View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    1. I'm not bragging. I'm telling the truth. You're generalizing.

2. I'm sorry about your nephew. I lost my brother 22 years ago today, to skin cancer. It's my opinion that people who lay out in the sun are insane, but I keep that to myself.
    But my point remains true. No matter how good at it you may be (and I don't doubt you there) it doesn't mean that it's the responsible, intelligent thing to do.
    11-26-08 07:08 PM
    After seeing accidents caused by inattentive drivers and you still think texting is ok?You are the one sounding silly.
    Of course. I type one letter every 5 seconds or so, and it's perfectly safe. I really don't know what the issue is here, except that some people are uber-reactionary. There are ways to drive safely while texting, but that doesn't mean texting is always safe. Do you get the difference there? Obviously I don't do it in heavy traffic or any situation in which my undivided attention is mandatory.

Geez, what is it with you judgmental types?
    11-26-08 07:09 PM
    1. I'm not bragging. I'm telling the truth. You're generalizing.

2. I'm sorry about your nephew. I lost my brother 22 years ago today, to skin cancer. It's my opinion that people who lay out in the sun are insane, but I keep that to myself.
    I am one that was a sun worshipper many years ago. I was a lifegaurd and even used crisco to "tan" with. I am admit I was stupid. I don't make excuses about it. It was stupid.

I can admit I was in the wrong. You can't.
    11-26-08 07:10 PM
    But my point remains true. No matter how good at it you may be (and I don't doubt you there) it doesn't mean that it's the responsible, intelligent thing to do.
    LOL.

Mmmkay, darlin'. Now submit a list of everything you do, every second of the day, so I can evaluate it and pronounce judgment on whether it's "responsible" or not.
    11-26-08 07:11 PM
    I am one that was a sun worshipper many years ago. I was a lifegaurd and even used crisco to "tan" with. I am admit I was stupid. I don't make excuses about it. It was stupid.

I can admit I was in the wrong. You can't.
    Because I'm not wrong. I've said five different times now that I text so slowly, it's not an issue.

This is almost funny. Control freaks are tiring, however.
    11-26-08 07:12 PM
    LOL.

Mmmkay, darlin'. Now submit a list of everything you do, every second of the day, so I can evaluate it and pronounce judgment on whether it's "responsible" or not.
    Aw, you're going the condescending name calling route. Interesting.

I promise you, anything I do that's irresponsible, doesn't put anyone's lives at risk. Yours does.
    11-26-08 07:14 PM
    Because I'm not wrong. I've said five different times now that I text so slowly, it's not an issue.

This is almost funny. Control freaks are tiring, however.
    Who cares that you're texting slowly? Why does it matter? It takes one fraction of a second to be in an accident.
    11-26-08 07:15 PM
    Who cares that you're texting slowly? Why does it matter? It takes one fraction of a second to be in an accident.
    Oh for chrissakes, get a grip. By your logic you can't do anything but hang onto the wheel and look straightforward the entire time you're driving. Hilarious.

I happen to think that people having conversations with passengers is distractive -- way more so than me typing out one letter every five seconds. Wait, no. I know it is.

Why the need to be such a judgmental controlaholic?
    11-26-08 07:29 PM
    Oh for chrissakes, get a grip. By your logic you can't do anything but hang onto the wheel and look straightforward the entire time you're driving. Hilarious.

I happen to think that people having conversations with passengers is distractive -- way more so than me typing out one letter every five seconds. Wait, no. I know it is.

Why the need to be such a judgmental controlaholic?
    You either aren't reading me properly or aren't understanding me properly. I said earlier, there are enough distractions while driving that divert your attention away from the road, why voluntarily add another? Because you can? Because you think you're good at it? What are these texts/emails you're receiving that are so terribly important that it can't wait until you're not OPERATING A MOVING VEHICLE?

There is a reason it's becoming a ticketable offense.
    11-26-08 07:38 PM
    You either aren't reading me properly or aren't understanding me properly. I said earlier, there are enough distractions while driving that divert your attention away from the road, why voluntarily add another?

Think of it this way: I don't suffer from most of those other distractions. For me, texting (and I do it maybe twice a day) replaces LEGAL distractions (talking on the phone with a bluetooth, for one).

The common mistake you all are making here is looking at this from a top-down perspective. Yes, some people will have a traffic-related incident because of text-messaging. That doesn't make the text-messaging the primary cause of that. I submit that the motor vehicle records of anyone who does cause these incidents be pulled. I suspect you won't find someone (like me) who has a totally clean record all of a sudden distracted by a controlled texting environment (puhleeze ... one letter every five seconds???) will have caused an accident because of the texting.

A lot of people think they can drive safely after a few drinks. I disagree, because that impairs concentration and reflexes. However, someone can have one drink and register well below the legal BAC. That person is most likely not impaired enough to make even a single mistake, although it *could* happen, depending on her or his overall driving experience and skill.

Just in case you think I'm shooting from a lone planet, my best friend is a trooper and he agrees with me on this. So do his co-workers. Overall driving habits and the ability to situationally focus is the issue. Not any single action a driver may take.
    11-26-08 08:01 PM
    One guy lost his life when he tried to change his CD and took his eyes off the highway for what must have been a few seconds
    You are the one who said this. Just taking the time to type 1 letter as you put it could also an accident. Just because you haven't caused a wreck YET does not mean it is safe. You sound just like an alcholic that states they have better reaction time AFTER drinking.
    11-26-08 08:10 PM
    You are the one who said this. Just taking the time to type 1 letter as you put it could also an accident. Just because you haven't caused a wreck YET does not mean it is safe. You sound just like an alcholic that states they have better reaction time AFTER drinking.
    Correct. A FEW SECONDS. Not one second. It appears he was choosing a CD and inserting it (based on the fact that his CD case was open on the seat). That's different from glancing down, picking a key and typing it.

And yes, it does mean that I will not cause an accident by texting. It's absurd to suggest that looking at a phone is any more dangerous or distracting than looking at a sign.

I addressed the alcohol issue. Someone who is at or over the legal BAC limit is, I believe, diminished in capacity to respond. Someone whose head is bent over, typing out an entire word, is risking mightily that something will happen to which s/he cannot respond.

Neither of those cases reflects my driving. Thanks.
    11-26-08 09:12 PM
    My radio has a MP3 player over 150 songs per disc and I have a remote so all my attention is on textin and driving LOL
    LUVITLO it is people like you whom give us Mini Truckers a bad reputation. Personally if you see my Show Truck on the street you would never know it is a lowrider. True I have a nice paint job, but I put my stock wheels back on after the show and keep the Air Bags full so my truck looks stock and doesn't attract/destract others drivers attention.
    I may text every once in a while as I drive, but I make sure there are no other cars close by. Disreguard for safty is why COPS watch us sooooo darn close.
    11-26-08 09:51 PM
    I txt and email while driving. Its not good, but it really depends on the driver and the situation on the road. Everyone can't do something, some people can barely drive and change the radio station, while some people can shave eat drink coffee talk and drive with no issues. I've never been in an accident and I feel I can txt and drive very well. I usually do one handed txting unless its a long highway or red lights/stopped traffic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 09:59 PM
    Still doesn't make it right.
    11-26-08 10:04 PM
    LUVITLO it is people like you whom give us Mini Truckers a bad reputation. Personally if you see my Show Truck on the street you would never know it is a lowrider. True I have a nice paint job, but I put my stock wheels back on after the show and keep the Air Bags full so my truck looks stock and doesn't attract/destract others drivers attention.
    I may text every once in a while as I drive, but I make sure there are no other cars close by. Disreguard for safty is why COPS watch us sooooo darn close.
    Prove your a Mini Trucker bro.........MiniTruckin and Breakin Laws go hand in hand. I meet very few law abiding Mini Truckers........Have you ever even been to a show?????????//
    11-26-08 10:32 PM
    I've done it at a red light before but never while the car is moving
    That's as far as I take it... Of course I am more paranoid about what everyone else is doing around me. I trust myself for the most part.
    11-26-08 10:38 PM
    For God's sake, I can barely text while walking (in Manhattan)!
    11-27-08 12:50 AM
    Still doesn't make it right.
    You must be heaven to live with.
    11-27-08 03:49 AM
    i think all of us have texted while driving at some point. LOL
    11-27-08 04:03 AM
    You must be heaven to live with.
    My family has no problems. At least I can admit when I am in the wrong.

11-27-08 06:45 AM
    Some of you might hate me for this statement but I don't care! People who text while driving, no matter how good of car control you have, are f**kin IDIOTS!!! Like I said before, why would you want to jeopordize the lives of others all because you want to stay up on your social life? Put the f**king phone down.and watch the f**kin road!! Life is too damn short to put your life and other peoples lives at risk!!

I don't even know why this thread is still open! Everytime I read about someone who is proud about texting and driving, I just want to give them a virtual b**ch slap!!

11-27-08 07:17 AM
    Is anyone surprised by the results of the poll?

11-27-08 10:16 AM
    I am going to update my reponse since this dumb post got revived. Yes, I do drive and type. I don't "text" about what's on TV tonight. I respond to dispatch requests via email. I set up my typing prefs to only have to type 3 letters to get different pre-stored responses. Its been working great. Unfortunately for me, I'm in a vehicle all day every day so I can't be pulling over every 5 f'ing minutes to type. I'll tell you though options>auto text saves lives! I've done all my basic responses and saved them to very easy letters to type, but none that would be used in a word. I make them easy like lining up keys on a qwerty wsz, edx, rfc, tgv and so on. With the little nipple/bump on the D/5 key, its easy to feel around for the right key. You should practice this while laying down in bed at night. Try blind typing a whole sentence, you'll get really good at it trust me. And now I will demonstrate. Here I am typing: hello my name is jim
    Hekki my bame us hum
    Wait, I can do better
    hekki mt b,e us hun
    Hekki my mame is jim
    How bout that ah?

11-27-08 10:42 AM
    How about all of you STORM users... can you text and drive with a Storm??
    12-04-08 03:02 PM
576 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD