I have a Curve. If I send multiple texts to a person, I have no way of knowing which one they are replying to because they all show up as the history. For example, if I text "are you going tonight?" and then, before they reply I send "or whould you rather stay home?". I may get the response "yes". but even if they are responding to the first question, both of my sent texts will show up in the history and I can't know which they are talking about. (and don't telll me not to send a second until they've answered the first, thank you very much...that isn't the point). Texting on the Curve works like an AOL Chat conversation rather than and Email conversation. I prefer the latter, which is what I've had on every phone before. Is there any way to "fix" this? It is driving me nuts!
    01-23-10 11:27 AM
    5.0 has threaded SMS, although the nature of SMS is not to be linked to a specific message (as e-mail does with replies), it will show them in sequential order in the thread. But, if you send multiple messages, the next reply is going to show up chronologically. I doubt that any phone would show it differently.
    01-23-10 12:18 PM
    that is so wrong it is amazing. if i send four messages and the user replies to the the third, the fourth never shows up under the reply line on any other phone i've ever used. so i would know that the response went to the third, and not the fourth.

that said, if you think i am imagining the problem or otherwise think i am delusional, feel free to ignore the question. if anyone has any useful advice, please post. Thanks
    01-23-10 12:39 PM
    Texting on the Curve works like an AOL Chat conversation rather than and Email conversation. I prefer the latter, which is what I've had on every phone before. Is there any way to "fix" this?
    The latest operating system, 5.0, provides threaded SMS. A thread is something where things are tacked onto the end. For example, in the crackberry forums, the Original Poster clicks on "new thread," and all responses get tacked onto the bottom of the thread. This is basically how texting should be (otherwise you'd be e-mailing them). It's up to the person you're talking to to be more clear when responding (I hate 1-worded responses). There is no way to turn off threaded SMS, other than downgrading your OS to 4.7.

The previous operating system, 4.7, didn't have threaded SMS. Thus, when people replied to your text messages, you could see which text message they were replying to. I would imagine the information is still being passed along, but the 5.0 OS probably disregards it and just adds it to the thread.
    01-23-10 12:45 PM
    that is so wrong it is amazing. if i send four messages and the user replies to the the third, the fourth never shows up under the reply line on any other phone i've ever used. so i would know that the response went to the third, and not the fourth.
    I have a question. On your curve, are YOU able to scroll up and reply to specific texts that you received? And when you do, does the message you send pop up at the bottom, or does it pop up below whatever text you replied to?

Being able to reply to specific texts in a threaded SMS environment is stupid. What if someone replied to an old text message? In that case, you probably would never see the message.
    01-23-10 12:52 PM
    The latest operating system, 5.0, provides threaded SMS. A thread is something where things are tacked onto the end. For example, in the crackberry forums, the Original Poster clicks on "new thread," and all responses get tacked onto the bottom of the thread. This is basically how texting should be (otherwise you'd be e-mailing them). It's up to the person you're talking to to be more clear when responding (I hate 1-worded responses). There is no way to turn off threaded SMS, other than downgrading your OS to 4.7.

The previous operating system, 4.7, didn't have threaded SMS. Thus, when people replied to your text messages, you could see which text message they were replying to. I would imagine the information is still being passed along, but the 5.0 OS probably disregards it and just adds it to the thread.
    +1 (bold comment above)
    01-23-10 01:00 PM
    +1 (bold comment above)
    That and the fact that with a QWERTY device, you should be able to formulate complete questions without having to split them up.

Instead of asking "Do you want to go out tonight?" Send "Or would you rather stay home?" Send, why not ask... "Do you want to go out tonight or would you rather stay home?" Ask proper questions and have people answer with proper answers and you won't have this issue.

A phone won't send out SMS text with message ID's tagged on them so that when people answer the the response is linked to the correct message they are responding to. SMS IS LINEAR!!!, meaning that each message is treated as a singular message with no ability to thread it short of threading it via links to Sender/Receiver. That's it, it's called an SMS for a reason. It's not a "chat session".
    01-23-10 01:14 PM
    SoCaliTrojan, Thanks for the info re the operating system. That was very helpful information and I will see if it is possible to downgrade. I suspect I am stuck with this crappy "upgrade" though.

Peace.
    01-25-10 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD