I can't agree with you there Jake- I have two adult children and no way are they getting their grubby hands on MY Blackberry!
    But we do agree.
    My kids will never touch my BlackBerry either, but they can muck up the wife's iPhone all they want.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    10-16-11 01:32 AM
    To the person that mentioned Siri giving you audible reminders. Thats not how it works (someone correct me if im wrong). If you set a reminder to "pick up tampons" when that reminder is due it just pops up on your phone. THe phone doesnt say that out loud. And most that have used Siri say that it is a game changer and will only get better with time.

Just remember RIM didnt think much of the original iphone either and look where we are 4-5 years later. Dont look at the present look what Siri could be.
    It does not give you an audiable reminder, it simply puts it in your Reminders app and an alert tone goes off to remind you. So don't worry, you won't be embarrassed when your wife asks you to pick up tampons or birth control.
    10-16-11 07:34 AM
    They've been hating on Blackberry for a couple years now at least. The outage was just the latest catalyst to start it back up at full force. We've been hearing that RIM is doomed and the doors are closing any day now for at least a year, even when they were posting record growth. RIM needs to do better and react quicker, and if they do nothing but maintain the status quo they will eventually die, but the doors won't be closing soon.
    10-16-11 08:58 AM
    My 2 cents...?

I think the world in general would love to love RIM, but they've been shown-up by RIM's broken promises too often in the past and have become completely cynical of everything BB. Have RIM ever met a published deadline?, or released a product that included everything that was promised?

Eventually the press get fed-up with hyping RIM's latest and greatest... because it makes them (the press) look foolish when it doesn't deliver on the promise.

Add into the mix a marketing division that couldn't sell water in a drought, and a PR department that seems staffed with deaf mutes, and you can see why the bad news prevails.

The recent fiasco of a worldwide BIS outage that lasted several days is a case in point. RIM said nothing - for days!!! Customers were screaming at their service providers for news, and RIM said nothing beyond admitting to "issues".

When RIM did eventually break cover, it was to announce that service was restored... which was untrue. When service really was restored a day later, RIM's premature announcement squandered any goodwill that their fixing things might have generated.

I am continually struck by the irony of a Communications company that is apparently incapable of communication.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-16-11 at 10:28 AM.
    Chrisy and Invader3K like this.
    10-16-11 09:58 AM
    Yeah, not sure the 9900/9930 is on par with some Android devices and the iPhone in terms of speed and performance, but we can agree to disagree. I am glad you enjoy the device, and as long as a customer is happy that is all that matters. That being said, I also disagree that everyone says RIM is dead. A lot of us here at CB believe RIM is going to create quality products that many users will want. It is frustrating to read reports of purely negative nature from some news sources, but I choose to remain upbeat and have confidence in the company.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-16-11 10:53 AM
    Yeah, not sure the 9900/9930 is on par with some Android devices and the iPhone in terms of speed and performance, but we can agree to disagree. I am glad you enjoy the device, and as long as a customer is happy that is all that matters. That being said, I also disagree that everyone says RIM is dead. A lot of us here at CB believe RIM is going to create quality products that many users will want. It is frustrating to read reports of purely negative nature from some news sources, but I choose to remain upbeat and have confidence in the company.
    I'm leaning with you. I think RIM knows what they have to do and are on the right track but it's taking a lot of time. Another thing is the USA is not the world. Yes in the USA they have lost a lot of their user base but in the rest of world they are doing quite well.

I haven't look at news etc. outside of what people post here but have to wonder if in the rest of the world if there is all of this doom and gloom everywhere about RIM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-16-11 11:07 AM
    I haven't look at news etc. outside of what people post here but have to wonder if in the rest of the world if there is all of this doom and gloom everywhere about RIM.
    In the UK, RIM has the largest marketshare of any handset maker apparently. That's the good news.

All week, the UK serious newspapers have been running "Failing Corp Fails... Recovers, Fails Again!" stories about RIM and the BIS fiasco. A RIM statement saying that the reason the failover hadn't kicked in because "it was the wrong kind of failure" was treated by the tech-press with contempt and ridicule.

There's been a number of stories about the service providers being livid with RIM over how it was left to them to explain the situation to their customers in the face of a total comms shutdown from RIM.

Today, the Observer (a major Sunday heavyweight newspaper), has a 2-page spread titled: "Service restored, but BlackBerry may never repair its reputation" with a sub-head of: "Under pressure from Apple, and with a demanding clientele furious over a lengthy blackout, the pioneering mobile firm has suffered a startling fall from grace".

Need I go on?

It hasn't been front-page news though. That honour went to our Secretary of State for Defence, who resigned on Friday after an unrelenting series of disclosures about his inappropriate relationship with a lobbyist. I think that also might put the lie to the "all publicity is good" mantra I've seen mentioned a few times in this forum... it didn't help him!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-16-11 at 12:42 PM.
    10-16-11 12:39 PM
    really it is all subjective for each person they have their slant nd preferences so the tech world can only give info its what the consumer does with the info and also experience of the device thats important
    10-16-11 12:59 PM
    I used to love RIM and BB. However my experience and my company's experience with quality was horrible in the last few years. The opposite has been true as we switched away. The whining about how it is unfair and the tech world hating RIM sounds a lot like GM and Ford in the 80's. There are reasons people switched away and talk negative, and it is not because of a conspiracy, brainwashing or that people are stupid. You may not agree or recognize the reasons, but you might wake up like loyal American car buyers did in the 90's and realize your choice of company/product had real issues and a lack of good marketing. I know a few guys who hung on to DOS for years because it was more efficient and Windows had bugs.

RIM can turn this whole negativity around, and I hope they do. I would like to see them as a viable choice again to meet my needs and quality standards. However, after going through 4 8830's, 4 Storms, 2 Tours, and 2 Storm2s, they have a ways to go. Our phone replacements at my company are deemed to be 1/4 of what they were when we were 100% BB two years ago. BB 7 looks good and so do the new devices. Maybe I will try them again when QNX hits.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-16-11 02:08 PM
    In the UK, RIM has the largest marketshare of any handset maker apparently. That's the good news.

All week, the UK serious newspapers have been running "Failing Corp Fails... Recovers, Fails Again!" stories about RIM and the BIS fiasco. A RIM statement saying that the reason the failover hadn't kicked in because "it was the wrong kind of failure" was treated by the tech-press with contempt and ridicule.

There's been a number of stories about the service providers being livid with RIM over how it was left to them to explain the situation to their customers in the face of a total comms shutdown from RIM.

Today, the Observer (a major Sunday heavyweight newspaper), has a 2-page spread titled: "Service restored, but BlackBerry may never repair its reputation" with a sub-head of: "Under pressure from Apple, and with a demanding clientele furious over a lengthy blackout, the pioneering mobile firm has suffered a startling fall from grace".

Need I go on?

It hasn't been front-page news though. That honour went to our Secretary of State for Defence, who resigned on Friday after an unrelenting series of disclosures about his inappropriate relationship with a lobbyist. I think that also might put the lie to the "all publicity is good" mantra I've seen mentioned a few times in this forum... it didn't help him!
    LOL I think you let me know how things are going over there. Sounds like the SS for defence was having more fun
    10-16-11 06:23 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD