Currently en-route from DC to LA on a Virgin Atlantic flight, using the in flight wifi on my VZW 9650. Can't get Tether running though in an attempt to share the connection with my laptop. Keep getting the message on my bb "Tether failed to find an available port." Pretty sure its an issue with the wifi up here since I've never had an issue with the Tether app/laptop on the ground. Any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 07:06 PM
    This may be no help to you in the air, but here's what Tether's FAQ says about that message:
    Failed to Find Available Port
    This error means your APN settings are not set or wrong. Please visit the following website: APN Settings | Tether
    08-24-10 07:11 PM
    Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply. I too saw that part in the FAQ about the APN settings, but haven't had much luck playing with them. From what I read elsewhere they really don't apply to Vzw users who are in using their devices in the US.

08-24-10 07:27 PM
    I'm sorry for asking cause it might be a dumb question...

But why not just use the laptop to connect to the plane's wifi? Does it not have access to it or is blocked or something?
    08-24-10 07:39 PM
    Yes, I see the APN info doesn't appear to apply to CDMA devices. I use Tether with my Verizon Tour and laptop, but I can't test wifi. Is there any reason you don't just connect your laptop to the in-flight wifi directly?
    08-24-10 07:40 PM
    The thing is you can only use one device at a time per wifi account (unless you care to spend double by creating 2 accounts, which I don't). I just like to be super-tasking while I can (read: keeping up on bbm) but this forces me to choose laptop or berry. The whole reason I bought Tether was to avoid paying twice for my data and I wish it was working because this is a great usage scenario.

08-24-10 07:58 PM
    The thing is you can only use one device at a time per wifi account...
    Perhaps that explains the error you are getting. The in-flight wifi may be confused by your attempting to use two devices through one connection.
    08-24-10 08:07 PM
    Here's what I am wondering.

When you are are at home, are you able to pass the data signal from a WiFi source through your BlackBerry through Tether to your laptop?

I thought the way that Tether worked was that it connected to your wireless (ie network) data connection and passed that through the USB (or Bluetooth) to the laptop.

I would be surprised if it has the ability to pass a WiFi internet connection through the BlackBerry. I could be wrong though.

To the OP, have you tested this prior to being on the plane with a regular WiFi connection? Just curious.
    08-24-10 08:13 PM
    Just got word from Tether support that Tether does not support tethering over wifi, hence the issue I was experiencing - you were correct in your assumption Motorcycle Mama. Too bad, I would imagine it would be relatively painless to implement since all it would require is a basic NAT framework.
    08-25-10 12:58 PM
    hey quick question. i may warn u this might be stupid but i just DWLd and installed tether. the speed on my PC will depend on the signal of my device right? or no?
    08-25-10 01:05 PM
    Yea, with Tether you are at the mercy of your device's data connection

08-25-10 01:08 PM
    ok cool.....thank you
    08-25-10 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD