savy: this is my fear when dealing with binary files. This has been compiled on 10.5.6 and that is the only version of the OS that I would suggest people use this compilation for. Did you not follow my steps and rename the original /usr/sbin/pppd to /usr/sbin/pppd.orig? If so, you can just rename it back using "mv /usr/sbin/pppd.orig /usr/sbin/pppd"

328iguy: Please follow the directions I gave and enter the commands into the terminal. If you are not comfortable doing that, you should not be messing with this.

tomte: I think the way you managed to get things compiled is likely the better way. I wonder if we should try to figure out how to create some patches and build instructions so that we can avoid people using binaries that may not work on their OS?
    05-08-09 07:27 AM
    Seeing as 10.5.7 has now been released, I would recommend for people to revert back to the original pppd before upgrading just to be on the safe side - that is, until csete or tomte give the all clear.

Assuming you followed the earlier instructions by csete, you can reverse the changes by entering the following commands into Terminal:

sudo mv /usr/sbin/pppd /usr/sbin/pppd.modified
    sudo mv /usr/sbin/pppd.orig /usr/sbin/pppd
    05-13-09 12:27 AM
    Can't wait to try this when I finally get a bold .
    05-13-09 12:44 AM
    I can confirm that the pppd file posted by csete does still work with 10.5.7. The 10.5.7 update will overwrite whatever pppd you have installed with the same version that was in 10.5.6 and thus the pppd issues happen all over again. Simply follow the same steps posted by csete and you will have functioning tethering again.
    05-13-09 04:30 AM
    Wow... you guys are quick. I wanted to test out this exact scenario to see where we stood, but you beat me to it. I'm glad to see that the hacked binary still works ok on 10.5.7.

Is anyone aware of how I could submit a patch to Apple to try and get them to accept some changes? I'm thinking I could create a new configuration parameter that could be used in these cases (rather than the hardcoded 1 second delay), but it would only really be worthwhile to do this if we could get Apple to accept a change and provide a new binary in later releases.
    05-13-09 07:36 AM
    Hey guys,

THANKS for your solution! I am running 10.5.7 here on my Macbook Air in Germany.

Tethering now works fine with T-Mobile Germany, .266 Firmware!

With best regards
    Ingo
    05-13-09 02:08 PM
    Is anyone aware of how I could submit a patch to Apple to try and get them to accept some changes? I'm thinking I could create a new configuration parameter that could be used in these cases (rather than the hardcoded 1 second delay), but it would only really be worthwhile to do this if we could get Apple to accept a change and provide a new binary in later releases.
    http://bugreport.apple.com/ is probably the best place to start. I guess, raise a bug and include the details of your fix.
    05-13-09 02:51 PM
    Okay I am having trouble here, I have followed the instructions exactly both on 10.5.6 and now on 10.5.7 however when I try to connect via bluetooth I am not receiving the message about running the new binary. Can I just clarify you guys are all connecting via OSX network preferences pane, via bluetooth using a Blackberry 3G modem script and using your access point name as the phone number?? No joy for me still getting a PPP error upon attempting to connect. MBP 10.5.7 Bold with latest Orange UK firmware. Any help appreciated really need to get this working. Many thanks.
    05-13-09 08:58 PM
    To see if you are running my hacked up version, you can query the version:

[setera@seteramac] ~ $ sudo pppd --version
    pppd version 2.4.2 (Apple version 314) - Hacked

Note that my version has the "- Hacked" string added to the version. If you aren't seeing this, then things are not set up quite right.
    Last edited by csete; 05-15-09 at 07:38 AM.
    05-15-09 06:07 AM
    confirmed. working here with .266 and macbook pro unibody 10.5.7.

more power to you guys!!
    05-18-09 09:58 PM
    I am not able to ese terminal. Is there a patch that I copy and paste somewhere?
    05-21-09 06:29 AM
    I'm sorry, but there is not. If you can't use terminal, I would not suggest that you make this change. I do not want to be responsible for breaking your installation.
    05-21-09 01:39 PM
    Ok. I want to understand why my 8800 works with Mac but my 9000 doesn't work with Mac. It seem to be a problem for Blackberry and not for mac!?! D
    05-22-09 02:03 AM
    Do you think is it possible that blackberry new OS for blackberry will solve the problem,
    05-22-09 02:06 AM
    Do you think is it possible that blackberry new OS for blackberry will solve the problem,
    None of the 4.6.0.2xx releases work correctly with the bold. I can atest for 5.x as I have no personally tried it.
    05-22-09 04:32 AM
    Do you think is it possible that in a new blackberry software upgrade the problem will be fixed? For example with 266?
    05-22-09 07:06 AM
    According to other forums on this site, the 5.x release doesn't solve this problem. I agree that it appears to be something caused by the BlackBerry firmware, but that is not something I know how to deal with. I'm a problem-solver, so I only looked for a solution that I could implement without help from RIM or others. I have been in contact with my support contacts at RIM and they are (hopefully) having a look at the issue on their end. With that said, I have to imagine that that will be slow going.

At the moment, I'm trying to create a cleaner patch to the Mac pppd that I can submit to Apple in hopes that they will include it in the future. Again, I don't expect that to be a quick thing, if they are even willing to accept it.
    05-22-09 03:10 PM
    that is probably the only "good" way to go. Though my hacked binary does the trick, it's of course cleaner to stay with csete's outstanding work.
    Anyways, we're saved with our custom pppds
    For what I've read on this site, the 5.x releases are even worse at supporting mac ppp, so I doubt it will get fixed soon.
    I'm still wondering which one - Apple or RIM - will officially fix the issue first (or will it stay b0rked forever?)
    Cheers
    05-22-09 04:43 PM
    Well. So I must follow all the step you wrote: I have download pppd.zip file. And now? I need someone who help me with this file. I am not very familiar with terminal but I think to be able to follow You step by step. Thank you for Your Help
    05-23-09 09:37 AM
    Everyone,

I have created a bug report for Apple and attached a patch for this bug that adds a new configurable parameter. The bug ID for this bug is 6917800. If you happen to have an Apple account (or feel like creating one), please add any further comments (or pleas) to the bug to see if we can push this thing along.

Craig
    05-23-09 01:12 PM
    the steps were already posted a few pages back.

oh, it also works with my GF's Bold with 4.6.0.266 on MacBook (pre-Unibody) 10.5.7 using Digitel Philippines (Sun Cellular). It also works for me with .266, OS X 10.5.7 MBPuni on Globe Telecom Philippines.
    05-24-09 01:15 AM
    where? I only get the file but i'm not able yo use with terminal
    05-25-09 07:42 AM
    post number 139 tells you exactly what to type in terminal. If you dont understand it, I'd highly recommend not attempting it. If you shag up the OS, dont blame us....
    05-25-09 11:58 AM
    Everyone,

I have now made an installable package available... please read on.

I have gone well beyond where I had planned to go with this solution. Since it was already working for me and others, I had planned to stop there. With that said, it became apparent that there are others that would like to take advantage of this solution that are not quite as terminal savvy. Therefore, I have gone ahead and packaged this up in an installable package. All of the information can be found on my web site at BlackBerry Bold PPPD Replacement .

I need to caution people about this. I have never before done most of the things that I have done for this solution on a Mac... the new binary, the installable package, etc. are all new to me. Please heed the warnings on this installation and understand that I can offer zero guarantees or support for this package. If it works for you, that is great. If it craters your machine, I'm sorry, but I won't guarantee that anything can done to recover your machine. This package has been "tested" (if you can really call it that) by tomte and myself. That is it. That is an extremely small test and I don't know if there are other considerations that may cause this to fail.

I apologize if this all sounds very fatal. I also apologize for the *many* warning within the installable package. With that said, I recognize that many users of this forum may not be comfortable with resolving issues on their machine if something breaks. I further recognize that this is something I have very little time for. With all of that said, I do hope that it works for people that are having trouble.

Good Luck!
    Craig
    05-25-09 08:10 PM
    GREAT!!! This work for my mac intel based

I try it in a mac power pc and it doesn't work. Fortunately I follow the unistaller step and so all is ok.

Why your patch doesn't work with mac power pc?
    Are you going to create another patch for it?
    Thank you
    05-26-09 08:03 AM
238 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD