Any way around the 160 character cap on texting? Its very annoying...
    11-18-08 05:27 AM
    Only way to do so is to use MMS. MMS allows for 1000 characters to be used. Just make sure the person receiving it has a MMS option on their plan, otherwise they'll get charged for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 06:21 AM
    If the recipient has a BlackBerry, you can use pin messaging. Pins are sent as data and have no character limit, but only work bb-to-bb.

11-18-08 06:30 AM
    The character limit is not only for blackberry phones, but other phones as well. My previous LG phone also had a character limit. Sending a text message from VZW's web to cell text page also has a cap.

11-18-08 06:34 AM
    Pretty much every provider has the 160 cap.
    What I love about the Blackberry that you can keep typing away and lets say if you have over 400 character it sends it but the person getting it gets 3text.
    11-18-08 06:40 AM
    I don't understand what you mean that you can type away the the person will get multiple txts? My SMS on the pearl stops me. Do I use mms to gave unlimited and the reciever gets multiple? Sorry I guess I'm a little slow. Thanks

11-18-08 06:59 AM
    My Curve does not stop me at 160. It lets me keep going. So when i need to make a point across I keep going and going. The other person that gets that message hates it.. lol! Because they get multiple texts.
    11-18-08 07:05 AM
    Thanks. Just read other posts shuch I guess I should have fine first. Its all carrier drivin and verizin has a max of 160.

11-18-08 07:12 AM
    I don't understand what you mean that you can type away the the person will get multiple txts? My SMS on the pearl stops me. Do I use mms to gave unlimited and the reciever gets multiple? Sorry I guess I'm a little slow. Thanks

I've got the same issue with my pearl. It doesn't 'start' a new text after 160
    11-18-08 07:18 AM
    That's too bad the pearl stops. MMS I'd what yopu need to do for longer messages or pin to pin.
    11-18-08 07:24 AM
    My Curve does not stop me at 160. It lets me keep going. So when i need to make a point across I keep going and going. The other person that gets that message hates it.. lol! Because they get multiple texts.
    This does not work on my Curve. I have VZW as my carrier. When I reach the 160 character limit I get a pop-up screen that says "Field Full". It will not allow me to type additional characters.
    11-18-08 08:10 AM
    More than 160 characters? How about sending an email or (gasp)
    just calling the person. SMS = Short Message Service, the
    operative word being SHORT. I'm just saying......
    11-18-08 08:43 AM
    Now, now, let's not get all obvious and existential.
    11-18-08 08:54 AM
    This does not work on my Curve. I have VZW as my carrier. When I reach the 160 character limit I get a pop-up screen that says "Field Full". It will not allow me to type additional characters.
    Same here...when I had T-Mobile and a Sony Ericsson phone I could send a novel if I wanted, my ex gf would send long @ss texts that I'd have to scroll down through like 5 pages of. It was a shock to see a 'smartphone' have a limit on something so simple.
    11-18-08 08:58 AM
    Thanks. Just read other posts shuch I guess I should have fine first. Its all carrier drivin and verizin has a max of 160.

Verizon does NOT have a max of 160. I previously had an envy where I could type up to 7 pages of 160 characters and it would receive to people on verizon as 1 message. However, their 8330 curve does stop at 160, and doesn't even provide you with an option of breaking up the texts. Another Verizon blackberry limiter.
    11-18-08 10:06 AM
    My curve let's me keep typing...when I compose a text message it shows 160/ 1 of 6, and depending who I send it too they either get 1 texts or if I go over they'll get 2 or however many pages I go over. When I send it to people with an iphone or blackberry they get just one text containing everything.

11-18-08 10:33 AM
    Verizon does NOT have a max of 160. I previously had an envy where I could type up to 7 pages of 160 characters and it would receive to people on verizon as 1 message. However, their 8330 curve does stop at 160, and doesn't even provide you with an option of breaking up the texts. Another Verizon blackberry limiter.

I had an EnV as well and also another LG phone before that. The only time that those phones did not have a max of 160 was when you were texting someone who also has Verizon. If you try to text someone on another carrier, it only sends the first 160 characters and then shoots the rest back to you saying that they only recieved the first part.
    11-18-08 11:05 AM
    Now im really confused. Some people are able able to just keep typing and some arnt. Someone said its a carrier thing, and someone else said its not... LoL I want to be able to keep typing and have it automaticly break the text up for me, if anyone knows what setting I have to change to be able to do this please let me know
    11-18-08 02:57 PM
    Now im really confused. Some people are able able to just keep typing and some arnt. Someone said its a carrier thing, and someone else said its not... LoL I want to be able to keep typing and have it automaticly break the text up for me, if anyone knows what setting I have to change to be able to do this please let me know
    It's a provider thing. The time I was on Vzn, with several non-BlackBerry phones, I had the 160 character cap. On AT&T I can punch away on SMS no problem. My girlfriend could do the same on her Sony Ericsson, which was on AT&T. She has since moved to Vzn and has the 160 character limit that I experienced. I'm likely to believe that it's the Vzn way of crippling their handsets.
    11-18-08 03:14 PM
    It's a carrier and a phone thing. As a general rule, CDMA can't break up texts, whereas GSM can. The only way a CDMA can break them up is if the phone you're using enables it...but they'll still be received as separate to people on other networks.

For Blackberries they've left it up to the carrier- if you're on CDMA you CANNOT enable it...it's just not an option.
    11-18-08 03:16 PM
    I had an EnV as well and also another LG phone before that. The only time that those phones did not have a max of 160 was when you were texting someone who also has Verizon. If you try to text someone on another carrier, it only sends the first 160 characters and then shoots the rest back to you saying that they only recieved the first part.
    That is true. But I've sent messages to people who didn't have Verizon (don't remember what carrier they had), and they've told me they've the message in multiple texts. It depends on how the carrier handles the long texts.
    11-18-08 09:43 PM
    haha i dont care if it comes out in a bunch of texts for them or just one, i just think its a pain in the **** to run out of room in mid thought and have to send that one, and then open a new text n put in who ur sending it to and then try to remember exactly where u were cut off at
    11-19-08 01:45 AM
    works like this, if your on the lets say AT&T network you can text all you want. no worries, you get charged for multiple text yes but you have no limit. If you text a verizon person FROM AT&T you send lets say 400 chars. They receive 3 text's from you. Even tho you sent only 1. Verizon breaks it up, hella annoying. I dont see t-mobile having that prob. meh,
    11-19-08 02:14 AM

I will call bs on the fact that it was received as 1 message...

yes phones support pages... However if you look up the fundamentals of the protocol SMS the protocol itself is limited to 160 this is not a verizon thing this is not a sprint or at&t thing this is how the protocol was designed and used.

Even if somehow there phone received it as 1 message it was charged as 7 messages through verizon or whoever else the text went through.

If you would like to further read about what SMS exactly is this article even though its a WIKI has pretty much everything correct

Short message service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have been known to be wrong at times but I am pretty confident in this one.
    11-19-08 02:28 AM
    All that I know is one of my older phones I had, dont remember which it was, but it was threw verizon also. I could just keep typing, and it would just automaticly break it into how ever many messages it had to at the end when it sent them. Thats all I want to be able to do with my blackberry. I dont care if I get charged for 1 text or 7, or if the reciever gets charged for 1 or 7, or even recieves 1 or 7, just want to make it easier on myself instead of having to manually break them up myself because my phone woulnt let me type more than 160 characters in the sms window...
    11-19-08 02:50 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD