Would you say that this help to somewhat shorten the learning curve if all apps, whether they're 1st or 3rd party, behave in a consistent way due to Cascades? For example, would you be able to access the options menu the same way across most apps?

I also share your thoughts about what will happen with BB10 after launch. Word of mouth advertising would not only help to curb public opinion about RIM (they'd be more likely to listen to you than a TV commercial when they hear that BlackBerry's "back"), it would also familiarize the public with the swipe gestures and the overall usage of the OS. As a reward for your efforts, you'd probably get more BBM contacts. :P
    Honestly, I don't see a huge learning curve in learning BB10. iOS users will quickly learn that the swipe from the bottom replaces the "Home" button, and Android users... well, Android users will just revel in the consistency.

And, yes, the idea with Cascades is that all apps will share basic behaviors, like swiping down from the top for a settings screen or being able to "peek" at notifications anytime.

The more I look at the "active frames" page, the more I like it. One of the most frustrating things I find with pretty much every other platform I've used is figuring out which apps are open and finding a way to close the ones I don't need. With active frames, it's easy navigation and no guessing. BB10's ability to truly multitask will help there, too, by allowing active programs to continually update themselves.

This is one of those features that people might not "get" when it's first explained to them, but once they've had a chance to live with it for a time they'll see it as a real advantage.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-12-12 07:24 PM
26 12