Hi peeps,

I figured I would post this since I have seen from searching many forums that people are struggling with the 'Tether' application available on Blackberry App World both in general and through their 3G data plan (as have I until today). When they have downloaded the app on their computer / Blackberry and connected everything up - the Tether app will give a message to the effect of 'failed to find an available port' and they cannot connect to the net on their computer.

Each mobile network has a different 'APN' (Access Point Name) setting which needs to be entered on your blackberry manually before the Tether app can find a port (unless for some reason your phone automatically had the settings out of the box). If you live in UK, please go to this link below to find your APN name:

Access Point Name (APN) settings for UK mobile network providers. - ZTE Blade / Libra - Blade.MoDaCo.com - MoDaCo
    (unfortunately I do not have any links for APN settings in other countries so those not living in the UK will need to do a quick google search)

As a guide, my APN is orangeinternet

Find yours then open up Settings on your Blackberry > Device > Advanced System Settings > TCP IP

You will then need to make sure the box next to 'APN settings enabled' is ticked. Then just enter your APN underneath where it says 'APN:' literally write using your keyboard (for me it was 'orangeinternet'). This was all I did for everything to start working, I did not need to tick anything else below or enter any further text for passwords / user names. I just exited back and saved. Done.

My Tether app is now utilising my 3G connection (which I can only assume is coming from my normal BIS data plan as it would on the Blackberry).

IMPORTANT!
    Also, make sure to set your Blackberry to 3G/2G only in your network settings and turn off Wifi to avoid any conflict when trying to connect through Tether (disconnect your computer from any Wifi connection also).

I am relieved to have finally sorted this for myself as I recently found out that Orange PAYG customers like me cannot use the Mobile Hotspot wifi feature.

I hope this helps some folks
    11-08-12 11:18 AM