Then someone dies and everyone gets upset...a "tragic accident" that could have been prevented by a little more patience...but they see the wrecks and continue their same bad habits every day.
    Sad but so very true.
    07-11-10 09:58 PM
    My province will be enforcing ZERO TOLERENCE as of July15, 2010 on the following
    using ANY hand-held electronics while driving
    - texting
    - voice calls using the handset (headset calls are allowed)
    - I believe this also includes using dash-mounted GPS units while driving

I'm pretty much all for this. Occasionally I need to take a call from work while driving, but I think either they are going to pay for a bluetooth unit, or learn to deal with missed calls!
    07-11-10 10:10 PM
    Although I support any no-texting laws, I think proper new driver training would also do more good that any amount of laws that deal with drivers who have already developed bad habits.
    07-12-10 01:23 AM
    I agree totally!!
    07-12-10 03:33 AM
    No texting laws are pointless IMO. We already have laws we can enforce. If someone is driving like a dumbass like swerving lanes or not paying attention give them a careless driving ticket.

Talking on the phone while holding it in your hand is not dangerous, it's the dialing or using the phones menus you have to watch out for, so I also think hands free is useless.
    07-12-10 07:27 AM
    I agree to a lot of what you're saying. I admit, I text occasionally or look up stuff phone while driving. Eventually it will catch up with me. My county has a ban on texting and using a mobile device while driving. Problem is, most of these police officers have a lot more to deal with than this. So most of them let it go by the wayside.
    07-12-10 08:29 AM
    Accidents are caused by slow drivers, fast drivers, dumb drivers, old drivers, drivers who are applying makeup, drivers with unsafe cars, lucky drivers, unlucky drivers, good drivers, drunk drivers, sober drivers and cops.
    07-12-10 09:11 AM
    I agree. I think it's important NOT to drive distracting...texting or otherwise.

I use my Bluetooth speaker (on my visor) to make/take calls and never have to touch my phone.
    I think people forget about the GPS. I fiddle with mine once I pull off to the side of the road and then I can make adjustments.
    07-12-10 09:18 AM
    Accidents are caused by slow drivers, fast drivers, dumb drivers, old drivers, drivers who are applying makeup, drivers with unsafe cars, lucky drivers, unlucky drivers, good drivers, drunk drivers, sober drivers and cops.
    True but you can minimize the risk.
    07-12-10 09:26 AM
    what i think is funny is how many parents are up in arms about an anti texting while driving saying how it's too graphic for their teens to see. i refuse to text while driving and i see too many accidents on my way into work in the mornings because of dumb a holes texting and driving. just a few months ago my friend was rear ended by a doctor no less that was texting behind her and didnt see her stop for a red light and thank god no one was hurt
    07-12-10 09:58 AM
    If they are going to ban cell phone use while in a car they need to throw in
    -reading the newspaper
    -(women) putting on make up
    -eating
    -adjusting the AC
    -Adjusting the Radio
    -Making sure the baby has it's bottel
    -drinking
    -turning on headlights
    -turning on windshield wipers
    -they need to have a HUD in ever car
    -Adjusting the seat
    -take the sunvisiors out of the car
    -take the horn out of the car

Those all distract one from watching the road....

What they need to do is use harsh punishments for those who do text and drive, and use the first ones to make an example for what not to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 11:43 AM
    In Maine it is against the law to "Drive while distracted."
    More and more states are enacting laws to ban cell phone use while driving.
    11 states enacted new laws banning texting while driving this year.

State Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws

It seems to me that this issue is being taken seriously by lawmakers.
    It would help if it was taken seriously by all of those operating motor vehicles.
    07-12-10 12:25 PM
    In Maine it is against the law to "Drive while distracted."
    More and more states are enacting laws to ban cell phone use while driving.
    11 states enacted new laws banning texting while driving this year.

State Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws

It seems to me that this issue is being taken seriously by lawmakers.
    It would help if it was taken seriously by all of those operating motor vehicles.
    It's being taken seriously by anyone who can squeeze every last penny out of you. for what ever reason.

07-12-10 12:28 PM
    If you text while driving YOU can cause an accident. You may disagree with me and rant and rave all over me BUT I don't care what you say if you disagree with me. You are not infallible

I had a customer today who is a victim of a driver texting. The texter walked away with just a scratch. The woman he hit has a pin in her leg her has a scar on her face THAT I helped to find a foundation to cover
    Her car was totaled. She will NEVER walk normally again. NEVER

So while you are cockey and say it will never happen to you. I pray you are right. I hope you rethink your bad habit. Become a respectful caring person. Have the respect for that powerhorse you drive and love
    Love yourself and be safe. Don't text and drive. It is stupid and dangerous

If you change the radio station while driving YOU can cause a accident. Same for eating, drinking, smoking, talking, etc etc etc etc etc. People seem to think that there were no accidents prior to phones coming along.
    07-12-10 12:58 PM
    Driving while holding phone to the ear is also a distraction. What if you have to swerve to not hit an animal for example or slam on brakes because someone ahead of you stopped suddenly. Both hands on the wheel always best. I don't even drink coffee or water whiile moving. Tahe a sip at the red light. Just too dangerous for this stuff. It is crazy out there

07-12-10 01:56 PM
    Driving while holding phone to the ear is also a distraction. What if you have to swerve to not hit an animal for example or slam on brakes because someone ahead of you stopped suddenly. Both hands on the wheel always best. I don't even drink coffee or water whiile moving. Tahe a sip at the red light. Just too dangerous for this stuff. It is crazy out there

That's why i always speed everywhere i go... i have to spend less time on the roads with the knuckle heads of the world.

07-12-10 02:01 PM
    That's why i always speed everywhere i go... i have to spend less time on the roads with the knuckle heads of the world.

lol speeding as a solution? You might rather rethink that.

If you were being ironic I take it back.
    07-17-10 12:31 PM
    lol speeding as a solution? You might rather rethink that.

If you were being ironic I take it back.
    i wasn't being ironic.... more a sarcastic flare.
    07-17-10 01:44 PM
    Someone was killed by a 20 year old driver who swerved into their lane just a couple miles from my home this week. The person following them said they were all over the road and looking down often. They were supposed to be looking at the phone records to see if there was activity at that time.
    07-18-10 08:15 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD