View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    I found this article on the web. If you don't read it, at least read the very last line.

Using a cell phone, and especially texting, can serve as a major distraction while operating a motor vehicle. That goes for anyone of any age. When you factor in the
    lack of experience behind the wheel that teens contend with, along with a cell phone, you've got a recipe for disaster � or worse, death.

Five states (California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Washington) and the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands prohibit driving while talking on hand-held cell phones.

Unconvinced of the wisdom of these bans? AAA surveyed 1,000 teen drivers ages 16-17 and found that 61 percent of the group admitted to risky driving habits. Of that 61 percent, 46 percent of the teens reported texting at the wheel and 51 percent said they talk on cell phones while driving.

A research study of 900 teens from 26 high schools nationwide done by the group Students Against Destruc-tive Decisions and insurer Liberty Mutual Group revealed texting was ranked as the most distracting
    activity the group of respondents participated in while driving.

Driving is a full-time job; treating it as anything less is to risk one's own safety, as well as that of other people on the road.

Texting and driving - like drinking and driving - don't mix, even if it is to text back just a single letter. Anyone operating a motor vehicle, no matter their age, should pull over if they want to make or receive a cell phone call.

Driving while texting (DWT) is nearly as dangerous as driving while intoxicated (DWI).
    12-30-08 01:02 PM
    I do text while driving, but only if 1) I'm stuck in traffic... I do live in Southern California - it happens. Or 2) if I'm at a red light. I will check my text/email messages while actually driving, just save on writing a response until I'm stopped.
    12-30-08 01:31 PM
    By now I would have figured that everyone in this thread would
    have come to the conclusion that no one is going to change
    anyone's mind.

Those of us who believe it is a dangerous and patently stupid thing
    to do will not be swayed.

Those of you who believe that is a safe and acceptable risk
    determined by the skill of the texter won't be either.
    12-30-08 01:48 PM
    anyone's mind.

AG its all good!

It's Human Nature To Constantly Bicker/Argue/Discuss/Complain themselves into Oblivion-

After reading all this stuff though, I have curbed my Texting habits though- Especially after reading the Horror Stories of "Text-Driving".

So In That Defense I Don't Think It's All Bad (30 Pages of Circular Argument).

So Long As People Aren't Posting In Here While Driving Hehehe
    12-30-08 01:53 PM
    anyone's mind.

Exactly, nor is anyone going to convince them to stop arguing.
    12-30-08 01:58 PM
    I admit I have used the phone while driving. It's not illegal in my state. However, I draw the line at texting while driving. It is way too dangerous. I read a report the other day, distributed by my state's highway patrol, that stated distracted driving is now the leading cause of traffic accidents, serious injuries and deaths as a result of those accidents for teen drivers. Only a matter of time until they pass a law to deal with it. Resist the urge to text while driving. If you must text either pull over or let someone else drive.
    12-30-08 02:06 PM
    Don't do it.

My wife is a photographer for the military medical examiner's office. She had to go on a case on base where someone was killed because she was hit by some bimbo who was texting and not paying attention.

Sure hope that important "omg lol" text was worth that poor girl's life.
    12-30-08 02:10 PM
    It looks like most of us have a texting problem....LOL

Just be safe out there

I mean, if you wreck you could mess up your BB and no one wants that.
    12-30-08 02:16 PM
    So Long As People Aren't Posting In Here While Driving Hehehe
    Prada this is why you are so endearing

Exactly, nor is anyone going to convince them to stop arguing.
    Wasn't my intent. Just pointing out the obvious.
    12-30-08 02:18 PM
    I have been knee driving long before bb's and now I do it without even realizing it sometimes according to my girlfriend and never miss a lick. I do find myself texting while driving but I try to avoid except for slow traffic and stop lights. Otherwise I hand the bb over to my woman and have her type while I dictate
    12-30-08 02:23 PM
    I never text while driving, I wait to get to wherever I'm going, and then I'll reply. I have a bluetooth for important calls. I also drive a stick, so it would be completely foolish for me to text and drive at the same time.
    12-30-08 10:42 PM

Wasn't my intent. Just pointing out the obvious.
    ...as was I.
    12-30-08 11:39 PM
    I am addicted to my phone, but I have not once ever texted or talked on the phone (except speakerphone) while driving

I plan on getting a bluetooth headset for calls though
    12-31-08 12:38 AM
    Only read but never respond back so I get a lot of "you there?" Then when I get a chance, stop/light, I just tell them I'll text them after I'm done driving, if not, I'll let them wait.
    12-31-08 12:49 AM
    I am sick of goverment laws all they are really after in California is the revenue stream as you know Arnold says the state is broke but IMO this state has done it it to themselves by making it nearly impossible to do buisness here. Now back to the subject sorry for my rant. But I have the storm and it is very dangerous to text while driving with this phone I have tried I am using Vlingo with some good results much safer I am in the process of getting a good bluetooth headset for high background noise enviroments and yes I think we all should take more care when driving .
    01-01-09 12:14 PM
    Use to 1 hand text when I was using my 8703e but its too challenging at least right now with the storm.
    01-01-09 05:15 PM
    01-08-09 03:03 PM
    I hardly ever text and drive at the same time...
    01-08-09 03:05 PM
    Maybe at a red light, but never while driving (OK, maybe not never). Bluetooth makes everything really simple, so I try to use that.
    01-08-09 04:07 PM
    I hardly ever text and drive, except occasionally at a stoplight or when I'm bored while stuck in traffic.

Just a few weeks ago my roommate rear-ended someone while texting and driving. Oops.
    01-08-09 04:11 PM
    no comment whatsoever......
    01-08-09 04:29 PM
    Use to 1 hand text when I was using my 8703e but its too challenging at least right now with the storm.

amateur. I text on my storm while eating a donut and drinking my starbucks.

I used to a little bit on my curve, but the storm has cured me for the most part. I'm simply not fast enough one handed to really bother with it.

and...uh...it's bad. yeah..that's it. that's why I don't do it anymore.
    01-08-09 04:43 PM
    bump for the newbies
    03-31-09 03:02 PM
    Here we go again!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 03:05 PM
    Here we go again!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    you know you enjoy it...
    03-31-09 03:21 PM
576 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD