I always check for my tech news here at Crackberry, cnet, BGR, and Engadget. And since the outages... all of them are basically screaming on my RSS feeds, "RIM IS DEAD! FINALLY!" I don't get it, Android is full of issues from malware to poor quality control, and the iPhone 4s is underwhelming at best. I just purchased a Bold 9930 from Verizon and the speeds this phone delivers is amazing. Instant everything. No droid or iPhones I've played with have that kind of speed. The keyboard is amazing. The touch screen is much more fluid than an Android phone, which I have always found a bit clunky.

So I guess I just don't get why people hate RIM so much. It's not like they screw people over. They provide solid smartphones from all price ranges to people all around the world. Yet these tech sites hate them so much. Anybody have some wisdom for me on why the world hates RIM?
    10-15-11 10:17 AM
    Make sure you don't confuse the "tech world" with the "world." The two are not the same.
    anon(4018671) and Jake2826 like this.
    10-15-11 10:19 AM
    I haven't seen anything like "RIM IS DEAD! FINALLY!" from CrackBerry at all, and I subscribe to their RSS feeds.

Maybe It's just me, but tech news is just that, but if I want BlackBerry info I go to CrackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 10-15-11 at 10:25 AM.
    10-15-11 10:23 AM
    I was posting this the same time you were having your moment. Lets just relax a little.

Just wanted to post some interesting observations seen here in Thailand. BlackBerry is everywhere! People using it everywhere, on TV, yes. I just saw the Bold 9900 on the top Thai soap programme. #1 tv rated show/movie during primetime! Every tv show has BB on tv, iphone aswell just not as many. (i'm not trying to say BB is alone there)
    I've counted 3 bold 9900 sightings during two trips to the mall in the last week, one 9810. Other BB6 devices are everywhere. 3 to 1 BB to iphone in the wild, fair to say.
    Thai people have tech smarts a and money. They're buying BB7 devices and using them all over the place! How the device was ment to be used, for communicating and interacting. Not watching TV, on a 3.5" device at 3 times the price.
    Its clear here in Thailand that BB will have no trouble getting through the product shift to QNX. some People here in the crackberry comunity need to have a little more understanding of the world outside their doors.
    10-15-11 10:26 AM
    The touch screen on that thing is no where near top level androids. I had to pinch 5 or 6 times to get it to zoom in! To say the iphone 4s is underwhelming is nonsense. I can't stand Apple, but that IS a quality device they have out. Siri is INNOVATIVE. AND this is 2011 buddy! You SHOULD be able to watch a movie on your phone! What!? You wouldn't want that feature? In addition to the basics? Talk, text, email? Maybe it's a generation gap. Sick and tired of people bashing others preferences. "O thats a toy!" "Blackberry is a REAL phone!" So on and so forth. It's childish and petty.
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-15-11 10:55 AM
    (Quote) It's childish and petty.
    you seem to have that part well in hand.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-15-11 11:32 AM
    The touch screen on that thing is no where near top level androids. I had to pinch 5 or 6 times to get it to zoom in! To say the iphone 4s is underwhelming is nonsense. I can't stand Apple, but that IS a quality device they have out. Siri is INNOVATIVE. AND this is 2011 buddy! You SHOULD be able to watch a movie on your phone! What!? You wouldn't want that feature? In addition to the basics? Talk, text, email? Maybe it's a generation gap. Sick and tired of people bashing others preferences. "O thats a toy!" "Blackberry is a REAL phone!" So on and so forth. It's childish and petty.
    Siri is the dumbest idea Apple has pushed yet. So lets see, I make voice notes to my phone and it will alert me with an audible response as like a reminder later on. I can only imagine the public embarrassment of prostate exam reminders, picking up tampons for your woman, or worse? I will stick with typing in a calendar and get a vibrate reminder that only I know about. The world does not revolve around me, I do not need the world knowing my business everywhere. Siri is just stupid...

So what is honestly innovative about the iphone4S? I am not saying its a bad device, but its not innovative or ground breaking. Its a solid device that does many practical phone functions well. The Bold 9930 is also not an innovative device, but I personally would rather have one due to that killer keyboard and also doing the practical phone functions well.

Well if you think watching a movie on a 3'' screen is important, you picked the right phone and I wish I was your optometrist, bc I will be making money off of your blindness. Its 2011, guess what in the 1980's they had portable handheld TV's. They were clunky, required a lot of batteries, lousy antenna reception and never caught on. No one wanted to watch anything on such a small screen.

But now its 2011 and the reception issue is fixed but wasting battery power, data, and squinting to see things still remain. Are people just dumber in 2011?
    10-15-11 11:51 AM
    I have to preface by saying that I don't watch movies but if I did, I'd want to watch on a regular TV, not a phone. My phone is great for what I need, to communicate with others. And I know 10 years from now, I will not care to watch a movie on my phone.

The world does not revolve around movies or the people who watch them.

Dapper37, Snap51 and Tiassa like this.
    10-15-11 12:06 PM
    I just purchased a Bold 9930 from Verizon and the speeds this phone delivers is amazing. Instant everything. No droid or iPhones I've played with have that kind of speed. The keyboard is amazing. The touch screen is much more fluid than an Android phone, which I have always found a bit clunky.

So I guess I just don't get why people hate RIM so much. It's not like they screw people over. They provide solid smartphones from all price ranges to people all around the world. Yet these tech sites hate them so much. Anybody have some wisdom for me on why the world hates RIM?
    The "tech world" is all about innovation. They want to see tomorrow's hardware and software today..not tomorrow. RIM is still passing off yesterday's hardware as new..and not bringing anything new to the mobile game. That imo is why they are shunned by the tech community. Even QNX didn't really bring anything innovative to the table imo..
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-15-11 12:10 PM
    You SHOULD be able to watch a movie on your phone! What!? You wouldn't want that feature? In addition to the basics? Talk, text, email?
    I watch movies on my BlackBerry so what's your point?
    10-15-11 12:15 PM
    I have to preface by saying that I don't watch movies but if I did, I'd want to watch on a regular TV, not a phone. My phone is great for what I need, to communicate with others. And I know 10 years from now, I will not care to watch a movie on my phone.

The world does not revolve around movies or the people who watch them.
    It's not necessarily about watching movies from your phone. You can connect your phone to any HDMI input and stream from your phone to the tv. For travelling folk (like myself)..this is a wonderful thing..seeing's how most hotel rooms now come equipped with flatscreen tvs and hdmi hook ups.

Of course..I can also use the big screen tv to "bridge" my phone to it (like all the PB users love to say) and do work stuff from it to. Or remote access my work computer at my office (from my phone or tv) and do work stuff off it as well. All from one hotel tv. (and my phone of course)
    Last edited by Rickroller; 10-15-11 at 12:19 PM.
    Caymancroc and Chrisy like this.
    10-15-11 12:17 PM
    The lack of quality apps on the Blackberry platform is a big drawback for many people and its one of the main reasons why RIM's market share is shrinking. People here seem to forget that. I'm talking about the general populous. I know a lot of blackberry users on this forum don't care about apps but most people in the world do. Having a wealth of apps opens up the device to be an exceptional entertainment, information and productivity platform. Blackberry is really awesome with email and they have the best keyboards around and that was really all you needed 5 - 10 years ago but today most people, aside from those on Blackberry forums, expect more then just a great email experience. I've seen people on this forum saying how their email arrives on their Blackberry 1 or 2 seconds faster then an iPhone and that's why they love Blackberry. I'm thinking to myself that person is totally missing the bigger picture and if that's his criteria of what a great smartphone is then congrats. Too bad because there's literally a world of possibilities that he's missing.
    Last edited by collide.six; 10-15-11 at 12:30 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-15-11 12:24 PM
    It's not necessarily about watching movies from your phone. You can connect your phone to any HDMI input and stream from your phone to the tv. For travelling folk (like myself)..this is a wonderful thing..seeing's how most hotel rooms now come equipped with flatscreen tvs and hdmi hook ups.

Of course..I can also use the big screen tv to "bridge" my phone to it (like all the PB users love to say) and do work stuff from it to. Or remote access my work computer at my office (from my phone or tv) and do work stuff off it as well. All from one hotel tv. (and my phone of course)
    Okay for you movie buffs, but still not a factor to me.

10-15-11 12:31 PM
    Its not that I disagree with you but you need to understand media isn't a priority for say a BB Bold user. When you look at all the features the consumers want that are purchasing non-BB phones and compare the core features of BB phones, the toy comparison is valid.
    Apple has done a great job of progressively getting business apps to their phones tho.
    Take away the business apps and compare the cores OSs and I'd say iPhones are toys for sure....but not so much with IOS5
    10-15-11 08:05 PM
    It's all about personal preference. It's silly to argue about what is important to each other in devices, because it's all subjective. I don't have any movies on my iPhone, but I'd consider it if I was planning a trip or long plane ride. I don't take my laptop with me because it's too heavy and I don't have a tablet. I wouldn't be opposed to watching a movie or two on my phone to get me through a long plane ride. Would I use it for my main source for watching movies? Absolutely not, I have a nice 52" plasma TV that I can use (when my husband isn't playing on the Xbox ).

iPhones don't have to be toys if that's how the user prefers to use them. My favorite app is actually a checkbook balancing app. I LOVE this thing. I'd hardly consider that a "toy" app. And this particular app wasn't even available on my BlackBerry.
    10-15-11 08:36 PM
    It's all about personal preference. It's silly to argue about what is important to each other in devices, because it's all subjective. I don't have any movies on my iPhone, but I'd consider it if I was planning a trip or long plane ride. I don't take my laptop with me because it's too heavy and I don't have a tablet. I wouldn't be opposed to watching a movie or two on my phone to get me through a long plane ride. Would I use it for my main source for watching movies? Absolutely not, I have a nice 52" plasma TV that I can use (when my husband isn't playing on the Xbox ).

iPhones don't have to be toys if that's how the user prefers to use them. My favorite app is actually a checkbook balancing app. I LOVE this thing. I'd hardly consider that a "toy" app. And this particular app wasn't even available on my BlackBerry.
    I have MobileCheckbook on my Blackberry- it's a checkbook balancing app. and works great. You like your iphone- I like my Blackberry. Different strokes for different folks.

I do have to add that I have a nail salon and I can't tell you how many of the women with iphones do use them as toys to entertain their kids. Gotta say those kids whining for their mom's phone all the time is downright annoying!!!
    10-15-11 08:46 PM
    Maddie, I tried the MobileCheckbook on my Blackberry and it just wasn't that great for me. I went back to using a regular checkbook register (nightmare!).

I can't believe people give kids their iPhones to play with! I work in a bank and I'm always amazed when I see a parent hand their child this $200+ device. All I can think of is icky, sticky child fingers with germs and boogers all over such a pretty phone! That's definitely not something I'd ever do if I had children.
    10-15-11 09:16 PM
    I can't believe people still use Cheques!!

at 29 years old I have written 3 cheques in my entire life,
    10-15-11 09:21 PM
    I don't write many checks, maybe one or two a month, but I still use a register to keep track of everything in my bank account. I like to balance everything to the penny.
    10-15-11 09:27 PM
    ...I can't believe people give kids their iPhones to play with! I work in a bank and I'm always amazed when I see a parent hand their child this $200+ device. All I can think of is icky, sticky child fingers with germs and boogers all over such a pretty phone! That's definitely not something I'd ever do if I had children.
    Sticky child fingers with germs and boogers are not so icky when they're your own kids. You will be doing it without thinking twice when you have kids.
    10-15-11 09:32 PM
    Sticky child fingers with germs and boogers are not so icky when they're your own kids. You will be doing it without thinking twice when you have kids.
    Haha, I'm sure it's not a big deal when they are your own children. But I don't like most other children (babies are great, kids... not so much). For now, I'm sticking with my dogs.
    10-15-11 09:39 PM
    To the person that mentioned Siri giving you audible reminders. Thats not how it works (someone correct me if im wrong). If you set a reminder to "pick up tampons" when that reminder is due it just pops up on your phone. THe phone doesnt say that out loud. And most that have used Siri say that it is a game changer and will only get better with time.

Just remember RIM didnt think much of the original iphone either and look where we are 4-5 years later. Dont look at the present look what Siri could be.
    10-15-11 10:54 PM
    I can't agree with you there Jake- I have two adult children and no way are they getting their grubby hands on MY Blackberry!
    10-15-11 11:05 PM
    I always check for my tech news here at Crackberry, cnet, BGR, and Engadget. And since the outages... all of them are basically screaming on my RSS feeds, "RIM IS DEAD! FINALLY!" I don't get it, Android is full of issues from malware to poor quality control, and the iPhone 4s is underwhelming at best. I just purchased a Bold 9930 from Verizon and the speeds this phone delivers is amazing. Instant everything. No droid or iPhones I've played with have that kind of speed. The keyboard is amazing. The touch screen is much more fluid than an Android phone, which I have always found a bit clunky.

I'll take a partial stab. Apple and Google are Silicon Valley companies, as are lots of the most widely read tech blogs. Not saying they can't be objective, but Apple and Google are the "home teams". RIM's made some mistakes, been arrogant when they were on top. Complacent too. You name it. So while I think they deserve some of this, the piling on I think is influenced by the fact they are outsiders to the tech main-steam press. To what degree... who knows.

As an example there's a pretty popular netcast/podcast I watch. The other day they were talking about how these "Silicon Valley" companies are "destroying" the cell phone companies that once reigned supreme. Referring to Nokia, RIM, Ericsson. Their tone led me to believe they were happy this is occurring to some degree.
    Last edited by southlander; 10-15-11 at 11:26 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-15-11 11:18 PM
    Haha, I'm sure it's not a big deal when they are your own children. But I don't like most other children (babies are great, kids... not so much). For now, I'm sticking with my dogs.
    Amen. If your dogs act up, you can't put them outside without being arrested. But then you decide to have actual children, and then this stuff happens:

'I'm not staying here!' Three-year-old flees first day of nursery and walks home to mum | Mail Online

The gist: Woman drops 3 year-old son Alfie off at a nursery school for his first day. A short time later, the mother, now back at home, hears the doorbell ring. It's Alfie, alone. Apparently Alfie decided he'd had enough of the school (on his first day), so he scaled a 3-foot wall, crossed a busy street, walked home and rang the doorbell. Mom then takes him back to the school, which was not even aware Alfie had opted out.

Alfie is now attending a different, more "secure" school, meaning they'll hopefully be aware the next time he makes a prison break. Maybe.
    10-15-11 11:44 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD