Ok, I am new to Blackberry, and I want to know what tethering is. It costs more per month, and I want to see if its worth it. (I do not have a blackberry yet.)
    06-15-10 08:12 PM
    Tethering on Verizon is $30 on top of your BlacKBerry Data plan (which is also $30).
    06-15-10 08:16 PM
    Tethering allows you to use your BlackBerry as a modem to connect a PC to the internet. Whether that capability is worth the fee is a decision you can make now that you know what tethering is and what it costs. You may also consider buying the Tether app as an alternative to Verizon's monthly subscription service. Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether
    06-15-10 09:02 PM
    I have the teather plan on Verizon. It costs me $25 extra a month and has a 5GB cap on data. That cap does not split the data with just using my phone, it is separate and only counts on data while teathering. I use my phone as the primary modem for my laptop and I am in school so it was a good plan for me. I had also looked into verizon's mifi system but that shares the data 5GB cap among any computer in the house. I was afraid I would run over if shared. I also teather my tour via bluetooth so it's easy to use, especially in class or on the go.
    There are apps like teatherberrry out there that have a one time fee. I chose not to use that because I knew my data usage would be on the higher end and didn't want to take a chance of getting caught by verizon. Many people use it without any issues and have for years, but with my cell being my only phone and internet access I just didn't want to take a chance. I am also pretty much a scardy cat when it comes to things like that and have never even used a leaked OS so that is just my preference. That is not to say that teatherberry wouldn't be fine for you or someone else, it just isn't my thing. I also like the fact that by using vzw's teather plan I can get tech support if I need it and since I take many classes online this was a major issue for me. Figure out your needs and decide how you are going to use your teathering and then figure out what you are comfortable with.
    06-16-10 01:33 PM
    Unfortunately u can't set it up as a wifi hotspot :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 05:18 PM
    I use the App Tether and it works great. I've had not issues with it and it works anywhere I get signal on my BlackBerry.
    06-16-10 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD