Hey everyone!

I have been wondering for quite some time (but it just hit me that I could ask on here) if there was a way to tether my Blackberry 9700 to my computer to use 3G for wifi when I'm not in range of any hotspots.

I know there's an app called Tether, but quite honestly, I don't want to pay $60 for it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    12-15-10 03:19 AM
    Tether is a app you need to catch on sale. The new DM you can tether. @ the bottom of the page on left side.
    12-15-10 03:40 AM
    You can get Tether on sale or use DM. I will tell you though, it depends on your carrier. I was using DM and my carrier shut off my data as I didn't subscribe to their modem plan. To each their own, but I got Tether on sale for $19 and it uses data in the mobile format so that the packets are smaller. I'm on Tether every night for 2-3 hours and I've only ever gotten up to 2gb a month on my usage.
    12-15-10 08:45 AM
    Scuebydue can I ask what carrier you have? (I'm on the wap forums so I can't see it)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 10:25 AM
    I have US Cellular. But can confirm a friend with Vzw and one with at&t also had their service disconnected. Maybe its the amount of data they had. If you just check email, you may be fine using DM tethering.
    12-15-10 10:34 AM
    Tether is a app you need to catch on sale. The new DM you can tether. @ the bottom of the page on left side.
    What is "the new DM"?
    12-15-10 11:55 AM
    What is "the new DM"?
    The new DM allows ur device to be tethered to your computer because it is recognized by your computer to be a "modem" or simply just a network that you can connect to. - tethered my bb to my computer and I found a link on the internet that teaches you how to. I will get back to you when I find that tether tutorial.

12-15-10 12:29 PM
    i have the bold 9780,
    with the blackberry social plan without data,
    connected my blackberry to my laptop through the desktop manager and it seems to connect to the internet with no problem.
    I have been tethering a little every month to check and see if the data usage would show up on my monthly phone bill but nothing comes up....
    hmmmmm

is this true?
    04-05-11 05:03 PM
    A lot of the Serice Providers now charge a monthly fee for tethering.
    04-05-11 05:28 PM
    A lot of the Serice Providers now charge a monthly fee for tethering.
    AT&T has even started tracking down users using various tethering methods without paying for it, as covered here.

I'd be interested in how they're determining who is using tethering or not. I wouldn't imagine it could just be by data usage.
    04-05-11 05:37 PM
    AT&T has even started tracking down users using various tethering methods without paying for it, as covered here.

I'd be interested in how they're determining who is using tethering or not. I wouldn't imagine it could just be by data usage.
    On a BlackBerry, tethering comes and goes from the phone on a specific IP port. This makes it really easy for carriers such as AT&T (who may well buy T-Mobile) to detect tethering.

Desktop Manager uses the defined tethering IP port as well so even though it is a free solution, you will probably get charged fairly soon.

The big advantage of the app Tether is that it ises the same IP port as the BlackBerry browser. This makes it much harder for a carrier to detect tethering usage. Of course if you download several Gb a day using then they will wake up and charge you but if, like me you only use it occasionally then you should slip under the wire.

Mainly AT&T is trying to catch all the iPhone users who are tethering without paying for the privilege.
    04-05-11 05:55 PM
    On a BlackBerry, tethering comes and goes from the phone on a specific IP port. This makes it really easy for carriers such as AT&T (who may well buy T-Mobile) to detect tethering.

Desktop Manager uses the defined tethering IP port as well so even though it is a free solution, you will probably get charged fairly soon.

The big advantage of the app Tether is that it ises the same IP port as the BlackBerry browser. This makes it much harder for a carrier to detect tethering usage. Of course if you download several Gb a day using then they will wake up and charge you but if, like me you only use it occasionally then you should slip under the wire.

Mainly AT&T is trying to catch all the iPhone users who are tethering without paying for the privilege.
    I understand that tethering via DM would be easier to track, but as you said I don't think those are necessarily the users AT&T is really trying to get after. I figure they can't use just raw usage since I know quite a few people who use their phones (not even tethered) to download .iso files and other large content to their SD card while on the go, and then transfer it to a PC later.
    04-05-11 07:51 PM
    The Tether App is the way to go, it's WELL worth the money especially if you can get it for half price, and they run that deal several times a year.

Also Fixmo is working on a tether app called Fixmo Extended, which will have a free version with a limited amount of MBs a month (probably 100MBs) or unlimited for an as of yet un determined fee.
    04-05-11 08:07 PM
    I would like to see a savvy dev make a tether app and actually charge what its worth for legit use. About $4.99.

04-05-11 08:57 PM
    I would like to see a savvy dev make a tether app and actually charge what its worth for legit use. About $4.99.

Good Luck on that one.
    04-05-11 10:17 PM
    T-Mobile started blocking tethering first, BTW. Seems like some people are sort of targetting AT&T, but tethering is a huge issue for all carriers and lots of users do it without a tethering plan and the sum of them really degrades service quality for the rest of us.

With WiFi tethering it's gotten worse because if you have a 4G phone and live in a rural area oftentimes your phone's 3G/4G connection is 3-10x faster than your internet connection... So some people just put their phone on a wall charger, turn on WiFi tethering and use that... (I've seen it in action)...
    04-05-11 11:22 PM
    I am on T-Mobile and can tether my 9700 at work no problem but at home it has been failing. At home I connect through a T-Mobile router, I wonder if it's easier for them to track and block me.
    04-06-11 06:31 AM
    I understand that tethering via DM would be easier to track, but as you said I don't think those are necessarily the users AT&T is really trying to get after. I figure they can't use just raw usage since I know quite a few people who use their phones (not even tethered) to download .iso files and other large content to their SD card while on the go, and then transfer it to a PC later.
    Here's what I based my comments about AT&T on AT&T tells customers using unauthorized tethering methods to pay up or stop (update) -- Engadget
    04-06-11 04:26 PM
    The Tether App is the way to go, it's WELL worth the money especially if you can get it for half price, and they run that deal several times a year.

Also Fixmo is working on a tether app called Fixmo Extended, which will have a free version with a limited amount of MBs a month (probably 100MBs) or unlimited for an as of yet un determined fee.
    I agree. Tether is well worth the money. It simply works.
    04-06-11 04:28 PM

And these people would pay their mortgages how...?
    04-06-11 04:29 PM
    Let's all be real about the situation. Tether costs $50 because it allows you to steal service that the rest of us pay for on certain carriers. Discussion of such action violates the forums TOS. See the new (refresh) post on the site rules under the "keep it legal" section. If tether used on certain carriers isn't a "workaround to avoid paying a fee" then I don't know what is. But as long as this site is collecting big comissions from the sale of the app, everyone seems to ignore the violation.

04-06-11 04:35 PM
    Let's all be real about the situation. Tether costs $50 because it allows you to steal service that the rest of us pay for on certain carriers. Discussion of such action violates the forums TOS. See the new (refresh) post on the site rules under the "keep it legal" section. If tether used on certain carriers isn't a "workaround to avoid paying a fee" then I don't know what is. But as long as this site is collecting big comissions from the sale of the app, everyone seems to ignore the violation.

Tether simply uses the same IP port as the built-in BlackBerry browser. It has done this from the start BEFORE many carriers started supplementary charging for Tethering.

Tether has never been a cheap app but it has always worked perfectly (well except for one release that had a problem).

Carriers can still easily detect tethring activity on a BlackBerry in the same way they can detect in on a iPhone or an Android device.

The defined tethering IP port on a BlackBerry is there simply because RIM was organised about the way in which they defined network service activities. Was this at the request od carriers? I doubt it because iOS and Android (newer OSs) do not do this so, I think that was entirely RIM's doing.

As to your accusation that discussion of Tether violates CrackBerry's TOS, I think there is something drastically wrong with the way you are looking at the world. Sorry.
    04-06-11 04:58 PM
    Is or is not tether a "workaround" when used on Verizon? Simple question, but I bet we see you dance around the answer.

04-06-11 06:09 PM
    Umm... yeah... If you go back my first post in this thread I had linked to the same article.
    04-06-11 06:42 PM
    Is or is not tether a "workaround" when used on Verizon? Simple question, but I bet we see you dance around the answer.

I have two left feet when asked to dance.

So without dancing, my answer is.... NO.

I have a fuller answer but you will just say that I am trying to dance and I do not do that on CrackBerry.
    04-06-11 06:57 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD