We banned the use of personal devices at their work stations. Employees were instructed to leave cell phones/bb/iphond/pod etc.. In their lockers. They could use them on breaks / lunch, but not during work / at their work area.. Employees who were found breaking the rule would receive documentation (verbal warning, written warning, etc...)

Good management always helps.. In doing my rounds I found an employee who had left their iphone playing music in a storage room... I took it, and brought it to security, and turned it in as "lost and found". I left a note with it that said "next time, I'll keep it" on it...

This one employee looked everywhere, and asked all the other employees if anyone had seen it... He didn't ask me, as he knows he wasn't supposed to have it with him. 5 minutes before the end of his shift, as I could see how stressed about it, I suggested "maybe you should check with security for lost & found?"

He did, and he got my note. Haven't had an issue with this one again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Much smaller company and they use their phones for company business.

Although I have been asked many times to give them our wifi password so that their phone or tablet can get on the internet. It is fun to deny them or give it to them since I still have to approve the MAC address (and wont) anyway.

I have actually been told that it doesn't cost me anymore money if they use the wifi.
    "Yes it does since you wont work." lol
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 05-17-11 at 11:08 AM.
    05-17-11 10:59 AM
    Whenever I see a forum post with txtspk in it I'll either ignore it or (if I'm feeling particularly snarky) start the reply with "If you write your posts in English you might get better answers"
    "I really have no idea what you just wrote." Is also a good one.
    kilroy2730 likes this.
    05-17-11 11:09 AM
    I am 41, so I do not understand much of the "text lingo." If I see a post full of text lingo that I do not understand, I will not offer assistance. I am not going to take the time to look up the text lingo on some Web site to decipher what the poster was trying to say. If he or she types in standard English, I will answer him or her.

Even folks who do not speak English as a first language tend to be more understandable than those who use text lingo.

05-17-11 11:33 AM
    I'm 19 and coming from the recent generation, i gotta say i do the, "u ayt" or "maybe 2day" kinda thing but i NEVER tYp3 LyK dIzzZ seriously that takes more time! and therefore invalidates any reason on why you're using shortcuts
    05-17-11 11:54 AM
    I can fully understand and support the use of text short hand (u=you, 2=to, etc) in a text message. Especially when composed on a number keypad using milti-tap.

It has no business anywhere else. Not in any form of written communication and especially not spoken.

05-17-11 12:03 PM
    Regardless of how they write I much prefer my kids to text/bbm/im then to hold the phone to their heads all day. Anyway, go back 100-200 years in time and your proper "english" will not get you far, languages evolve if we like it or not.

05-17-11 01:02 PM
    It's the profligation of talking.

If you didn't want to write years ago, you didn't have to (once you were done with school). Look at Craigslist today, for example. Adults show themselves incapable of basic grammar or sentence structure...but before the internet, they would use, say, the newspaper to sell something. Look through the car classifieds, you'd see PS, PW, PL, CC, A/C, etc and know what those meant and there wasn't room for a description. Now you have as much room as you want.

Likewise, know an adult who's illiterate but can talk just fine?

Blame education, blame the kids and their rock n roll music, but realize your parents said the same thing about you; your grandparents said the same about your parents Did "Happy Days" ruin your generation, after all, like "they" said it would?

For those of us who grew up in the "tech" generation, we just have more ways to look foolish these days...and with the internet and texting and Twitter...we have a super easy, cheap/free way to spread our foolishness across the world Same as with those printing presses, publishing books the Church can't proofread--don't allow the commoners to gain literacy, it will cause an uprising!
    05-17-11 01:33 PM
    Regardless of how they write I much prefer my kids to text/bbm/im then to hold the phone to their heads all day. Anyway, go back 100-200 years in time and your proper "english" will not get you far, languages evolve if we like it or not.

The difference is I am able to understand Shakespeare and the original 1611 King James Bible.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Ferretling likes this.
    05-17-11 02:38 PM

Sorry but if I can understand the majority of an NHL player in an interview and none of the NBA players then there is a problem.
    05-17-11 02:56 PM
    The only time it's cool is if they have that multi tap thing or in the case of not being able to see. I know someone who has eyesight issues and so when she types (on her qwerty) it's easier for to do it that way since she can't look at the screen long.

I wish they would find a way to stop the degradation of eyesight
    05-17-11 03:53 PM
    Nice post lol and I can't stand the text speak thing either. I am kind of guilty of it myself buy you can clearly read everyone of my txt messages.
    05-17-11 04:00 PM
    I remember back when I was in highschool using MSN (and ICQ) a lot. I was the typical teen using shortened words like "ur" and "u". However, I started noticing that I was having trouble typing essays and other schoolwork without using the obviously inappropriate lingo. Ever since then, I created a habit to type with proper grammar and spelling, no matter what medium I'm communicating across. Now it comes very naturally.

You know what I really can't stand though? People who use internet memes, especially on these forums. How many times have I read, "this phone doesn't have so and so? EPIC FAIL."? It's not clever, funny, cute, or anything. It's only an indication of a mind that lacks the ability to think for itself. It's very ironic how so many people talk in such similar ways on the internet. I figured the anonymous nature of the web would allow people to be themselves.

05-17-11 04:21 PM
    agree, i can't stand the l33t 5p34k. i feel the harder u concentrate on it, the more difficult it is to read haha.

agree with the like/lyke, kewl/cool, etc.

however, i disagree with ur assumption that most people have unlimited texting. sure texting is cheap in the US, but that doesn't mean it's cheap in other countries. also, text messages are a bigger ripoff than movie popcorn, so it's justified that someone doesn't want to pay extra for tons of text messages.

i currently work in china where my monthly plan allots me 240 SMS per month. although going over doesn't cost a fortune, freely sending SMS like i did in the US (1500 SMS per month) will obviously have a significant impact on the monthly bill. using u instead of you, 2 instead of two/to/too, & instead of and makes a difference when one needs to conserve their messages.

in fact, most chinese citizens don't use SMS because of this reason. moreover, luxury tax on goods in china is ridiculous, so not everyone can afford to buy a computer either. if u don't believe me, check out the prices at the China Apple Store.
    I understand what you are getting at, but I some people do things like this.

wen r u going?

Pointless. Very pointless.
    Not exceeding over 160 characters.
    05-17-11 04:30 PM
    Or you know what else I hate? When people put extra letters on the last letter of every word! Damn, I hate that! lol for example: "Theeee quickkkkk brownnnn foxxxx jumpedddd overrrr the lazyyyy doggg." Reading that makes me want to kill lol
    05-17-11 05:12 PM
    Or you know what else I hate? When people put extra letters on the last letter of every word! Damn, I hate that! lol for example: "Theeee quickkkkk brownnnn foxxxx jumpedddd overrrr the lazyyyy doggg." Reading that makes me want to kill lol
    That reminds me of posters who start threads with titles such as "Heeellllppp Meeee!" The forum rules state that one needs to give his or her thread a meaningful title.

05-17-11 07:00 PM
    Not under 20 here, but when I was I didn't text like that, it drives me nuts.
    Although really, with as crappy as schools are these days it's not like it'd be easier to read if everyone did try to spell it out.
    05-17-11 08:34 PM
    Where I'm coming from, people use the short terms of u, 2, dr, Ha3 and so forth because we don't have unlimited text messaging unless you pay for an actual plan but as someone mentioned even less than 160 characters and people still use text speak, I guess it just stuck for some. Majority of users are pay as you go subscribers and want to squeeze a message within one text message. When I was in college, I would send text messages using those short terms to save up on the cost.. now that I'm working, I type out with the proper spelling.

Text messaging has murdered the grammar and spelling for kids. I've heard this so many times and in so many places. Another thing I've heard complained about is the lack of good penmanship. As if I don't get enough of that with doctors.

Something that irritates me more are those who type in what you call 'sticky caps' I think. dS iS sO kEwL. Imagine a paragraph of that. Migraine.
    05-17-11 09:06 PM
    Sorry but if I can understand the majority of an NHL player in an interview and none of the NBA players then there is a problem.
    most NHL players are White while most NBA players are Black..
    so what exactly are you saying?
    05-17-11 09:11 PM
    I can't stand when someone puts an "ellipsis" (...) at the end of every sentence. Really annoying.
    05-17-11 09:12 PM
    It's very annoying to read text talk in an email or on the forums. There's no charge or character limit so why can't the message be typed out properly?

In texts, I don't mind the shorthand if the person has limited text or doesn't have a qwerty keyboard. Other than that, people can type out what they want to say. I know my niece has unlimited text, yet she still uses the shorthand. Unfortunately, she also texts all the time and doesn't pay attention to the people right in front of her. It's just not respectful.

Thankfully, I have unlimited text and don't have to worry about going over and being charged when typing messages out.
    05-17-11 09:49 PM
    It's very annoying to read text talk in an email or on the forums. There's no charge or character limit so why can't the message be typed out properly?
    That is very true.

In texts, I don't mind the shorthand if the person has limited text or doesn't have a qwerty keyboard. Other than that, people can type out what they want to say. I know my niece has unlimited text, yet she still uses the shorthand. Unfortunately, she also texts all the time and doesn't pay attention to the people right in front of her. It's just not respectful.
    My cousin's daughter was like that when she was around 15. Now she is 18 and will be graduating next month. She no longer texts when she is amongst the family at gatherings.

Thankfully, I have unlimited text and don't have to worry about going over and being charged when typing messages out.
    I have unlimited text and so do all of my friends. However, I prefer to use BBM or IM (Yahoo Messenger or GTalk), since those are faster and more reliable.
    05-17-11 09:58 PM
    Im pretty shocked at the open season on younger people going on in this thread. I know plenty of older people who type in "text speak." ****, my own mother substitutes U for you!

I think a lot of the abbreviating grew out of having to type on the old dumbphones. it truly amazes me when someone with a qwerty phone sends me some sort of gibberish-filled message... it never occurred to me until now that they may have spent enough time on a 9 key phone that it just altered their vocabulary..
    05-17-11 10:47 PM
    But thaz how ur suposd 2 tlk on fonz. Y u mad?
    05-17-11 10:51 PM
    I never talked like that on a forum...when I text I might do "u" instead of "you" to save me on character space in a text...but never on facebook/forum/twitter,etc.
    05-17-11 11:07 PM
    Dude.
    I'm 17 and I think the most annoying thing is wen ppl tlk lyke ths.
    I mean really. Most people have unlimited text and if you don't just use a freaking computer.

The most annoying is stuff like "lyke" and "ur"
    LIKE AND LYKE HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF LETTERS.

But its called 1337 Spe4k. (Elite Speak). It annoys me to death.
    Ur is only 2 letters less. your will not take much longer than ur.
    Teens text a lot. I think people aren't putting it into perspective. There are teens that send thousands of texts a month. They hold multiple conversations at the same time via text messaging. Some of them talk and text at the same time.

Typing like that is disgusting, I agree (IRL, I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi - my mom hates it)... When you're juggling two-5 IM/SMS conversations though, in between trying to bring the Facebook or Twitter servers down... Concessions have to be made and they make those consessions by shaving off letters where they can and using more comfortable typing patterns. That means even though LYKE and LIKE may have the same amount of letters, depending on how they type on their phone it may be faster and more comfortable for them to type it that way.

Intent and "got it?" factor matters more to them than accuracy.

My niece is always on facebook doing this, and it drives me nuts. I've already defriended her once for it, but it won't change so I won't even bother mentioning it anymore. Look at her last Facebook post...

Uhmm... Nevermind. I think I need to ride there and ask why a just turned 16 year old last week is listed as married on Facebook and has over 700 friends.

O.O
    05-17-11 11:10 PM
116 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD