But Microsoft is no where close to failing.
    07-09-12 03:05 PM
    But Microsoft is no where close to failing.
    I'm sure the Surface will be just as popular at the Zune!

Seriously, they're fragmenting their marketshare and aren't going to survive the platform wars.
    07-09-12 03:08 PM
    You're right ... a "soccer mom" might not specifically head to Gizmodo to find out what they have to say about Blackberry, but I think it's a safe argument to say that MOST people who are in the market for a smart phone will do some research first.
    Please define MOST. I take MOST to mean the majority. Which implies, in your opinion, that at least 51% of people looking for cell phones go to some online website looking for advice.

I'm sorry. I simply do not agree. I would argue that MOST folks get advice of suggestions from the people closest to them.

They ask "What phone do you have? Does it work for you?" to their friends, family members, co-workers...

The average consumer doesn't Root/Jailbreak/Tweak their phones.

The average consumer doesn't make an emotional investment in their cell phone of choice.

They make calls, txt, take photos, Tweet, watch videos, play games etc, etc ad nauseam.

That's what 51%(at a minimum) of cell phone users do with their phones.

And I'd be willing to bet the farm on that.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-09-12 at 09:36 PM.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    07-09-12 03:29 PM
    Please define MOST. I take MOST to mean the majority. Which implies, in your opinion, that at least 51% of people looking for cell phones go to some online website looking for advice.

I'm sorry. I simply don not agree. I would argue that MOST folks get advice of suggestions from the people closest to them.

They ask "What phone do you have? Does it work for you?" top their friends, family members, co-workers...

The average consumer doesn't Root/Jailbreak/Tweak their phones.

The average consumer doesn't make an emotional investment in their cell phone of choice.

They make calls, txt, take photos, Tweet, watch videos, play games etc, etc ad nauseam.

That's what 51%(at a minimum) of cell phone users do with their phones.

And I'd be willing to bet the farm on that.
    I strongly disagree with you on one point.

People DO made emotional investments on their cell phones of choice. They also try to further validate their own choices by trying to convince others that what they have is best. This goes even further for a smaller margin that badmouth anything that isn't what they use.

I don't think you give the average customer enough credit. Not everyone is blindly content to just stay confined to the "box".
    07-09-12 03:43 PM
    i find the Verge.com to be the best tech site very informative and well designed site
    07-09-12 04:04 PM
    I think for the most part, people live in their bubbles. Even today with the mass bombardment of information. Nearly any media form of business generally lives with Apple products. Music production, Video production, graphics designers and news outlets all primarily use Apple products. They're creative, and usually are open minded but narrow view, and generally very sensitive. Apple's rise in the early 2000's was due to the fact they did certain things better with graphics, audio and video than what PC did. PC gamers would argue the Apple used to perform better in those areas, but they built some pretty insane machines anyway. (FWIW - Really, it was that Apple had machines with software written to them, where PC was a more open platform, and those programs like ProTools and Creative Suite didn't have problems with Windows, but Windows had troubles with hardware)

But people today seem so much more emotionally invested in what they think is best, and usually assume the masses agree with them. Ford, Chevy, Toyota or Blackberry, Apple, Android. With the cyber buffer of the internet where you can make just about whatever visceral statement you choose to make, and there are no consequences for crossing the line, and you have what we have today. People think their choice is the best, and are grossly offended by those who disagree, and retaliate in the heat their offense.

The reason I say its a result of people's personal bubbles, the media seems to always use Apple as their measuring stick. Its what they use and see all those around them use the most. But I think that it's Android who has a 51% market share. Yet if you simply went off of what you read on tech sites, you would think Apple owns the cell phone a tablet market, and all other competitors are just child's play.

It's like the News Media, most of them in the business are liberal, and thus the news tends to have a liberal slant. It comes across as liberals are good, smart and correct and the competition is stupid, racist and wrong.

The tech media is never going to "like" RIM or Blackberry, and there is no such thing as unbiased anything any more. People will continue to live in those bubbles, and get mad when someone else doesn't agree with their view of what they think everyone else already knows.

It's just the way it is.
    hoopitz likes this.
    07-09-12 04:22 PM

I'm sorry. I simply don not agree. I would argue that MOST folks get advice of suggestions from the people closest to them.
    I didn't say cell phones, I said when people are in the market for a smart phone. And I didn't mean that their research was solely done online. With that clarification in mind, I would, without a doubt, say that most people (more than 50%) do some sort of research before they buy a smart phone.

In my reply, I hypothesized the scenario in which they might not go directly online to research-they will get their information from whatever source they perceive to be credible. That could include friends, family, coworkers, mobile phone sales people, etc... What I question is, from where are these people getting THEIR information? Is it a biased, fictional Gizmodo article? Possibly.
    Last edited by hoopitz; 07-09-12 at 05:14 PM.
    07-09-12 05:05 PM
    I strongly disagree with you on one point.

People DO made emotional investments on their cell phones of choice. They also try to further validate their own choices by trying to convince others that what they have is best. This goes even further for a smaller margin that badmouth anything that isn't what they use.

I don't think you give the average customer enough credit. Not everyone is blindly content to just stay confined to the "box".
    I'm sorry. Maybe you misread my post. I didn't say people don't emotional investments in their choice of cell phone. Possibly you do.

I said the average consumer doesn't. Loyalists do.

Logically, there can't be any emotional investment for someone who tries a BB/iPhone/Samsung/HTC for the first time.
    07-09-12 05:07 PM
    What I question is, from where are these people are getting THEIR information? Is it a biased, fictional Gizmodo article? Possibly.
    You've come to this hypothesis because it supports the conclusion you've already decided on. That being that website like Gizmodo(which I personally can attest to never having visited or even heard of before joining Crackberry in Dec). I'd never heard of BGR or any of the other sites you guys mention here.

This line of thinking could quickly become something similar to a dog chasing it's tail.
    07-09-12 05:22 PM

Are tech sites pissing anyone else off?.....

Although I don't agree with it, I realize that the average news site is just eager to get a story out, so they misconstrue things, and just rush it to publish, but shouldn't there be a little bit more integrity from the sites/blogs that are specifically all about technology?!?

Gizmodo has, by far, some of the most negative articles about RIM that I have ever read, and most of them are based on nothing but an ignorant bloggers opinion! Somehow, however, Apple can do no wrong ... surprise, surprise. Does this annoy anyone else as much as it does me?
    I would have to be honest and say that NO tech site pisses me off more than Crackberry.com.

Of course I wouldn't dare say why, which of course is the problem.
    07-09-12 05:43 PM
    Zdnet is the site that pisses me off the most, they have their noses so far up Apple and Google's $ss if they sneeze they will blow out 1/0's
    07-09-12 05:46 PM
    I think for the most part, people live in their bubbles. Even today with the mass bombardment of information. Nearly any media form of business generally lives with Apple products. Music production, Video production, graphics designers and news outlets all primarily use Apple products. They're creative, and usually are open minded but narrow view, and generally very sensitive. Apple's rise in the early 2000's was due to the fact they did certain things better with graphics, audio and video than what PC did. PC gamers would argue the Apple used to perform better in those areas, but they built some pretty insane machines anyway. (FWIW - Really, it was that Apple had machines with software written to them, where PC was a more open platform, and those programs like ProTools and Creative Suite didn't have problems with Windows, but Windows had troubles with hardware)

But people today seem so much more emotionally invested in what they think is best, and usually assume the masses agree with them. Ford, Chevy, Toyota or Blackberry, Apple, Android. With the cyber buffer of the internet where you can make just about whatever visceral statement you choose to make, and there are no consequences for crossing the line, and you have what we have today. People think their choice is the best, and are grossly offended by those who disagree, and retaliate in the heat their offense.

The reason I say its a result of people's personal bubbles, the media seems to always use Apple as their measuring stick. Its what they use and see all those around them use the most. But I think that it's Android who has a 51% market share. Yet if you simply went off of what you read on tech sites, you would think Apple owns the cell phone a tablet market, and all other competitors are just child's play.

It's like the News Media, most of them in the business are liberal, and thus the news tends to have a liberal slant. It comes across as liberals are good, smart and correct and the competition is stupid, racist and wrong.

The tech media is never going to "like" RIM or Blackberry, and there is no such thing as unbiased anything any more. People will continue to live in those bubbles, and get mad when someone else doesn't agree with their view of what they think everyone else already knows.

It's just the way it is.
    Wow! There's so much wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.

So I won't.

By the way Stupid, Racist and Wrong people do exist.

And being liberal or conservative has nothing to do with Apple's success. Sorry to be the one to tell you that.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-09-12 at 09:57 PM.
    07-09-12 09:54 PM
    Wow! There's so much wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.

So I won't.

By the way Stupid, Racist and Wrong people do exist.

And being liberal or conservative has nothing to do with Apple's success. Sorry to be the one to tell you that.
    That's interesting, because you just made my point for me.
    07-09-12 10:10 PM
    That's interesting, because you just made my point for me.
    Glad I could be of service then...
    07-09-12 11:45 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD