I just got the storm from telus, i updated to newest software, as soon as i got it i tested the gps with the bbmaps included
    it locked onto 10 satellite in under a minute. so i charged it and tried it again, i can't locate and lock on to satellite anymore.

I tried pulling the battery and also the settings in gps and location is on

I also had similar problem with the htc touch pro , i would be able to conenct to gps as soon as they activated the phone but after
    its charged or after couple hours, it wouldn't work. but once in a while it might lock on to a satellite.

any help would be appriciated. it doesn't look like they disabled the gps but i donno if there r some settings or conflicts

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by nwgtr; 03-08-09 at 11:40 PM.
    03-08-09 11:35 PM
    03-08-09 11:51 PM
    thx, yea i did find that thread, just wondering if other people having the same problem and if that fix would actually fix.

I guess i have to try that fix now. was just making sure all the simple solutions have been found first.

i will post back and see if it works
    03-09-09 12:00 AM
    Hey

i too am with Telus, and the BBmaps and sat. lock is hit and miss.
    earlier today it locked in like 3 seconds, now, not at all.

let me know how that 'fix' works out.
    btw, what os?? i am using the leaked .109
    03-09-09 12:35 AM
    well i just got the phone today so i'm like a newbie spending long hours reading forums

i just did the fix and it's awesome, google map still doesn't work for some reason because i think it's just for storm since the google map doesn't even have the option to turn on gps.

i had the htc touch pro and it has an option to turn it on or off.

but bbmaps works great, locked on to 6 inside my house within seconds.

now i know it was stupid telus all along, when i talked to the techs they either donno jack or don't want anyone to know so we all pay $10 for their navigation

what is the advantage of running the leaked? is it just that you get the newer os before it comes out so i guess more fixes?
    03-09-09 01:18 AM
    well i just got the phone today so i'm like a newbie spending long hours reading forums

i just did the fix and it's awesome, google map still doesn't work for some reason because i think it's just for storm since the google map doesn't even have the option to turn on gps.

i had the htc touch pro and it has an option to turn it on or off.

but bbmaps works great, locked on to 6 inside my house within seconds.

now i know it was stupid telus all along, when i talked to the techs they either donno jack or don't want anyone to know so we all pay $10 for their navigation

what is the advantage of running the leaked? is it just that you get the newer os before it comes out so i guess more fixes?
    If this is your first blackberry I would recommend getting used to the phone and how the operating system works. It has it's similarities to WinMo but at the same time it is completely different. Read the tips & tricks forum and the BB101 forum there is a ton of information about these phone and it will take months to learn about them. I am going on a year using blackberrys and I still learn something new just about every week on these phones.
    03-09-09 02:09 AM
    oh ok, thx

whoa it takes that long to learn how to use the BB
    03-09-09 03:39 PM
    oh ok, thx

whoa it takes that long to learn how to use the BB
    Yeah. The OS is startlingly complex and the included information is near non-existant. I would suggest looking up tips and trick videos as well as checking the forums for tips and tricks. There are a few things like editing text that were very unexpected to me. (click on text to select, then hover your finger over another area on the screen for a few seconds and the cursor will turn hollow and allow you to move it around)

As far as the GPS lock goes, I had the same issue. The BBMaps GPS lock is really flaky and works one day and not the other. With the GPS fix applied to my Telus Storm I still do not get GPS lock through Google Maps, though Google has stated they are aware of this problem and a fix is in the works.
    03-09-09 04:00 PM
    Consider yourself "lucky" if you can call it that. At least you got a lock at one point. I never got any satellite lock. EVER. I'm with Verizon though. Still. Same problem.
    03-09-09 04:05 PM
    Yeah. The OS is startlingly complex and the included information is near non-existant. I would suggest looking up tips and trick videos as well as checking the forums for tips and tricks. There are a few things like editing text that were very unexpected to me. (click on text to select, then hover your finger over another area on the screen for a few seconds and the cursor will turn hollow and allow you to move it around)

As far as the GPS lock goes, I had the same issue. The BBMaps GPS lock is really flaky and works one day and not the other. With the GPS fix applied to my Telus Storm I still do not get GPS lock through Google Maps, though Google has stated they are aware of this problem and a fix is in the works.
    well i kinda found a way to get gps to work in google maps. you have to use the poynt program then choose to use google maps instead of bbmaps.

google map is supposed to support gps but i donno why they didn't include the option to turn it on , whereas my windows mobile phone, the google map has an option.

that is the only reason why this would work because poynt support the option to use gps.
    03-09-09 04:07 PM
    I have had my storm for over a month and have never gotten a gps lock in google maps... only cell tower.
    03-11-09 12:36 PM
    Apparently the new BB Tour on Telus works with Google Maps Mobile 3.0.2.
    But it still doesn't work for the Storm on Telus???
    Anyone been able to get a Google Maps working on their storm yet?
    07-17-09 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD