehicle. I saw a women, who was in front of me thank god, driving a jeep with a cell phone against her ear, making a left turn, shifting from first to second at a pretty good rate of speed. Now, lets take stock for a sec... Let hand holding cell phone against her ear, right hand on gear shift shifting, right foot on accelerator, left foot working the clutch. What is she controlling the steering wheel with? Answer: nothing! She would jam the shifter in gear and then yank the jeep back in the direction of her turn. Yup! She was in total control. In a pigs eye she was.
    Then the system has failed us. Again, where are all the cops?!
    Im gonna go ahead and back out of this thread, because it will lead me nowhere. But i do stand by my statement. For myself, txting while driving is no different than casting my glimpse away from the road to look at a sign or anything else. I do not stare into my bb while driving, simply view the msg (normally no longer than a sentence) and reply without looking.

But if you are gawking at your phone all the while you are using it. Then yes, i would agree with people. But still dont understand the hostility.
    I try not to do it but I do sometimes I try and make sure I am stopped or not around any other cars. I would hate to ruin someones life because I was texting.
    06-26-08 10:19 PM
    I try not to but when I do (which is kinda often) I put my bb in front of me so the road is still in my vision. Its weird seeing people looking down at there laps while they r driving to text.
    06-26-08 10:20 PM
    But still dont understand the hostility.
    The hostility is because I am one of the people
    that has to tell a parent(s) that their loved one
    didn't make it. And then having to tell them WHY.
    06-26-08 10:22 PM
    And the better part of valor tells me I should back out of this thread also.
    06-26-08 10:26 PM
    06-26-08 10:28 PM
    Probably the best way to end it is to just say think before you text while driving.
    Drunks, impaired drivers and even motorcyclists on super hot fast bikes say 'Hey I'm good I can do this'.
    Some of those people are forever haunted by the life they took or injured for life. That is the ones that live through it.
    06-26-08 10:31 PM
    Once you get a feel of keys and where they are it isn't too difficult to do it without even looking. But that's mainly a "in the classroom" thing. I'd much rather not have to live with the consequences of seriously injuring or killing someone or myself because my friend wants to know where the party is tonight.
    06-26-08 10:39 PM
    I'm guilty of doing it at times but not all the time. I try not to make a habit of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 10:43 PM
    I do it all the time. Its almost as bad of a habit as texting itself. Lol. Its pretty easy to do it with the pearl I must say

06-26-08 10:52 PM
    Anybody who is texting while driving is completely stupid. One of these days, you just may kill somebody if not yourself!
    06-26-08 10:55 PM
    i txt and drive all the time. i'm a pretty good driver to where i can look at my phone and look at the road.
    06-26-08 11:06 PM
    I only do it at stoplights.
    06-26-08 11:27 PM
    I'm with AG. This is a serious pet peeve of mine. People texting or talking on their phones while driving are selfish and dangerous. If you are stupid and irresponsible enough to put your own life at risk, that's your problem. I on the other hand, don't appreciate you putting my family's life in danger because you think your social activities are more important than the life of say...my 8 month old daughter.
    Every time I'm stuck behind some stupid @ssh0|e on their phone, not paying attention I wonder where all the cops are?!
    When I am driving, my BB stays in my purse where it belongs. I have a bluetooth for important calls, and I rarely even use that.
    Seriously, there are reports on the news about cell phone use causing more car accidents than drunk drivers and we are chatting about it casually like, "oh, oops! I do that too!"
    Totally, totally agree! I can't get over how this is being treated as a joke! The overconfidence displayed here is frightening. I have innocent children in my vehicle and I can't believe people just kind of laugh about putting other people's lives in danger for text messages.
    06-27-08 12:52 AM
    Rather impossible to do while on my motorcycle. But for all you morons that I have to dodge on the freeway at least once a week I have this to say. If you take me down on my Harley you better have very good insurance because you'll be replacing close to 30000 plus medical bills and my salary while laid up. That is if my wife doesn't hunt you down. You don't want to meet my lady when she is mad.

Do is both a favor and keep the BB hands free and hands on the wheel and be aware of us on two wheels. I know some of us can be jacksases on the road but many of us aren't.

Ride and drive safe!

Mmmm, no kidding on the motorcycle thing. We've lost three guys in the past two weeks within ten miles of our home. The motorcyclists were not at fault in all three accidents. Now we have to worry about people who are so ignorant as to text and drive?
    06-27-08 12:57 AM
    The day that I walked into a tree while texting made me understand... texting takes too much brain power...
    Yes - I will text at certain long stoplights, but only the quick custom dictionary "ppp + space key" that translates to:
    "Driving - text or call in a few."
    06-27-08 12:59 AM
    I text while I drive. One handed. I've been cutting back on it though, you hear about to many cell phone related accidents from not paying attention.
    06-27-08 06:42 AM
    Scrolling through the forum I see that it is illegal in some states to text while driving. I'm not sure how many states that is though I know down here it's not a state law unless I'm not aware of it. I see a few cops texting down the road at times to be honest so who knows.
    06-27-08 06:46 AM
    Only at a red light! I'm glad that i can type pretty quick on my Berry!!
    06-27-08 06:46 AM
    Well now you don't have to worry about people texting while driving any more! Vlingo is out and its the best voice program out! I got this the other day and let me tell you! AMAZING! So there should be no reason for us BB lovers to nab this up! The best part its free! Just in case you didn't see Kevin's Blog about it I posted a link to his blog and for the users that are reading this via your berry and just want to download it Here is your link for the OTA m.vlingo.com

IMO no matter if they make this app 15.00 - 30.00 bucks.... its cheaper then a car wreck thats for sure!
    06-27-08 06:52 AM
    This will solve all your problems while texting and driving.

jott.com

Sorry cant make it a link not 10 post yet...

It's a free voice to text messaging service along with to do list and reminder etc.

All you do is give them a call and tell them the person you wish to text and then say what you wish to text to that person and it translate and sends.

All free except for whatever your carrier charges. You sign up and then download the blackberry mobile version. Such a simple way to text while driving instead of trying to take a hand off the wheel, to text just simply make a call from speakerphone or via bluetooth.

Plus, I rather you take your hand off the wheel for a call than to text someone.

Just my two centz
    06-27-08 06:54 AM
    Between screaming at other drivers, telling my son to settle down and watching the road....no time to text...lol Unless Im in the passenger seat.
    06-27-08 06:58 AM
576 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD