Hi, everyone. I had an idea this morning and I want to run it past my experts here before I go through with it.

What do you guys think about making BB tethering via bluetooth my primary way of connecting to the internet, so I can cut out one of my utility bills?

I just paired my Curve to my macbook and it was absolutely painless. The connection is a bit slower than my DSL, but it's barely noticeable. Since I don't game or do tons of file sharing, it won't be a problem. I pay $45 or $50 a month for my DSL+phone (that I have never, ever used). It would be nice to cut this out of my monthly budget!

This is one of those things that sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice might pose some problems that I can't forsee. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your time and input!
    09-25-08 09:27 AM
    I do this when I am on the road but it drains the battery too quickly. I would tether via the cord so it can charge at the same time
    10-02-08 08:24 AM
    I do this when I am traveling. Like said above "it does drain the battery". I also can't stand how slow the connection is. I don't think I could use it as my primary internet.
    10-02-08 08:30 AM
    if you are the oly one using the internet at home and you are already paying for the internet on your blackberry, it would almost make no sense at all to keep your dsl. I am in the same boat, i have my bb tethered but unfortunately, I have other people in my house who run off my dsl so cutting of my dsl is not an option. But in your case if you live alone and you use your cell phone, you could ditch your house phone on top of your dsl and save even more money
    10-02-08 08:46 AM
    I understand that it is listed as unlimited but am not sure if there is an advertised cap for the data.

It was mentioned some time ago that verizon or one of the carriers was monitoring the data amount for tethering

I am not sure
    10-02-08 09:09 AM
    I also use BT tethering while traveling. I use the car adapter(s) to keep my phone and/or laptop battery(s) fully charged. Also, TMO is the only carrier that offers unlimited internet for $20.00.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 02:45 AM
    does anyone know if you can do this with your blackberry without the TETHERING TO YOUR COMPUTER plan for verizon. i know that if possible they will charge you per mb or kb but im just wondering if any emergencys every came up, if i would be able to tether my computer to my blackberry bite the bullet and pay the maybe 5-10 bucks i might have to pay based on usage
    10-11-08 03:51 AM
    Living in Florida, power outages due to hurricanes are a concern. I bought a generator, and wired it into my house to solve the power problem. I have a couple of window a/c units for air conditioning, as the generator isn't big enough to run the central unit. I bought rabbit ears so I have some tv. That left the computer. Unfortunately if the power goes off, so so does the cable. Tethering my curve to my desktop solves that problem. I originally got the tethering plan from Verizon to use with a laptop. I have even used it at work when our T1 cable was damaged.
    10-11-08 07:37 AM
    so do you actually need the tethering plan in order to successfully pair the phone to the computer to use the internet?
    10-11-08 08:10 AM
    I use my BB tethered while am waiting on my dsl service.
    Its serves its purpose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD