View Poll Results: Do you use your phone while driving?

Voters
452. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time, I'm great at one handed texting!

162 35.84%
  • Only talk w/ Bluetooth or Handsfree.

68 15.04%
  • I drive with my knees and do all sorts of other things.

109 24.12%
  • NEVER, it's much too dangerous.

113 25.00%
    Always leave my radio on 1 channel. Keep my eves on the road. Don't use maps because I use a tom tom - just listen to the voice directions. Before the GPS I would pull over to read a map.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I take my eyes off the road for a couple of seconds at a time, max.

I've been driving for 33 years and have never caused a collision. The last speeding ticket I got was in 1983.

Is this a contest?
    11-26-08 02:42 PM
    It's the texters/eaters/drinkers, map/book/newspaper reading, puzzle/crossword doing, radio/CD/bag/purse/stuff on the seat/floor boards fiddlers. Oh yeah and those turned around yelling at the kids/dog people. Followed by the famous changing clothes, teeth/hair/beard brushing, hair/beard braiding, contact changing, face shaving/eyebrow plucking/pimple/nose/teeth picking/makeup adding.... all while looking in the mirror people.

This is long before we get to the drunk/drugged/too tired to be driving people.
    Bingo! And yet the knee-**** reaction to technology is for legislatures to outlaw it.
    11-26-08 02:46 PM
    Bingo! And yet the knee-**** reaction to technology is for legislatures to outlaw it.
    is J E R K a swearword? LOL.
    11-26-08 02:52 PM
    Is this a contest?
    I never said it was but it was like I was being jumped on for thinking texting and driving is wrong. I was just making a point that I was not a pot calling the kettle black.

11-26-08 02:56 PM
    i got in an accident friday. i wasnt texting but i was reading texts/running navigator on my phone. so the point isnt what your doing, its that your distracted. even hands free is proven to distract people. just focus on what your doing while your driving. red lights only last so long too!
    11-26-08 03:00 PM
    i got in an accident friday. i wasnt texting but i was reading texts/running navigator on my phone. so the point isnt what your doing, its that your distracted. even hands free is proven to distract people. just focus on what your doing while your driving. red lights only last so long too!
    so... after this accident, will you pull over next time to read your texts??
    11-26-08 03:03 PM
    I admit to doing it. Knee-driving while texting. I've narrowly avoided accidents (thanks to my cat-like reflexes ) and sworn to never do it again. But a couple of days later I'm at it again.
    11-26-08 03:28 PM
    I never said it was but it was like I was being jumped on for thinking texting and driving is wrong. I was just making a point that I was not a pot calling the kettle black.

No, just a drama queen who inserted the "lives of my nieces (being) more important" yada yada.
    11-26-08 03:29 PM
    No, just a drama queen who inserted the "lives of my nieces (being) more important" yada yada.
    wow... that's not polite!
    11-26-08 03:32 PM
    Did you not read what my statement was in regards too? Someone didn't text when their son was in their car, but did when son was not in the car.

But why should I have to explain. Someone else can look more like a drama king.

11-26-08 03:58 PM
    wow... that's not polite!
    Agreed! I can't believe she implied that people who send text messages while driving don't care about the lives of her nieces. I'm sure she was just overcome with emotion when she posted it
    11-26-08 04:23 PM
    No I do mean that. No text is more important than anybodies life. If it is so important that you have to text right that very second than pull over and stop driving so you don't put others lives in danger!!! If you don't text with your own child in the car, don't text with someone elses child in the other car.

11-26-08 04:32 PM
    No I do mean that. No text is more important than anybodies life. If it is so important that you have to text right that very second than pull over and stop driving so you don't put others lives in danger!!! If you don't text with your own child in the car, don't text with someone elses child in the other car.

I'm sorry if you can't do two things at once. Many of us can.
    11-26-08 04:37 PM
    There are any number of activities that are equally distractive. Don't just assume that texters are dangerous.
    Of course they are dangerous. Simply because there are other activities that are dangerous doesn't mean that texting is less so. Have you ever read the statistics on texting while driving? It lessens your reaction times GREATLY. I don't care how good people think they are at doing it.

I'm sorry if you can't do two things at once. Many of us can.
    Simply because you can does not mean that you should.

There are some people who insist they drive BETTER under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Does that mean they should be able to drink and drive, becaues they feel like they CAN?

Have some respect for the other drivers on the road. I don't care how careless you'd like to be with your own life, but don't bring anybody else down with you.
    Last edited by JosieGrossie; 11-26-08 at 04:43 PM.
    11-26-08 04:39 PM
    My radio has a MP3 player over 150 songs per disc and I have a remote so all my attention is on textin and driving LOL
    11-26-08 04:46 PM
    My radio has a MP3 player over 150 songs per disc and I have a remote so all my attention is on textin and driving LOL
    Glad you think it's funny. Here's hoping you never kill someone and have to tell the family that your text message was more important than being a responsible driver. Thumbs up.
    11-26-08 04:52 PM
    Good Lord, can you possibly make yourself seem less intelligent. Nevermind. I
    already know the answer to this one. Of course you can, and probably will in 10, 9, 8, 7 ....
    11-26-08 05:58 PM
    And just when you thought it couldn't get much worse..

11-26-08 06:12 PM
    Of course they are dangerous. Simply because there are other activities that are dangerous doesn't mean that texting is less so. Have you ever read the statistics on texting while driving? It lessens your reaction times GREATLY. I don't care how good people think they are at doing it.

And what are "reaction times" when someone is eating while driving? Talking to backseat passengers while driving? Trying to check a mirror while driving? Oh, you say there are no statistics? Wow, what a shock. I wonder if it's because those things don't involve recent technology.

Look, the action isn't the problem. It's the person's ability to do it safely while driving. Some of us can, irrespective of your opinion. Now, obviously, having long text conversations without looking up from one's phone is a bad idea. But to suggest that typing one letter every five seconds or so is somehow dangerous is just ludicrous.

The best idea here is to not overreact and project. Eh?
    11-26-08 06:53 PM
    And what are "reaction times" when someone is eating while driving? Talking to backseat passengers while driving? Trying to check a mirror while driving? Oh, you say there are no statistics? Wow, what a shock. I wonder if it's because those things don't involve recent technology.

Look, the action isn't the problem. It's the person's ability to do it safely while driving. Some of us can, irrespective of your opinion. Now, obviously, having long text conversations without looking up from one's phone is a bad idea. But to suggest that typing one letter every five seconds or so is somehow dangerous is just ludicrous.

The best idea here is to not overreact and project. Eh?
    You act like I'm saying texting is the only dangerous thing people do while driving. It isn't, and eating/putting on makeup/talking on the phone are just as bad. Who cares if you think you can do it and do it well? I am an excellent multitasker and could probably get away with texting while driving but I DON'T because it's ridiculous to even take the chance. My text messages really aren't that important. There are enough distractions while driving, why voluntarily add another?
    11-26-08 06:58 PM
    Glad you think it's funny. Here's hoping you never kill someone and have to tell the family that your text message was more important than being a responsible driver. Thumbs up.
    I've been on scene at 19 fatal accidents and dozens (maybe up to 100) serious or not-so-serious accidents. Inattention is often the culprit. But in none of them was there a phone device involved. One guy lost his life when he tried to change his CD and took his eyes off the highway for what must have been a few seconds (his CD player had a disk halfway ejected).

Those of us with multiple decades of experience in driving perhaps have a better feel for timing, and how frequently attention to the road is required. If you ask professional driving instructors, they don't even recommend having your eyes completely on the road in front of you at all times.

Again, it's not text-messaging in itself that's dangerous. It's giving text-messaging too much uninterrupted attention. It may take forever to type out a text while driving, but it's the only safe way to do it. So please don't make blanket statements about texting while driving. You just sound silly.
    11-26-08 06:58 PM
    You act like I'm saying texting is the only dangerous thing people do while driving.
    No, I act as if you're making an unwarranted generalization, which you are.
    11-26-08 07:00 PM
    I've been on scene at 19 fatal accidents and dozens (maybe up to 100) serious or not-so-serious accidents. Inattention is often the culprit. But in none of them was there a phone device involved. One guy lost his life when he tried to change his CD and took his eyes off the highway for what must have been a few seconds (his CD player had a disk halfway ejected).

Those of us with multiple decades of experience in driving perhaps have a better feel for timing, and how frequently attention to the road is required. If you ask professional driving instructors, they don't even recommend having your eyes completely on the road in front of you at all times.

Again, it's not text-messaging in itself that's dangerous. It's giving text-messaging too much uninterrupted attention. It may take forever to type out a text while driving, but it's the only safe way to do it. So please don't make blanket statements about texting while driving. You just sound silly.
    Yes, people are bragging about how they can do a number of unnecessary things while driving and I'm the one that sounds silly.

My nephew was killed by a 40 some year old business man typing away a text/email on a Blackberry. He'd been driving and texting for years because OMG he thought he was good at it! He did it all the time! He wasn't stupid, he knew what he was doing, he only looked away for a second! A second is all it takes.
    11-26-08 07:00 PM

After seeing accidents caused by inattentive drivers and you still think texting is ok?You are the one sounding silly.
    11-26-08 07:05 PM
    Yes, people are bragging about how they can do a number of unnecessary things while driving and I'm the one that sounds silly.

My nephew was killed by a 40 some year old business man typing away a text/email on a Blackberry. He'd been driving and texting for years because OMG he thought he was good at it! He did it all the time! He wasn't stupid, he knew what he was doing, he only looked away for a second! A second is all it takes.
    1. I'm not bragging. I'm telling the truth. You're generalizing.

2. I'm sorry about your nephew. I lost my brother 22 years ago today, to skin cancer. It's my opinion that people who lay out in the sun are insane, but I keep that to myself.
    11-26-08 07:05 PM
576 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD