View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    I suppose it depends on the level of skill the driver has... there are people I wouldn't trust driving the car by itself, let alone adding other distractions to it.

I better stop here before I spill the beans of all the technology I've used while driving

Everybody repeat after me, "It is the actions of a few that ruin it for the whole." Read the "Do Nots" on your toaster or hair dryer or this proof.

-m
    12-17-08 11:39 AM

Everybody repeat after me, "It is the actions of a few that ruin it for the whole." Read the "Do Nots" on your toaster or hair dryer or this proof.

-m
    This is to true.
    12-17-08 11:50 AM
    I just downloaded Vlingo and now I can text while I drive by talking to my phone. Just have to turn the music off.
    12-17-08 11:58 AM
    Guilty as charged, one handed but it's not the safest thing to do.
    12-17-08 01:18 PM
    I mostly do it in traffic or at red lights. Although, on straight roads i use my knees and do a few things on my BB. I know is wrong.

Disclaimer: I am not condemning the use of phones or any other electronic device during the operation of a vehicle. The use of electronic devices while operating a vehicle is very dangerous; it is not just deleterious to you but also to everyone around you.
    12-19-08 10:11 AM
    I mostly do it in traffic or at red lights. Although, on straight roads i use my knees and do a few things on my BB. I know is wrong.

Disclaimer: I am not condemning the use of phones or any other electronic device during the operation of a vehicle. The use of electronic devices while operating a vehicle is very dangerous; it is not just deleterious to you but also to everyone around you.
    Ditto...occasional text while driving, know it's wrong, try to keep it to a minimum, always look up, still shouldn't do it, etc. etc.
    12-19-08 10:34 AM
    I used to do it...one handed, when I had a phone with predictive text. I wouldn't need to look at the keys to text, I could still watch the road and text.

Since I got my Curve, I haven't attempted to text and drive. Id have to look at the keys to type, and my car/life aren't worth whatever text Im sending.
    12-19-08 10:53 AM
    Tried it once...went over a curb and almost hit a mailbox. Never again.
    12-19-08 01:40 PM
    I am also proficient with knee driving although I know I shouldn't
    12-19-08 01:45 PM
    I know it's wrong. However on the 26.7 mile ride home I get bored. So I surf the net and send some text/emails. The traffic in atl. is terrible and takes me over an hour to get home. So I need some way to pass the time. FORGIVE me Father I have Sinned
    12-19-08 01:52 PM
    guilty as charged
    12-19-08 02:04 PM
    It will be worth watching for the sentence in this case BBC NEWS | England | Oxfordshire | Texting crash motorist convicted

Hopefully, life for a life.
    12-19-08 02:16 PM
    I do this all the time. One handed texter. I swear I'm careful though.
    12-19-08 04:55 PM
    I hate to admit it, but damn, it seems like everyone does it now. Kinda scary.
    12-19-08 05:19 PM
    12-30-08 08:26 AM
    It will be worth watching for the sentence in this case BBC NEWS | England | Oxfordshire | Texting crash motorist convicted

Hopefully, life for a life.
    I call red herring...

Shortly after making a call, her car hit Victoria McBryde's parked car at 70mph (113km/h), then spun into oncoming traffic, hitting two more vehicles.
    She told the court: "I didn't think I should be chatting away when manoeuvring roundabouts, but in the right conditions..."
    So the driver was chatting on the phone, not texting.

-m
    12-30-08 10:17 AM
    So the driver was chatting on the phone, not texting.
    There are some (like me) that use chatting and texting as the same. To me chatting and talking aren't the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 10:23 AM
    Every city has laws against "distracted driving" and many (Including Phoenix where I live) has specific no texting laws.

It's a joke on local radio that the 2-3 people who were cited for "texting while driving" in the 2 years since the law has been on the books were crossing lanes and basically using such generally bad judgment that they could have easily been cited for reckless driving instead.

Do I eat, drink, talk, text, take pictures and reach behind me and threaten my kids into submission all while driving? Yes.

Is it safe? Yes as long as I am not distracted from my primary purpose which is DRIVING. Its been proven that you can be distracted JUST AS MUCH by talking to a front seat passenger as you can by ANY cellphone use.

Do what you must to DRIVE SAFELY. Everything else is secondary, but not impossible.

That said, every day, I bet I treat at least one, um... distracted driver in the ER who should have NOT been doing one the above named activities.
    12-30-08 10:36 AM
    There are some (like me) that use chatting and texting as the same. To me chatting and talking aren't the same.
    It might be poor reporting on behalf of the news source or confusion over my vernacular, but it said she had the accident 'shortly after making a call' not 'sending a text'.
    12-30-08 11:17 AM
    I can't understand why anyone would advocate or justify texting while driving. Just does not make any sense.

Cause an accident, police show up, they inspect your phone check your messages and see activity coming from your phone at the time of the accident. You get in trouble. Was that text message really worth your insurance going up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 11:48 AM
    will a cop really check your cell phone during an accident investigation?
    12-30-08 12:15 PM
    It's Unlikely-

But Your Insurance Company Sure Can, and If You were-

They Can Deny Coverage for the Accident.
    12-30-08 12:21 PM
    On local radio, they have talked about that very thing. You can rest assured that since insurance companies are run by lawyers, and since Police try to work with prosecutors, Police will reasonably implement whatever makes the prosecutors job easier. But the police need not even be involved first hand. They put a timestamp on the accident, and for all we know, it may already be SOP for the insurance lawyers to check cellphone records vs. accident timestamps to try to exploit the issue. i.e. the insurance may not need to pay if YOU broke the law while creating the "accident."
    12-30-08 12:27 PM
    I've done it before but rare but mostly on red lights ....
    12-30-08 12:32 PM
    Ahhh...I do get to vent today.

Due to a dumb@$$ teenager texting and driving with her knees, I was put in a coma for a couple of days. She ran me of the freeway on my motorcycle.

The people who stopped to help me told the police they saw her driving with her knees while she was using both hands (texting we guess) and lost control, came over into my lane and forced me off the shoulder. I basically broke everything on the left side of my body and I still have hearing problems (yes I always wear a helmet).

She hauled @$$ and they never found her.

I typically don't get involved in discussions like this but for those of you who insist on texting while driving, you may want to reconsider.

...just my 2 cents
    12-30-08 12:35 PM
576 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD