So I guess they held the National Texting Championship today. I only clicked on the article because I was sure the 9900 would make an appearance.. I mean could any serious competition about texting not use that phone? So I'm reading along and its going on and on about how they don't use touch screens, they use physical qwerty.. "Here it comes.. I knew it.."

And instead its some lame LG phone? Seriously? Its just little moments like this where you remember that RIM should get the gold medal for sucking at marketing.
    08-08-12 11:56 PM
    You do know it's the "LG U.S. National Texting Championship", right?
    jegs2, LewLew23, bigbmc26 and 4 others like this.
    08-09-12 12:04 AM
    B. U. S. T. E. D, Busted! Lmfao!
    08-09-12 12:49 AM
    The end.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-09-12 12:52 AM
    In the article about him winning they lied about RIM too, they said they are ditching the physical keyboard........
    andyJH likes this.
    08-09-12 07:22 AM
    This isn't a slight against ANY phone or phone maker as ALL the competitors will be using the exact same device: LG Optimus Zip.

Sixth Annual U.S. National Texting Championship Ignores the Touchscreen - ABC News

There's one striking thing about the competition: the competitors will be pounding away on physical keyboards, not on touchscreens. All the competitors have been provided with an LG Optimus Zip, an Android phone with a slide-out physical keyboard. The phone has a touchscreen too.
    08-09-12 07:43 AM
    In the article about him winning they lied about RIM too, they said they are ditching the physical keyboard........
    They did nothing of the sort. This is what they said and it is true as the first BB 10 phone is to be a touchscreen device with a physical keyboard device to follow shortly thereafter. Nowhere in the article does it state RIM is "ditching" the QWERTY keyboard.
    Maybe, of course, you have a different article.

Even RIM has said its next phone, based on its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, will not have a hardware keyboard, a staple of many of the BlackBerry brand.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-09-12 at 07:52 AM.
    08-09-12 07:48 AM
    / thread lol
    08-09-12 08:41 AM
    Another winning thread.
    08-09-12 08:47 AM
    I'd like to see the competition between a QWERTY and a touchscreen done in this style.

Categories
    Fastest 140char phrase
    Fastest Blindfolded Phrase
    Fastest 1 Handed Phrase
    Fastest Alphabet
    fastest reply in reverse ( backwards typing)
    most Hello worlds in 10 seconds,
    jkomo001 likes this.
    08-09-12 08:52 AM
    I too would love to see a competition between a physical keyboard, such as the 9900 and a touch screen! I'm convinced the 9900 would win.
    08-09-12 11:16 AM
    I too would love to see a competition between a physical keyboard, such as the 9900 and a touch screen! I'm convinced the 9900 would win.
    ^what if the touch screen was using swype?
    OniBerry likes this.
    08-09-12 11:54 AM
    Swype would beat almost any other keyboard imo (in the tests deRusett proposes)
    08-09-12 12:00 PM

Would depend on the competition then

if the competition wasn't using real words, or mixed languages the physical keyboard would win, but as long as you stick to real words, with regular punctuation and no acronyms then swype has a better chance at winning with it's auto complete functions
    NOW add the swype/swiftkey predictive text options to a physical keyboard and the game would me messed up again
    08-09-12 12:02 PM
    They do hold "fastest" texting competions..and touchscreens hold the records. As for DeRussets suggestions..blindfolded? What would that prove? That you need a physical kb in order to type blindfolded? As for the rest..im sure a touchscreen would still best any physical kb.

Does BB not have a typing speed app to measure your speed? I've already posted several screens of doing 80+ wpm on my touchscreen..it would be easy enough to start a thread on here where posters post their best times.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    08-09-12 12:04 PM
    It's too bad BlackBerry couldn't be the sponsor of something like this.
    I would like to get better at the no look typing on the 99. It would be perfect for driving, messaging during meetings, not walking into walls or polls, typing with both arms full, and pretending to pay attention to the real person in front of you, when all you can think about is responding to an email.
    08-09-12 12:09 PM
    It's too bad BlackBerry couldn't be the sponsor of something like this.
    I would like to get better at the no look typing on the 99. It would be perfect for driving, messaging during meetings, not walking into walls or polls, typing with both arms full, and pretending to pay attention to the real person in front of you, when all you can think about is responding to an email.
    I'm sure the media would have a field day with a RIM sponsored "Text while driving" competition lol..
    westcoastit likes this.
    08-09-12 12:18 PM
    "Text while driving" is a bad title obviously. I think it would be great promotion and fun to have a typing competition with obstacles that simulate real life distractions that we all experience daily. Obstacles like a shaky chair, obstructed view of the phones screen, walking through large crowds, taking a phone out of the opposite pants pocket before completing a message while carrying paperwork/briefcases/babies/groceries/walking the dog.
    I would watch something like this on late night ESPN, specially if it were BlackBerry sponsored.
    08-09-12 01:44 PM
    "Text while driving" is a bad title obviously. I think it would be great promotion and fun to have a typing competition with obstacles that simulate real life distractions that we all experience daily. Obstacles like a shaky chair, obstructed view of the phones screen, walking through large crowds, taking a phone out of the opposite pants pocket before completing a message while carrying paperwork/briefcases/babies/groceries/walking the dog.
    I would watch something like this on late night ESPN, specially if it were BlackBerry sponsored.

Only if it were to be hosted here [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50jVa25gmWs[/YT]
    sir.dangerfield likes this.
    08-09-12 01:50 PM
    My wife happened to be in NYC yesterday during the texting championship.
    She asked if anyone can enter with their phone, but she was told that all contestants must use an LG Optimus.

She has been a long time typist with amazing speeds, and uses a 9930 which she can type at 80+ WPM on a physical keyboard. I guess it is what you become accustomed to because she is not nearly as fast on glass.
    Last edited by calcareer; 08-09-12 at 02:12 PM.
    08-09-12 02:10 PM
    According to the title of the thread you would think......oh nevermind.....meh
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-09-12 03:54 PM
    They do hold "fastest" texting competions..and touchscreens hold the records. As for DeRussets suggestions..blindfolded? What would that prove? That you need a physical kb in order to type blindfolded? As for the rest..im sure a touchscreen would still best any physical kb.

Does BB not have a typing speed app to measure your speed? I've already posted several screens of doing 80+ wpm on my touchscreen..it would be easy enough to start a thread on here where posters post their best times.
    80 words per minute with proper grammer, punctuation, spelling and no predictive text? Typing competition should be about actually typing the letters to create the words, not about the technology. I don't have a problem about the swype and the predictive text, but if those are utilized, then it is not a typing competition...it is a tech competition, in my slightly dated and humble opinion.
    08-09-12 04:18 PM
    Not sure why people think that it's faster to type on a physical keyboard. Just because YOU can type faster on a physical keyboard doesn't mean it's the same for everybody. I certainly type faster on a virtual keyboard than a QWERTY now, and teens I see fly on virtual keyboards. As for texting records, as RickRoller has pointed out, it's owned by virtual keyboards.

Watch this video and see this guy type on his iPhone while breaking the world record.

08-09-12 04:29 PM
    @Roo Zilla: I understand what you mean as my daughter(not a teen BTW) can out type at lot of people on a physical QWERTY keyboard with her iPhone but I also think most people are speaking for themselves.
    08-09-12 05:11 PM
    You do know it's the "LG U.S. National Texting Championship", right?
    No I didn't read that part. Doesn't change my mind though. It still should have been the Research In Motion Texting Championship. My whole point was this is a missed opportunity to show that texting is better with a BlackBerry. It's one of the few things RIM has going for them right now.
    08-09-12 05:14 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD