I have recently been considering a "rocket stick" so that i can access internet on my laptop wherever. I recently heard an ad talking about combining data plans; does anyone know if this in fact means that if i connect my laptop to my BlackBerry that it would work like a rocket stick and save me from paying for another service? the concern i have is that this might use up my bucket of airtime while connected; can anyone confirm this please? any help or feedback would be appreciated. thanks.
    05-31-11 12:11 AM
    I don't know what a "rocket stick" is, but tethering does not use airtime. tethering uses data. For most carriers, you will need to pay separately for tethering.
    05-31-11 06:08 AM
    "rocket stick" is typically a usb adapter with a SIM card, to have wireless internet access on your laptop or PC...

to the OP -> call your carrier... if they do not charge extra to teather your blackberry, then it would be easier to go that route, as you could use your bb's data allotment instead of adding a second plan...

if they do charge for teathering, it might be better to get a second plan for your "rocket stick", depending on how often you plan on using it...
    05-31-11 07:53 AM
    ... or buy the BB app called 'Tether' for a one time fee and be done with it. Using your existing data plan on your phone and does not require the tether option on your service contract.
    05-31-11 01:20 PM
    I did call the carrier and they said that teathering was not an option and that I would have to pay for the secondary data usage combined service;
    either the rep didnt know what she was talking about (or what I was talking about) or she wanted to sell me something desperately.

please let me know where to find the bb app for teathering (maybe attach a link please?)... thanks.
    06-13-11 09:14 PM
    It's called "Tether". Just look in the CrackBerry App Store.

And the rep most likely DID know what she was talking about because as I said, most carriers charge extra for tethering.
    06-14-11 06:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD