What is better Telenav or Garmin?
    01-26-09 11:03 PM
    I have used both myself and I prefer Garmin. Not a whole lot of differences between the two really. The deal breaker for me came down to money. I assume Telenav is still a monthly subscription charge, not sure what it is now but Garmin is a one time fee of $100 and it is good for the life of the phone. So as long as you have that device you don't have to pay anymore. It really is just a matter of personal preference. I believe you can get a free trial of both I know you can Garmin not sure if Telenav still does or not.
    01-27-09 01:19 AM
    its 80 bucks now. i snagged it this weekend
    02-02-09 06:13 PM
    TeleNav for me. Good service is priceless...
    02-02-09 07:14 PM
    i have telenav. I had no idea you could get garmin on your BB. the one time price sounds like a good deal.
    02-02-09 07:25 PM
    Where did you get the $80 deal?
    02-03-09 11:04 PM
    it was on sale at garmins site this weekend for 79.99. its back up to 99.99 now
    02-04-09 06:12 AM
    I haven't used Garmin, but I use TeleNav a lot. One really nice feature that TeleNav has (not sure if Garmin does this) is the ability/option to DIM the screen until about 1 mile from turns.

This greatly reduces battery life on longer trips. TeleNav wakes up the screen when it checks for traffic and about 1 mile before any turn or intersection where you must make adjustments in your course.

I found that feature to be pretty unique.

JMHO
    02-04-09 08:11 AM
    I haven't used Garmin, but I use TeleNav a lot. One really nice feature that TeleNav has (not sure if Garmin does this) is the ability/option to DIM the screen until about 1 mile from turns.

This greatly reduces battery life on longer trips. TeleNav wakes up the screen when it checks for traffic and about 1 mile before any turn or intersection where you must make adjustments in your course.

I found that feature to be pretty unique.

JMHO
    Nice feature. I agree.
    02-04-09 08:12 AM
    I also like Garmin...The one time fee is great. I had it on my curve for about a year and then purchaced it again when I upgraded to my Bold. I hate monthly fees for something that should be free. Once you buy a regular GPS you do not have to pay a montly fee to use it.
    02-06-09 10:01 AM
    I haven't used Telenav, but I bought Garmin recently and really like it. Unlike AmAze, Telmap, and Nav4All, voice directions are not truncated on my 8330. However, I do have 2 criticisms.
    1. The female voice sounds annoyed if you fail to stop at your destination. She just isn't as friendly as the voice on Telmap.
    2. Occasionally, I will be told something like, "Continue for .8 miles," and two seconds later it says to turn left, which is the correct direction. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's annoying.
    All in all, Garmin is very good. I have no trouble finding satellites, unlike other gps programs. Also, it works with bluetooth as well as the internal gps.
    02-06-09 01:02 PM
    I haven't used Telenav, but I bought Garmin recently and really like it. Unlike AmAze, Telmap, and Nav4All, voice directions are not truncated on my 8330. However, I do have 2 criticisms.
    1. The female voice sounds annoyed if you fail to stop at your destination. She just isn't as friendly as the voice on Telmap.
    Maybe when she sounds like that it might just be here PMSing lol
    02-06-09 01:07 PM
    It is back on sale for $80.
    www8 . garmin . com/mobile/blackberry/bbtravel.jsp

Sorry, I cannot post URLs as I do not have 10 posts yet, so you will need to piece this link together by removing the 4 spaces.

I have not purchased it yet, as I stumbled upon this thread while doing research. I may try the trial to compare it to VZ Navigator.

BTW, I sent this note to Verizon today:

If VZNavigator is currently FREE to those with a "nationwide calling plan" then how can you justify charging $10 to people with the Blackberry Plan that also have the Verizon nationwide "in" calling plan? Is it just because you can't charge per KB for the data throughput because we are already paying an arm and a leg for unlimited data in your "unlimited internet" plan that does not include tethering or text messaging?

Money is tight and I cannot justify paying $10 per month for VZN when I can get "Garmin for Blackberry" for a one-time fee of $79. You guys really should rethink your policy on charging BB users for VZ Navigator.
    02-06-09 01:36 PM
    Telenav does not have the night time mode. changes the colors to dark one for night time.
    02-07-09 01:31 AM
    Tried Telenav, Mapquest Navigator and Garmin. Got rid of Telenav and kept the other two.
    02-07-09 07:38 AM
    Here is the response I got from Verizon re: the msg I sent (above). Essentially, their position seems to be "pay extra for VZ Navigator or give up your BB."
    Nice!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do apologize for the delay in response to your e-mail. My name is Craig, and I will be assisting you today.

Based on the information provided I can only assume that you are referencing the Nationwide Premium calling plan that would include access to VZ Navigator. As with some packages there are certain restrictions that will apply. Regrettably, PDA/Smartphones would be restricted from being on the Premium calling plans based on the data capability of the devices.

If you are needing the Navigator feature and not wanting to pay the access fee for the service you are more than welcome to change to the Premium program, however you would be required to change the equipment that you have on your account.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and share your feedback on the billing of VZ Navigator. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or feel your concerns are not resolved, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,
    Craig
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service
    02-09-09 12:27 PM
    I tried to get the garmin demo but it won't work with the 8350i.
    02-12-09 02:55 AM
    #13-Thanks for the link, I was able to download for $79.99 today.
    02-13-09 08:17 AM
    I purchased the Garmin download for $79.99 and have been using it on my Storm. It works well, but it drains my battery (even when plugged into the car charger) and makes the phone unusable afterwards. Is there something wrong, or is this normal and will I need to purchase a spare battery to use after Garmin use?
    03-12-09 12:45 PM
    I downloaded Garmin onto my Storm for $79.99 and have found it easy to use and efficient. The one problem is that it drains my battery (even when plugged into the car charger) and makes the unit unusable after the navigation. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?
    03-12-09 12:56 PM
    I haver used both a good bit and prefer TeleNav. I found the Garmin mapping UI cluncky and not real sharp, though i do like how you can access the features. I found TeleNav was more accurate and suggested more logical routes than Garmin. But they are both real good.

I would be interested to see if price was the same would people go to TeleNav?
    03-13-09 08:33 AM
    I've used Garmin but a free standing unit, not for BB. Didn't know they had it. Only used my new Telenav twice. 1st time fine. 2nd time lost GPS signal twice. This happen often? Still in my 30 day trial of it.
    03-13-09 01:49 PM
    I've used Garmin but a free standing unit, not for BB. Didn't know they had it. Only used my new Telenav twice. 1st time fine. 2nd time lost GPS signal twice. This happen often? Still in my 30 day trial of it.
    I onder how good of a GPS chip comes in the 8130 (I truly don't know). I use TeleNav with an external puck, and have never lost a signal.

It could have something to do with locale (skyscrapers and such).
    03-13-09 02:26 PM
    I have never tried TeleNav, but I use Garmin Mobile all the time on my 8830. It does a pretty good job of gettin ge where I need to go. There is only a couple of things I wish the Garmin software had:

- Software update notice/feature. v 5.02 is out now. I have 5.01, and the only way I can get updates is to contact their support team and have them send me a new download link.

- Travel statistics. Once I get to my destination, it would be nice to know how far I travelled, and how long it took. Nav4All does this.

- Bluetooth audio support. I can sync my BB to my car audio system via bluetooth. I can even sync my BB audio to my motorcycle's audio system, and listen to mp3s over the vehicle's speakers (or through my helmet). If I am running the Garmin software, it would be nice to hear the directions go over the speakers in my car, or in my helmet (on the bike, I can't hear any directions via Garmin Mobile).

About the only reason I still keep Nav4All around is that it does support bluetooth audio, so I can hear directions while riding my motorcyle. I don't need to look at maps while riding. Being able to hear through the helmet is a nice feature. I just wish Garmin had that in their software.
    03-13-09 02:31 PM
    Today Garmin Mobile routed me around a traffic jam for the first time, on a route I take every weekend. Garmin had me exit the interstate for 4 miles then get back on. Has anyone else gotten traffic detours on their software? IMO that makes the $80 lifetime fee totally worth it. (Disclaimer: unlike most CrackBerry addicts, I've never owned a phone less than 3 years.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 04:19 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD