I actually wasn't being sarcastic. I like hearing about different platforms. I've been off CrackBerry for 6 months and just popped in to see what is new with BlackBerry. Good to meet you and I'll be back in 2012 check out QNX!

08-28-11 08:07 PM
    forgive my ignorance but I notice I got "thanked" somewhere. Does it say somewhere in my profile who thanked me? Whoever it was, you're welcome!

Yep, talking phones is a blast isn't it?
    08-28-11 08:09 PM
    Advantages of BlackBerry:

1. Battery life (come one find me a phone that does better!)
    2. simple, resource friendly OS (RIM sticks with a format that has worked over a decade)
    3. decent app support (Pandora, Shazam, Facebook and such work on BlackBerry well)

Advantages of iPhone:
    1. cool looking
    2. superior app support (in addition to the listed above you get more including Star Trek themes, more games like Angry Birds and other toys)

3. GPS Google Maps does not need constant phone network to use the GPS feature.

Advantages of Android:

1. Live Wallpapers and that awesome-looking weather widget
    2. FREE Angry Birds among other games
    3. decent battery life (Kyros gets ~8 hours playing music all day)
    4. FREE to use, you can download Android to a live CDROM and use it on any platform if you like

Disadvantages of BlackBerry:

1. dated looking (i kinda like it being retro myself but ok)
    2. lacking app support that even Droid and iOS has had for years
    3. app updates don't come as fast
    4. App world lacks freebies, pay for many of what is free on iOS or Droid OS
    5. needs decent mobile network coverage to use App World. iOS and Droid work on wifi-only. also GPS needs mobile coverage to geotrack

Disadvantages of iPhone:

1. Apple locks it down, needing iTunes to transfer music which means you need a Windows-Based PC. sorry, Linux!

2. Battery life is a bit lacking
    3. bugs. iPhones sometimes randomly lose wifi and you need to reboot often
    4. 'Temperature warning' (google it)
    5. not easily repaired, but you can get free replacements if you lie to the carrier!
    6. 'face hits mute button' (using otterbox/afermarket cases)

Disadvantages of Android:

1. still unstable even after a few upgrades. lock screen freezes, slow, and the infamous wifi connect issue still exists on some devices

2. multitasking can slow or lag a phone. OS needs a lot of power from the CPU
    3. Android Market not available out of the box on some devices, (tablets mainly come with the dumbed down Appslib)
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 08-28-11 at 08:13 PM.
    08-28-11 08:10 PM
    i say get the device.. you get 14-30 days to return it..

simple as that..
    08-28-11 10:52 PM
    Android has actually come a long.way from when I was using older devices in the.1.6 software. I am currently.rocking 2.2 on a mytouch4g and it is an amazing experience thus far. (Only been a few weeks so far, but impressed!)

It pains me to agree with Chrissy as she has hated on bb devices for quite sometme now, however I am with her on not experiencing those problems others have mentioned in this thread.

Things I do miss from my 9700 (which I still have and is being used.)
    :Battery life- I could get through a whole day and have 50% battery life left before throwing it on a charger and I was quite heavy on it.
    :Physical keyboard-When I first got this mutouch4g it was painful to type on stock kb. I have found better ones to ease the pain, but still nothing like that.great.physical KB from BB. Swype, forget about it, lol!
    :Compressed data-I have a 5g limit on my data plan, which should be enough, but I a
    Pushing it and I am on wifi a lot! I don't even teather either. On my bb, i would be at most 500mb. I use them about the same honestly.

Besides that loving my mytouch! Much better than my 3g mytouch I had in the day.

Still may consider an os7 device. Liking the direction they are heading.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 11:00 PM
    See what I mean about the keyboard lol! Love the random periods it puts in!

08-28-11 11:02 PM

Disadvantages of iPhone:

1. Apple locks it down, needing iTunes to transfer music which means you need a Windows-Based PC. sorry, Linux!
    HEY!, Yes your correct you CAN use a windows based PC, but lets not forget the OS that iTunes was created for... Mac OSX.
    08-29-11 12:10 AM
    I didn't see a mention of an answer to Chrisy's question, Re: What happened to the Storm 3//Monaco?

It became the Torch 9850/60, and is going into release in this upcoming week.

And to be fair, Tour was a win/lose device. Some were good, some sucked Jefsweat. It was released as an incomplete, underpowered device.

Comparing it to a BlackBerry Bold Touch is like comparing a 78 Fiesta to the current lineup.

08-29-11 12:11 AM
    If you honestly want to switch phones it's either Android or BlackBerry in my eyes. iOS is a joke of an OS in my opinion. The phone makes you go to new text messages regardless of what you're doing. You're typing an important e-mail and you're suddenly dragged to a new text message. How is that productive when the phone tells you what to do? Android is nice as they actually have apps to improve the phone unlock the Iphone. But, BlackBerry has the best keyboard, notification system, and battery life. ((Even with the new smaller battery))

You could hold out for the QNX phones but, if you need a phone for messaging I don't see any better alternative than a BlackBerry. They just do it the best period.
    08-29-11 06:06 AM
    Tried other platforms but the only one I really love is BB.

OP - someone said it....try the phone. Waiting for the QNX phones may be a frustrating wait, since we don't know when they will release.

Frankly, don't pay attention to either people like me who love the platform or bitter angry ones who can't seem to leave those of us who love the devices alone. Only you know what you need and what you like.

I chose not to wait for QNX phones. My 9810 is an awesome device for me. Loving it.
    08-29-11 06:16 AM
    If you honestly want to switch phones it's either Android or BlackBerry in my eyes. iOS is a joke of an OS in my opinion. The phone makes you go to new text messages regardless of what you're doing. You're typing an important e-mail and you're suddenly dragged to a new text message. How is that productive when the phone tells you what to do? Android is nice as they actually have apps to improve the phone unlock the Iphone. But, BlackBerry has the best keyboard, notification system, and battery life. ((Even with the new smaller battery))

You could hold out for the QNX phones but, if you need a phone for messaging I don't see any better alternative than a BlackBerry. They just do it the best period.
    How is iOS a joke solely on how it handles text messages? Does stability, UI, app support, etc. not fit into your consideration? It pops up a small screen when you get a text, and you get two options - view or close. It doesn't shoot you over to the message and away from what you were doing. And sure, I will concede the notification system leaves something to be desired, but hopefully that will be fixed on iOS 5.

08-29-11 06:28 AM
    I didn't see a mention of an answer to Chrisy's question, Re: What happened to the Storm 3//Monaco?

It became the Torch 9850/60, and is going into release in this upcoming week.

And to be fair, Tour was a win/lose device. Some were good, some sucked Jefsweat. It was released as an incomplete, underpowered device.

Comparing it to a BlackBerry Bold Touch is like comparing a 78 Fiesta to the current lineup.

Thanks for the info. Too bad about the S3. I was looking forward to a full touchscreen BlackBerry. It's what I was waiting for before I switched. Never wanted a Storm because of the screen click.

The Bold Touch would have been a great replacement for my 8330 when I still liked using keyboards. If I hadn't gone to Andrpid, and the Bold Touch was out instead of the Tour 2 I probably would have gotten that one. It looks nice. The browser is smooth but I am now spoiled by a large screen and cannot go back. The Bold Touch requires too much zooming in and then scrolling.

I am hoping the QNX BlackBerry phones are Playbook with full functionality in a smaller package. A 4-4.5 screen would be nice.

I'll keep checking back with BlackBerry to see what is new.

08-29-11 06:49 AM
    Thanks for the info. Too bad about the S3. I was looking forward to a full touchscreen BlackBerry. It's what I was waiting for before I switched. Never wanted a Storm because of the screen click.

The Bold Touch would have been a great replacement for my 8330 when I still liked using keyboards. If I hadn't gone to Andrpid, and the Bold Touch was out instead of the Tour 2 I probably would have gotten that one. It looks nice. The browser is smooth but I am now spoiled by a large screen and cannot go back. The Bold Touch requires too much zooming in and then scrolling.

I am hoping the QNX BlackBerry phones are Playbook with full functionality in a smaller package. A 4-4.5 screen would be nice.

I'll keep checking back with BlackBerry to see what is new.

the torch 9860 IS the storm 3, it's full touch.. rim just loves to mess up their naming scheme (the bold 9650?)

i'm curious have you actually tried the bold touch?
    08-29-11 07:43 AM
    Yes, true. Like the death of the Tour name. Wonder why they do that.

Awesome! Full touchscreen is what I prefer. Yes, I have. But only after I had my Android. Otherwise the small screen wouldn't bother me so much. The thing is I do video chatting and watch YouTube videos with my friends amd family that are spread out in the county. I like The ability to have that face to face connection.

I'm glad the sure press is gone from the Storm line! Hopefully a FFC will be added in the next model too. Really, when I was ready to upgrade from the Tour I wanted a bigger screen. The Torch would have done it for me. It's just timing, like most things.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 08-29-11 at 07:54 AM.
    08-29-11 07:51 AM
    You have to expect that from a BlackBerry fan site. The funny thing is, on sites like Phandroid there is no mention of BlackBerry. Only threads saying they switched from.

I like comparing platforms, but it is hard to do here! It's the same mantra over and over, All other phones are toys. Strange.

Anyway, Blackberry is still in the game and hopefully they speed things up a bit. If I switched to a Bold Touch or upcoming Torch I would be downgrading at this time.

It's hard to lose features once you're accustomed to having them (FFC, Flash, Netflix,). BlackBerry doesn't offer anything right now that other devices do.

When is the Full Touchscreen Torch to be released on VZW?
    08-29-11 08:06 AM
    You have to expect that from a BlackBerry fan site. The funny thing is, on sites like Phandroid there is no mention of BlackBerry. Only threads saying they switched from.

I like comparing platforms, but it is hard to do here! It's the same mantra over and over, All other phones are toys. Strange.

Anyway, Blackberry is still in the game and hopefully they speed things up a bit. If I switched to a Bold Touch or upcoming Torch I would be downgrading at this time.

It's hard to lose features once you're accustomed to having them (FFC, Flash, Netflix,). BlackBerry doesn't offer anything right now that other devices do.

When is the Full Touchscreen Torch to be released on VZW?
    That Mantra that other phones are toys is far less here since the clean up,
    All platforms offer compelling reasons for users to want them, there is no Best Platform as you have the combination of OS, Hardware, and EcoSystem to contend with, no one player does all 3 better than any other player offering a breath of selection for the consumers.

CrackBerry is still one of the most loosely moderated forums and is filled with people like you, who once loved their BlackBerry but through disappointing releases developed a distaste and found other devices but you continue to return, When you go to the other forums threads disappear much quicker, moderation is more strictly applied, AND CrackBerry is so inviting that there is little reason for someone who left an Android device to go to an Android forum and talk about their switch, they come to CrackBerry and help out Android user base find what they need, and help the new BlackBerry users with their experience in making the switch.

As a CrackBerry user it is expected that you once sought help or had a love of something BlackBerry, and this site is to encourage and foster the love of BlackBerry, as a former user help with problems pertaining to your old device, comparisons of feature sets, when requested, and helping in forums set up for former BlackBerry now converts is greatly appreciated,
    But Openly bashing a product that those who come here like/love/use and then looking down at the people who defend it is not helping the community.

The Rumors are still not clear when Verizon will get the Torch device, the hope for the Storm users is it happens soon.

I would say that moving to an OS7 BlackBerry form your Thunder Bolt wouldn't be a downgrade, but a lateral move rather than an upgrade, though you'd be missing the features you require so thankfully you have the choice to not be using a BlackBerry.
    For people who require a Keyboard The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is the BEST device on the market hands down. even the detractors and BlackBerry hating press can't deny it and give the keyboard an off positive remark when complaining about the screen size, like Every Phone needs a Full screen.

I encourage you to return to CrackBerry in December if you don't plan to become a regular again, December should be FULL of rumors about QNX devices, and hopefully some quality leaks,
    I suspect if Rumors about the First QNX device being RIM's attempt at a Superphone are true, you will be excited to get a BlackBerry again, assuming Google doesn't assimilate you into requiring all of there services integrated into your phone
    Chrisy and BB2Go like this.
    08-29-11 09:58 AM
    Just do it. OS7 rocks on my friends phone, actually its simply crucifies my torch 9800.
    BB2Go likes this.
    08-29-11 01:24 PM
    Well put deRusett! It all depends what you use an item for. I have an uncle that rocks an iPhone for his business and is really happy with it. He has no additional apps installed, doesn't surf on it and just uses it for phone/txt/email. The complete KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle and it works for him. He claims to get several days per charge, and it's a 3GS.

It's funny but some products seem to require justification that you actually get work done with them. I used to run an Atari 1040ST computer and did a lot with it. No games but a lot of graphic work for my business. Had a BBS running off it (remember those?) and a word pro and spreadsheet and really got a lot of work done on it. But every time someone heard "Atari" it was only a gaming computer to them and I had to justify it. I got a little tired of that, got myself an ibm clone (that's what they were called) and people stopped calling my computer a gaming console.

The blackberry is like that old IBM PC; people just assume you don't screw around and have work to get done! <-why do some think this is a bad thing?

The iPhone and Androids have a different image and many assume since they have the great graphics with awesome screens and processors, the user must play a lot on it, or that's why they switched, to play a little more. That was partially the case with me, and now I'm trying to remove some of that temptation and get back to work as it were!
    08-29-11 02:05 PM
    My god, I am glad to have found this site!! You all are SOOO helpful!

What model do you suggest as THE best new BlackBerry model? We are getting twoo new ones as our contract is up in a few more days. Been lurking on here a while and decided to chime in....

Thanks!
    08-29-11 03:14 PM
    my dealer got the 9810 (Torch) in, no Bolds yet. I know the torch as it was my last BB and was pretty good.

Anyone own both or even one for a while then traded to the other?

Thanks for all the feedback!
    08-29-11 03:17 PM
    welcome rfo2011!
    08-29-11 03:18 PM
    How is iOS a joke solely on how it handles text messages? Does stability, UI, app support, etc. not fit into your consideration? It pops up a small screen when you get a text, and you get two options - view or close. It doesn't shoot you over to the message and away from what you were doing. And sure, I will concede the notification system leaves something to be desired, but hopefully that will be fixed on iOS 5.

SMS and email in the same inbox - Loved that about the berry. And the Forward As feature. Foward those big txts some send into an email and resume on the desktop, great time savers!
    08-29-11 03:22 PM
    My god, I am glad to have found this site!! You all are SOOO helpful!

What model do you suggest as THE best new BlackBerry model? We are getting twoo new ones as our contract is up in a few more days. Been lurking on here a while and decided to chime in....

Thanks!
    There is no BEST new BlackBerry since we don't know your preferences
    For ME the Best one is the 9900
    But if Chrissy never went to Andriod she'd be Rocking a 9850 I bet and saying it is the best

08-29-11 03:50 PM
    I still love my Curve, enough to keep it as long as I had my 5185i if it lasts. at least it LOOKS like a Blackberry with the familiar iconic form factor. Simple OS. LACKING a touchscreen is a good thing IMO as I hated looking through smudges. Easier to type long posts with it. Those touch BBs to me look like a sellout. An insult as they attempt to look like iPhones and Androids. Really, RIM? Stick to what has worked for a decade!

08-29-11 10:31 PM
    im new just made an account in confused
    08-30-11 12:01 AM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD